Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

"Price Gouging" actually helps people

This is a discussion thread for the formal debate found here: http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...y-helps-people
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Price Gouging" actually helps people

Cool, go out there and debate the heck out of one another!

My first thought is... who is it helping? Looking forward to finding out the answer.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sig!

My answer in short is consumers. Consumers are hurt by price controls that limit supply and distribute supply not based no need, but on willingness to wait in line.

The longer explanation is up now, but for anyone who wants to read a better argument than mine, read Prof. Munger's article (or listen to the podcast) linked.
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    Thanks Sig!

My answer in short is consumers. Consumers are hurt by price controls that limit supply and distribute supply not based no need, but on willingness to wait in line.

The longer explanation is up now, but for anyone who wants to read a better argument than mine, read Prof. Munger's article (or listen to the podcast) linked.
    Hey man, should have my opening post up tomorrow
    -=]Eliotitus[=-
    "Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"- Oscar Wilde

5. Thanks Squatch347 thanked for this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Good opening post Squatch, you outline your key points and offer your supporting cases in a fashion that is clear and easy to read. Looking forward to Eliotitus's opening reply!

7. Likes Squatch347 liked this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Eliotus, let me just say it now.... DEAD MAN WALKING!

Ahhh, just kidding... I'm sure you'll hang in there... for a little while.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but the last time I underestimated Elio I regretted it immensely. :-)

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Elio, got your OP. I'm working on my response now, probably won't be done for a few days, sorry. But I'll let you know when I do get it up.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Some interesting reading for the participants...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_elasticity_of_demand

Specifically
    Car fuel[46]
    −0.09 (Short run)
    −0.31 (Long run)

------

Elio's reply has a very nice introduction laying out the ground where he intends to argue.

I felt the body of the argument didn't keep quite the same focus, the barbs of the argument were a bit awash in explanation so I felt a lack of his case for why he is winning the argument (something we always focused on in debate competition).

I think the social equity argument is a good ground argument to put up against maximum efficiency but there could be more clash on why we should care about equity vs efficiency or should favor one over another.

The argument about shifting costs of additional supply to the state are well taken but could have a bit more framing or argument on why this is preferable. This is what we would call a counter proposal but isn't fully developed, aka an argument that while solution 1 (price gouging) is not without benefit, solution two (emergency subsidy) is superior in various respects.

As a judge I'd be leaning to Squatch at this stage in the debate but I am enjoying the arguments from both sides!

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    Some interesting reading for the participants...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_elasticity_of_demand

Specifically
    Car fuel[46]
    −0.09 (Short run)
    −0.31 (Long run)

This is a good find. Now elasticity really only applies (more or less) in an equilibrium setting which our argument most certainly is not so I would image that the actual elasticity is much higher. We can more easily go without car fuel in "The Road" than our current elasticity would indicate.

Long run I imagine means 1 year here, though I can't be certain. The technical definition is the point where you can substitute capital, so for a car that could be as little as a month or as long as three years depending on your ability to access a substitute or buy a different type of car.