Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Intro to a discussion on fallacies

I’d like to start up a series of threads with the Peers, assuming we have enough interest, that would somewhat serve to revive the fallacy working group we once had. And that would serve to, perhaps, act as a guide for new members or maybe even a more decisive reference for general debate.

This will be handled by us addressing each of the major fallacies in turn and discussing them. Why are they a fallacy? Are they always fallacies? Etc.

However, to start such a project, we’ll have to start here by getting a common operating picture. We need to define what a fallacy is a bit I think.

The definitions of this term seem to revolve principally around a reasoning technique that leads to a false conclusion.

The most obvious example to my mind is:

If A -> B
    B
    Therefore A.

IE affirming the consequent.

I think it is important to note (and many debaters have trouble with this), that A could well be true. That this is a fallacy doesn’t make the conclusion false, it only makes the statement “A is a true statement because of B” false.

I would propose that that is a relatively good operational definition of a fallacy. A fallacy is when the statement “Conclusion is true because of premises” is false.

Would that be a good statement? Are there any other suggestions?

And as a side note, is there interest in starting the fallacy discussions?
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Intro to a discussion on fallacies

I had some articles written up, I suppose that I could post some of them here, although I'd probably re-edit them somewhat, and I have no guarantee on how long that'd take.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire