Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West / East Coast
    Posts
    3,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    The dispensation

    Context: Planet earth as it exists today: Time period: 2014

    A powerful heavenly angel has given you a 40-day dispensation to have three distinct superpowers and use them in the physical world. After the forty-day period is over, you will no longer have the superpowers.

    Here are the conditions:

    1. You can only use the superpowers for good and benevolent purposes.
    2. You cannot use the superpowers to intentionally hurt or kill other humans.
    3. You cannot extend the dispensation beyond forty-days nor give the dispensation to other people.
    4. You cannot violate human free will.

    What three distinct superpowers would you ask the heavenly angel for?

    How would you use your superpowers and why?
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

  2. Likes Squatch347 liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Mod

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    Awesome question.

    I'll think about it and get back to you.

    I think that one of them would be the power to call upon Heaven to witness and bind freely given oaths so that they are unbreakable by any party who agreed to the terms.
    -=[Talthas]=-
    ODN Senior Moderator

    ODN Rules

  4. #3
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    With my Angel in Aurora
    Posts
    5,722
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    Healing by touch.
    Teleportation.
    Omnilingualism (the ability to understand and speak all languages fluently).

    Within 40 days, I could be anywhere and everywhere around the world, healing the sick and infirm, sharing the gospel and pointing those abilities and the results back to God (which is generally just sensible since that's how I got the powers in the first place). No language barriers, no travel barriers, no problem.

    Or maybe ice powers, so I could build a snowman.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

  5. Likes Squatch347, eye4magic, MindTrap028 liked this post
  6. #4
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West / East Coast
    Posts
    3,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    Healing by touch.
    Teleportation.
    Omnilingualism (the ability to understand and speak all languages fluently).

    Within 40 days, I could be anywhere and everywhere around the world, healing the sick and infirm, sharing the gospel and pointing those abilities and the results back to God (which is generally just sensible since that's how I got the powers in the first place). No language barriers, no travel barriers, no problem.
    The sounds like very efficient multitasking.
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

  7. #5
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Posts
    7,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    1. Super speed
    2. Super intelligence
    3. The ability to fully comprehend a book by touching it

    I would speed about collecting knowledge
    Use that knowledge to solve significant challenges
    Record that knowledge for others to use

    Seems like a good plan, I only wonder if I would actually use such powers for such purpose of find something somewhat more self serving to do with my time.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

  8. #6
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    With my Angel in Aurora
    Posts
    5,722
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    1. Super speed
    2. Super intelligence
    3. The ability to fully comprehend a book by touching it

    I would speed about collecting knowledge
    Use that knowledge to solve significant challenges
    Record that knowledge for others to use

    Seems like a good plan, I only wonder if I would actually use such powers for such purpose of find something somewhat more self serving to do with my time.
    I don't want to sound like a dick here, but your response to a first hand encounter with physical proof that there is a God would...not encourage you to share that information or even make it a solid secondary goal to spread that information?
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

  9. #7
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Posts
    7,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    I don't want to sound like a dick here, but your response to a first hand encounter with physical proof that there is a God would...not encourage you to share that information or even make it a solid secondary goal to spread that information?
    Not dickish. I just didn't think about it, to me that part of the set up was like "a geni gives you three wishes" or "you are bitten by a radioactive spider" its just a set up for the real meat of the question about what you would do with that kind of power.

    Not that my take is the right one, its just the perspective that I had. And thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    I'd absolutely share the experience I had as part of the records I'd make. And I'd have all kinds of questions for said angel if they would answer them and I'd share those answers as well. Still, unless asked I'd leave it to God to spread his own message. He'd certainly be capable if he can grant me such powers.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

  10. #8
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West / East Coast
    Posts
    3,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    I'd absolutely share the experience I had as part of the records I'd make. And I'd have all kinds of questions for said angel if they would answer them and I'd share those answers as well. Still, unless asked I'd leave it to God to spread his own message. He'd certainly be capable if he can grant me such powers.
    Interesting point Sig, though it begs the question, if the Almighty is Spirit with no material form, but uses the material form for its purposes, would not the Creator's capability to spread his message in a physical world be subject to work through you and me who have material form?
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

  11. #9
    Senior Mod

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    I would ask for the following powers:

    1) That all who beheld me would know that I am a direct emissary of God Almighty, however they understand that concept, and speak with the full authority thereof and command appropriate diplomatic immunity.
    2) The ability to ascertain and use with supernal skill any information I would require to mediate negotiations between people, such that I could find the right situation to convince anyone willing to speak with and listen to me to come to an agreement.
    3) That all who agree to swear an oath in my presence can be bound to that oath so that it is unbreakable forever.

    First, I would use my diplomatic acumen to arrange to have all of the members of Congress, the Executive, and the Judiciary meet with me and be sworn under oath to "speak the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." I would then bind that freely given oath so that it would be unbreakable. Of course, since they all meant it when they said it, there should be no problem, right?

    After springing that nasty surprise on everyone in a room full of liars, cheats and thieves, I would then proceed to question anyone I felt appropriate, on the record, about the ongoing investigations so that all of the questions of corruption, lies, and graft in our government could be promptly and summarily dealt with. This would be a good start toward bringing us back to a position where we could resume our role as the world's largest humanitarian organization, without questions of corruption tainting us.

    Next, I would use my Authority to summon world leaders to meetings with me, or I would go to them if they would not see me, using my Authority to gain access to them. At that point, I would use my diplomatic acumen to negotiate the best possible treaties between all nations and secure world peace, binding each agreement so that it becomes unbreakable.

    At the conclusion of these summits, I would go on all major broadcast networks and proclaim the Gospel so that all could see and know that the peace of the Lord has prevailed and that this is only a taste of the Eternal Peace that awaits every person in Heaven if they will accept the Gospel and turn toward God in faith.
    -=[Talthas]=-
    ODN Senior Moderator

    ODN Rules

  12. Thanks Sigfried thanked for this post
    Likes Squatch347 liked this post
  13. #10
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Posts
    7,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    Interesting point Sig, though it begs the question, if the Almighty is Spirit with no material form, but uses the material form for its purposes, would not the Creator's capability to spread his message in a physical world be subject to work through you and me who have material form?
    If the all mighty needs me to deliver his message he isn't all mighty. If he created the universe he clearly can take material action. Not to mention the Christian version took human form.. well depending on what flavor of christian you are but most see it that way. And the bible is full of physical things god does when he chooses to.

    Were I god, I wouldn't expect anyone I talked to to make it their mission to tell everyone about me. That just seems vainglorious.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

  14. #11
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West / East Coast
    Posts
    3,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    If the all mighty needs me to deliver his message he isn't all mighty. If he created the universe he clearly can take material action.
    Right, and we see such action in the Bible and other religious text as well. But when it comes to communicating and interacting with man, God has to use man’s current language (limiting as it may be) so we can understand. Thus, he works through man or when possible, through man’s consciousness.

    Were I god, I wouldn't expect anyone I talked to to make it their mission to tell everyone about me. That just seems vainglorious.
    If you were God and you knew that man’s separation from the Divine is the source of most of the suffering in this world, personal and social, a benevolent Creator would champion eliminating that separation.
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

  15. #12
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Posts
    7,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    Right, and we see such action in the Bible and other religious text as well. But when it comes to communicating and interacting with man, God has to use man’s current language (limiting as it may be) so we can understand. Thus, he works through man or when possible, through man’s consciousness.
    So god is incapable of speaking human languages, is that what you are saying?

    If you were God and you knew that man’s separation from the Divine is the source of most of the suffering in this world, personal and social, a benevolent Creator would champion eliminating that separation.
    Sorry eye4 but I'd take care of it myself were I god and wanted to help. Christians make an awful lot of excuses for god's lack of initiative and action. Think upon what kinds of excuses I'd need to make if I worshiped an all powerful and loving being that didn't exist but wanted to convince others it did.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

  16. #13
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    A powerful heavenly angel has given you a 40-day dispensation to have three distinct superpowers...
    I'd probably believe it is a demon sent by Satan, rather than an angel sent by God.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

  17. #14
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West / East Coast
    Posts
    3,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    So god is incapable of speaking human languages, is that what you are saying?
    I don’t think human language is a problem for God. He seems to be able to communicate to man directly through a consciousness that is able to be receptive to his communication. The challenge for man seems to be in the receptivity. Just as we have very exacting well structured natural laws that govern the physical world, there are probably very exacting and orderly laws that govern the spiritual world .

    Sorry eye4 but I'd take care of it myself were I god and wanted to help.
    You would take care of the man’s chosen separation from God?
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

  18. #15
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West / East Coast
    Posts
    3,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    Quote Originally Posted by Talthas View Post
    First, I would use my diplomatic acumen to arrange to have all of the members of Congress, the Executive, and the Judiciary meet with me and be sworn under oath to "speak the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." I would then bind that freely given oath so that it would be unbreakable. Of course, since they all meant it when they said it, there should be no problem, right?
    That sounds like a interesting scenario, but would this not possibly be violating the free will of some congressmen? Not all members of congress may want to speak the truth.
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

  19. #16
    Senior Mod

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    That sounds like a interesting scenario, but would this not possibly be violating the free will of some congressmen? Not all members of congress may want to speak the truth.
    If they wish to lie, then they are under no compulsion to swear to tell the truth, except the dictates of their conscience or their political career. Of course, their refusal to swear would be noted and conspicuously pointed out, just to make sure that we're all clear that these people refuse to swear to be honest because they wish to deceive us... but that still doesn't compel them to do anything. It just makes not doing so unpleasant and potentially harmful to their ability to use their office for deceptive purposes. I don't think that's an unacceptable violation of their free will.. they chose to do things that they would have to lie about... and they choose to lie about them.

    If you're talking about the unbreakable oath violating their ability to swear falsely... if it makes you feel better, I would make it clear that they are swearing before a representative of God and that to foreswear oneself before God is a crime under Heaven and would not be permitted in the chamber. If people wanted to leave before being sworn in, they could... but I would draw an unpleasant and extremely conspicuous amount of attention to those people who wish to leave, especially when so many people are willing to be so sworn in. I would also make it clear that they would be excluded from any further votes or discussions regarding the extremely important matters that were about to be handled and that by their refusal to simply swear to the honesty their job requires anyway, they are abdicating their responsibility to their constituents.

    If they still chose to leave, then I would make a careful list of everyone who left and encourage everyone who watched the proceedings to vigorously question those individuals as to what they have to hide and why they choose to abdicate their responsibility to their constituents rather than simply be honest.
    -=[Talthas]=-
    ODN Senior Moderator

    ODN Rules

  20. #17
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West / East Coast
    Posts
    3,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    Quote Originally Posted by Talthas View Post
    If they still chose to leave, then I would make a careful list of everyone who left and encourage everyone who watched the proceedings to vigorously question those individuals as to what they have to hide and why they choose to abdicate their responsibility to their constituents rather than simply be honest.
    Your post presents an interesting scenario. It brings up the question if after the 40 days is over, if their moments of being compelled to speak the truth would be legally binding. I suppose it would be even if they attempted to withdraw their testimonies.
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

  21. #18
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Posts
    7,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    I don’t think human language is a problem for God. He seems to be able to communicate to man directly through a consciousness that is able to be receptive to his communication. The challenge for man seems to be in the receptivity. Just as we have very exacting well structured natural laws that govern the physical world, there are probably very exacting and orderly laws that govern the spiritual world .
    I'm not sure how receptivity and spiritual laws have much to do with one another. I can say that if I had a divine god come and tell me, "Sig, I'm God let me tell you about me." vs a guy off the street says "Sig, let me tell you about my god and how great he is." I''m going to 1000% be more convinced by the actual divine god than the human. humans and their gods are a dime a dozen. Actual gods, seem rare to the point on non-existence. Call me old fashioned but actual miracles would impress me far more than modern apologetics.

    If Sigfried asks you if you are a god... you say "Yes!"

    You would take care of the man’s chosen separation from God?
    Yes I would and I wouldn't punish and ostracize those who choose separation. No lakes of fire, not devils, no pillars of salt, no snakes biting heels or painful child birth and so on. Its all very silly. Nor would every man be bound by the choices of one man. Nor would I separate people who wanted knowledge. I'd do a lot of things very differently from the Christian God, not to mention many other Gods who I feel according to their legends are less than stellar examples of moral behavior and love.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

  22. #19
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West / East Coast
    Posts
    3,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    I can say that if I had a divine god come and tell me, "Sig, I'm God let me tell you about me." vs a guy off the street says "Sig, let me tell you about my god and how great he is." I''m going to 1000% be more convinced by the actual divine god than the human.
    One probable reason God hasn’t done that too often throughout recorded history through today can be observed in the “Road to Damascus" experience and other similar encounters throughout history. In Paul’s case, an unbeliever, God had a mission for Paul and it appears he needed his prompt attention, so Paul got a physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and psychological reset. In that this direct experience of the Divine disabled Paul [for days], -- that was the price God was willing to pay to work with him. A direct Divine encounter, depending on the person, can put a human out of commission for a while. Why? Most likely for the same reason that we don’t stick a finger into an electrical socket. That’s why we observe throughout most of recorded history God has chosen to work through emissaries, angels, messengers and prophets.

    Humans and their gods are a dime a dozen. Actual gods, seem rare
    God may appear rare to you because it seems you’ve yet to interact and know him – and more so, as you stated, you’re not really that interested in the Creator. Logically speaking, it would makes sense that God would seem rare to a person who is not interested in knowing or relating to his essence.

    Call me old fashioned but actual miracles would impress me far more than modern apologetics.
    I think we’ve discussed this before, but miracles cannot make a person know or accept God. We see this throughout the Bible. A phenomena that the human senses may observe does not necessarily change a heart that is not interested in being changed or clear a vision does that not want to be cleared or a mind that does not want to be renewed. For those who know and understand how to manipulate energy, miracles are probably a dime a dozen.

    Yes I would
    How would you take care of man's chosen separation from God?

    I wouldn't punish and ostracize those who choose separation.
    Who is being punished today for choosing to be separated from God? Are you being punished?
    Last edited by eye4magic; July 19th, 2014 at 10:21 AM.
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

  23. #20
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Posts
    7,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The dispensation

    Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    One probable reason God hasn’t done that too often throughout recorded history through today can be observed in the “Road to Damascus" experience and other similar encounters throughout history. In Paul’s case, an unbeliever, God had a mission for Paul and it appears he needed his prompt attention, so Paul got a physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and psychological reset. In that this direct experience of the Divine disabled Paul [for days], -- that was the price God was willing to pay to work with him. A direct Divine encounter, depending on the person, can put a human out of commission for a while. Why? Most likely for the same reason that we don’t stick a finger into an electrical socket. That’s why we observe throughout most of recorded history God has chosen to work through emissaries, angels, messengers and prophets.
    Again, if god is all powerful he can sort it out. He hung out with Adam no problem. He buddies up with Enoch without difficulty. Jesus/God walked around as a spirit after he was risen talking to people. There are plenty of examples where folks had divine contact and suffered no ill effects.

    God may appear rare to you because it seems you’ve yet to interact and know him – and more so, as you stated, you’re not really that interested in the Creator. Logically speaking, it would makes sense that God would seem rare to a person who is not interested in knowing or relating to his essence.
    I'm not interested in knowing about fisting or water sports either but I've seen evidence of it, more than I'd care to. Reality doesn't care what you want, it just is what it is. If there is a real god that can make worlds and do miracles and so forth, it shouldn't be dependent on my desires whether or not it is manifest. What I see is that people who want to find god do so because they invent him and interpret anything they care to as signs of his presence. Everything from faces on toast to the shape of atoms. You name it, someone can invent a reason to say its gods work. Its an easy game to play and is why atheists invented the FSM as a counter example because nearly anything you can say for god you can say for the FSM with just as much rational validity.

    You can believe in it but its hopeless to argue for.

    I think we’ve discussed this before, but miracles cannot make a person know or accept God. We see this throughout the Bible. A phenomena that the human senses may observe does not necessarily change a heart that is not interested in being changed or clear a vision does that not want to be cleared or a mind that does not want to be renewed. For those who know and understand how to manipulate energy, miracles are probably a dime a dozen.
    That's a weak excuse. It is even more true that someone can look at a perfectly non-miraculous event and proclaim it the work of god. It happens all the time when we know quite well its no miracle at all. Its very easy to "see" what doesn't exist and no one can countermand your claim. It is however very hard to see and experience something directly and claim it doesn't exist.

    Atheists have proposed a great number of miracles they would find utterly convincing. If there is a god he's apparently got no interest in persuading me. I suspect instead there simply isn't a god and many people are fond of wishful thinking.

    Who is being punished today for choosing to be separated from God? Are you being punished?
    You seem to think so. Christian theology teaches that those who reject the kingdom of god will face eternal fire on the day of judgement. So you are either choosing to be with him, or you will suffer. The doctrine of original sin teaches that god cursed all mankind to suffer and die due to Adam's disobedience. If that were more than a legend then we would be being punished for Adam's choices.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •