Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Ancient Relics

Post Thanks / Like

Ancient Relics

This is not about me although I'm a suitable candidate.
    Quite recently one of the oldest copies of the Koran was found at Birmingham University.
    Professor David Thomas said with bated breath the writer may have heard Muhammad preach.
    The next Muslim expert was almost in tears as he sobbed out the great news. The aforsaid document is to be put on public display and Birmingham may well become a place of pillgrimage.
    Now I'm as interested in the past as most men, but this sycophantic reverence turns my stomach.
    It puts a lie to the claim that it is the contents of a document that matters.
    Such a find by Isis as they destroy ancient buildings would bring them to their knees quicker than US jets.
    We should feel no more sensative about burning Bibles as copies of Pride and Prejudice.
    I'm not in the habit of burning books or flags although I would if necessary to keep warm.
    For many years I screwed up newspaper and chopped wood to light a coal fire in thd winter; perhaps I should have cherished those articles and shivered.
    Many copies of English translations of the Bible were burnt by the Catholic church who insisted on latin only versions.
    Lets come to our senses while we have the freedom to use them, for freedom may be more fragile than we think.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ancient Relics

So there's something to debate with where? This is an emotional diatribe, not a debate OP.
    There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.
    Nahj ul-Balāgha by Ali bin Abu-Talib

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ancient Relics

Luke Obviously you were angered by my babblings, they are not directed at anyone.
    A few find debatable points in them and thats good. I just need to get these feelings off my chest onto paper like many others on this site. The world produces all sorts of reactions and feelings in me as it does in all people, and I get a lot from this website without debating by just reading the comments. Besides which my debating abilities are somewhat limited as are my journalistic talents.
    Remember this site is for all abilities and talents not just the smart or the elite.