Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

The Leprechaun's Challenge

While pulling up a piece of blackthorn root that you think would make a fine shillelagh, a glimmer of light from below the trunk catches your eye. As you investigate further, you find that there is a hidden hollow beneath the tree. Inside the hollow you find five variously sized chests each filled with gold coins. Suddenly a tiny red-bearded man dressed in green appears. “Ahh! You’ve come to steal my treasure!” He shouts. “You must think yourself pretty clever to have found my hidey-hole. Not so clever I’ll wager.” The little man snaps his fingers and suddenly a weighing scale appears at your feet. “Every genuine gold coin in this trove weighs precisely one ounce. But not all that glitters is gold, my friend,” he says with a smirk. “A false coin weighs exactly one hundredth of an ounce more or less than a true coin. All the coins in any single chest are identical. This scale will give you an accurate and precise reading. You may weigh whatever coins you like, but you may take only one reading from the scale. If you can correctly tell me the nature of coin in each chest, I’ll reward you with a bag of gold. Otherwise, I’ll put a curse on you.

What strategy can you use to pass the leprechaun’s challenge and leave with a bag of gold?