Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Slavery and the bible as a moral guide

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    No worries, but just to clarify my point, all of the 33 or so examples I gave applied to non-hebrews born in to slavery.

We are discussing the Old Testament in particular, which is establishing the laws and rules of Israel. It sets up law courts and tribunals to adjudicate disputes or claims arising under biblical law. If, for example, I was a non-Hebrew slave and you had me pull a heavy cart, I had the right to appeal to a Rabbinical Court for redress under the law established in the Torah.
    (I just don't have time to respond to your whole post, so please take my short posts when I can)

That "laws and courts were established" using the Bible is fine, but this Op is "the Bible". Not what a slave could argue in court (if he survived to go to court). We are discussing the Bible as a guide, not how it was used.