Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Truth or..well, uh truth.

So I thought we could open this up this old time thread topic again since we have a different member base.

The way it works? Someone can ask a question about me (aside from it being a loss of personal privacy in the identity thief or obscene manner) that I am bound to answer. The person asking the question pays a bit of a price though. They are bound to answer the question next asked (who is then bound to answer the next question, etc, etc).

So, anyone up for it? Anyone willing to risk it?
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Truth or..well, uh truth.

Well, I love talking about myself like any good amateur narcissist so I love these kinds of games. I also am curious about other peoples lives.

So Squatch. Tell me a bit about the first time you remember feeling significant personal shame. What was the situation and what insights do you think the event has in reflection from who you are today?
    Feed me some debate pellets!

3. Thanks Squatch347 thanked for this post
    Likes GoldPhoenix liked this post
    Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Great question. With the caveat that this is the first significant shame I can remember (I'm sure there are earlier ones), was in Middle School. I joined the wrestling team and after a few months just wasn't that into it anymore. So I quit, but didn't tell my parents. One day my Dad came to pick me up from school (my parents were divorced) and found out from my coach that I wasn't on the team any more. When he confronted me (I had been telling him it was going fine) it wasn't just the lie that was embarrassing, but the lack of necessity of the lie. My Dad didn't care about the actual team (maybe I felt he did), the Coach didn't care (so why did I make up a story concerning a surgery I had had?) it was just weakness. Weakness that I didn't want to try anymore on the team and weakness that I wasn't able to tell anyone up front.

So what did I learn? Probably not as much as I should have. I got better at making stories consistent unfortunately. Later, a while later, I realized that I really needed to evaluate the other person. Most of the time just being upfront is far, far easier. Later still I really grasped that it is respectful, and if you value the person at all you need to be forthright with them.

Hope that answered the mail.

So...who has a question for Sig?
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

5. Thanks Sigfried thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sig: At the end of the movie "The Time Machine" (1960) Rod Taylor departs for the future to be with his new love and to guide the Eloi in rebuilding civilization. He takes three books with him presumably to help.

Which three books would you take and why?
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Well they wouldn't be on kindle

My book reading tends to be all fiction and I think if I were heading to re-build civilization I'd want mostly things that are practical. So for me, that would be some basic sciences.

#1: A book on planting and raising basic food crops. This one looks good
    http://www.amazon.com/Tauntons-Compl...FXTMJC5FVA1199

#2: You need to make things. I think the basics like rope and wheels and such you can sort out for yourself but metalworking is unknown to me (melting rocks?) so I'll need a basic guide. Hard to find, probably don't need to actually smelt at first, lots of scrap bound to be around. So this looks good.
    http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Moder.../dp/0898158966

#3. Last up, I may need some help with manipulating these people. I don't do well with stupid folk generally. I've heard this book is good for that, I believe many cult leaders have used it over the years. Sounds about right for me.
    http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friend.../dp/0671027034

----- And now ------

You dear reader may ask of Cowboy X a question and receive truth!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Cowboy,

What do you do for a living? Is it the same thing that you wanted to be when you were a kid, or did you (like most people) realize that it's a great thing that one's life is not set in stone by the whimsy of a 5 year old? =)

You don't have to give any identifiable information, of course, just the general area.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose I wanted to be some kind of scientist when I was a child. I am old enough to have had ALL of those wonderful chemistry kits (you know the ones with all of the substances they are now rounding up) a microscope and a telescope. I also had a geology kit which included a sample of uranium ore...I think, or maybe it was radium. Anyway, it was stuff you would never get today. (I still have the microscope...from SEARS...that works perfectly to this day for its limited magnification).

I'm a trained social and physical scientist that currently works in administration at a large private non-profit museum. Science is currently on the back burner as I deal with the day to day. I would like to return to it, and to teaching also, but I'm needed where I am and am also in a secure, profitable position with nice benefits...compared to being a shovel bum anyways.

However, I never entirely leave it. I'm currently studying native New England flora and their uses by Native Americans and Colonists.

I realize that this might not fit with your question about pursuing what we wanted when we were children. However, I think it does. I was naturally curious and was always digging (ironic much). One time I was digging a long trench in an alley in my neighborhood and the police came. The neighbors though I was making a trap to hurt someone...lol. I was also always building in the woods, forts, towers, etc. and was fascinated by water, running water, dams, making dams in streams, channels, pipes, storm drains, whatever. For this reason I was sent away to be an engineer - which I did not take to - so I switched to the social sciences, still keeping my interest in the physical sciences.

NOT a popular choice with the family but the CORRECT one as I found my true interest to employ my curiosity.

---------- Post added at 06:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 AM ----------

-----------------------------------

Question for GP?
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Hello GoldPhoenix,

Ok, two questions for you, though you don't have to answer them both if you don't want to.

1. What is your happiest thought, your most joyous mind state that brings you great peace, comfort and a sense of wholeness? It doesn't have to be something you do or an action, but it can include that.

2. If you could prove anything that you personally currently don't have proof of, what would you like to have proof of in your life?
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    Hello GoldPhoenix,

Ok, two questions for you, though you don't have to answer them both if you don't want to.

1. What is your happiest thought, your most joyous mind state that brings you great peace, comfort and a sense of wholeness? It doesn't have to be something you do or an action, but it can include that.
    Those are sort of different things, a happy state of mind and a happy thought. My happiest thought? I'm not sure that I have just one. Let's go with camping as a young child --specifically catching crayfish, wading in the river, and watching fish in the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic
    2. If you could prove anything that you personally currently don't have proof of, what would you like to have proof of in your life?
    Hmm, this would have to be one of the Millennium Prizes, the "Proof the existence and mass gap in Yang-Mills theory." You may read about it here. The hope is that in solving this problem, one will have to develop what amounts to essentially a fourth formulation of quantum field theory, or at least a rigorous definition of a quantum gauge theory in 4 dimensions. In knowing this, it is hoped that we may then shed light, in a serious manner, on the questions of non-perturbative quantum field theory. This is, even by itself, an immensely impressive feat. It would put QFT back on firmly mathematically well-defined grounds and help give mathematicians a better ability to help physicists solve the hard problems in theoretical physics.

For instance, if non-perturbative quantum field theory questions may be asked of YM theories, then one may use the AdS/CFT correspondence (Which relates Super-Yang-Mills theories to Superstring/Supergravity theories) to probe the fully non-perturbative aspects of Superstring Theory, i.e. to probe Quantum Geometry and Quantum Gravity of Superstring Theory. One might then, finally, understand what a UV complete solution for fully quantum black holes might look like.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix View Post
    Hmm, this would have to be one of the Millennium Prizes, the "Proof the existence and mass gap in Yang-Mills theory." You may read about it here. The hope is that in solving this problem, one will have to develop what amounts to essentially a fourth formulation of quantum field theory, or at least a rigorous definition of a quantum gauge theory in 4 dimensions. In knowing this, it is hoped that we may then shed light, in a serious manner, on the questions of non-perturbative quantum field theory. This is, even by itself, an immensely impressive feat. It would put QFT back on firmly mathematically well-defined grounds and help give mathematicians a better ability to help physicists solve the hard problems in theoretical physics.
    What ground would you say is it standing at the present time?

For instance, if non-perturbative quantum field theory questions may be asked of YM theories, then one may use the AdS/CFT correspondence (Which relates Super-Yang-Mills theories to Superstring/Supergravity theories) to probe the fully non-perturbative aspects of Superstring Theory, i.e. to probe Quantum Geometry and Quantum Gravity of Superstring Theory. One might then, finally, understand what a UV complete solution for fully quantum black holes might look like.
    How does this differ from a Grand Unified Theory (ToE)?
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    What ground would you say is it standing at the present time?
    I'm sure that there's people working on it, but I'm not familiar with anyone making serious ground on it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic
    How does this differ from a Grand Unified Theory (ToE)?
    Well, a Grand Unified Theory is not a Theory of Everything. There are (at least) four forces in Nature:

1.) Gravity
    2.) Electromagnetism
    3.) Weak Nuclear
    4.) Strong Nuclear

The Standard Model of Particle Physics --which now every particle and almost of every interaction has been checked experimentally-- unifies electromagnetism and the weak nuclear force into the "Electroweak force." Grand Unified Theories (GUT) merge the electroweak and the strong nuclear force into a single force.

Now, GUT is actually relatively easy to do; in fact, the problem here is that there's at least six different ways to do it (depending on the character of the GUT symmetry; SU(5), SO(10), SO(16), G_2, E_6, or E_8). This is because the particles that propagate forces are all similar to each other, and combining them is not a tremendous task, at some level. They are all described by Yang-Mills theories (with Higgs fields and some fermions).

A Theory of Everything is a theory which incorporates quantum gravity into a GUT, thus describing all of the four-forces simultaneously as one single theory. The issue here is that quantum gravity cannot be described by a Yang-Mills theory, it must be some other theory. And this forces physicists to come up with a whole new theory, tentatively called Quantum Gravity which can consistently deal with the issues raised simultaneously by Quantum Field Theory and General Relativity. An example, although incomplete, of a Theory of Everything is Superstring Theory.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Questions for Eye4Magic...

Senior Mod

Post Thanks / Like

Eye:

What do you do for a living? I'll bet it's something interesting. Also... what's your favorite food?
    -=[Talthas]=-
    ODN Senior Moderator

ODN Rules

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I work in the IT field. I use to be a software trainer for about 10 years then merged into developing online applications. I also do a little of what Apok does -- website development. I very much like the creative aspect of developing something new for a specific purpose.

As far as foods, I like Italian dishes quite a bit; anything with sautéed fresh garlic and olive oil in it I will consider; then stir fry vegetables and Asian dishes are high up on my list; I also really like some Greek recipes especially Greek salads and creations like the Spanakopita (Spinach Pie). I’m also a big fan of some curry Indian cuisine, though not too spicy.

Then, of course, there’s freshly baked oatmeal/carob chip cookies with a cup of hot green tea. That always brings true happiness.
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

17. Likes Talthas liked this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

And now Questions for Tal. (And salute to my fellow IT peeps.)

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Tal, what are your favorite hobbies? What do you do when you're not practicing being a doctor?
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Senior Mod

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite hobbies are:

1) Tabletop RPG. Mostly d10 (Exalted, World of Darkness) but also d20 stuff. Been running games and playing since I was a kid.
    2) Music. I am a classically trained violinist (out of practice) and a self-taught guitarist (mostly blues acoustic, but several other styles), and I play at several other instruments including the shakuhachi flute and the djembe.
    3) Reading. I am a voracious reader, mostly fantasy fiction, but also philosophy and poetry. My favorite poet is Kahlil Gibran. My most recent recreational read was picking up the Collected works of H.P. Lovecraft.
    4) Camping. I love to go out and camp any chance I get. Mostly it's stationary camping, but occasionally, I can get my wife to go on an honest-to-God backpacking trip with me.
    5) Cooking. I am passably trained in French cuisine and the corollary of Cajun cooking, and I make fairly good versions of several other dishes. I'm the primary cook in my house, and people rarely pass up a chance to put their feet under my table.
    6) Entertaining. I enjoy having people over and sharing a meal or just company. It makes for a great evening.
    7) Board games or a some card games. I particularly love Pente and Backgammon, though anything that involves skill more than chance is fine with me. I am a passable Chess player, though not good enough to rank in a tournament.
    8) Trivia. I enjoy learning random things about random stuff. It makes me feel smart.
    9) Travel. I love to visit other places as often as I can, though this doesn't happen nearly as often as I'd like.
    -=[Talthas]=-
    ODN Senior Moderator

ODN Rules

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

eye4magic,

What was your favorite subject to study in or after high school?

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix View Post
    eye4magic,

What was your favorite subject to study in or after high school?
    Nutrition, health and the mind sciences.

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Talthas View Post
    My favorite hobbies are:

1) Tabletop RPG. Mostly d10 (Exalted, World of Darkness) but also d20 stuff. Been running games and playing since I was a kid.
    2) Music. I am a classically trained violinist (out of practice) and a self-taught guitarist (mostly blues acoustic, but several other styles), and I play at several other instruments including the shakuhachi flute and the djembe.
    3) Reading. I am a voracious reader, mostly fantasy fiction, but also philosophy and poetry. My favorite poet is Kahlil Gibran. My most recent recreational read was picking up the Collected works of H.P. Lovecraft.
    4) Camping. I love to go out and camp any chance I get. Mostly it's stationary camping, but occasionally, I can get my wife to go on an honest-to-God backpacking trip with me.
    5) Cooking. I am passably trained in French cuisine and the corollary of Cajun cooking, and I make fairly good versions of several other dishes. I'm the primary cook in my house, and people rarely pass up a chance to put their feet under my table.
    6) Entertaining. I enjoy having people over and sharing a meal or just company. It makes for a great evening.
    7) Board games or a some card games. I particularly love Pente and Backgammon, though anything that involves skill more than chance is fine with me. I am a passable Chess player, though not good enough to rank in a tournament.
    8) Trivia. I enjoy learning random things about random stuff. It makes me feel smart.
    9) Travel. I love to visit other places as often as I can, though this doesn't happen nearly as often as I'd like.
    Very cool, sounds like a very rounded life.
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator