Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Speculation regarding Barron Trump's mental condition

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.za/kare...-barron-trump/

There has been increased chatter around the way Barron Trump acts in public, and many are now speculating that he is on the autism spectrum.

I'm interested in your opinions about what this means for the Trumps, Barron, and autistic people everywhere.

If the speculation is not baseless and the boy does indeed have some type of autism, will the Trumps try to hide it?
    Will they come out and share it with the world and embrace both him and his condition as nothing to be ashamed of?

I truly hope that this situation ends positively, but I'm afraid that the public, the press, or the Trumps will not be able to handle it well.
    For one thing, Melania's legal threats have probably only increased the public's interest.

Also, what do you think about how the public and press have been reacting so far? Some have been defensive, some derisive.
    Do you think over-defensivenes helps perpetuate the stigma that autism is something bad?

Let me know what you folks think!

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speculation regarding Barron Trump's mental condition

I don't like bringing the children of politicians into the political discussion.
    Though it makes sense for a politician to be against vaccinations if his child was damaged by them.

Autism is bad BTW
    I apologize to anyone waiting on a response from me. I am experiencing a time warp, suddenly their are not enough hours in a day. As soon as I find a replacement part to my flux capacitor regulator, time should resume it's normal flow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MT View Post
    I don't like bringing the children of politicians into the political discussion.
    The outcome of this situation could have significant political and social impact, so it will naturally be discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by MT
    Though it makes sense for a politician to be against vaccinations if his child was damaged by them.
    Unless you have evidence that he was damaged by vaccines, then this statement should be "if he believes his child was damaged by them".

Autism is bad BTW
    Don't get what this has to do with the topic. Could you elaborate?

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUTURE
    The outcome of this situation could have significant political and social impact, so it will naturally be discussed.
    Outcome to what? The media talking about the Presidents kids and making them a political pawn?

Unless you have evidence that he was damaged by vaccines, then this statement should be "if he believes his child was damaged by them".
    No, my statement is as I said.
    Further, unless his son is connected to some of his policies as a driving factor.. then his kids don't matter.

Don't get what this has to do with the topic. Could you elaborate?
    Just responding to this...
    Do you think over-defensivenes helps perpetuate the stigma that autism is something bad?
    I apologize to anyone waiting on a response from me. I am experiencing a time warp, suddenly their are not enough hours in a day. As soon as I find a replacement part to my flux capacitor regulator, time should resume it's normal flow.

Post Thanks / Like

Outcome to what? The media talking about the Presidents kids and making them a political pawn?
    Sure, but also the outcome to how the Trumps will handle this situation and the public's reaction. You may not have experience with this, but there are many people who care quite a lot about how those with mental conditions/disabilities are viewed and treated in a society.
    Do you disagree that situations involving political leaders who have children/family with such conditions would have an effect on that?

No, my statement is as I said.
    Then could you provide the evidence supporting your implied statement that he was damaged by vaccines?

Further, unless his son is connected to some of his policies as a driving factor.. then his kids don't matter.
    If the boy has a condition for which special needs education is required, then he will no doubt get the very best that the Trumps can afford. However, how will that look to the public when Trump's chosen education secretary Betsy DeVos, who has already proved she doesn't understand the implications of her stated (and by extension Trump's) opinions regarding special needs education (LINK-01, LINK-02), fails to ensure special needs education is provided to those who aren't able to afford it?

Just responding to this...
    Again, not related to the topic and the question being asked.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, but also the outcome to how the Trumps will handle this situation and the public's reaction. You may not have experience with this, but there are many people who care quite a lot about how those with mental conditions/disabilities are viewed and treated in a society.
    Do you disagree that situations involving political leaders who have children/family with such conditions would have an effect on that?
    If they choose to introduce it into the conversation. Then they could effect it, but the media and others around them should not bring it up out of respect for the child's privacy.

Just because your kid has cancer or down-syndrome, doesn't mean you are automatically a spokesperson for all things related to that disability. It is both bad form, and rude for me to lift your child into the spotlight and make an issue of it.

Then could you provide the evidence supporting your implied statement that he was damaged by vaccines?
    Burden shifting. Your the one claiming he has it to begin with.. without evidence. I made a speculation on a politically relevant possibility. Specifically where it would bring discussing his child into a legitimate conversation.
    Barring that, the conversation you are trying to make is rude to say the least.

If the boy has a condition for which special needs education is required, then he will no doubt get the very best that the Trumps can afford. However, how will that look to the public when Trump's chosen education secretary Betsy DeVos, who has already proved she doesn't understand the implications of her stated (and by extension Trump's) opinions regarding special needs education (LINK-01, LINK-02), fails to ensure special needs education is provided to those who aren't able to afford it?
    I don't think I understand the question.
    But I'm pretty sure congress has a long history of putting their own kids in good private schools while the population they represent is forced to go to P.O.S. public schools.
    So, maybe complain to your hypocritical congressman? .. you know rather than attempt to politicize a politicians kid, and call him special needs when there is no evidence for it.

Again, not related to the topic and the question being asked.
    I thought it was the whole point. The socially accepted nature of autism and how it is viewed by the public.

Post Thanks / Like

Your the one claiming he has it to begin with.. without evidence.
    Please indicate where I claimed he is autistic.

I made a speculation on a politically relevant possibility. Specifically where it would bring discussing his child into a legitimate conversation.
    The speculation is only relevant if the politician believes his child was damaged by vaccines. Whether the child was actually damaged by vaccines is another thing completely, which is why I initially suggested the correction.

Barring that, the conversation you are trying to make is rude to say the least.
    Not sure I understand, and this may be a miscommunication - please explain what conversation you think I am trying to make.

rather than attempt to politicize a politicians kid, and call him special needs when there is no evidence for it.
    Again, please indicate where I made this claim. If you read my post carefully, you'll see it clearly states "If the boy has a condition".

I thought it was the whole point. The socially accepted nature of autism and how it is viewed by the public.
    The question was "Do you think over-defensiveness helps perpetuate the stigma that autism is something bad?". You replied with "Autism is bad BTW".
    Sure we can agree that autism itself is not a condition we should try to achieve with greater numbers, that's not the point. The stigma of "autism is something bad" is referring to the derision received from those who find it difficult to act in a socially acceptable manner when dealing with people who have mental conditions.
    The original question intended to ask whether being defensive about discussing someone with autism helps perpetuate that stigma.
    Think of it in simpler terms: Children sometimes indirectly learn to be derisive towards some characteristic by being specifically told to be nicer to someone with that characteristic. So in some situations it is better to try and ignore the characteristic altogether. Of course, the same point could be extended to support the argument that supporting those with special needs leads to derision.
    If you have no opinion on this then that's fine.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I will sum up my response to your above post like this.

Quote Originally Posted by op
    If the speculation is not baseless and the boy does indeed have some type of autism,
    This question inherently politicizes a politicians child in a manner which is not appropriate.
    To that I object.

A meaningful political conversation can be had about how the gov deals with injured people, and about how society treats all kinds of people, without making a political pawn out of the presidents children.

Post Thanks / Like

I will sum up my response to your above post like this.
    Since your summation does not include support for the three statements I challenged you on, then they are withdrawn.

This question inherently politicizes a politicians child in a manner which is not appropriate.
    You are merely claiming that the question inherently politicizes his child without explanation or support. How is it politicization to ask if someone thinks the Trumps will try to hide the fact that their child is autistic if he does indeed turn out to be so?

A meaningful political conversation can be had about how the gov deals with injured people, and about how society treats all kinds of people, without making a political pawn out of the presidents children.
    Again, this is irrelevant to the topic, which is simply to share our opinions on how the press, the Trumps, and the public will handle this situation. If you have none or don't wish to share them, then that's fine, but so far all you have offered is unsupported accusations that I've claimed Trump's son is autistic and that I'm politicizing him.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by future
    Again, this is irrelevant to the topic,
    I see. my opinion that about the nature of the discussion isn't what you like to hear.

Carry on then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    I see. my opinion that about the nature of the discussion isn't what you like to hear.
    I clearly stated that your comment isn't relevant to the topic and explained why. But you again demonstrate your penchant for dishonestly twisting my words in order to make a personal attack. Why do you bother responding at all if you can't do it honestly?
    A meaningful conversation could be had if your opinion about the nature of the discussion were anything more than what appear to be unsupported knee-jerk accusations.