Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gun Control and your stance

Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    Well, if you are dropping your argument that 2A is irrelevant, then you certainly have no need to discuss whether a scenario may occur in the future where 2As rights are relevant. And in that case I would have no need to argue that the scenario is possible, so I would retract it (by not repeating it).

So assuming you do want me to retract it and you want to move on to something else, you just need to retract that position that 2A is irrelevant.

And really, you've made LOTS of arguments that don't require 2A being irrelevant to be valid (along the lines of even if there might be a scenario where 2A is relevant, the numbers of deaths that occur by continuing to have 2A outweigh it).

So it's up to you if it's retracted and if we move on.
    No. If you wonít remove it out of play then it is still in play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SharmaK View Post
    No. If you won’t remove it out of play then it is still in play.
    right. So it's not retracted.

Which is not to say that you can't move the debate to an issue where whether it's supported or not is not relevant and take it out of play that way.

Again, if you have arguments that don't rely on 2A being irrelevant, then whether my scenario is valid or not doesn't matter. So it's not retracted but that doesn't matter.

Post Thanks / Like

right. So it's not retracted.

Which is not to say that you can't move the debate to an issue where whether it's supported or not is not relevant and take it out of play that way.

Again, if you have arguments that don't rely on 2A being irrelevant, then whether my scenario is valid or not doesn't matter. So it's not retracted but that doesn't matter.
    Of course it matters. For several reasons:

1. Your scenarios are no different from what is typically used to support 2A.
    2. None of them are plausible, which youíre claiming.
    3. Your scenarios donít qualify to be detailed enough to examine for general understanding, never mind whether theyíre possible or plausible or probable.
    4. If you donít supply further information as to what your scenario is then it is impossible to move forward.
    5. You refuse to supply information even when asked directly for fear of having to invent more stuff, so you really donít have those details to begin with.

I have to conclude that if you donít have a scenario that you can readily discuss and examine for plausibility and possibility then they have to be taken out of play.

I certainly canít force you to accept this and I wonít ask for moderator support. This is between me and you; debater to debater; man to woman. But the next move has to be either you provide some plausibility around your tyrant or you drop the scenario and we move onto the next scenario.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Of course it matters. For several reasons:

1. Your scenarios are no different from what is typically used to support 2A.
    2. None of them are plausible, which you’re claiming.
    I Challenge to support a claim. you to SUPPORT OR RETRACT that my scenario is not plausible.

3. Your scenarios don’t qualify to be detailed enough to examine for general understanding
    I Challenge to support a claim. you to SUPPORT OR RETRACT that my scenario is not detailed enough to examine for general understanding.

4. If you don’t supply further information as to what your scenario is then it is impossible to move forward.
    I Challenge to support a claim. you to SUPPORT OR RETRACT that it's impossible to move forward if I don't supply further information. To me it just sounds like a choice on your part to not move forward unless I provide more information.

5. You refuse to supply information even when asked directly for fear of having to invent more stuff, so you really don’t have those details to begin with.
    And I won't even bothering challenging you on that one since you obviously cannot support that. You would have to read my mind to know my motivation and I know that if you could read my mind, you would find out that you are incorrect on that.

I have to conclude that if you don’t have a scenario that you can readily discuss and examine for plausibility and possibility then they have to be taken out of play.
    Again, with your concluding...

It's completely your choice on whether you CHOOSE to challenge my argument. If you choose not to, for whatever reason you care to forward, then my argument remains unchallenged and as long as I forward it, it's still in play.

I certainly can’t force you to accept this and I won’t ask for moderator support. This is between me and you; debater to debater; man to woman. But the next move has to be either you provide some plausibility around your tyrant or you drop the scenario and we move onto the next scenario.
    There's a third option.

You drop your argument that 2A is irrelevant and move on to the next scenario. And if you do that, then my arguments become irrelevant and I will likely have no need to forward them further.

So we have three options
    1. You drop your 2A argument (which of course is totally up to you)
    2. I drop my 2A argument (which of course is totally up to me)
    3. Neither of us drop our arguments and this continues.

I'll tell you right now that option 2 is not going to happen so it's either 1 or 3. So it's your choice. 1 or 3. Either is fine with me.

And feel free to ask for moderator support if you want.

Also, I'm male, not female.

Post Thanks / Like

Gun Control and your stance

I Challenge to support a claim. you to SUPPORT OR RETRACT that my scenario is not plausible.
    Actually, that is a claim you made, so itís your burden to support it.
    I Challenge to support a claim. you to SUPPORT OR RETRACT that your scenario is not plausible.

I Challenge to support a claim. you to SUPPORT OR RETRACT that my scenario is not detailed enough to examine for general understanding.
    I already have done - I donít understand how what your tyrant actually did to be accused of being a tyrant. As there are an infinite number of scenarios of tyrant, of which I gave one impossible scenario, I donít know if scenario is one of those or some, as yet unknown, one.

I Challenge to support a claim. you to SUPPORT OR RETRACT that it's impossible to move forward if I don't supply further information. To me it just sounds like a choice on your part to not move forward unless I provide more information.
    Well, really, the burden is on you since, you made the last claim that your scenario is plausible.

So I Challenge to support a claim. you to SUPPORT OR RETRACT that your tyrant is possible.

Again, with your concluding...

It's completely your choice on whether you CHOOSE to challenge my argument. If you choose not to, for whatever reason you care to forward, then my argument remains unchallenged and as long as I forward it, it's still in play.
    Well, you were the last to claim that your scenario is plausible so you need to demonstrate that per the challenge above. Or retract it. Either way.

There's a third option.

You drop your argument that 2A is irrelevant and move on to the next scenario. And if you do that, then my arguments become irrelevant and I will likely have no need to forward them further.

So we have three options
    1. You drop your 2A argument (which of course is totally up to you)
    2. I drop my 2A argument (which of course is totally up to me)
    3. Neither of us drop our arguments and this continues.

I'll tell you right now that option 2 is not going to happen so it's either 1 or 3. So it's your choice. 1 or 3. Either is fine with me.
    I choose 3.

And feel free to ask for moderator support if you want.
    Thereís no point - you have actively refused to provide information asked for. I donít see how a mod can compel you to do so since they will likely have to kick in a lot as you all the time.

You should only do so because you feel you want to move the debate forward in a fair manner where we can see what each other has. Instead, youíve spent almost two weeks avoiding that. So I guess weíre at an impasse.

Also, I'm male, not female.
    Wut?
    Last edited by SharmaK; May 17th, 2018 at 04:34 AM.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, that is a claim you made, so it’s your burden to support it.
    I Challenge to support a claim. you to SUPPORT OR RETRACT that your scenario is not plausible.
    Actually, I never made a claim about its plausibility either way. I argued, and supported, that it's possible.

But anyway, you have been challenged to support that it's not plausible.

Per the rules, you now cannot claim that it's not plausible without supporting that it's not plausible.

When you see me claim that it's plausible (like I actually say "it's plausible") THEN you can challenge me on that.

I already have done - I don’t understand how what your tyrant actually did to be accused of being a tyrant.
    But then just saying that you don't understand is not the basis for support. There needs to be some objective, or agreed-upon, standard for when enough detail has been given before one can make a supported case that the current amount of detail is insufficient.

So okay, you THINK that not enough detail has been given. Your opinion is noted.

If you are going to claim that insufficient detail has been given, you will need to support that with something other than your opinion.

And if you refuse to address the plausibility/possibility of my scenario on the basis that you think that I've not given you enough to work with, then you have no basis to claim that it's implausible or impossible. and should move on from trying to make a case that you don't think you are capable of making.

I choose 3.
    Fine. So it's your CHOICE to continue with this.

There’s no point - you have actively refused to provide information asked for. I don’t see how a mod can compel you to do so since they will likely have to kick in a lot as you all the time.
    If per the rules I am required to provide information, then the moderators will rule that I must. But of course they won't rule that because I have no obligation to provide such information. It's nothing more than a personal request from you which I am declining. You asked. I said no. So go from there instead of wasting your time trying to get me to do it.

You should only do so because you feel you want to move the debate forward in a fair manner where we can see what each other has.
    If I thought it would actually move the debate forward, I would give you the information.

Again, IF the issue is that there are a FINITE (let me emphasize that word again FINITE) number of details that you need in order the move forward, I would probably give them. But since you refuse to tell me what FINITE details you need, I have to assume that giving any details will just lead to request for more details and more after that and so on. And therefore giving you any details will not move the debate forward.

And you can easily show me that you need a FINITE number of details by asking me for those specific details and agreeing that you won't need any more.

To be clear, I have no obligation to provide you with further details but am willing to once you tell me SPECIFICALLY THE FINITE DETAILS THAT YOU NEED. So it's up to you if we move forward.

Instead, you’ve spent almost two weeks avoiding that. So I guess we’re at an impasse.
    You've been avoiding asking for the finite and specific details that you need, yes.

Wut?
    You've referred to me a "lady" and "woman". I'm a man. Just clearing that up.
    Last edited by mican333; May 17th, 2018 at 09:15 AM.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an example of why good people should be allowed to carry guns. This guy is leaving work and gets attacked by a masked man with a wooden post and scissors. He might well be dead, except that he had a handgun and was able to defend himself.

Logic should tell you that if he hadn't had a gun, the attacker would have been successful in the attack (and subsequent robbery) and would have repeated the behavior against many future victims. So the fact that the victim had a gun saved not only himself, but probably a lot of other people.

Now multiply that by uncountable similar situations across the country that happen every year, and the greater number of uncountable would-be attackers who don't take the risk of breaking into a home or robbing a business because someone inside might have a gun.

An employee closing up shop at a Little Caesars restaurant in Florida on Saturday night shot and killed a man in a clown mask after he was attacked with a wooden post, according to authorities.

Police in Holly Hill, Florida, said the employee exited the back door of the pizza place just before midnight when a man in a grotesque clown mask jumped him with a wooden post. According to the police report, the post broke over the man's back, upon which the attacker tried to stab the employee with a pair of scissors.

The victim responded by pulling out his concealed firearm and firing "four or five shots" at the attacker, according to the police report. When authorities responded, the attacker was found lying in the parking lot with the mask still on and scissors by his body, police said. https://abcnews.go.com/US/caesars-em...ry?id=55483144
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

8. Likes MindTrap028 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

OK and I have other examples, e.g. Vegas, where there were hundreds of people, some of whom probably had a gun, but werenít able to do anything. I doubt that there are enough examples of ďa good guy with a gunĒ to outweigh the number of people that have been killed. Those situations are so rare that they nearly always make it to the news.

Anyway, with the NRA hopefully on its last legs, perhaps its time to change the constitution to be more sensible.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Those situations are so rare that they nearly always make it to the news.
    An unsupported claim. I could just as easily and more reasonably say that there would be far more home invasion robberies and murders if bad people didn't have to worry about good people having guns in their homes for self defense.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    An unsupported claim. I could just as easily and more reasonably say that there would be far more home invasion robberies and murders if bad people didn't have to worry about good people having guns in their homes for self defense.
    Itís not unsupported because gun supporters ALWAYS point out those rare occurrences when they make the news! Such as yourself for instance.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9