Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Daddy Long-Legs

Post Thanks / Like

Daddy Long-Legs

John's wife came dashing hysterically out of the bathroom, "John, she screemed there is a horrible daddy long- legs hovering in the bathroom please get it out quickly."
    This happened every so often, Lisa had a phobia of insects, they threw her into a panic, which no amount of reason could remove.
    John rolled up a newspaper and went into the bathroom closing the door behind him. The harmless creature had settled on the window , and suddenly he felt unable to kill it just like that. Why should he bring its life to an end?what harm had it done him?After all every creature had a right to exist, who was he to play God?
    Time and time again he had told Lisa that they did not sting or bite; he felt angry that he should be the executioner of a harmless insect because of his wife's whim. So he opened the window and gently ushered the hovering creature into the summer night.

Based on a true incident of no great import in world events.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Daddy Long-Legs

Quote Originally Posted by kaptonok View Post
    After all every creature had a right to exist...
    Do you believe that every creature has a right to exist? What makes you think so?

What evidence or logic is there to support such a position?
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

I dressed this piece in my best verbiage for this part of the site but since you ask here goes.
    I read your piece about hunting and for the record I'm not a leftist animal rights type.
    To kill any creature for pleasure is a barbaric act and shows a serious lack of civilised behaviour.
    There are lots of reasons to kill; some dubious but all understandable.
    Revenge, possesion, hatred, protection of livelyhood, food, punishment. We need to contemplate them all.
    The religious person who kills for pleasure is insulting the creator who made everything for a purpose.
    The non- religious person shows a serious lack of understanding of the battle for exsistence which every creature is entitled to fight and that will end in defeat anyway.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The religious person who kills for pleasure is insulting the creator who made everything for a purpose.
    I'd generally agree.

The non- religious person shows a serious lack of understanding of the battle for existence which every creature is entitled to fight and that will end in defeat anyway.
    I really don't understand what you're driving at.

My town has a mosquito control company fog the park and some neighborhoods during summer to kill mosquitoes, making outdoor activities more enjoyable. Is that a violation of the biting fly's right to exist? If so, where does that right to exist come from? Should we not kill mosquitoes that are biting us, and instead just try to shoo them away? Should we concede the outdoors to them and stay inside when they are at peak season?
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

We have tge right to cull and to kill when we are being attacked, but at the sametime the mosquito has the right to contest our dominion.
    From the smallest virus to man himself we all struggle to survive and this momentous struggle has created the living world as we know it. It is rejected by many including Richard Dawkins who hates the idea he believes that human society is a result of this battle.
    We are fast discovering that all life is interdependant.
    Man largely has dominon except in the world of insects, bacteria and viruses. Unless we soon find some new antibiotics instead of gazing into space and wasting brains and resources we could soon lose a lot of ground.
    Many religionists including Christians believe there is a paradise where the food chain does not exist and the lion will lie down with the lamb. This could easily lead to the idea that the world does not matter too much since it will be swept away.
    I hope soon to write a short piece on purpose but I need to marshal my thoughts.