Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Trump would make a great president

    It occurs to me that Trump might actually be a good president:

    1. He is a proven leader - clearly running the business he has been doing shows a great deal of skill as a leader of men.
    2. His lack of detail forces him to go to experts - I think that he listens to the best ideas and makes a decision. His lack of knowledge is appalling but if he surrounds himself with good staff he may actually pull it off.
    3. He chooses good people and fixes issues quickly - I was impressed how quickly he pulled back his new campaign manager after he revealed Trump's "act"; it shows he pays attention and deals with issues before they become big problems. He destroyed Bush for being "low energy" and I loved how spot on and effective that was - Trump knows people and their weaknesses.
    4. He is a social progressive and isn't afraid to go against the party grain. Trump (and Kasich) are both on the right side of history regarding gays and transgendered. I loved his answer about when asked about how many T-people worked in his company: he said he didn't know and didn't care - it isn't a relevant issue.
    5. He's likely an atheist or very lax Christian - probably the first politician to not really pander too much on the religious side of things. I think that's why he has the Evangelicals - he portrays being a Christian enough without being preachy like nearly every other politician (especially the self-anointed Messiah Ted Cruz!).


    I think one major effect of his presidency would be to make liberal and progressive policies mainstream and it would be a breath of fresh air to have the country on the same page on gender issues as we are on women's issues. There's no need to politicize social changes as the Right has been wont to do in the last few decades. In that, I think he does better with his messages as a Republican rather than a Democrat, even though I think he really is a Democrat: he supports universal health care and other social platforms.

    He could do with toning down his fear mongering of foreigners (especially Hispanic and Muslims) but I haven't seen him say anything terrible about African Americans. Again, he's going against the usual Republican grain, and may pull in some Democrats who hate Clinton with a passion.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Posts
    7,475
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trump would make a great president

    If I had to choose between Trump and Cruiz, I'd take Trump, at least on policy. I'm pretty sure if I knew him personally I'd detest the guy. He's so full of **** so much of the time, I can't stand that kind of personality. It's very useful in business, I've met a lot of executives with that kind of attitude, what you say is only important the moment you say it and what effect it has is far more important than how true it is.

    Foreign policy (excepting trade) is the only area I would strongly mistrust his judgement.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trump would make a great president

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    If I had to choose between Trump and Cruiz, I'd take Trump, at least on policy. I'm pretty sure if I knew him personally I'd detest the guy. He's so full of **** so much of the time, I can't stand that kind of personality. It's very useful in business, I've met a lot of executives with that kind of attitude, what you say is only important the moment you say it and what effect it has is far more important than how true it is.

    Foreign policy (excepting trade) is the only area I would strongly mistrust his judgement.
    I don't think he knows enough to do any serious damage and there's a big buffer between him and congress before he can do serious damage. I'm more worried that Clinton would lead us into another war or Cruz into a religious one than Trump. He's more about business and the economy, especially his own personal business of building which requires stability and peace. Imagine the prestige of staying at a Trump hotel anywhere in the world!

    It's possible that his blustering and personal wealth and fame might make him quite a good negotiator. His no nonsense attitude and willingness to say what's on his mind publicly would give a lot of foreign politicians a kick up the butt. I don't look forward to a Trump presidency but it will be great fun to say the least.

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,961
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trump would make a great president

    The "running government like a business" is nonsense since a government isn't a business and is a mantra Bush 2 used. Relying on "experts" and delegating left us with Cheney, Rove, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, etc. Delegating only works when there is accountability and in the presidency that is near to impossible as holding underlings accountable (for example, firing them) is bad PR for the "boss" and without accountability it is just laziness.

    Trump, with all his money, can't even be bothered to get a tailored suit or take professional advice about his hair so I doubt he'll be on top of things whereas business allows you do things differently.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trump would make a great president

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    The "running government like a business" is nonsense since a government isn't a business and is a mantra Bush 2 used.
    I don't think Trump has really said that at all. His mantra is that he is successful in choosing the right people for the right job and able to react quickly when needed. I think his desire to see universal heathcare of some kind demonstrates that he isn't going to treat the job strictly like a business.


    Relying on "experts" and delegating left us with Cheney, Rove, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, etc. Delegating only works when there is accountability and in the presidency that is near to impossible as holding underlings accountable (for example, firing them) is bad PR for the "boss" and without accountability it is just laziness.
    This is the great unknown about Trump - who he will choose to be his advisers. As I pointed out, I don't think he's pro war very much, so I don't see a repeat of Bush.


    Trump, with all his money, can't even be bothered to get a tailored suit or take professional advice about his hair so I doubt he'll be on top of things whereas business allows you do things differently.
    Yet, he is able to tap into the American psyche more so than any candidate other than Bernie. Bernie is very unlikely to get the nomination because he cannot defeat the Democratic Establishment whereas Trump is close to defeating the Republican one. Trump launched his campaign by listening to right-wing radio and adopting the talking points of those that would propel him into the nomination. I think he's bothered about the things that make him win and doesn't care about other things that don't.

    Still I think a lot of the credit for Trump's success has to do with the attention that the MSM has given him, likely in a cynical ploy to ruin Cruz' chances. But that too could be part of Trump's master plan all along! Is he so smart he looks dumb or so dumb he looks smart?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trump would make a great president

    The Trump is now the presumptive nominee! Not my first choice but at least he got rid of Cruz.

  7. #7
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,961
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trump would make a great president

    Quote Originally Posted by SadElephant View Post
    I don't think Trump has really said that at all.
    That is the implication.

    ---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by SadElephant View Post

    This is the great unknown about Trump - who he will choose to be his advisers. As I pointed out, I don't think he's pro war very much, so I don't see a repeat of Bush.
    Bush specifically ran on a policy of non-intervention and promised to not engage in nation building.

    ---------- Post added at 02:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by SadElephant View Post

    Yet, he is able to tap into the American psyche more so than any candidate other than Bernie. Bernie is very unlikely to get the nomination because he cannot defeat the Democratic Establishment whereas Trump is close to defeating the Republican one. Trump launched his campaign by listening to right-wing radio and adopting the talking points of those that would propel him into the nomination. I think he's bothered about the things that make him win and doesn't care about other things that don't.
    I agree. He is very good with the dog whistle.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trump would make a great president

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    That is the implication.
    The implication is that he will be a good executive - i.e. a leader that is not an expert at every detail but is able to be the keeper of the focus of the organization he is leading: i.e. the primary goals for its success and it's greatest threats. I think he could do that.

    Bush specifically ran on a policy of non-intervention and promised to not engage in nation building.
    Then 9/11 happened on his watch because he wasn't watching the world. Trump is most certainly aware of the world he has done business with a lot of it.

    I agree. He is very good with the dog whistle.
    Yes - he is a leader that knows the people he wants to lead. I think that's a good thing! Look at the trouble Clinton is having and how well a long shot like Bernie is doing - it's purely due to messaging and being authentic to their base.

    Another good reason, as a Democrat, to support Trump, as a Republican nominee if nothing else, is that he is liberal/progressive on many issues. If, horrors, he does become president it will mean that the far-right conservative wing of the party has been neutered and the evangelical social conservatives destroyed. And at least he supports decent health care, a minimum wage, building infrastructure and the working and middle classes. Yes, he's a little racist but that racism is really against actual harms that can be seen in the economy and Europe: it's not without some merit albeit exaggerated.

  9. #9
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,961
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trump would make a great president

    Quote Originally Posted by SadElephant View Post
    The implication is that he will be a good executive - i.e. a leader that is not an expert at every detail but is able to be the keeper of the focus of the organization he is leading: i.e. the primary goals for its success and it's greatest threats. I think he could do that.

    Then 9/11 happened on his watch because he wasn't watching the world. Trump is most certainly aware of the world he has done business with a lot of it.
    Right, which led to Iraq and an awesome example of an organization unable to admit mistakes or correct itself. You're saying Trump will be able to do that? What's your support for that?

    ---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by SadElephant View Post

    Yes - he is a leader that knows the people he wants to lead. I think that's a good thing! Look at the trouble Clinton is having and how well a long shot like Bernie is doing - it's purely due to messaging and being authentic to their base.

    Another good reason, as a Democrat, to support Trump, as a Republican nominee if nothing else, is that he is liberal/progressive on many issues. If, horrors, he does become president it will mean that the far-right conservative wing of the party has been neutered and the evangelical social conservatives destroyed. And at least he supports decent health care, a minimum wage, building infrastructure and the working and middle classes. Yes, he's a little racist but that racism is really against actual harms that can be seen in the economy and Europe: it's not without some merit albeit exaggerated.
    Yet he used questionable labor sources in building his signature Trump tower and adores using the visa system to bring in workers for his club Mar-o-Lago. Any type of support for the working class will disappear when the needs of business are discovered. That includes trade deals and tax amnesty. His immigration reform position does nothing to cut off the source of why so many illegals are here...willing employers. The only mention is a "Requirement to hire American workers first" with the only detail "Petitions for workers should be mailed to the unemployment office, not USCIS."...that's weak at best.


    In Post #1 you said "he supports universal health care" that is untrue. According to his own website he supports nothing more than the current republican plan.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Trump would make a great president

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    Right, which led to Iraq and an awesome example of an organization unable to admit mistakes or correct itself. You're saying Trump will be able to do that? What's your support for that?
    I am saying that Trump won't do the same thing because he appears to be more aware of the world around him (beyond the Arabs that is). Also, I think he's less likely to start a war with Iraq. On the other hand Clinton was behind what Obama called his biggest mistake: Libya. I think the world is a complicated place. I blame Bush for Iraq only because he deliberately ignored Bill Clinton's warnings about bin Laden.

    Yet he used questionable labor sources in building his signature Trump tower and adores using the visa system to bring in workers for his club Mar-o-Lago. Any type of support for the working class will disappear when the needs of business are discovered. That includes trade deals and tax amnesty. His immigration reform position does nothing to cut off the source of why so many illegals are here...willing employers. The only mention is a "Requirement to hire American workers first" with the only detail "Petitions for workers should be mailed to the unemployment office, not USCIS."...that's weak at best.
    Right - which means that he will likely not do any harm and that he's only saying this because this is what it takes to get nominated! It's like the wall thing - who cares? It's something he said to draw attention.

    In Post #1 you said "he supports universal health care" that is untrue. According to his own website he supports nothing more than the current republican plan.
    He has supported it in the past. Personally, I don't believe any of his current positions that are reflective of how he really feels. Wait for the pivot and see. He already doesn't support many of the conservative platform's values - Paul Ryan today said that he couldn't support him. He's a RINO at best or a Democratic plant at worst - thus showing the real power of Clinton, planned for years.

    Also, I challenge you to state what "the current republican plan" actually. AFAIK, all they have is repeal and replace it with the same exact thing!

    Edit: case in point, his response to Paul Ryan:
    - MAY 05, 2016 -

    DONALD J. TRUMP RESPONDS TO SPEAKER PAUL RYAN

    "I am not ready to support Speaker Ryan's agenda. Perhaps in the future we can work together and come to an agreement about what is best for the American people. They have been treated so badly for so long that it is about time for politicians to put them first!"


    Donald J. Trump
    Last edited by SadElephant; May 6th, 2016 at 10:15 AM.

  11. #11
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,961
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trump would make a great president

    Quote Originally Posted by SadElephant View Post

    Also, I challenge you to state what "the current republican plan" actually. AFAIK, all they have is repeal and replace it with the same exact thing!
    That's not the republican plan, repeal and replace, yes, but not with the same exact thing. I saw no difference between Trump's outline and what has been proposed by the republicans...a free market plan, allow the selling of insurance across state lines, blah blah blah
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trump would make a great president

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    That's not the republican plan, repeal and replace, yes, but not with the same exact thing. I saw no difference between Trump's outline and what has been proposed by the republicans...a free market plan, allow the selling of insurance across state lines, blah blah blah
    That's true, I forgot about the lines or whatever he was babbling about in one of the debates. However, I still hold that he is more progressive (AKA New York values) than any of the other republicans and that he's just saying this stuff to initiate a debate. All he needs to do when challenged by Clinton is that he looked into it in more detail and didn't find the plans viable and would drop it.

    If there's something we can expect from Trump is that he will change his mind!

  13. #13
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trump would make a great president

    If you are a liberal you should be overjoyed right about now. The WORST you can do is Trump. The man is, as already noted, moderate to liberal on social issues. The TG bathroom debate... he said he was uninterested. Gays and marriage? I don't think he has shown he cares about the issue much at all. He is not a social conservative. I think the most conservative social issue he took a position on was abortion where he made some clumsy statement about punishing women for getting abortions and then walked it back. He was, I think, pretty clearly pandering to primary conservatives. Like he's already stated, he is negotiating to be President. His tax plan... you heard his most conservative version. In negotiations, he's already stated his plan is likely to include some increases on the wealthy. Just watch as his immigration plan gets watered down in his negotiating for President plan. Here's the thing, I believe, in the end, he'll probably get a lot done where he manages compromises between Republicans and Democrats. That appears to be his style. He'll surround himself with policy and procedure experts. He'll manage them. He will speak and set the stage for various negotiations.

    I am not thrilled by the prospects of a Trump presidency, but if it is between him and Clinton... then its a no-brainer. Trump by a country mile.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trump would make a great president

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    If you are a liberal you should be overjoyed right about now. The WORST you can do is Trump. The man is, as already noted, moderate to liberal on social issues. The TG bathroom debate... he said he was uninterested. Gays and marriage? I don't think he has shown he cares about the issue much at all. He is not a social conservative. I think the most conservative social issue he took a position on was abortion where he made some clumsy statement about punishing women for getting abortions and then walked it back. He was, I think, pretty clearly pandering to primary conservatives. Like he's already stated, he is negotiating to be President. His tax plan... you heard his most conservative version. In negotiations, he's already stated his plan is likely to include some increases on the wealthy. Just watch as his immigration plan gets watered down in his negotiating for President plan. Here's the thing, I believe, in the end, he'll probably get a lot done where he manages compromises between Republicans and Democrats. That appears to be his style. He'll surround himself with policy and procedure experts. He'll manage them. He will speak and set the stage for various negotiations.

    I am not thrilled by the prospects of a Trump presidency, but if it is between him and Clinton... then its a no-brainer. Trump by a country mile.
    I agree, assuming you mean BEST vs WORST. He will help pull the country to the left on many issues. I think people worry too much about what he said to win the primaries - he's already walking back the ban on Muslims from entering the country and he's going to etch-a-sketch away some of the other crazy things.

    He did one great thing and that is to possibly destroy Ted Cruz' career and saved us from another Bush.

    However, I do worry about SCOTUS and the next president could well be picking two of them. So for that reason alone I would hold my nose and choose Clinton, who I think might actually lead us into another war.

  15. #15
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trump would make a great president

    Quote Originally Posted by SadElephant View Post
    I agree, assuming you mean BEST vs WORST. He will help pull the country to the left on many issues. I think people worry too much about what he said to win the primaries - he's already walking back the ban on Muslims from entering the country and he's going to etch-a-sketch away some of the other crazy things.

    He did one great thing and that is to possibly destroy Ted Cruz' career and saved us from another Bush.

    However, I do worry about SCOTUS and the next president could well be picking two of them. So for that reason alone I would hold my nose and choose Clinton, who I think might actually lead us into another war.
    I just meant that liberals should not be overly distressed by a Trump win.

    So, you want us in another war or you just would rather have two liberal SCOTUS judges than peace?
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trump would make a great president

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    I just meant that liberals should not be overly distressed by a Trump win.
    I'm actually not at all distressed. Many on the left are falling for Trump's pronouncements as if they mean anything. It's the right that should be worried their conservative agenda has been shown to mean nothing. Trump got to where he is by appealing to the racists and fearful. He will lose the general due to those pronouncements - he's already trying to start walking them back. He's going to get demolished.

    So, you want us in another war or you just would rather have two liberal SCOTUS judges than peace?
    America has been at war for nearly all its existence. Another one, which hopefully involves attacking the Middle East, will make little difference to everyone's lives here. Even ISIS will have limited capability to do serious damage here.

    But I do exaggerate a little about Clinton - I think she will be politics as usual - I imagine she will not leave much of a legacy other than SCOTUS.

    A progressive SCOTUS would have repercussions for generations.

  17. #17
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trump would make a great president

    Quote Originally Posted by SadElephant View Post
    A progressive SCOTUS would have repercussions for generations.
    And we agree on this one point.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  18. #18
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wheaton, IL
    Posts
    13,847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trump would make a great president

    Trump got to where he is by appealing to the racists and fearful. He will lose the general due to those pronouncements
    Could you go into more detail, here? When did Trump make these appeals?
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

    HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trump would make a great president

    Quote Originally Posted by CliveStaples View Post
    Could you go into more detail, here? When did Trump make these appeals?
    Here's a bunch of reasons from HuffPo:


    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b03260bf777e83
    The Justice Department sued his company — twice — for not renting to black people

    When Trump was serving as the president of his family’s real estate company, the Trump Management Corporation, in 1973, the Justice Department sued the company for alleged racial discrimination against black people looking to rent apartments in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island.

    The lawsuit charged that the company quoted different rental terms and conditions to black rental candidates than it did with white candidates, and that the company lied to black applicants about apartments not being available. Trump called those accusations “absolutely ridiculous” and sued the Justice Department for $100 million in damages for defamation.

    Without admitting wrongdoing, the Trump Management Corporation settled the original lawsuit two years later and promised not to discriminate against black people, Puerto Ricans or other minorities. Trump also agreed to send weekly vacancy lists for his 15,000 apartments to the New York Urban League, a civil rights group, and to allow the NYUL to present qualified applicants for vacancies in certain Trump properties.

    Just three years after that, the Justice Department sued the Trump Management Corporation again for allegedly discriminating against black applicants by telling them apartments weren’t available.

    In fact, discrimination against black people has been a pattern in his career

    Workers at Trump’s casinos in Atlantic City, New Jersey, have accused him of racism over the years. The New Jersey Casino Control Commission fined the Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino $200,000 in 1992 because managers would remove African-American card dealers at the request of a certain big-spending gambler. A state appeals court upheld the fine.

    The first-person account of at least one black Trump casino employee in Atlantic City suggests the racist practices were consistent with Trump’s personal behavior toward black workers.

    “When Donald and Ivana came to the casino, the bosses would order all the black people off the floor,” Kip Brown, a former employee at Trump’s Castle, told the New Yorker for a September article. “It was the eighties, I was a teen-ager, but I remember it: they put us all in the back.”

    Trump disparaged his black casino employees as “lazy” in vividly bigoted terms, according to a 1991 book by John O’Donnell, a former president of Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino.

    “And isn’t it funny. I’ve got black accountants at Trump Castle and Trump Plaza. Black guys counting my money! I hate it,” O’Donnell recalled Trump saying. “The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day.”

    “I think the guy is lazy,” Trump said of a black employee, according to O’Donnell. “And it’s probably not his fault because laziness is a trait in blacks. It really is, I believe that. It’s not anything they can control.”

    Trump has also faced charges of reneging on commitments to hire black people. In 1996, 20 African Americans in Indiana sued Trump for failing to honor a promise to hire mostly minority workers for a riverboat casino on Lake Michigan.


    TAYLOR HILL/GETTY IMAGES
    Apparently Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) does not mind Trump’s racism. Sessions endorsed the GOP front-runner on Monday.
    He refused to condemn the white supremacists who are campaigning for him

    Three times in a row on Feb. 28, Trump sidestepped opportunities to renounce white nationalist and former KKK leader David Duke, who told his radio audience last week that voting for any candidate other than Trump is “really treason to your heritage.”

    When asked by CNN’s Jake Tapper if he would condemn Duke and say he didn’t want a vote from him or any other white supremacists, Trump claimed that he didn’t know anything about white supremacists or about Duke himself. When Tapper pressed him twice more, Trump said he couldn’t condemn a group he hadn’t yet researched.

    By Feb. 29, Trump was saying that in fact he does disavow Duke, and that the only reason he didn’t do so on CNN was because of a “lousy earpiece.” Video of the exchange, however, shows Trump responding quickly to Tapper’s questions with no apparent difficulty in hearing.

    It’s preposterous to think that Trump doesn’t know about white supremacist groups or their sometimes violent support of him. Reports of neo-Nazi groups rallying around Trump go back as far as August.

    His white supremacist fan club includes the Daily Stormer, a leading neo-Nazi news site; Richard Spencer, director of the National Policy Institute, which aims to promote the “heritage, identity, and future of European people”; Jared Taylor, editor of American Renaissance, a Virginia-based white nationalist magazine; Michael Hill, head of the League of the South, an Alabama-based white supremacist secessionist group; and Brad Griffin, a member of Hill’s League of the South and author of the popular white supremacist blog Hunter Wallace.

    A leader of the Virginia KKK who is backing Trump told a local TV reporter earlier this month, “The reason a lot of Klan members like Donald Trump is because a lot of what he believes, we believe in.”

    And most recently, the Trump campaign announced that one of its California primary delegates was William Johnson, chair of the white nationalist American Freedom Party. The Trump campaign subsequently said his inclusion was a mistake, and Johnson withdrew his name at their request.


    CHRIS KLEPONIS/AFP/GETTY IMAGES
    President Barack Obama mercilessly ridiculed Trump’s birtherism at the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner in 2011.
    He questions whether President Obama was born in the United States

    Long before calling Mexican immigrants “criminals” and “rapists,” Trump was a leading proponent of “birtherism,” the racist conspiracy theory that President Barack Obama was not born in the United States and is thus an illegitimate president. Trump claimed in 2011 to have sent people to Hawaii to investigate whether Obama was really born there. He insisted at the time that the researchers “cannot believe what they are finding.”

    Obama ultimately got the better of Trump, releasing his long-form birth certificate and relentlessly mocking the real estate mogul about it at the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner that year.

    But Trump continues to insinuate that the president was not born in the country.

    “I don’t know where he was born,” Trump said in a speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference on Saturday. (Again, for the record: He was born in Hawaii.)

    He treats racial groups as monoliths

    Like many racial instigators, Trump often answers accusations of bigotry by loudly protesting that he actually loves the group in question. But that’s just as uncomfortable to hear, because he’s still treating all the members of the group — all the individual human beings — as essentially the same and interchangeable. Language is telling, here: Virtually every time Trump mentions a minority group, he uses the definite article the, as in “the Hispanics,” “the Muslims” and “the blacks.”

    In that sense, Trump’s defensive explanations are of a piece with his slander of minorities. Both rely on essentializing racial and ethnic groups, blurring them into simple, monolithic entities, instead of acknowledging that there’s as much variety among Muslims and Latinos and black people as there is among white people.

    How did Trump respond to the outrage last year that followed his characterization of Mexican immigrants as criminals and rapists?

    “I’ll take jobs back from China, I’ll take jobs back from Japan,” Trump said during his visit to the U.S.-Mexican border in July. “The Hispanics are going to get those jobs, and they’re going to love Trump.”

    “The Hispanics are going to get those jobs, and they’re going to love Trump.”
    Donald Trump, July 2015
    How did Trump respond to critics of his proposal to ban Muslims from entering the U.S.?

    “I’m doing good for the Muslims,” Trump told CNN in December. “Many Muslim friends of mine are in agreement with me. They say, ‘Donald, you brought something up to the fore that is so brilliant and so fantastic.’”

    Not long before he called for a blanket ban on Muslims entering the country, Trump was proclaiming his affection for “the Muslims,” disagreeing with rival candidate Ben Carson’s claim in September that being a Muslim should disqualify someone from running for president.

    “I love the Muslims. I think they’re great people,” Trump said, insisting that he would be willing to name a Muslim to his presidential cabinet.

    How did Trump respond to the people who called him out for funding an investigation into whether Obama was born in the United States?

    “I have a great relationship with the blacks,” Trump said in April 2011. “I’ve always had a great relationship with the blacks.”

    Even when Trump has dropped the definite article “the,” his attempts at praising minority groups he has previously slandered have been offensive.

    Look no further than the infamous Cinco de Mayo taco bowl tweet:

    Happy #CincoDeMayo! The best taco bowls are made in Trump Tower Grill. I love Hispanics! https://t.co/ufoTeQd8yA pic.twitter.com/k01Mc6CuDI

    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 5, 2016
    Former Republican presidential candidate and Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) had a good breakdown of everything that was wrong with Trump’s comment.

    “It’s like eating a watermelon and saying ‘I love African-Americans,’” Bush quipped.

    He trashed Native Americans, too

    In 1993, when Trump wanted to open a casino in Bridgeport, Connecticut, that would compete with one owned by the Mashantucket Pequot Nation, a local Native American tribe, he told the House subcommittee on Native American Affairs that “they don’t look like Indians to me... They don’t look like Indians to Indians.”

    Trump then elaborated on those remarks, which were unearthed last year in the Hartford Courant, by saying the mafia had infiltrated Indian casinos.


    JOE MCNALLY/GETTY IMAGES
    In the 1980s, Donald Trump was much younger, but just as racist as he is now.
    He encouraged the mob justice that resulted in the wrongful imprisonment of the Central Park Five

    In 1989, Trump took out full-page ads in four New York City-area newspapers calling for the return of the death penalty in New York and the expansion of police authority in response to the infamous case of a woman who was beaten and raped while jogging in Manhattan’s Central Park.

    “They should be forced to suffer and, when they kill, they should be executed for their crimes,” Trump wrote, referring to the Central Park attackers and other violent criminals. “I want to hate these murderers and I always will.”

    The public outrage over the Central Park jogger rape, at a time when the city was struggling with high crime, led to the wrongful conviction of five teenagers of color known as the Central Park Five.

    The men’s convictions were overturned in 2002, after they’d already spent years in prison, when DNA evidence showed they did not commit the crime. Today, their case is considered a cautionary tale about a politicized criminal justice process.

    Trump, however, still thinks the men are guilty.

    He condoned the beating of a Black Lives Matter protester

    At a November campaign rally in Alabama, Trump supporters physically attacked an African-American protester after the man began chanting “Black lives matter.” Video of the incident shows the assailants kicking the man after he has already fallen to the ground.

    The following day, Trump implied that the attackers were justified.

    “Maybe [the protester] should have been roughed up,” he mused. “It was absolutely disgusting what he was doing.”

    A black protester at Trump’s rally today in Alabama was shoved, tackled, punched & kicked: https://t.co/Aq0wuaAtax pic.twitter.com/cTRDMtjuBl

    — Jeremy Diamond (@JDiamond1) November 21, 2015
    Trump’s dismissive attitude toward the protester is part of a larger, troubling pattern of instigating violence toward protesters at campaign events that has singled out people of color.

    One reason Trump may have exhibited special disdain for that particular demonstrator in November, however, is because he believes the entire Black Lives Matter movement lacks legitimate policy grievances. He alluded to these views in an interview with the New York Times magazine this week when he described Ferguson, Missouri, as one of the most dangerous places in America. The small St. Louis suburb is not even in the top 20 highest-crime municipalities in the country.

    He called supporters who beat up a homeless Latino man “passionate”

    Trump’s racial incitement has already inspired hate crimes. Two brothers arrested in Boston last summer for beating up a homeless Latino man cited Trump’s anti-immigrant message when explaining why they did it.

    “Donald Trump was right — all these illegals need to be deported,” one of the men reportedly told police officers.

    Trump did not even bother to distance himself from them. Instead, he suggested that the men were well-intentioned and had simply gotten carried away.

    “I will say that people who are following me are very passionate,” Trump said. “They love this country and they want this country to be great again. They are passionate.”


    SPENCER PLATT/GETTY IMAGES
    Trump’s daughter Ivanka, second from left, converted to Judaism in 2009. That has not stopped Trump from bringing up anti-Semitic stereotypes.
    He stereotyped Jews as good negotiators — and political masterminds

    When Trump addressed the Republican Jewish Coalition in December, he tried to relate to the crowd by invoking the stereotype of Jews as talented and cunning businesspeople.

    “I’m a negotiator, like you folks,” Trump told the crowd, touting his book The Art of the Deal.

    “Is there anyone who doesn’t renegotiate deals in this room?” Trump said. “Perhaps more than any room I’ve spoken to.”

    But that wasn’t even the most offensive thing Trump told his Jewish audience. He implied that he had little chance of earning the Jewish Republican group’s support, because his fealty could not be bought with campaign donations.

    “You’re not going to support me, because I don’t want your money,” he said. “You want to control your own politician.”

    Ironically, Trump has many close Jewish family members. His daughter Ivanka converted to Judaism in 2009 before marrying the real estate mogul Jared Kushner. Trump and Kushner raise their two children in an observant Jewish home.

    It’s maybe not surprising that Trump has brought so much racial animus into the 2016 election cycle, given his family history. His father, Fred Trump, was the target of folk singer Woody Guthrie’s lyrics after Guthrie lived for two years in a building owned by Trump pere: “I suppose / Old Man Trump knows / Just how much / Racial hate / He stirred up / In the bloodpot of human hearts.”

    And last fall, a news report from 1927 surfaced on the site Boing Boing, revealing that Fred Trump was arrested that year following a KKK riot in Queens. It’s not clear exactly what the elder Trump was doing there or what role he may have played in the riot. Donald Trump, for his part, has categorically denied (except when he’s ambiguously denied) that anything of the sort ever happened.

    Editor’s note: Donald Trump is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist, birther and bully who has repeatedly pledged to ban all Muslims — 1.6 billion members of an entire religion — from entering the U.S.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Trump would make a great president

    Here's a new example of Trump's racism:

    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...-curiel-223849

    Here he appears to be dismissing the legitimacy of the judge presiding over his Trump University fraud case purely because he is of Mexican heritage. Apparently, because Trump is building a wall then all people of Mexican heritage can no longer to properly executed their oath of office if it relates to Trump!

    Less than six hours after securing the endorsement of House Speaker Paul Ryan, the presumptive Republican nominee said that U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel had “an absolute conflict” due to his ethnic background, adding, “I’m building a wall. It’s an inherent conflict of interest,” according to a interview in The Wall Street Journal.

    Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...#ixzz4AWV8o26E
    Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Donald Trump for President ?
    By Vandaler in forum Politics
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: April 18th, 2011, 07:39 PM
  2. Great Scene From a Great Film
    By Elutherian in forum Shootin' the Breeze / Off-Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 19th, 2009, 03:38 AM
  3. Let's make it official: President 2008 poll
    By Prime Zombie in forum ODN Polls
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: July 2nd, 2008, 12:46 AM
  4. How to make GREAT tortillas!
    By CC in forum Hobbies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 4th, 2005, 05:43 PM
  5. Bush's Secret Debate Trump Card
    By Fyshhed in forum Politics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 4th, 2004, 07:20 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •