Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

My first question...

So, perhaps you've heard that U.S. Central Command has had their Twitter account hacked. If you are like me, or any rational person, the first question you likely asked yourself was, "Why the f*** does U.S. Central Command have a Twitter account?"

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102330338#.

My second question was, what does CENTCOM do? Turns out they are responsible for protecting Americans interests in the central part of the world. Primarily a rapid response to foreign crises. So... what am I missing?

According to this website, it is all about transparency.
    http://qz.com/325194/t/146995

Yet, no one gives a rat's butt about some historical speech. People want to know what they are paying taxes for and that information is not going to be on any social media site. To me, this is just a frivolous use of taxpayer money. I hope getting hacked leads to a cancellation of all these government social media programs. I am not paying the government to tweet or make YouTube videos. If they want to be transparent then just put up a simple government website and itemize spending, salaries, programs, etc. Of course, that they will not do. Call me an ahole, but I am rooting for the Islamic goat ****ers on this one.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My first question...

It is probably far cheaper to simply use twitter and facebook than to put up your own site and maintain it. They are free services you don't need to maintain or pay for or defend against cyber attack.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    It is probably far cheaper to simply use twitter and facebook than to put up your own site and maintain it. They are free services you don't need to maintain or pay for or defend against cyber attack.
    I am guessing CENTCOM has an IT department and probably has a website. So, I don't think the costs really justify it. Really, the crap available from CENTCOM, it is arguable that it is needed at all. They are paying someone to publish that stuff. Why? No one gives a crap. It is worthless information. It is information put out to "appear" more transparent without actually being more transparent. In some ways you can view it as misinformation against taxpayers. Maybe that is what pisses me off about this whole thing the most. They are using Twitter, YouTube, and Pintecrest to make people it appear as though CENTCOM is being transparent about its work. Yet, these social media outlets are just historical data and don't offer any real insight into information that would make us better informed about CENTCOM's actions. It is just typical government fluff. Some spokehole's idea of improving public relations. I hope there is a special place in hell for these people.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

Post Thanks / Like

Twitter & YouTube have an audience of millions around the world. It is why they are worth billions - not only do they have a system to distribute information to millions of people quickly, it is robust and global. I'd be more worried if they built their own Twitter and You Tube along with all the problems of advertising it. This is no different than using any other media channel such as direct paper mail, television or telephone.

Also, isn't it better that those accounts were hacked and not the government systems themselves? Seems like a win-win that is pretty easy to fix should there be problems.

5. Likes theophilus liked this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimJones8934 View Post
    Twitter & YouTube have an audience of millions around the world. It is why they are worth billions - not only do they have a system to distribute information to millions of people quickly, it is robust and global. I'd be more worried if they built their own Twitter and You Tube along with all the problems of advertising it. This is no different than using any other media channel such as direct paper mail, television or telephone.

Also, isn't it better that those accounts were hacked and not the government systems themselves? Seems like a win-win that is pretty easy to fix should there be problems.
    I'd prefer that CENTCOM has no social media ties and then they wouldn't be susceptible to hacking at all. CENTCOM has no info worth distributing via social media.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    I'd prefer that CENTCOM has no social media ties and then they wouldn't be susceptible to hacking at all. CENTCOM has no info worth distributing via social media.
    A lot of people would prefer to know what the government is up to so we can make informed decisions about whether to support them or not. Likewise these organizations want to make sure people support the work they do so their funding continues or increases.

Social media systems are incredibly cheap and incredibly effective means of public communication. To not utilize them is shooting yourself in the foot.

Post Thanks / Like

Or maybe it's a riskless way for the government to learn about social media. Or it may be a honey pot or a misdirection. I think it's a cheap way to gain a good understanding of the how government can use technology - certainly much better than writing their own.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

CENTCOM has no info worth distributing via social media.
    Perhaps, but maybe their purpose with SM is more for PR and interacting with the taxpayer, who after all, backs up their paycheck. SM isn't just about sharing information -- many companies and agencies just use it for PR purposes to connect with those interested in their services or products
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people would prefer to know what the government is up to so we can make informed decisions about whether to support them or not. Likewise these organizations want to make sure people support the work they do so their funding continues or increases.

Social media systems are incredibly cheap and incredibly effective means of public communication. To not utilize them is shooting yourself in the foot.
    I would love to know what the govt is up to. As I noted in earlier, the information put out on SM does not offer any useful insight. It is a sham. Ok, but for you, Eye4M, and JJ, when you guys are asking for more money for X(fill in your favorite govt program here), please don't tell me the govt isn't wasting its money on horse crap that could be put to better use.

So, CHALLENGE to the JJ, Sig, and Eye:
    Please demonstrate information on CENTCOM's SM sites offer some insight into their behavior that taxpayers wouldn't otherwise be aware of, but that they should know.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not up for your challenge I'm afraid.

I only mean to make two points.

1. Folks would like to know what the government is up to
    2. Social media is perhaps the cheapest way you could do that

I don't mean to examine how effective the content the government publishes actually is.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to know what the govt is up to. As I noted in earlier, the information put out on SM does not offer any useful insight. It is a sham. Ok, but for you, Eye4M, and JJ, when you guys are asking for more money for X(fill in your favorite govt program here), please don't tell me the govt isn't wasting its money on horse crap that could be put to better use.

So, CHALLENGE to the JJ, Sig, and Eye:
    Please demonstrate information on CENTCOM's SM sites offer some insight into their behavior that taxpayers wouldn't otherwise be aware of, but that they should know.
    Well, for one, Twitter is instant so any new things they need to say will reach more people and faster and more reliably than even something like email. To reach people instantly is a huge win for the government - not that they have too many followers (125K). The cost-benefit is huge. This by far the best reason for them to do this - they can get to people faster than any other means.

Secondly CENTCOM is a meme that people now have in their minds, even more so after this hack. Therefore, if CENTCOM is doing their job, having a presence on every social media system (including Facebook), then people can choose how they want to receive information about what is going on in more efficient channels that TV or whatever you personally think is more efficient and cost effective.

So now I know where I can get videos of Americans killing people, I don't have to go elsewhere for the official line. They just have to put efforts into making it better.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not up for your challenge I'm afraid.

I only mean to make two points.

1. Folks would like to know what the government is up to
    2. Social media is perhaps the cheapest way you could do that

I don't mean to examine how effective the content the government publishes actually is.
    But this is entirely critical to making your point. If they are using SM as nothing more than propaganda aimed at the taxpayer, then it is harmful. It is misinformation, not information. Per the article I quoted, the SM was filled with dated materials. CENTCOM isn't putting out what it is currently doing. It is a military department for goodness sakes. So, they are using SM because it is cheap and it is the cheapest way to spread misinformation to the American taxpayer so less people will question the money it receives. How is this a good thing?

---------- Post added at 07:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

Well, for one, Twitter is instant so any new things they need to say will reach more people and faster and more reliably than even something like email. To reach people instantly is a huge win for the government - not that they have too many followers (125K). The cost-benefit is huge. This by far the best reason for them to do this - they can get to people faster than any other means.

Secondly CENTCOM is a meme that people now have in their minds, even more so after this hack. Therefore, if CENTCOM is doing their job, having a presence on every social media system (including Facebook), then people can choose how they want to receive information about what is going on in more efficient channels that TV or whatever you personally think is more efficient and cost effective.

So now I know where I can get videos of Americans killing people, I don't have to go elsewhere for the official line. They just have to put efforts into making it better.
    At least Sig was upfront about his refusal to meet my challenge. You've just ignored it. But, to show how ludicrous your point is, please provide evidence that CENTCOM is posting videos on SM of Americans killing people.

Post Thanks / Like

At least Sig was upfront about his refusal to meet my challenge. You've just ignored it. But, to show how ludicrous your point is, please provide evidence that CENTCOM is posting videos on SM of Americans killing people.
    Your challenge is met - the information that CENTCOM provides is near instantaneous on Twitter. Nothing beats it - you're focused on content but SM is about find-ability and reach-ability.

As for the videos, I'm talking about the air strike videos on YouTube.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Your challenge is met - the information that CENTCOM provides is near instantaneous on Twitter. Nothing beats it - you're focused on content but SM is about find-ability and reach-ability.

As for the videos, I'm talking about the air strike videos on YouTube.
    No. You making some random claim is not meeting my challenge.
    1. You have not supplied a single link to information on an CENTCOM SM site which couldn't be found elsewhere.
    2. You have not supplied a single link to information that fulfills the requirement of item #1 and that also contains information which is actually newsworthy (i.e. the taxpayers have a need to know).

If you cannot or won't do it, then just be civil like Sig and admit it.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

As I pointed out before, why are you assuming CENTCOM is using Twitter as an information outlet? Lots of agencies and companies use their Twitter accounts simply as a source of networking with those interested in their services and then link their followers over to their main website. That's how many companies use their Twitter account -- to increase their main website traffic so people can be informed of the information they are trying to share. If they do post information on Twitter, they can only post a very short amount, but it will usually be with a link so the visitor can read the full article or story on their main agency website. Twitter and other SM sites can be an effective way to get website traffic to your information/content website.

So what happens is that a government agency will spend lots of time and money and post useful and good information on their website for Americans, but few people know how to find the website or the information may be buried inside lots of links. That's where SM comes in as a useful tool for companies/organizations/government. It's free and anyone can set up an account on it; and it has very high traffic. So an agency will post little tit bits of news with links to their full content.

Networking
    One of the primary purposes for creating a Twitter account is to network online. Twitter's system of shortened links and hashtags make it easy to find people or businesses posting tweets in the same areas that you are. Hashtags are hyperlink keywords embedded into tweets; you can turn any word into a hashtag by adding the "#" sign before the word in the body of your tweet. Twitter's "@Mention" system allows you to contact any other Twitter user, regardless of whether or not they follow you, by placing an "@" symbol in front of the Twitter user name in the body of your tweet.

Building Traffic
    Many businesses, bloggers and website owners use their Twitter profiles to increase traffic and find new visitors for their websites. Embedding links into tweets is one of the ways you can use Twitter to increase traffic to your website. Link-shortening services allow you to create links with as few characters as possible to leave space within Twitter's 140-character limit. Most of these link-shortening services also allow you to track statistics and see how many Twitter users click your links.

Business Promotion
    Using Twitter provides the opportunity to take innovative approaches for promoting your business. Many businesses specifically offer special deals and promotions exclusively through Twitter. Twitter's "retweet" function allows other Twitter users to re-post your tweet if they find it interesting; being retweeted by several popular Twitter users can significantly increase exposure for you tweet and your business. You can also use your Twitter account as a way to allow your customers to get in touch with you directly without having to go through customer service.
    http://science.opposingviews.com/pur...ter-12292.html
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    As I pointed out before, why are you assuming CENTCOM is using Twitter as an information outlet? Lots of agencies and companies use their Twitter accounts simply as a source of networking with those interested in their services and then link their followers over to their main website. That's how many companies use their Twitter account -- to increase their main website traffic so people can be informed of the information they are trying to share. If they do post information on Twitter, they can only post a very short amount, but it will usually be with a link so the visitor can read the full article or story on their main agency website. Twitter and other SM sites can be an effective way to get website traffic to your information/content website.

So what happens is that a government agency will spend lots of time and money and post useful and good information on their website for Americans, but few people know how to find the website or the information may be buried inside lots of links. That's where SM comes in as a useful tool for companies/organizations/government. It's free and anyone can set up an account on it; and it has very high traffic. So an agency will post little tit bits of news with links to their full content.
    Networking
    One of the primary purposes for creating a Twitter account is to network online. Twitter's system of shortened links and hashtags make it easy to find people or businesses posting tweets in the same areas that you are. Hashtags are hyperlink keywords embedded into tweets; you can turn any word into a hashtag by adding the "#" sign before the word in the body of your tweet. Twitter's "@Mention" system allows you to contact any other Twitter user, regardless of whether or not they follow you, by placing an "@" symbol in front of the Twitter user name in the body of your tweet.

Building Traffic
    Many businesses, bloggers and website owners use their Twitter profiles to increase traffic and find new visitors for their websites. Embedding links into tweets is one of the ways you can use Twitter to increase traffic to your website. Link-shortening services allow you to create links with as few characters as possible to leave space within Twitter's 140-character limit. Most of these link-shortening services also allow you to track statistics and see how many Twitter users click your links.

Business Promotion
    Using Twitter provides the opportunity to take innovative approaches for promoting your business. Many businesses specifically offer special deals and promotions exclusively through Twitter. Twitter's "retweet" function allows other Twitter users to re-post your tweet if they find it interesting; being retweeted by several popular Twitter users can significantly increase exposure for you tweet and your business. You can also use your Twitter account as a way to allow your customers to get in touch with you directly without having to go through customer service.
    http://science.opposingviews.com/pur...ter-12292.html
    I'd like to point out http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/s...ofile-accounts
    CENTCOM has about 109,000 followers. I know that sounds HUUUUGE, but of 350,000,000 Americans the percentage who are following CENTCOM is so small... on the order of .0000003% of the population IF every single follower was an American. And we know, there were at least a few foreigners who were big fans.

Their latest YouTube video was viewed 616 times
    http://www.centcom.mil/

Impressive right? So, how much networking and traffic building have SM contributed to CENTCOM's own website? Unfortunately, exact website traffic for centcom/mil is not readily available.
    https://www.whois.net/

Sighhh, so much for transparency. We will never know how much the government is paying per website visitor. In other words, there is no way to justify whatever cost is associated with being on SM since there is no way to quantify how much it has impacted the categories you have listed.

Post Thanks / Like

No. You making some random claim is not meeting my challenge.
    1. You have not supplied a single link to information on an CENTCOM SM site which couldn't be found elsewhere.
    2. You have not supplied a single link to information that fulfills the requirement of item #1 and that also contains information which is actually newsworthy (i.e. the taxpayers have a need to know).

If you cannot or won't do it, then just be civil like Sig and admit it.
    1. How am I supposed to know if it can't be found elsewhere? Doing a search for the URL there are 3000 references to it from other sites which implies that they were newsworthy enough to report and unique enough to only reference these videos.
    2. I disagree the videos aren't what Americans need to know this.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

1. How am I supposed to know if it can't be found elsewhere? Doing a search for the URL there are 3000 references to it from other sites which implies that they were newsworthy enough to report and unique enough to only reference these videos.
    2. I disagree the videos aren't what Americans need to know this.
    That's fine. I get that you disagree. No problem. Please, though, do not confuse your inability to meet my challenge with actually meeting my challenge. Furthermore, as I've demonstrated via the numbers, this critical information is viewed by such a small number of Americans that it is laughable. Clearly the website contains information that Americans are chomping at the bit to get at. And, of course, since we are discussing transparency, when it comes to how effective SM is for CENTCOM... well... not quite so transparent.

Post Thanks / Like

That's fine. I get that you disagree. No problem. Please, though, do not confuse your inability to meet my challenge with actually meeting my challenge.
    I think I met the terms pretty well.

Furthermore, as I've demonstrated via the numbers, this critical information is viewed by such a small number of Americans that it is laughable. Clearly the website contains information that Americans are chomping at the bit to get at. And, of course, since we are discussing transparency, when it comes to how effective SM is for CENTCOM... well... not quite so transparent.
    This is true but that is no reason to put a stake in the ground. People will always get the government and government services they deserve.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

But this is entirely critical to making your point. If they are using SM as nothing more than propaganda aimed at the taxpayer, then it is harmful. It is misinformation, not information. Per the article I quoted, the SM was filled with dated materials. CENTCOM isn't putting out what it is currently doing. It is a military department for goodness sakes. So, they are using SM because it is cheap and it is the cheapest way to spread misinformation to the American taxpayer so less people will question the money it receives. How is this a good thing?
    I'm not arguing if it is a good thing or a bad thing, I'm arguing if it is a cheap thing and an objective of that agency. Even if it is misinformation, it is a cheap way to spread such misinformation. I jumped in only because you questioned whether having a website or the like would be cheaper. Having run websites I know for a fact that using twitter is far far cheaper and more effective.

22. Likes JimJones8934 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast