Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Iranians to inspect thier own nuclear sites?

So part of President Obama's recent treaty work with Iran was the promise that we would be able to verify compliance. There was, of course, silence on the questions of how that would work given our need to give them 30 days notice.

But in a, frankly bizarre, twist of events. The UN has agreed to allow the Iranians to inspect themselves at several key military sites.

Iran will be allowed to use its own inspectors to investigate a site it has been accused of using to develop nuclear arms, operating under a secret agreement with the U.N. agency that normally carries out such work, according to a document seen by The Associated Press.
    The agreement in question diverges from normal procedures by allowing Tehran to employ its own experts and equipment in the search for evidence of activities it has consistently denied - trying to develop nuclear weapons.

Olli Heinonen, who was in charge of the Iran probe as deputy IAEA director general from 2005 to 2010, said he could think of no similar concession with any other country.
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...08-19-13-06-05

I think this kind of odd side deal is a great example of why this is a terrible negotiating platform, one even some Democrats don't support.

So I'm curious, does anyone here still support this deal? Or better yet, can someone explain how this treaty will actually slow Iranian nuclear concerns?
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.