Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1. #1
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    8,184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump...022356703.html

    the story is, that trump intends to do away with how the white house interacts with the media. instead of a regular briefing where questions are asked and answered by a representative, announcements will be released.


    ---
    the way i see it, this is the natural response to past abuse of power by the press. not in the sense that the press has been unfair to trump, but that it's coverage over the past 50 years has not been fair. the media has been in the business of promoting it's own agenda to the point of being it's own political party. this pressure was eventually going to have this kind of response from the position of president.

    this is a broad, landscape argument. along the lines of geopolitics. where one can see a void in power and predict a war or general action based on the overall pressures at work. here the media has exerted pressure on the office of presidency, and now we are getting the inevitable response to that pressure.

    now what will happen is the media is going to cry about it, the opposition party is going to cry about it -in this case the democrats- and then in 4 - 8 years the other party will be in charge, and because the expectations have changed, will not return to our past state of media relations.

    yay us, just a little bit less of the democratic republic that we need. good job everybody.
    I apologize to anyone waiting on a response from me. I am experiencing a time warp, suddenly their are not enough hours in a day. As soon as I find a replacement part to my flux capacitor regulator, time should resume it's normal flow.

  2. #2
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump...022356703.html

    the story is, that trump intends to do away with how the white house interacts with the media. instead of a regular briefing where questions are asked and answered by a representative, announcements will be released.


    ---
    the way i see it, this is the natural response to past abuse of power by the press. not in the sense that the press has been unfair to trump, but that it's coverage over the past 50 years has not been fair. the media has been in the business of promoting it's own agenda to the point of being it's own political party. this pressure was eventually going to have this kind of response from the position of president.

    this is a broad, landscape argument. along the lines of geopolitics. where one can see a void in power and predict a war or general action based on the overall pressures at work. here the media has exerted pressure on the office of presidency, and now we are getting the inevitable response to that pressure.

    now what will happen is the media is going to cry about it, the opposition party is going to cry about it -in this case the democrats- and then in 4 - 8 years the other party will be in charge, and because the expectations have changed, will not return to our past state of media relations.

    yay us, just a little bit less of the democratic republic that we need. good job everybody.
    Let's call a spade a spade and not twist this up. This change is due to Trump's inability to handle the mainstream press competently. It is not a good thing. Yes, the media is biased. It has been beyond harsh to the Trump admin. However, as President, I'd say suck it up and don't crawl into a shell. As you correctly noted, this sets a bad precedent which will be used by the next President and beyond. As goofy as the press conferences have been, the entertainment value has been great. Trump via Spicer says something. The media runs with it, goes into a hissy-fit, Trump then make a direct comment which contradicts Spicer and the media flies of the handle. It is hilarious. None of it matters. It is all a side-show at this point.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  3. Likes MindTrap028, futureboy, Squatch347 liked this post
  4. #3
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Yes, the media is biased. It has been beyond harsh to the Trump admin.
    That's a silly, unsupported argument that I'd like to see you support, but you don't have to. I assume your lumping all of the media together and not just the press, i.e. SNL.

    Looks like they are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing and Trump has no one to blame (although he continually tries) but himself. He thought, mistakenly, that he was going to run things like a business where there's so little pushback from your yes-men. Not so in government and especially not with an independent 4th estate. His own statement to the effect that it is harder than he thought it would be proves what a fool you voted for.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  5. #4
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    8,184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by IBELSD
    Let's call a spade a spade and not twist this up. This change is due to Trump's inability to handle the mainstream press competently.
    O, no you are correct. Trump admin is doing a really bad job. Indeed, one should just take their lumps, but with so many undeserved an unfair lumps being given, and the lack of an actually meaningful dialog hosted by the media, it is simply too easy to dismiss.

    In a way I think the press is getting what it deserves, because it hasn't been giving us what we deserve for so long. There is no real loss here the way things stand we can do without the theatrics anyway.
    I apologize to anyone waiting on a response from me. I am experiencing a time warp, suddenly their are not enough hours in a day. As soon as I find a replacement part to my flux capacitor regulator, time should resume it's normal flow.

  6. #5
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    O, no you are correct. Trump admin is doing a really bad job. Indeed, one should just take their lumps, but with so many undeserved an unfair lumps being given, and the lack of an actually meaningful dialog hosted by the media, it is simply too easy to dismiss.
    How do you define "undeserved"?
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  7. #6
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    8,184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by COWBOY
    How do you define "undeserved"?
    Here a good place to start with that would be any coverage that includes swear words.
    I apologize to anyone waiting on a response from me. I am experiencing a time warp, suddenly their are not enough hours in a day. As soon as I find a replacement part to my flux capacitor regulator, time should resume it's normal flow.

  8. #7
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    1,240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    That's a silly, unsupported argument that I'd like to see you support, but you don't have to. I assume your lumping all of the media together and not just the press, i.e. SNL.

    Looks like they are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing and Trump has no one to blame (although he continually tries) but himself. He thought, mistakenly, that he was going to run things like a business where there's so little pushback from your yes-men. Not so in government and especially not with an independent 4th estate. His own statement to the effect that it is harder than he thought it would be proves what a fool you voted for.
    Perhaps he didn't offer support, so I'll throw some out there.

    A few months back an Alt (Ult? I'm not hip on the new lingo) Right Loon Milo Yiannopoulos was lambasted for his remarks regarding homosexuals and the relationship between older and younger (often below the age of 18) men. His comments essentially added up to the difficulties homosexuals faced in coming to terms with their identity; and that it's not necessarily bad for an older and younger man to have a relationship. In fact, the dynamic can help the younger one grow.

    Whether or not this is true; isn't my point.

    My own opinions aside; the press vehemently attacked him for this position, again whether his opinion is right or wrong here isn't my point. Now, perhaps he is an alt-right loon, and perhaps his views are dangerous. But then why is it that when someone like Bill Maher makes a similar comment (a female teacher and a male student), nothing happens? The media isn't demanding the same action be taken against Maher?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXDrmUJvRmE

    Again, my own opinions aside here I see little difference between what Milo said, and what Bill said.

    I am willing to grant that on both sides of the isle we often see this; however it seems that recently the left has gotten the upper hand. Now, to some degree we could argue this goes back and forth. Anyone remember John Kerry and the Swift Boat Vets for Truth? I remember how heavily played that was; and at the time the right seemed to have an upper hand. I also remember it took a long time to finally discredit them; but unfortunately the damage had been done.

    Perhaps it's not a media bias; so much as it's a power shift; but it isn't baseless to say there exists a bias.

    That isn't to say what they're pointing out with Trump is wrong or un-fair. Not at all, keep pushing him; that's what the press does,
    Witty puns...

  9. #8
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    Here a good place to start with that would be any coverage that includes swear words.
    I don't get it.

    ---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilPup John View Post
    Perhaps he didn't offer support, so I'll throw some out there.

    A few months back an Alt (Ult? I'm not hip on the new lingo) Right Loon Milo Yiannopoulos was lambasted for his remarks regarding homosexuals and the relationship between older and younger (often below the age of 18) men. His comments essentially added up to the difficulties homosexuals faced in coming to terms with their identity; and that it's not necessarily bad for an older and younger man to have a relationship. In fact, the dynamic can help the younger one grow.

    Whether or not this is true; isn't my point.

    My own opinions aside; the press vehemently attacked him for this position, again whether his opinion is right or wrong here isn't my point. Now, perhaps he is an alt-right loon, and perhaps his views are dangerous. But then why is it that when someone like Bill Maher makes a similar comment (a female teacher and a male student), nothing happens? The media isn't demanding the same action be taken against Maher?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXDrmUJvRmE
    That might be a good example of a media bias I'm not up on that.

    I should have clarified that I was speaking about the comment that the media has been "beyond harsh" to Trump.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  10. #9
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    1,240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    I don't get it.

    ---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------



    That might be a good example of a media bias I'm not up on that.

    I should have clarified that I was speaking about the comment that the media has been "beyond harsh" to Trump.
    My bad, I misread what you said. Beyond hard might be a bit extreme; I do think they've been more critical than they have been with anyone else (Republican or otherwise), but I wouldn't say it's entirely unjustified, and in many cases has brought it on himself.
    Witty puns...

  11. #10
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    That's a silly, unsupported argument that I'd like to see you support, but you don't have to. I assume your lumping all of the media together and not just the press, i.e. SNL.

    Looks like they are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing and Trump has no one to blame (although he continually tries) but himself. He thought, mistakenly, that he was going to run things like a business where there's so little pushback from your yes-men. Not so in government and especially not with an independent 4th estate. His own statement to the effect that it is harder than he thought it would be proves what a fool you voted for.
    Who is more foolish? Trump the man, the man who voted for Trump, or the man who assumed I did? I didn't vote for Trump. So, either way, you are far more foolish than I am.

    I think what's silly is that I can actually comment negatively on Trump (and any other Republican) which I often do. However, I don't think I've ever read something here on ODN where you were critical of a Democrat. So, I have no problem admitting Trump is a flawed human being and politician. I pointed it out here this thread. I have pointed it out elsewhere. However, if you had an objective bone in your body, you'd acknowledge that Trump has been treated for more harshly than his predecessor. The media has shown a clear bias against Trump and the Republican party since Trump took office. Something like 80% of media coverage on Trump is negative.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...onald-trump-s/

    Trump’s coverage during his first 100 days set a new standard for negativity,” said Harvard Kennedy School of Government professor Thomas E. Patterson in the report.He added that the coverage was “negative even by the standards of today’s hypercritical press.”
    At the same time, Mr. Trump has received more press coverage in general than previous presidents. He was the topic of 41 percent of all news stories, or three times that of previous presidencies, and he was the featured speaker in 65 percent of the stories."




    ---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    That's a silly, unsupported argument that I'd like to see you support, but you don't have to. I assume your lumping all of the media together and not just the press, i.e. SNL.

    Looks like they are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing and Trump has no one to blame (although he continually tries) but himself. He thought, mistakenly, that he was going to run things like a business where there's so little pushback from your yes-men. Not so in government and especially not with an independent 4th estate. His own statement to the effect that it is harder than he thought it would be proves what a fool you voted for.
    Looking back on my original post, I find it hilarious that this is the point you targeted. Most of my post was about how Trump was doing a terrible job at managing the press and that his reaction was not good. Yet, all you apparently saw was a claim (at the time unsupported) which didn't attack him and this resulted in your immediate response. Seriously, you are nothing but the resident DNC ass monkey here at ODN. A clown. I come on here for serious and fun debate/discussion, but have to continually remind myself that your not here to engage in debate, but, rather, just act as the regurgitating watchdog for the droolers who call themselves loyal Democrats.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  12. #11
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Who is more foolish? Trump the man, the man who voted for Trump, or the man who assumed I did? I didn't vote for Trump. So, either way, you are far more foolish than I am.
    I'd bet good money you voted for him.

    ---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    I think what's silly is that I can actually comment negatively on Trump (and any other Republican) which I often do. However, I don't think I've ever read something here on ODN where you were critical of a Democrat.
    and you're wrong.

    ---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    So, I have no problem admitting Trump is a flawed human being and politician. I pointed it out here this thread. I have pointed it out elsewhere. However, if you had an objective bone in your body, you'd acknowledge that Trump has been treated for more harshly than his predecessor. The media has shown a clear bias against Trump and the Republican party since Trump took office. Something like 80% of media coverage on Trump is negative.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...onald-trump-s/

    [FONT="]“[/FONT]Trump[FONT="]’s coverage during his first 100 days set a new standard for negativity,” said Harvard Kennedy School of Government professor [/FONT]Thomas E. Patterson[FONT="] in the report.[/FONT][FONT="]He added that the coverage was “negative even by the standards of today’s hypercritical press.”[/FONT]
    [COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT="]At the same time, Mr. Trump has received more press coverage in general than previous presidents. He was the topic of 41 percent of all news stories, or three times that of previous presidencies, and he was the featured speaker in 65 percent of the stories."
    hmmm, but that's not your sides position. The president must be a man of clear morals..."character counts".

    You'll have to support that he is undeserving of any such harsh criticism.

    And does that "press coverage" include all media coverage? (I just read the article and no it's incredibly limited)
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  13. #12
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    I'd bet good money you voted for him.

    ---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------



    and you're wrong.

    ---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------



    hmmm, but that's not your sides position. The president must be a man of clear morals..."character counts".

    You'll have to support that he is undeserving of any such harsh criticism.

    And does that "press coverage" include all media coverage? (I just read the article and no it's incredibly limited)
    1) Name the price and I'll accept the bet. I love easy money. However, being called a liar is not something I appreciate.
    2) Wrong about what? I made one clear declaration about what I've done and a second declaration about what I've read. Both are true statements.
    3) Again with this "my side" nonsense. You have no idea what side I am on. I understand that in your world, everything is veiwed through a partisan lens. Please do not project that onto me. I made an argument without regard to "side" and being unable to rebut my argument, you've decided to move the goalposts. You rebutted my initial claim by saying it was unsupported. I provided support. Period. Now, either concede the argument or rebut it.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  14. #13
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    or rebut it.
    I already did.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  15. #14
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    I already did.
    Calling me a liar isn't a rebuttal per ODN standards.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  16. #15
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Calling me a liar isn't a rebuttal per ODN standards.
    Ignoring my rebuttal is lazy.

    Let's try it again this way:

    You'll have to support that he is undeserving of any such harsh criticism. [challenge]/[challenge] thingy
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  17. #16
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    Ignoring my rebuttal is lazy.

    Let's try it again this way:

    You'll have to support that he is undeserving of any such harsh criticism. [challenge]/[challenge] thingy
    Your rebuttal was a straw man. You set up an argument, not my own, and asked me defend it. I am not being lazy, just not interested. In terms of undeserving, let me ask, has the U.S. crumbled? Are we engaged in a new war? Has some event occurred which has risen to the level of crisis? No, we are pretty much in the same place we were a year ago. Same problems. Some better. Some worse. So, the idea, that we need twice as many negative articles as the previous president is certainly a sign of bias and an indication that the criticism is a tad too harsh.

    I don't expect you'll agree. I mean, you probably have a DNC tramp stamp. However, for most reasonable people, they probably agree with me.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  18. Likes MindTrap028 liked this post
  19. #17
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Your rebuttal was a straw man. You set up an argument, not my own, and asked me defend it. I am not being lazy, just not interested. In terms of undeserving, let me ask, has the U.S. crumbled? Are we engaged in a new war? Has some event occurred which has risen to the level of crisis? No, we are pretty much in the same place we were a year ago. Same problems. Some better. Some worse. So, the idea, that we need twice as many negative articles as the previous president is certainly a sign of bias and an indication that the criticism is a tad too harsh.

    I don't expect you'll agree. I mean, you probably have a DNC tramp stamp. However, for most reasonable people, they probably agree with me.
    Yeah, sure, and if Hillary had revealed the location of our nuclear submarines you'd be like, "well, she's the president and can declassify what she wants"

    Sure...you're hackish carrying of water for Trump is proof enough that you voted for him.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  20. #18
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    Ignoring my rebuttal is lazy.

    Let's try it again this way:

    You'll have to support that he is undeserving of any such harsh criticism. [challenge]/[challenge] thingy
    I'll just copy and paste from above:
    "In terms of undeserving, let me ask, has the U.S. crumbled? Are we engaged in a new war? Has some event occurred which has risen to the level of crisis? No, we are pretty much in the same place we were a year ago. Same problems. Some better. Some worse. So, the idea, that we need twice as many negative articles as the previous president is certainly a sign of bias and an indication that the criticism is a tad too harsh."
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  21. #19
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    I'll just copy and paste from above:
    "In terms of undeserving, let me ask, has the U.S. crumbled? Are we engaged in a new war? Has some event occurred which has risen to the level of crisis? No, we are pretty much in the same place we were a year ago. Same problems. Some better. Some worse. So, the idea, that we need twice as many negative articles as the previous president is certainly a sign of bias and an indication that the criticism is a tad too harsh."
    I'll just copy and paste from above:

    "Yeah, sure, and if Hillary had revealed the location of our nuclear submarines you'd be like, "well, she's the president and can declassify what she wants"

    Sure...you're hackish carrying of water for Trump is proof enough that you voted for him."

    And add it it his other blunders, missteps, miscommunications, and scandals that make the right wing media incredibly jealous...all they have is the ridiculous benghazi.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  22. #20
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mind trapped by - Trump vs Media

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    I'll just copy and paste from above:

    "Yeah, sure, and if Hillary had revealed the location of our nuclear submarines you'd be like, "well, she's the president and can declassify what she wants"

    Sure...you're hackish carrying of water for Trump is proof enough that you voted for him."

    And add it it his other blunders, missteps, miscommunications, and scandals that make the right wing media incredibly jealous...all they have is the ridiculous benghazi.
    I guess you cannot really answer my question, so I'll accept your concession. Have a great day.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mind Trapped by : Trump vs Hillary
    By MindTrap028 in forum Politics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: October 15th, 2016, 10:24 PM
  2. Mind Trapped by: Benghazi, Obama, and the media.
    By MindTrap028 in forum Politics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: May 21st, 2013, 05:21 PM
  3. Mind Trapped by: Marathon Bombing and the media coverage
    By MindTrap028 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 20th, 2013, 04:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •