Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Meryl Streep is a pretentious windbag

https://www.yahoo.com/news/meryl-str...140500427.html

So, at an awards show, full of really wealthy and exorbitantly paid entertainers, she decided to go on a rant. Because, you know, when people want to get a reality check they look for aged actresses with pompous attitudes who have not seen the real world since Vietnam.

I'm not going to call her overrated or denigrate her acting skills. She typically is in films I don't watch and I cannot think of the last movie I have seen her in. Again, that is not a put-down, I just don't typically watch the genres she enjoys making. However, I do think listening to her drone on about privilege and whatever else she babbled about, is a great reason why liberals lost this election. The liberal message is so predicated on us vs. them, that if you disagree on any point, then you are a racist, xenophobe, homophobe, et al.

This is her belief:
    "Thank you, Hollywood Foreign Press. Just to pick up on what Hugh Laurie said: You and all of us in this room really belong to the most
    vilified segments in American society right now. Think about it: Hollywood, foreigners and the press."

Yes, poor foreigners sandwiched between the press and Hollywood. This is really pretty funny. I'd like to point out a few things
    1) She makes no distinction between foreigners here illegally, foreigners here illegally and committing other crimes, and foreigners who are here legally.
    2) She makes no apology for the press which was shown to be in collusion with the DNC.
    3) She generalizes Hollywood as some monolithic entity without individuality.

And this is how liberals see the world. Who, outside of the liberal elites could possibly relate to this message? Outside of California and New York, frankly, not that many. I personally hope this elitist line of thinking continues. Democrats will find themselves more and more marginalized in the realm of national politics. The Republicans have a caricature of a man leading the party. The Democrats are an entire collection of caricatures and have no leadership at all. As I heard Newt Gingrich say, they are out of ideas. They get up in the morning and just walk down the hallways of Congress or wherever moaning racist or whatever like a bunch of zombies.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meryl Streep is a pretentious windbag

Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    And this is how liberals see the world. Who, outside of the liberal elites could possibly relate to this message? Outside of California and New York, frankly, not that many. I personally hope this elitist line of thinking continues. Democrats will find themselves more and more marginalized in the realm of national politics.
    Sorry, Ibelsd I have a different view and hope – but I confess -- I’m an eternal optimist. I personally hope that this elitist line of thinking will change for some rather then continue. People can change—I’ve witnessed this time and time again. Hard, deeply embedded views can change in some people -- maybe not all, but some.

If enough people see opportunity instead of uncertainty and despair, elitist line of thinking can change. If enough of the new leadership are inspiring communicators, rally all people to a better future and hold their resolve to seeing the big picture, some elitist line of thinking can change.

It is realistic to think and hope for this? I think so. United we stand, divided we fall.
    Close your eyes. Fall in love. Stay there.
    Rumi

[Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator
    ODN Rules

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meryl Streep is a pretentious windbag

Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post

2) She makes no apology for the press which was shown to be in collusion with the DNC.
    I don't get this. Seems like a hasty generalization. Could you explain?
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.