Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Kurds Starting To Panic In War Against ISIS

The Kurds desperately need an influx of arms and supplies in order to be able to continue to hold their 600-mile long border against ISIS attacks.

The need for weapons has only increased over the past months as the militant group has effectively plundered Iraqi military bases after overrunning cities, Yaroslav Trofimov reports from Kurdish-controlled areas for The Wall Street Journal.

“Peshmerga ammunition stocks are running low and whatever heavy weapons they have are mostly of Saddam Hussein-era vintage,” Trofimov reports, citing Peshmerga commanders.

Currently, Kurdish lines throughout Iraq consist of defenses manned by Peshmerga troops armed with outdated weapons with dwindling supplies of ammunition.

And although the Peshmerga have put up an effective defense since being driven back by an ISIS offensive last summer, their positions could be easily overrun should ISIS launch a concentrated assault.

“If ISIS combines its forces and pushes into one area with multiple vehicles, they will break through — and then the whole line breaks,” Jamestown Foundation analyst Wladimir van Wilgenburg told The Journal.

This concern is especially true should ISIS launch a suicide blitz like it has done previously in Ramadi and Mosul. On those occasions, the militants overwhelmed well-defended static Iraqi defensive positions through waves of suicide car bombings that demoralized and ultimately drove back the Iraqi forces.

“There is little defense against a multi-ton car bomb; there is none against multiple such car bombs. … the Islamic State is able to overwhelm once-thought formidable static defenses through a calculated and concentrated use of suicide bombers,” The Soufan Group notes. “The Islamic State has neither a shortage of such explosives nor a shortage of volunteers eager to partake in suicide attacks.”
    http://www.dineshdsouza.com/news/bus...-against-isis/

Many of the people who have been driven from their homes by ISIS have found refuge among the Kurds. If the Kurds are defeated they will have to go through this suffering a second time.
    The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Blog

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kurds Starting To Panic In War Against ISIS

Of all the groups in the middle east, the Kurds I think are most deserving of military aid and support. They have been consistent partners and seem to share our own values far more than most other groups. While I know there are political issues vis-vis Turkey, I think we should be all in on helping the Kurds defend northern Iraq.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

3. Thanks theophilus thanked for this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    Of all the groups in the middle east, the Kurds I think are most deserving of military aid and support. They have been consistent partners and seem to share our own values far more than most other groups. While I know there are political issues vis-vis Turkey, I think we should be all in on helping the Kurds defend northern Iraq.
    I do not disagree that they deserve our help. However, are you willing to arm which will alienate our Turkish allies? More importantly, in 10-20 years, are you willing to intervene when a civil war breaks out between the Turks and Kurds (armed by U.S. weapons)? Everyone wants to get involved and I get that. When it comes to the ME... I think the minimal involvement the better. Can we protect Kurd positions without arming them? Even better, can we entice Turkey to protect the Kurds? When posed the decision of us arming the Kurds or keeping them unarmed, but under Turkish protection, which would Turkey choose? I know, from an American viewpoint, I'd much rather keep the Kurds minimally armed instead of adding yet another powder keg to the region. Oh, and don't get me wrong, I like keeping powder kegs in the region. I just can't let it profligate out of control. I love that ISIS is in Syria essentially doing what Obama should have done after making his idiotic line in the sand comment. I love that Iran's main partner in the region has gone to hell. I love that Iran is surrounded by complete instability. I love that Egypt and Saudi Arabia are under intense pressure externally and internally. Since ISIS has been running around the desert, cutting off heads and tweeting about it, Israel and Palestine have barely made a peep. Sure, there is still some rocket fire and whatnot, but Iran has its hands full and Israel certainly doesn't have to worry about Syria right now. So, now the biggest focus should be in how to keep Iran from going nuclear. In all reality, while we may be able to delay this, we probably cannot stop it long-term. So, I am not even sure how much I'd do to try to stop it. I think I'd negotiate from a position of, hey, fine make your bomb. Have fun dealing with Israel... I'd then happily sell Israel lots of military contracts. Look, let's not pretend we use Israel to conduct proxy wars in the region just as Iran uses Hezbollah. The only difference is that some Americans have gotten all self-righteous about it. You know, what we should have learned is that some wars can be put off, but never avoided. I think, in the end, the war with the ME is one that will need to happen.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    However, are you willing to arm which will alienate our Turkish allies?
    If the Kurds are defeated ISIS will be close enough to Turkey to be a threat to it.
    The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Blog

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theophilus View Post
    If the Kurds are defeated ISIS will be close enough to Turkey to be a threat to it.
    So, as I have noted several times, ISIS must be contained. It must continue to be a sub-state actor. However, arming the Kurds in the hope of wiping ISIS out is short-sighted and would have large repercussions down the road which I think may be worse than the current situation.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.