Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

This changes everything

Hewlett Packard recently announced at Discover Conference 2014, "The Machine." This new computing technology is mind-bending (like putting the data of your entire life on a cell phone). It looks like it will be rolled out around 2018.

New Type Of Computer Capable Of Calculating 640TBs Of Data In One Billionth Of A Second, Could Revolutionize Computing

Let me introduce The Machine- HP’s latest invention that could revolutionize the computing world. According to HP, The Machine is not a server, workstation, PC, device or phone but an amalgamation of all these things. It’s designed to be able to cope with the masses of data produced from the Internet of Things, which is the concept of a future network designed to connect a variety of objects and gadgets.

In order to handle this flurry of information it uses clusters of specialized cores as opposed to a small number of generalized cores. The whole thing is connected together using silicon photonics instead of traditional copper wires, boosting the speed of the system whilst reducing energy requirements. Furthermore, the technology features memristors which are resistors that are able to store information even after power loss.

The result is a system six times more powerful than existing servers that requires eighty times less energy. According to HP, The Machine can manage 160 petabytes of data in a mere 250 nanoseconds. And, what’s more, this isn’t just for huge supercomputers- it could be used in smaller devices such as smartphones and laptops. During a keynote speech given at Discover, chief technology officer Martin Fink explained that if the technology was scaled down, smartphones could be fabricated with 100 terabytes of memory.
    HP envisages a variety of future applications for this technology in numerous different settings, from business to medicine. For example, it could be possible for doctors to compare your symptoms or DNA with patients across the globe in an instant and without breaching privacy, improving health outcomes.

While this is an exciting development, unfortunately for us HP isn’t expecting to have samples until 2015 and the first devices equipped with The Machine won’t surface until 2018.

http://www.iflscience.com/technology...m1ZvSSqpZIg.99

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzbMSR9vA-c

Anyone out there a computing/ hardware enthusiast? What do you think are some of the implications of this super fast/efficient computing in our current society?
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

2. Likes Talthas liked this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: This changes everything

Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    Hewlett Packard recently announced at Discover Conference 2014, "The Machine." This new computing technology is mind-bending (like putting the data of your entire life on a cell phone). It looks like it will be rolled out around 2018.

New Type Of Computer Capable Of Calculating 640TBs Of Data In One Billionth Of A Second, Could Revolutionize Computing

Let me introduce The Machine- HP’s latest invention that could revolutionize the computing world. According to HP, The Machine is not a server, workstation, PC, device or phone but an amalgamation of all these things. It’s designed to be able to cope with the masses of data produced from the Internet of Things, which is the concept of a future network designed to connect a variety of objects and gadgets.

In order to handle this flurry of information it uses clusters of specialized cores as opposed to a small number of generalized cores. The whole thing is connected together using silicon photonics instead of traditional copper wires, boosting the speed of the system whilst reducing energy requirements. Furthermore, the technology features memristors which are resistors that are able to store information even after power loss.

The result is a system six times more powerful than existing servers that requires eighty times less energy. According to HP, The Machine can manage 160 petabytes of data in a mere 250 nanoseconds. And, what’s more, this isn’t just for huge supercomputers- it could be used in smaller devices such as smartphones and laptops. During a keynote speech given at Discover, chief technology officer Martin Fink explained that if the technology was scaled down, smartphones could be fabricated with 100 terabytes of memory.
    HP envisages a variety of future applications for this technology in numerous different settings, from business to medicine. For example, it could be possible for doctors to compare your symptoms or DNA with patients across the globe in an instant and without breaching privacy, improving health outcomes.

While this is an exciting development, unfortunately for us HP isn’t expecting to have samples until 2015 and the first devices equipped with The Machine won’t surface until 2018.

Anyone out there a computing/ hardware enthusiast? What do you think are some of the implications of this super fast/efficient computing in our current society?
    People seemed confused when I told them years back that memristors (discovered back in 2008 or so, I'm pretty sure that ODN has a thread about this) were one of the most important discoveries in modern science. Combined with photonic hardware, this is sort of a serious revolution in computing that I've been expecting to happen based on what I've read; however, I thought that this wouldn't become mainstream for a long, long time, i.e. until 2030 or so. It's pretty cool that they're actually looking to fabricate devices by next year and have a small round of commercial devices available in 2018. These technologies are going to push humans well beyond what we previously thought was possible on the current silicon transistor-based CPUs. (Note that all of this is going to be pretty limited until a good bit more time and research is placed into developing this technology, but on the other hand given that we're also running up against problems stemming from quantum mechanics in silicon based processors, so this might be why their pushing so hard on this issue.)

This word isn't likely to go away, so you should get used to hearing it. A memristor is a new electrical component (cf. resistor, capacitor, inductor, diode, transistor, etc) discovered back in 2008. For those who understand it, it's a pretty intriguing piece of hardware. I'm not an expert in computer science or electrical engineering, but the conceptual physics of the memristor is pretty straightforward:

"A memristor is a pipe that changes diameter with the amount and direction of water that flows through it. If water flows through this pipe in one direction, it expands (becoming less resistive). But send the water in the opposite direction and the pipe shrinks (becoming more resistive). Further, the memristor remembers its diameter when water last went through. Turn off the flow and the diameter of the pipe ”freezes” until the water is turned back on. That freezing property suits memristors brilliantly for computer memory. The ability to indefinitely store resistance values means that a memristor can be used as a nonvolatile memory."

So the essential idea is that it allows you to store charge in the component without providing power to it. Combined with some fancy ways of building Material Implication gates, it can be made into a CPU, RAM, and the long term memory. This means that loads of memory (long term and short term) can be placed right into the processor, which evades the von Neumann bottleneck.

Long story short, it means that electrical engineers can develop much faster, much more integrated processors.

FYI:

The first memristor-based flash memory is supposed to come out this summer (I don't know if that still is the plan or not). I was sort of wondering when it would finally be that people start pushing this into the CPU/RAM arena.

Also, here's an interview with the guy who discovered memristors.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix View Post
    These technologies are going to push humans well beyond what we previously thought was possible on the current silicon transistor-based CPUs.

This word isn't likely to go away, so you should get used to hearing it.
    Right, well I'm really trying to wrap my head around even the potential implications of this and I'm not sure I can without going into never-never land.

So from what you understand, practically speaking, if we consider different sectors of society today and the next 10 years, what do you think could be some implications and changes from this technology to let's say:

1. Health/medical industry
    2. Education
    3. Energy research
    4. Banking
    5. Food
    6. Travel
    7. Military/security
    8. Commerce and trade
    9. Social services
    10. Communication
    11. Technology/science
    12. The arts/culture
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Well, they were vague as to what the exact processing power is. I think that this is because they really haven't researched this to any kind of serious level and there's going to be a decade or two of research that goes into fully implementing this technology.

So right now it just has a lot of storage, but that's only one of the most important aspects of a computer. The other aspect is the actual calculations it can do. I don't think that part they seem to know that well. Right now they're speeding up calculations, it sounds like, but putting a whole lot of memory into the CPU and then they can optimize their code to that, and use their faster connections to make for faster computing. But eventually, people will be looking at memristor based CPU's (As near as I can tell, they're only using memristor for local memory inside the CPU's), potentially, which will allow for a potentially huge increase in computing power, too. That's more theoretical than the memory applications of memristors but it still seems quom what ite doable from what I've read.

Long story short, right now it's cool but it's difficult to speculate exactly what the applications will be or how far they can push this technology. But the applications are going to be in specialized servers for a while, and the technology is almost certainly outrageously expensive and far from consumer-ready.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

Post Thanks / Like

I can't even imagine having this kind of storage at your fingertips. I don't have a fraction of that and I'm already suffering from information overload. I find it extremely difficult already to remember where I stored this document or that picture or that video, etc. Of course the implications for things like movies, games, etc. are staggering.

Post Thanks / Like

This is archaic. putting lots of digital processors will result in lots of binary. the computers i theorized use colors and lasers, as, they travel and change at the speed of light. the colors will have a diversity of about a few million or many times more, i am not sure, and they will work as binary, except with more specialized functions. this means, of course, that the instructions will result in more complex 'instructions' for the parts of the computer. then, there will be no universal serial bus, as that uses a lot of binary, which only goes on and off. this is typical of electronic circuits, where, the maximum transmission speed is the speed of electricity, yes?

So, trying to cram even more processors onto one bus will result in a lot of heat. this would, if left in operation for too long, damage the mother board. this means they need to use ozone to cool the board if they want it to operate for a while. analog is the way to go, as, it is maxed out already. this means, of course, that, for example, a piece of glass on a camera lens will have no pixels, instead of trying to get a perfect picture out of a digital camera, you will get a flawless picture out of a 'natural' camera.

But, if you want to cram a lot of binary onto one board, then you might be better served by coming up with another plan. this is something some guy made up in his workshop, but, it has carried us this far.

If i were to make a suggestion to hewlett packard, i would suggest they sell their assets, being factories and contracts, and cash in. they can liquidate, and then give their employees the package and a good reference, as this is madness. they could of course try to observe the market and figure out what the newest market niche is, and use their capital to buy into that.
    !! Servant of Gaia !!

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
    This is archaic. putting lots of digital processors will result in lots of binary. the computers i theorized use colors and lasers, as, they travel and change at the speed of light. the colors will have a diversity of about a few million or many times more, i am not sure, and they will work as binary, except with more specialized functions. this means, of course, that the instructions will result in more complex 'instructions' for the parts of the computer. then, there will be no universal serial bus, as that uses a lot of binary, which only goes on and off. this is typical of electronic circuits, where, the maximum transmission speed is the speed of electricity, yes?

So, trying to cram even more processors onto one bus will result in a lot of heat. this would, if left in operation for too long, damage the mother board. this means they need to use ozone to cool the board if they want it to operate for a while. analog is the way to go, as, it is maxed out already. this means, of course, that, for example, a piece of glass on a camera lens will have no pixels, instead of trying to get a perfect picture out of a digital camera, you will get a flawless picture out of a 'natural' camera.

But, if you want to cram a lot of binary onto one board, then you might be better served by coming up with another plan. this is something some guy made up in his workshop, but, it has carried us this far.

If i were to make a suggestion to hewlett packard, i would suggest they sell their assets, being factories and contracts, and cash in. they can liquidate, and then give their employees the package and a good reference, as this is madness. they could of course try to observe the market and figure out what the newest market niche is, and use their capital to buy into that.
    Welcome back to ODN Charlatan. Are you suggesting that HP will not be successful in launching this new computer technology? It looks like their main objective with this new type of computer is to "Our goal with the machine is to eliminate the hierarchy"
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back to ODN Charlatan. Are you suggesting that HP will not be successful in launching this new computer technology? It looks like their main objective with this new type of computer is to "Our goal with the machine is to eliminate the hierarchy"
    Well, my old friend, i don't own stocks in packard so couldn't give a flying pig. i am just reporting what i read somewhere, unverified of course, but, it makes sense to me.

Will you be buying one of those packard machines?
    !! Servant of Gaia !!

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Will you be buying one of those packard machines?
    Auhhh, well it may be a tad over my price range. But I sure would like to be part of using this type of technology:

[Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I think all h/w advances are very cool but the problem doesn't really lie there - it lies in us being able to accurately model the world and draw conclusions that are correct. The problem is how do we write software to do all the smart things that have been promised for decades but never really materialized? True, if we really have such power, we can brute-force our way through many problems (e.g. Chess, route finding, etc.) but someone still needs to create the program, they still have to generate the content and solve the problems of privacy and security on top of all that.

12. Likes Charlatan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimJones8934 View Post
    I think all h/w advances are very cool but the problem doesn't really lie there - it lies in us being able to accurately model the world and draw conclusions that are correct. The problem is how do we write software to do all the smart things that have been promised for decades but never really materialized? True, if we really have such power, we can brute-force our way through many problems (e.g. Chess, route finding, etc.) but someone still needs to create the program, they still have to generate the content and solve the problems of privacy and security on top of all that.
    Of course! if there are problems, as you say, we can achieve victory over them by finding the problem and likening it to another problem. for example, if you have a two carts on the same bridge, and there is only enough room for one, then you need to find a way around physics, yes? it is physically impossible to get one to pass through the other, but if you were to be able to walk along side each other, you could swap the goods and switch carts, if you both agree and communicate with each other. or, you could, faced with a problem of having a date with a woman, or going to a work meeting, two separate things you need to attend, you should have to cancel both, yes? but, if you were to report a bomb threat to the work, you could attend the 'date' and see the meeting after the bomb squad gets there.
    !! Servant of Gaia !!

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I think all h/w advances are very cool but the problem doesn't really lie there -
    Who said anything about a problem?
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is scarcity, like any 'resource' or product, and, having to wait, of course. then again, there is only so much people can do.
    !! Servant of Gaia !!

Post Thanks / Like

Of course! if there are problems, as you say, we can achieve victory over them by finding the problem and likening it to another problem. for example, if you have a two carts on the same bridge, and there is only enough room for one, then you need to find a way around physics, yes? it is physically impossible to get one to pass through the other, but if you were to be able to walk along side each other, you could swap the goods and switch carts, if you both agree and communicate with each other. or, you could, faced with a problem of having a date with a woman, or going to a work meeting, two separate things you need to attend, you should have to cancel both, yes? but, if you were to report a bomb threat to the work, you could attend the 'date' and see the meeting after the bomb squad gets there.
    This is true - the point I wanted to raise was really that throwing hardware at things doesn't always help.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Everything is about solving one problem or another: the hardware is there to solve the problem of processing capacity, which is important, of course. But the problems mentioned - comparing DNA, etc. are much more difficult to solve. It's like having a faster car but not really knowing how to get to where you want to go.

Post Thanks / Like

This is true - the point I wanted to raise was really that throwing hardware at things doesn't always help.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Everything is about solving one problem or another: the hardware is there to solve the problem of processing capacity, which is important, of course. But the problems mentioned - comparing DNA, etc. are much more difficult to solve. It's like having a faster car but not really knowing how to get to where you want to go.
    But, isn't it true that without hardware you will not have software? it is like having a lot of energy for the nervous system without the body to connect and insulate it, yes?

Of course, if you were to observe that things usually are connected along a bus, which is hardware, then you will probably agree that without the bus, there will be no binary, as that is also electronic. electronics are where the physically altered ingredients of nature will manipulate the energy of the world we live in and produce a signal that will be understood by another piece of 'hardware' or electronic component, or lot of components and then produce something we can use, like a decibel or a photograph. or, how do you think it works? i am curious
    !! Servant of Gaia !!

Post Thanks / Like

But, isn't it true that without hardware you will not have software? it is like having a lot of energy for the nervous system without the body to connect and insulate it, yes?
    Of course we need hardware but we already have hardware and lots of it. This technology allows us to do what we can do now but faster. It is no small feat, if it really exists and works, but I don't see anything new as far as modeling real world problems or solving them in any unique way. I could be wrong on this point but I don't see anything particularly amazing with this.

Of course, if you were to observe that things usually are connected along a bus, which is hardware, then you will probably agree that without the bus, there will be no binary, as that is also electronic. electronics are where the physically altered ingredients of nature will manipulate the energy of the world we live in and produce a signal that will be understood by another piece of 'hardware' or electronic component, or lot of components and then produce something we can use, like a decibel or a photograph. or, how do you think it works? i am curious
    Sure but we aren't really debating whether we should have hardware or not. I am saying that we already have hardware and that the real problems are software.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course we need hardware but we already have hardware and lots of it. This technology allows us to do what we can do now but faster. It is no small feat, if it really exists and works, but I don't see anything new as far as modeling real world problems or solving them in any unique way. I could be wrong on this point but I don't see anything particularly amazing with this.

Sure but we aren't really debating whether we should have hardware or not. I am saying that we already have hardware and that the real problems are software.
    All you need for programming, is a basic understanding of robots. the golden rule is, if this, then this. it reacts to instructions, as if it were an oscillator - those hanging balls on the desks of old people that click together and make the outside balls go out and in, tick tick. now, if you want to learn to program, any program, they all follow the same ideals but in a different format. the reason for this is that people want to sell their soft ware languages and make money from it, and, divide the programming choices into areas and markets where they may dominate or sell things on their own credit.

So, all you need to know now, is, robots and how to label them. if you were to have a dice, the dice will be like a robot. when you see the dice just lying there, it is a set of instructions or potential energy applying to physics. now, when the dice is rolled, it will be because you have made it roll. the exception to this sort of thing, is, that the dice only has one value all over it, so will always do the right thing, but it is still being rolled or, put on or off, as a light. then, you need to observe that you, as the hardware for that game, see the dice value through your eyes, but, the computer feels the value as on or off, and sets up the next thing in the 'chain,' as, if this, then this, so the next thing is also looking for the dice value to be something or change, yes? or, you could say that robots are muscles of the body.

You could also think of robots as your accounts. they are all values, and they will be used for output, eventually, as, what is a machine but something that we use? if it doesn't do anything, it might as well not be there, yes? for a program, you input your commands the way you see them, the computer activates certain things that set in motion a chain of reactions, and then they do something. i wrote a three page course on python programming that you will learn in about an hour, and then, still consulting your pages, produce anything you can conceive eventually. just remember, if this, then this, and your robots. forget about everything else, within reason, as, they will only confuse you. if you don't believe me, i could justify myself by explaining that using different screw driver sizes for the same machine, instead of using an adjustable screw driver you could save time and deliver the goods without confusing yourself.
    !! Servant of Gaia !!

Post Thanks / Like

All you need for programming, is a basic understanding of robots. the golden rule is, if this, then this. it reacts to instructions, as if it were an oscillator - those hanging balls on the desks of old people that click together and make the outside balls go out and in, tick tick. now, if you want to learn to program, any program, they all follow the same ideals but in a different format. the reason for this is that people want to sell their soft ware languages and make money from it, and, divide the programming choices into areas and markets where they may dominate or sell things on their own credit.

So, all you need to know now, is, robots and how to label them. if you were to have a dice, the dice will be like a robot. when you see the dice just lying there, it is a set of instructions or potential energy applying to physics. now, when the dice is rolled, it will be because you have made it roll. the exception to this sort of thing, is, that the dice only has one value all over it, so will always do the right thing, but it is still being rolled or, put on or off, as a light. then, you need to observe that you, as the hardware for that game, see the dice value through your eyes, but, the computer feels the value as on or off, and sets up the next thing in the 'chain,' as, if this, then this, so the next thing is also looking for the dice value to be something or change, yes? or, you could say that robots are muscles of the body.

You could also think of robots as your accounts. they are all values, and they will be used for output, eventually, as, what is a machine but something that we use? if it doesn't do anything, it might as well not be there, yes? for a program, you input your commands the way you see them, the computer activates certain things that set in motion a chain of reactions, and then they do something. i wrote a three page course on python programming that you will learn in about an hour, and then, still consulting your pages, produce anything you can conceive eventually. just remember, if this, then this, and your robots. forget about everything else, within reason, as, they will only confuse you. if you don't believe me, i could justify myself by explaining that using different screw driver sizes for the same machine, instead of using an adjustable screw driver you could save time and deliver the goods without confusing yourself.
    I see your point but programming isn't just if-then statements any more than human beings are just atoms. Sure, both are true but the emergent properties of complex systems and the interactions between them means that studying if-then statements (or atoms) doesn't really tell you much about what is going on at a macro-level.

Post Thanks / Like

I see your point but programming isn't just if-then statements any more than human beings are just atoms. Sure, both are true but the emergent properties of complex systems and the interactions between them means that studying if-then statements (or atoms) doesn't really tell you much about what is going on at a macro-level.
    If it is going on, then it works. it needs to work to be used. figuring out how it works will let you build more, or, redefine the industry. how else does a computer or machine relay information from one point to another, other than by reacting to the previous reaction, and setting in motion a new instruction or reaction?

So, if you prefer, when this, then that - like a light bulb only goes on when it is switched on by your finger?
    !! Servant of Gaia !!

Post Thanks / Like

If it is going on, then it works. it needs to work to be used. figuring out how it works will let you build more, or, redefine the industry. how else does a computer or machine relay information from one point to another, other than by reacting to the previous reaction, and setting in motion a new instruction or reaction?

So, if you prefer, when this, then that - like a light bulb only goes on when it is switched on by your finger?
    Sure, I don't disagree. I just think the bigger problems are in software rather than hardware.

23. Likes Charlatan liked this post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast