Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

SCOUTS rules in favor of gay marriage nation-wide

"The Supreme Court on Friday delivered a historic victory for gay rights, ruling 5 to 4 that the Constitution requires that same-sex couples be allowed to marry no matter where they live and that states may no longer reserve the right only for heterosexual couples."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...8e5_story.html

I don't really see much debate here on whether gay marriage should be legalized, so I'll offer no arguments this time and present this in MCN.

2. Likes CowboyX liked this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SCOUTS rules in favor of gay marriage nation-wide

BTW they also ruled on the AHCA and decided that federal exchanges could provide subsidies for insurance.

Happy with both of those outcomes. I haven't read the details on the gay marriage ruling yet.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the court taking to itself new powers never given it should be considered historic anymore.
    We have had two decisions that while they represent what some people wanted as an end (even for me to some extent) the road there has opened our nation to a lot of const reading problems in the future.
    Bottom line, the court has shown that it will reach a conclusion and justify it however it likes even in nonsensical ways.

Now lets Party!
    To serve man.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    I don't think the court taking to itself new powers never given it should be considered historic anymore.
    What new powers? I'm not a law/government expert, but I'm pretty sure the power to rule on the constitutionality of laws is not at all a new power for the SCOTUS. I'm pretty sure they were doing that since the court's inception.

Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    We have had two decisions that while they represent what some people wanted as an end (even for me to some extent) the road there has opened our nation to a lot of const reading problems in the future.
    Bottom line, the court has shown that it will reach a conclusion and justify it however it likes even in nonsensical ways.
    Again, not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that the SCOTUS is supposed to base its ruling on whether laws should remain based on whether or not they violate the US Constitution and if they find that the laws do violate the constitution, they really have no choice but to invalidate the law.

And the laws they removed clearly violated the constitutional right to equal protection under the law so they had no choice but to remove the laws banning gay marriage.

From what I can see it's the dissents that seem nonsensical. After a casual reading, they seem to be just ignoring whether the decision on whether the laws are unconstitutional is correct or not and seem to forward that either the SCOTUS is not an appropriate body to rule as it did or that there are larger concerns than the constitutionality of the law.
    Last edited by mican333; June 27th, 2015 at 07:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The original intent was for them to make a ruling and then it would be up to the legislature to act.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

For being one of the most historic events in American political history, this thread is awfully silent.

As for the ruling --it's not surprising, and it's not the first time in history that SCOTUS has used selective incorporation. It's hard a very long history now dating back to well before most of the members on this forum were born. It's the same basis for all civil liberties cases that the Supreme Court has ruled on. If you are ignorant of the past 60 years of Supreme Court rulings, then please by all means take a civics class and inform yourself.

I'll also say this --ODN's general culture here has become rather politically conservative, but it is nice to know that the world as a whole disagrees with the conservative ideology. While the conservatives may take a midterm election here and there, I will say (and have said in the past here on ODN) that leftwing politics is on the rise in America and the current conservative ideology is on the losing side of history, and will do little more than continue to incur loses. Conservative ideology was 12 + 8 years, and the final 8 years of Bush's failure is something Americans will not forget (or at least for the entirety of my generation).
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix View Post
    I'll also say this --ODN's general culture here has become rather politically conservative, but it is nice to know that the world as a whole disagrees with the conservative ideology. While the conservatives may take a midterm election here and there, I will say (and have said in the past here on ODN) that leftwing politics is on the rise in America and the current conservative ideology is on the losing side of history, and will do little more than continue to incur loses. Conservative ideology was 12 + 8 years, and the final 8 years of Bush's failure is something Americans will not forget (or at least for the entirety of my generation).

Western history has been on a progressive trajectory since the enlightenment. Slower, perhaps, than I'd like, but in our system it's not difficult for the majority to block advancements.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

There was a time once when conservatives were somewhat flexible, or at least those with political sway were. Now... well its a little more about reactionary politics on the right.

I think liberalism in the sense of classical liberty and dignity for all people is a march that started a while back and has been beating a steady beat forward. Its a slow fight and it takes it one step at a time but its a tide that has churned away at the rocks of traditional hierarchy and privilege slowly but surely.

I think the struggle between progressive group action and fiscal conservatism however is more of a back and forth. That too I think makes strides but I feel like there are many times a progressive viewpoint badly over-reaches and discovers their abilities simply don't match their ambitions. I think that side of modern liberalism has a lot of ups and downs to go and conservative politics will allays find fertile ground on those seeing this as a fools errand. On the other hand I think there will always be a lot of public demand for it so it will wash and wave.
    Feed me some debate pellets!