Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Chess

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Chess

Are there any chess players at ODN? Im a fairly regular, fairly decent player myself. Perhaps we could start a chess club of some sort or discuss chess theory, openings, endgame, etc.

Anyone on board?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chess

I'm not much for chess myself. I tend to like games with some element of uncertainty in them.

I always feel like in Chess, if I just work harder or think longer I can win, but I don't want to have to work that hard or think that long. There is a lot of move memorization and its not my forte. I like just enough uncertainty that you can take some risks that could turn advantage to disadvantage or go the other way around and because they limit how far you can see into the future outcome of the game, which in turns means you don't need to try to.

I'm frankly pretty bad at Chess because I don't try very hard to be good at it, but if you realliy want to play someone from ODN a couple of times, I'd give it a go for fun. If you are good you will likely stomp me.

Note:
    I once designed a game somewhere between chess and Magic the Gathering. Funny thing was, in testing it, people who liked chess hated it, and people who liked it didn't normally care for chess much. Kind of put a bullet to its head from a marketing perspective. "Hey, do you not like chess much? Try out this new chess based card game!"
    Feed me some debate pellets!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Chess certainly isn't a game they one can be impatient or unpracticed with and be good at.
    I will no longer be replying to any post from a Liberal going forward. I will continue, as normal, to discuss topics and engage in intellectual exchanges with non-leftist

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite version of chess was the Mortal Combat Chess. Featured in mortal combat deception.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEGdoktIwwA

In order to kill a piece, you had to do mortal combat.. and you know.. actually kill the piece. Stronger piece = more health. So you could overcome a disadvantage with good game play.
    My bro in law owned the game and played 24 x 7 , he was 12 after all, I only was able to get fairly decent with one player. So I picked that piece to be my pawn (I think it was Sonia Blade). Anyway, my superior chess skills allowed me to use my pawns to max effect, and I barely won. (True story)
    I apologize to anyone waiting on a response from me. I am experiencing a time warp, suddenly their are not enough hours in a day. As soon as I find a replacement part to my flux capacitor regulator, time should resume it's normal flow.

5. Likes Sigfried liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thank so much

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
    Are there any chess players at ODN? Im a fairly regular, fairly decent player myself. Perhaps we could start a chess club of some sort or discuss chess theory, openings, endgame, etc.

Anyone on board?
    A long time ago. I had a rating of about 1400 thirty years ago. So, my mind would be very rusty. What is your rating?

I transitioned to Go, but again, that was a long time ago. Have you tried that?

Peter