Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Missouri - Racism and WTF????

I guess the story is that students at the Univ. of Missouri have been protesting and demanding that the school system's president step down. In a showing of solidarity, the school's football team refused to take part in football activities until the president resigned. Long story, short, the president resigned today. I am not too interested in why.

What interests me is why the students were protesting in the first place. After reading the story from several different sites, I am still not really clear. There were a couple of incidents where black students were involved in incidents where they were called racist names. None of the stories made it clear whether the incidents were provoked by actual students as, at least, one of the incidents appeared to occur off-campus. They made some demands about more diversity centers on campus, mandatory sensitivity training for all students and faculty, and the hiring of more black professors. Apparently, about 6% of the students are black and about 3% of the professors are black. The president had refused to meet with what was described as a virtual mob which surrounded his car after some on-campus event.

So, I guess the whole thing in a nut-shell is, this whole thing just seems overblown and the adults in the room (i.e. the football coach) appeared to support what seems like a gross tantrum. Now, maybe someone will have some additional information to add some perspective. It seems like their demands were not catered to, probably because most of them seemed like costly wastes of money. I think the black movement is imploding on itself. They have run out of real issues to complain about. No one is keeping them off of the bus, out of schools, or denying them opportunities. So, now all they can complain about are supposed micro-agressions which is about as legitimate as getting a paper cut and comparing it to a severed limb.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.