Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 164
  1. #41
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    Faced with a political party determined to score political points and block any type of progress under an opposition's administration - to the detriment of the country - I'd argue that there is a good reason in the face of such a disingenuous effort.
    This is just party gibberish. A sound bite lifted off the DNC website or some liberal rag. Let's suppose it was even accurate. The average voter does not give a rip about this kind of stuff. It is beltway Washington partisan stuff. It isn't Vietnam or even Iraq. No one is getting excited because some legislation got blocked. So, try again.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  2. Thanks Lukecash12 thanked for this post
    Likes Squatch347 liked this post
  3. #42
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    The lack of a second stimulus, the lack of needed adjustments to the ACA because they were on a "repeal and replace" stance (for about 5 days - then it was just "repeal"), the damage done to the Iranian treaty talks - nuclear proliferation being the biggest challenge to us as espoused by John Kerry during the election.

    All harms that can be traced back to the Caucus Room meeting - the nonsense scandals, birtherism, Benghazi, etc. being the hammer to nail that policy home.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  4. #43
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    The lack of a second stimulus, the lack of needed adjustments to the ACA because they were on a "repeal and replace" stance (for about 5 days - then it was just "repeal"), the damage done to the Iranian treaty talks - nuclear proliferation being the biggest challenge to us as espoused by John Kerry during the election.

    All harms that can be traced back to the Caucus Room meeting - the nonsense scandals, birtherism, Benghazi, etc. being the hammer to nail that policy home.
    Again, we can sit here and debate the merit of your claims.... but the average voter isn't getting excited about this. This is more talking points from some DNC pamphlet. Again, none of this rises to the level of Vietnam or even Iraq. People aren't outraged over some perceived beltway politics which is all you are presenting. So, again, we have the modern-day version of Nixon and one has to wonder what would cause the American people to vote for the female version this time around. Nixon had Vietnam. According to you, Hillary has the political equivalent of footlockers and phone records.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  5. #44
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    People easily relate to irrational and undue persecution - working people, people of color, women, homosexuals - all "feel the pain" of being bullied and trapped. It makes these characters even more beloved. People love Bubba, and why? He didn't do anything remarkable.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  6. #45
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    People easily relate to irrational and undue persecution - working people, people of color, women, homosexuals - all "feel the pain" of being bullied and trapped. It makes these characters even more beloved. People love Bubba, and why? He didn't do anything remarkable.
    What the hell are you talking about? Are is this another veiled insult aimed at the GOP and its voters implying they hate blacks, gays, and women? Talk about irrational.... You are throwing out all sorts of gobbledygook and how this can be compared to an event like Vietnam is beyond me.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  7. #46
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    What the hell are you talking about? Are is this another veiled insult aimed at the GOP and its voters implying they hate blacks, gays, and women? Talk about irrational.... You are throwing out all sorts of gobbledygook and how this can be compared to an event like Vietnam is beyond me.
    I don't know what that means or what Viet Nam has to do with anything. I'm talking about the feeling of powerlessness felt by people being persecuted for little reason beyond that the persecutor can do it. Think control freak or look up some videos on youtube of police abusing their powers.

    Bubba did a good job of convincing people he was in a similar situation - I happen to believe he was, the civil cases against him were going/had been going nowhere - and he won sympathy and even forgiveness for it.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  8. #47
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    I don't know what that means or what Viet Nam has to do with anything. I'm talking about the feeling of powerlessness felt by people being persecuted for little reason beyond that the persecutor can do it. Think control freak or look up some videos on youtube of police abusing their powers.

    Bubba did a good job of convincing people he was in a similar situation - I happen to believe he was, the civil cases against him were going/had been going nowhere - and he won sympathy and even forgiveness for it.
    In order to conduct a debate or even just a discussion, both participants must listen to the words and meanings of the other person. So, it is a bit disconcerting that you are engaging in this discussion with me, but that you do not understand the relevance of Vietnam. How can you possibly offer a rebuttal to anything I have claimed if you do not know why I am referring to Vietnam here? I'd suggest a you scan back several posts and figure it out (post #39 specifically). In that post, I explain Hillary's main weakness and why I don't see her being successful. If you'd like to address that then, great.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  9. #48
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    In order to conduct a debate or even just a discussion, both participants must listen to the words and meanings of the other person. So, it is a bit disconcerting that you are engaging in this discussion with me, but that you do not understand the relevance of Vietnam. How can you possibly offer a rebuttal to anything I have claimed if you do not know why I am referring to Vietnam here? I'd suggest a you scan back several posts and figure it out (post #39 specifically). In that post, I explain Hillary's main weakness and why I don't see her being successful. If you'd like to address that then, great.
    What lies are you talking about concerning Viet Nam?
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  10. #49
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    What lies are you talking about concerning Viet Nam?
    What???
    First, did you read my post where I first referred to Vietnam? Second, if there is something which is inaccurate, then it is up to you to offer a rebuttal.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  11. #50
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    What???
    First, did you read my post where I first referred to Vietnam? Second, if there is something which is inaccurate, then it is up to you to offer a rebuttal.
    Quickly re-reading it again I still don't see any specifics about him lying in reference to Viet Nam. - post 39
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  12. #51
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    Quickly re-reading it again I still don't see any specifics about him lying in reference to Viet Nam. - post 39
    Who claimed anyone lied about Vietnam? Let me repost my original argument since you seem to be unwilling to scroll down a few posts and read it:

    Nixon.... if Hillary can be compared to anyone, it is him. It was his image and poor public perception which lost him the election against Kennedy. He won because people wanted out of Vietnam. Kind of the same reason Obama beat the Republican. People wanted out of Iraq and were willing to risk it all on a junior Senator from Illinois that no one really knew.
    I am comparing Hillary to Nixon. The comparison is that it took Vietnam to get Nixon elected and I don't see a similar impetus that would lead to Hillary's victory. The partisan race/gender baiting stuff sounds good to you, but it is beltway, partisan dribble. It is not on the order of Vietnam in terms of bringing out voters and casting ballots.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  13. #52
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    Ok, but I still don't understand your comparison between Hillary and Nixon, or Bubba and Nixon. Could you explain why you think they are similar?
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  14. #53
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    Ok, but I still don't understand your comparison between Hillary and Nixon, or Bubba and Nixon. Could you explain why you think they are similar?
    I went back through the various Presidents of the last 50 years. Much like Nixon, Hillary lost to Obama because of the contrasting image between the two. Nixon lost the debate to JFK which most historians define the point where Nixon lost the election. Most historians will also say Nixon won the substance of the debate, but lost the battle of image. So, why did the American people elect Nixon eight years later? They still didn't really like him. He still had the same character flaws. The difference was Vietnam. The American people elected Nixon because he promised he'd get them out of Vietnam. That is the kind of event it took to elect a guy like Nixon.

    Fast forward to today. People really don't like Hillary. Her image is very similar to Nixon's image back in the 1960's. Both had their support. Both had strong detractors. I don't think either liked kissing babies. However, Hillary does not have Vietnam to bail her out. First of all, her party is already holding the Presidency. Second, she is kind of hawk herself. Third, there isn't a Vietnam happening right now. We are already largely out of Iraq. So, why would the people swallow their tongues and vote for Hillary, the modern-day Nixon?

    Now, you have offered a very DNC-esque list of reasons why people would vote for Hillary. However, I am hopeful you'll see the difference between the vague and abstract claims you've made versus the very concrete event which I am offering. I am not claiming that there won't be people who are swayed by your argument. I am claiming it isn't one that will convince lots of people that are not already part of the Hillary/DNC base of voters. And, she'll need a lot more than her hard base to win the election.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  15. #54
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    Hillary isn't running against the incumbent administration. She's not going to get the people you are talking about - for example those who want Obamacare repealed - anyway.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  16. #55
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    Hillary isn't running against the incumbent administration. She's not going to get the people you are talking about - for example those who want Obamacare repealed - anyway.
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Exactly. She is not running against the incumbent administration. She is Nixon without the Vietnam war. You have to ask yourself if Nixon would have ever been elected had it not been for Vietnam. I believe Hillary faces that same dilemma. Can she win this election without a Vietnam war like event driving the election? She'll invent all sorts of pseudo-wars as part of her campaign. War on women. War on minorities. Etc. Yet, she knows, and most reasonable people know, these are purely ideological arguments that play well with her base, but don't extend much past that. She isn't getting a lot of independent voters on board with these arguments.

    http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/...vorable-rating
    Hillary's favorability rating is under 50% and more people dislike her than like her. Unlike other candidates, not a lot of people are undecided about her either. I'd have to do some research for past candidates, but being under 50% does not seem like a good place to be for any candidate. Like Nixon, people just don't trust Hillary. Can Hillary win? Sure. Nixon did get elected, twice. On the other hand, without the supporting events which helped Nixon, I just do not see where Hillary picks up the support. Well... that's not entirely true. She will turn this into a really nasty campaign. She's the pig in the mud and the only way she wins is by bringing everyone else down in the mud with her. Expect lots of leaks about past candidate behavior. In fact, is it at all surprising that the NYT was already putting one candidate on blast for speeding tickets??? We find out Rubio, the scofflaw, had acquired something like 4 speeding tickets over a ten year period, but the NYT sensationalized it by including tickets his wife had collected. It is going to be that kind of election, but I am not sure it will be enough.

    This could be the real reason why the RNC has prompted a million candidates to jump into the race. The more candidates, the less Clinton can muckrake any single candidate. She'll go after the emerging front running, but if that person changes, she has to start all over again. The closer we get to the general election, the harder it will be for Hillary to alter the public's perception of that candidate. Kind of a conspiracy theory on my part with that one..... Take out the tin hats boys!
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  17. #56
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post

    This could be the real reason why the RNC has prompted a million candidates to jump into the race. The more candidates, the less Clinton can muckrake any single candidate. She'll go after the emerging front running, but if that person changes, she has to start all over again. The closer we get to the general election, the harder it will be for Hillary to alter the public's perception of that candidate. Kind of a conspiracy theory on my part with that one..... Take out the tin hats boys!
    You do realize that Clinton doesn't have to battle the ridiculous number of Republican candidates, right? They get to have their own special clown show and Clinton will be fighting against the winner.

    It's much more strategic to let the clowns fight amongst themselves, as they are doing quite well, before weighing on.

  18. #57
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Exactly. She is not running against the incumbent administration. She is Nixon without the Vietnam war. You have to ask yourself if Nixon would have ever been elected had it not been for Vietnam.
    True enough I guess. Hillary doesn't have peace negotiations to meddle with like Dick had with Johnson/Humphrey...look what that got us BTW...you can expect that from Iran, just like GW's refusal to treat with North Korea lead to them developing the bomb.

    Hillary can run on the continued success of the gains made in the culture war. Her rant on voting rights could be considered a probe in that direction. Also promising to get police under control, remember the persecution? That is an issue even for some to the right.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  19. #58
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    Quote Originally Posted by JimJones8934 View Post
    You do realize that Clinton doesn't have to battle the ridiculous number of Republican candidates, right? They get to have their own special clown show and Clinton will be fighting against the winner.

    It's much more strategic to let the clowns fight amongst themselves, as they are doing quite well, before weighing on.
    Wow, that's a land speed record for missing the point..... I'm not even going to continue because it is really off-topic.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  20. #59
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Wow, that's a land speed record for missing the point..... I'm not even going to continue because it is really off-topic.
    It's your conspiracy theory not mine!

  21. #60
    Banned Indefinitely
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Support the travelling pant suit

    Ok, so when I asked what makes you say, wow, I want Hillary as my next President, your answer is that she...

 

 
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: August 13th, 2009, 07:54 AM
  2. A REAL Ironman suit?
    By southernbelle in forum Member Contributed News
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: June 14th, 2008, 07:12 AM
  3. War for oil? SUPPORT IT.
    By Apokalupsis in forum Politics
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: July 12th, 2005, 08:46 PM
  4. Bill O'Reilly hit with sexual harassment suit.
    By Booger in forum Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 15th, 2004, 01:39 PM
  5. Utterly OT: Americans travelling abroad
    By sjjs in forum Shootin' the Breeze / Off-Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 8th, 2004, 10:51 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •