Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Can a true Christian believer get punished for sin?

It is my understanding that Christianity (New Testament doctrine?) says the following:

1) All people are sinners.

2) All sinners are "damned" for eternity. They will be punished by being thrown into a lake of eternal hellfire.

3) However... if you believe that Jesus died on the cross for your sins and accept him as lord and savior, you are forgiven all of your sins. The blood of Jesus fully atones for you.

(BTW: I have written #1-#3 without proof citations because I thought it is a recitation of the obvious. If I am wrong, or this post needs the verses, I would be happy if someone helps me edit etc.)

So, is it right to conclude that a true believing Christian, cannot be punished for sin?

Is that the case in this world and the next world?

If it is not, and Christians are still being punished for sin, then what was the use of the sacrifice of Jesus?

If you will say that Christians are not punished once they believe and accept according to #3 above, then how do we account for any mention in Scripture about a believing Christian being punished for sin?

If you will say that Christians are still punished in this world (this lifetime) for sin, but are immune once they die and reach heaven, then a) Please prove that from Scripture. b) Why wouldn't the death of Christ atone for mumps if it can atone for eternal fire? c) What need could there be to punish a sinner who is eternally cleansed in the first place?
    An idealist is willing to suffer for what they believe in.

A fanatic is willing to make others suffer for what they believe in.