Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can hypothetical ideas, or intangible objects be owned?

Quote Originally Posted by thefreedictionary
    Incapable of being perceived by the senses.
    Since senses are themselves thoughts which are processed by the brain, this definition cannot cover thoughts. Also, one could argue that having a thought is the same as sensing a thought.

Exactly which one of those do thoughts fall under?
    Not really relevant bearing in mind the above rebuttal, but humans have been recognized as possessing much more than just those 5 senses for many years.

Also, I made the point about thoughts and ideas and their link.
    I already rebutted your point that thoughts and ideas are the same. If you made a point regarding this which was missed, please indicate it using the post #.

Knowledge is a kind of thought. Or "intellectual property". Which we do have laws governing.
    Knowledge and thoughts are not the same thing. There are no laws governing thoughts. The knowledge which results from thoughts is a different thing altogether, and can be tracked sufficiently for it to have laws associated with it. The thought cannot.

That article makes no mention of thoughts.

That it is included in the real of intangible, is the support.
    You have not sufficiently supported that thoughts should be considered to be intangible and included in the OP.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I read your response as "Na-Huh".
    So.. I'll leave it at that.
    I apologize to anyone waiting on a response from me. I am experiencing a time warp, suddenly their are not enough hours in a day. As soon as I find a replacement part to my flux capacitor regulator, time should resume it's normal flow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    I read your response as "Na-Huh".
    So.. I'll leave it at that.
    If you choose to ignore rebuttals to your argument, then you abandon it.

Bottom line: You have not sufficiently supported that thoughts are intangible, or that they should be included in the OP's discussion regarding legal ownership of objects like patents or trademarks. You have stated that thoughts are the same as ideas and knowledge, both of which have been shown to be false. You have repeated statements which have already been rebutted without addressing the rebuttal.

I actually think the OP could be an interesting debate which focuses on how we recognize and grant ownership of various objects in the form of laws. The outlandish and almost slippery-slope "what if" argument you brought forward just doesn't belong in or add any value to that debate. It's almost as if you think the various laws recognizing ownership were enacted in the broad-brush fashion of "Hereby all intangible objects can be owned, and to question ownership of some intangible objects is to question them all!" That just isn't the case, especially when thoughts have not truly been identified as intangible objects.

As I stated before, we may very well see a time when ownership of the objects talked about in the OP is not recognized the same as is it now. But if that were to happen, it wouldn't necessarily mean anything for how we recognize ownership of any other objects, including thoughts - tangible or not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2