Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Theistic beliefs are not rationally justified

Quote Originally Posted by BELTHAZOR
    I think so. I didn't mention oceans nor many land areas that are unable to sustain humans
    Sorry, I retract that line of argument.
    Would you mind running your point by me again?

This makes no sense? How is a world that is "made for humans" = to a world where humans can defy normal physical laws, or IOW, do pretty much anything (defy gravity/"climb up walls")?
    Sorry that may have had a wrong understanding of your point wrapped up into it.
    I'll retract it for now, and let you explain your point again.
    However, this is only true cause God picked those particular values right? God could have made gravity (or anything else) with different values when He created the universe and that % of matter you refer to wouldn't matter at all. So things we will never be able to see would not matter at all in this "painting". You are trying to play both sides of the court:
    "God can do anything, but must work in the lines of our understanding of physical law type of thinking when God made the laws".
    IOW, God could have made the universe work with 90% more matter or 90% less and we would still be here. Just change the laws of physics, after all, it is His, and His choice alone what the values are, right?
    Right but the form of the argument wouldn't change. Your arguing if reality were different kind of thing.
    Certainly if reality was different things would have been different.
    However the answer to your question was simple. It doesn't have to have theological implications added to be sufficient.. yes?

However, this is only true cause God picked those particular values right? God could have made gravity (or anything else) with different values when He created the universe and that % of matter you refer to wouldn't matter at all. So things we will never be able to see would not matter at all in this "painting". You are trying to play both sides of the court:
    "God can do anything, but must work in the lines of our understanding of physical law type of thinking when God made the laws".
    IOW, God could have made the universe work with 90% more matter or 90% less and we would still be here. Just change the laws of physics, after all, it is His, and His choice alone what the values are, right?
    Well, I certainly have no idea what hidden consequences could be the result of tweaking the fundamental forces of nature. if they are all logically possible, or whatever.
    But again, the question of why so much space, and the answer was to have a view.
    the follow up was why so much we can't see, and the answer is given the current state of the universe that is what it takes for it to exist.

Maybe if things were different it would require less.. I really don't know and plead ignorance. But I think the questions were answered pretty reasonable and I think you are kinda there too.
    So, moving on?
    To serve man.