Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Political Consistency

There has been a trend of late (well not really of late, but we act like it is a new revelation) to really consider policies soley based on which group has put them forward. You can see this in the frequently used trope of posting videos usually (but not exclusively) of young liberal college students being asked if they support Republican position X, but telling them that Senate Democrats put it forward.

I want to start a thread where we can exercise our ability to shake such team politics. I started it here because this isn't about defending your view on a certain position and I don't think this should devolve into a debate about policy y being terrible.

So, how does it work? Well, pick the side where your natural sympathies lie. I think you are all know where that is given your posting (Ibelsd is exempt from this since he hates everything, I'll give him specific instructions below). Then:

If you are traditionally a Republican or are a Trump supporter: Name something good the Obama administration enacted. And name a policy mistake the Trump administration has pushed/enacted.

If you are traditionally a Democrat or were an Obama supporter: Name a policy you were critical of that the Obama administration supported. Name a positive policy the Trump administration has pushed/enacted.

Ibelsd: You are required ;-) to put forward a positive policy position for both administrations.

It will be tempting to do an end run around the criticism requirement by saying "he didn't do enough of X," but lets avoid that. Let's limit that section to "he did X, he should not have done X."

I'll start. I didn't vote for Mr. Trump, but traditionally I am closer to a Republican than a Democrat.

The Obama administration essentially ended civil asset forfeiture (the policy of seizing assets without a trial) by ending federal profit sharing, decreasing the DOJ and FBI's reliance on it, and supporting states that passed laws against it. It is disappointing to see the Trump administration reverse this. The Obama administration recognized that this was a relatively odd scenario in the law and has been massively misused by law enforcement around the country.

The Trump administration has been pushing the perrenial "infrastructure bill" and seems to be getting headway. The needs are, at best, dubious, and the spending is poorly financed. This has all the hallmarks of another boondoggle that will build unnecessary infrastruture, not finance repairs (the basis for pushing the bill), and ignores the lack of real need for either.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.Ē -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Political Consistency

Huh, that's disappointing.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.Ē -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Post Thanks / Like

Iím not so much pro Democratic as anti Republican but Iíll bite.

The D currently have zero power. They squandered what moral high ground they had when they engineered and cheated Sanders in the last election. Now wholly powerless they have no real platform to attract young people. Theyíre just as terrible as the Rís were during the Obama years with the over demonizing of Trump. Still, some of this is vengeance and itís kinda fun seeing the Rís defend Trump even as theyíd rather have someone else.

I wrote a whole thread about Trump. I think our institutions are still strong enough against him but we will see. He will likely not be able to do as much damage as people fear.

Itís a little hard to see what actual good Trump has actually done. Which is what makes this such a hard question. Even the Rís in the house and senate arenít really challenging his much so itís hard to find anything really good to say there either.

Itíll be nice to see a decent infrastructure bill get passed but the Ds might get in the way of that too.

Maybe ask this question in a yearís time?

4. Thanks Squatch347 thanked for this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking hard on this one. Here's what I came up with. I liked that Obama looked and acted "Presidential". But I can't think of any policies or actions he took that I agreed with. And the reverse with Trump. I don't like the way he behaves, but I think I support every policy step he's actually taken, though some were poorly executed. (I don't know enough about the "infrastructure bill" to have an opinion either way.)

This thread and others in Shoot'in the Breeze may get more participation if they showed up as "Recent Threads" on the Home Page.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

6. Thanks Squatch347 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    If you are traditionally a Republican or are a Trump supporter: Name something good the Obama administration enacted. And name a policy mistake the Trump administration has pushed/enacted.
    I am probably closer to libertarian, but just so I can play too

I would lean democrat if they currently had a platform nearing JFK.
    I would lean republican if they would lean Reagan.

Bill Clinton -
    loved his welfare reform support
    HATED we "got" hillary in the process!!

Reagan -
    loved the way he could unite people thru humor and (common sense)!! NO other politician even comes close in this respect!
    hated the way he gave us Bush.

Bill Clinton -
    loved balanced budgets (not all to his credit though I guess...).
    HATED we got hillary as part of the deal!!

GW Bush
    loved ................(crickets.....). I really don't remember anything he did I liked...
    hated he was so liberal !!
    (but the liberals hated him because...???...why was that again. his massive expansion of gov't, like the dept of "education" maybe???)

Special mention:
    Bill Clinton-
    HATED we got hillary in the process!!