Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Music=Bad?

abbyolurin1

Music=Bad?

Does music have a harmful effect on todays youth??

Agree or Disagree?

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Music=Bad?

No it doesn't.

I disagree assuming your position is that it does.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godlesspagan
    No it doesn't.

I disagree assuming your position is that it does.
    I agree with your disagreement - but I wouldn't make any assumtions with a newcomer here.

Music is one of the best forms of education for youth. It teaches discipline, excercises memory and encourages creativity. As far as "todays" youth - they are not all that much different - it's the parents who have changed.
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopCitySid
    I agree with your disagreement - but I wouldn't make any assumtions with a newcomer here.
    Well, the "agree-disagree" portion is unclear. I had to choose. The poster forced my hand. :p

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I think 90% of all problems began when the kids started listening to that rock and roll. Moving their hips suggestively, swaying neurotically. It is just a gateway to things like premarital sex, drugs, and violence. The good lord would have none of that business, let me tell you.

Seriously, though. I think music can have a detrimental effect on young people. It can also have a positive effect. Young children listening to music stars behave in a violent or cruel manner will pick up on some of those traits. Do you think young people listening to rap stars who call women hoes, will grow up having more or less respect for women? The youth have also derived a part of their lexicon from the artistic heroes of the day. Be it the Beatles, Elvis, or AC/DC kids are listening to the message. The kids who listened to death metal in the 80's may or may not have been more aggressive than other kids. It is pretty clear, though, that their ability to communicate was guided by the music. So, fast forward to today. Band like 50 Cent, Eminem, etc. are telling a group of young people how to relate to each other. That method utilizes drugs, violence, and sex. I don't blame the artists. The problem is that messages with very adult themes are being listened to by children. They are influenced by others because they are children and haven't grown their own identity. The problem is that such messages should be filtered by parents. Where parents are available, such messages aren't likely to have such a great effect. Unfortunately, the kids who need parental guidance the most or those most likely to be influenced by the negative messages of modern music. I think back to old-school bands like Slayer or Testament. Death and dying were part of these bands' themes. But they were wrapped into a fantasy type theme. It was easy not to take the messages literally. Todays bands, though, claim to be doing exactly the opposite. Their messages are meant to be taken literally. Just keepin it real. To a brain that is still grappling with the abilty to reason abstractly (and young teens are doing just that), such music can have a deliterious effect.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have to base it on the teens maturity or lack there of.Some youth are more influencial than others.Some are searching for acceptance from peers.Others are searching for role models.Some may be influenced by sexual lyrics or images and not influenced by violent lyrics /images and visa versa.
    However we can not be so bold as to say it has no negative or positive influence.Art is bound to reach and effect someone.That is it's point.If it didn't have this type of hold over youth, McDonalds would not be offering rap artists $ to rap about burgers.Perfume companies would not be signing mega dollar deals with J-Lo and Britney.What the heck do they know about cosmetics? Companies recognize singers influence and hold over reaching youth.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, the wisdom of tinks!!! /\ |)|

As a lot of peoples' new God/Idol is the 'Personality' or 'Celebrity' thing, and the young can be 'turned on' by most things percieved as challenging the envelope of 'convention'; singers and pop groups are in an 'ideal' spot to support or subvert immature minds and perceptions.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I agree mostly with Ibelsd.

"Music..." think about that word. All "music" really is, is an arrangement of sounds with instruments. Yet, anyone who has ever listened to Mozart or any other classical artist knows that such sounds can be manipulated to invoke a multitude of emotions within the listener. Even the voice of a great opera singer is an instrument. You don't have to understand a word of it to know what emotion is being conveyed. It would seem to follow then, that you should be able to derive the intended emotion from the "music" of any given song, based on instruments, tempo, etc.... Throw rap into the equation...and see if you can make it fit into "music."

Music is such a complexity because there are so many elements in it. Is it the lyrics, the beat, the statement, or just how it makes you want to move? It can be combination of all those things or just one.

It's almost silly, really. Think about rap music. You dance...to a statement. lol.

BUT, just like any art, some of it can be very disturbing. Somewhere along the way, "music" became more about rebellion than it did about art. The quality of sound has just diminished in most bands. The lyrics pack a rebellious punch. Maybe it all started with "the blues", who knows. The Blues are really about people singing about a life they don't want to be living. They are *****in' and complainin'. One step further and it's Rock n Roll. That is probably the biggest turning point where music went from being about the "sound" to being about the "statement."

Like all public speakers, what musical artists (I use that term loosely) say can plant harmful seeds. Yet, like all public speakers, they can motivate positive change. To use rap as an example, "Wil Smith doesn't curse to sell records. Well I do...so f*** him and f*** you, too." Who has sold more records I wonder? The reason why such artists as Eminem are so popular is because, like the blues, they rap about things that are important to the intended audience. It is an outlet for people's emotion. In the same way that Toni Morrison is a Nobel Prize winning novelist and Danielle Steele is not, the musicians that are often viewed negatively invoke a morbid drama within the listener that all too often they can relate to.

Sure, it would be nice if all music was about lollipops and fairies, but then, what would we dance to?
    Souls of the animal kingdom: eagle, fox, bottle-nose dolphin, octopus, house cat. Okay, let's jump this jump. -- Rod Kimble

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

If a kid goes out and kills someone and blames it on Ozzy or Ice Cube, there were deeper lying issues than simple being negatively influenced by a song. Music, in and of itself, is harmless.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Of course GP you are right, but those deeper lying issues are the exact reasons parents should monitor what children that are that influencial listen to and or view.
    Madonna doesn't own a TV because she knows the power she held over youth and wants to protect her children from the likes of herself.Eminem has never let his daughter listen to his music.He always makes her a different version so she can't listen to the same music that is played over our radios. I personally like Eminem, take what he says with the humor I think he intends, but if I had a son that was a little light in the emotional development area there is No way I would consider the music harmless for my child. It would be easy to believe an immature youth could take the sarcasm of Eminems lyrics, and believe that's how he really feels.It is not so difficult to believe a lost teen may listen and react as a strange way to connect, or feel closer to their idol.
    Is is harmful to me? No. Is it harmful for the majority of people? I wouldn't think so. Does it have the ability to influence youth in a negative way? Of course.
    We are not just talking murder & rape here.We are also talking disrespect.

Depends...In real life or in the chat rooms?
    Post Thanks / Like

Music affects the way you think, Period.
    Be it good, be it worse, music affects the way with which you think, at the present time that you are listening to such.
    Music may provoke behavior, or inspire such things from happening, but it is merely a tool, such as religion is to people. A tool used by many as a "getaway" of sorts, to escape the world we live in. And to engage themselves into something different.
    I, personally, do not agree with music, present day, or past, (I can tolerate jazz and classical). I in no way mean to infer that listening to Snoop Dog, is gona want you to "pop a cap that that mofo's A**" but, with underlying problems in ones life already, it may, "kick" one up the steps to doing such actions, if the correct conditions apply.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Moral, Amoral, Immoral - you pays your personal money and makes your personal choice.

Independent minds, Semi-independent minds, Dependent minds - you pays your personal money and makes your personal choice.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

abbyolurin1

/\ You all have interesting views on the subject.

When I initially asked the question I did not really have a "agree/disagree" view on the matter. The purpose of the question was to actually see the public view on the effect it has.

I am writing a paper. I don't listen to music often. I didnt want to up and assume that it caused negativity just becuase the Christian Council said so.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godlesspagan
    If a kid goes out and kills someone and blames it on Ozzy or Ice Cube, there were deeper lying issues than simple being negatively influenced by a song. Music, in and of itself, is harmless.
    One can say that about anything. Liquor, guns, knives,etc. Still, it is a good idea to restict youth access to certain things (I am not saying this is the job of the government). Parents should be no more willing to let 12 year old Johnny carry a gun to school than listen to gangsta rap. Neither will item means something bad will happen. In the hands of a 12 year old, though, what parent is irresponsible enough to want to take a chance? I am not saying music is bad, but it shouldn't be considered harmless or completely passive within the environment.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd
    One can say that about anything. Liquor, guns, knives,etc. Still, it is a good idea to restict youth access to certain things (I am not saying this is the job of the government).
    I never said it shouldn't be. It is the responsibility of parents to determine when and where their children are exposed to different elements of life, mature music being one of them.

Parents should be no more willing to let 12 year old Johnny carry a gun to school than listen to gangsta rap. Neither will item means something bad will happen.
    Exactly.

In the hands of a 12 year old, though, what parent is irresponsible enough to want to take a chance?
    I refer to the above.

I am not saying music is bad, but it shouldn't be considered harmless or completely passive within the environment.
    In and of itself, it is harmless.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abbyolurin1
    I am writing a paper.
    Bad form. Do your own CENSORED homework.

abbyolurin1

Bad form. Do your own CENSORED homework
    Meaning??

abbyolurin1

I'm not using your ideas. I just wanted to know other peoples view on the subject.

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abbyolurin1
    I'm not using your ideas. I just wanted to know other peoples view on the subject.
    Meh. Don't sweat Zhav. He gets a little tense sometimes. Lemme see if I can turn your little red square back to green.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zhavric
    Bad form. Do your own CENSORED homework.
    OH Zhav, now shame shame! All this talk about today's youth not caring what all us old folks think, and we find one wise enough to do some research and get the opinions of people with more life experience than He/she.
    Not to mention, seems interested in school and getting an education. Not running around the mall like a screech ape bothering people.Maybe we have a great future investigative journalist amongst us.Encourage Mr. Grumpy..Just consider it like Big Brother mentoring my love!

abbyolurin, welcome to ODN! Zhav must be having a bad day.He is usually rushing to give his opinions and thoughts on things, and he is a brilliant guy.Just a little jeklyll hydish sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast