Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Memorial Day

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Memorial Day

As we approach this Memorial Day the staff would like to pause to remember all those who gave their all in defense of the United States.

We also humbly remember those fallen of our Allies and allied causes who exchanged their futures for ours. Thank you, you are not forgotten.

Name:  Memorial-Day.jpg
Views: 14285
Size:  28.1 KB
    Last edited by Apokalupsis; May 23rd, 2014 at 11:54 AM.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Memorial Day

I Fought For You

I am exceedingly grateful.
    Close your eyes. Fall in love. Stay there.
    Rumi

[Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator
    ODN Rules

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I always find thanking the dead a bit odd ...

I had said that I none the less had a lot of thanks and respect for both all those who serve and especially those who have lost loved ones in service.

I very much appreciate the sacrifices made and honoring the memory of those who have died to keep the spirit of their lives alive in us all.

No problem, been there
    [ Sorry Sig, I accidentally hit edit instead of reply and deleted part of your post. Please forgive me...]
    Last edited by Sigfried; May 24th, 2014 at 04:12 PM.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    I always find thanking the dead a bit odd ...
    I think when we thank their service and sacrifice, we honor and show a level of respect for their life.
    Rumi

[Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator
    ODN Rules

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    I always find thanking the dead a bit odd
    I agree. I do not celebrate or otherwise recognize Memorial Day or Veterans Day....though I am a veteran of 2 different tours in Iraq. I don't do this for a few reasons:

First, I find it insulting that one day out of 365 is supposed to be the one day that you pause and give thanks to those that died in military service to this country. You should be grateful and reflective of their loss of life everyday. Without them, you wouldn't have the freedoms you do.

Secondly, we shouldn't be involved in this global policing efforts (Vietnam and so on) and these individuals didn't die for our freedom....they died in the course of illegal actions taken by our Congress and President against foreign governments that had NOTHING to do with our freedoms or security. It seems like our politicians use occasions like Memorial Day to justify and push their agendas and Empire building foreign polices on the rest.

I take great exception to that.
    I will no longer be replying to any post from a Liberal going forward. I will continue, as normal, to discuss topics and engage in intellectual exchanges with non-leftist

6. Thanks Sigfried thanked for this post
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
    First, I find it insulting that one day out of 365 is supposed to be the one day that you pause and give thanks to those that died in military service to this country. You should be grateful and reflective of their loss of life everyday.
    I would say most Americans are grateful everyday, just like most Christians are grateful for Christ throughout the year and not just on Christmas. Just like most people are grateful for Martin Luther King's service and life throughout the year. Nevertheless society and our government has chosen one day out of the year to pause, celebrate and be reflective as a country (united in spirit) for a purpose. [United we stand divided we fall.] And, yes, we are free to ignore this united celebration and reflection.
    Rumi

[Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator
    ODN Rules

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I do agree with Someguy to a degree that events like this tend to often have more style than substance and can be a crutch or excuse for those who want to pay more lip service than real service to veterans.

I'm sure I would fail to honor the dead because the war they fought was less than principled. Soldiers don't get to pick their wars so much, they sign up to take on whatever we throw them into. Its their intent more than the actual deeds that I feel like I honor.

Given the choice between every day treating people with respect and once a year putting on a show, I'll take the former. Then again sometimes you just want to make a grand gesture and its not something you have time for all year round so we make special days to do that sort of thing and share the experience. I think if nothing else that's just kind of practical.

As my family is all to aware, I don't do special occasions so well, but hopefully they know any time they truly need me I'll do my best. My wife an I like white boards in the house and we have a long tradition where on one of them it says...
    Every Day = I Love Anne Day
    and
    Every Day = I Love Sig Day

And we wish each other I love X Day pretty often through out the year.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to remembering the dead we should also remember those veterans who are still alive but still have physical and mental scars as a result of their service. We can't actually do anything for the dead but it is possible to help the survivors. You can support organizations such as Disabled American Veterans that are helping these people and if you know any veterans personally you should look for opportunities to express your gratitude to them.
    The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Blog

10. Likes Sigfried liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is very important to have a national day of remembrance and focus to publicly articulate our gratitude for those that sacrificed their lives for us.

The day also allows those still living to gather and pay respects to those they lost. And it forces the whole country to consider the cost of their decisions before we to go into war again.

There's also a positive aspect to those still serving that their bravery is seen to be recognized should they also have to make that sacrifice.

I don't think it takes away from caring about our veterans. I'm not sure why it needs to be mutually exclusive.