Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

I think this is a chicken and the egg sort of situation. Is it the media looking to take every conceivable opportunity to attack a political opponent, or is it the political opponent providing opportunity?

to Ibelsd's point, most of the "opportunity" provided by trump, is not really news worthy. Part of news is something being relevant to your life, and most of this stuff isn't. Our lives would not change a bit if we were not aware of Trumps tweets. Real news would be a discussion of actual ideas. That such a discussion is missing, is directly the fault of the Media and has been the case long before Trump.
    I apologize to anyone waiting on a response from me. I am experiencing a time warp, suddenly their are not enough hours in a day. As soon as I find a replacement part to my flux capacitor regulator, time should resume it's normal flow.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    Is it the media looking to take every conceivable opportunity to attack a political opponent, or is it the political opponent providing opportunity?
    This is a false dilemma since both can be independently true. Also, the press is not a political opponent per say, (once you remove the opinion and editorial components) but a part of the system of checks and balances in modern democracies.

to Ibelsd's point, most of the "opportunity" provided by trump, is not really news worthy. Part of news is something being relevant to your life, and most of this stuff isn't.
    And relevant to your life means what... the price of Dr Pepper bottles? No his tweets does not affect that.

However, in just 6 months he constantly undermines the Judiciary, the Intelligence Community, traditional allies around the world, confidence in the integrity of the American voting system, to name just those but above all: the Truth.

Can we agree to define the Truth as the act of reasoning on the basis of verifiable facts leading to sound conclusions? Does it not matter to your ordinary life -having spent so much time (like Ibelsd) on a debate site which requires evidence and sound reasoning- that under Trump we have moved into a post-truth era where evidence and facts don't matter anymore... at least, not to his deplorable base?

Take the elections for instance... Trump will not accept the overwhelming conclusion of the intelligence community (based on collected evidence) that Russia was involved in tipping the election but... he floats the idea that mass amount of illegals voted for Clinton without any evidence at all. He is undermining the confidence of the election process while resisting doing anything to prevent another instance of Russia meddling in the next election cycle. Is this not newsworthy? Does this not affect your life?

I find your position indefensible and without any nobility to be quite frank.

This Sir, is what driving bad press... not eggs nor chickens. Bad press from left AND right leaning outlets such as the National Review and the Wall Street Journal.
    Last edited by Vandaler; July 26th, 2017 at 03:14 AM.
    A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.
    - Wayne Gretzky

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3