Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Supernatural?

Threaded View

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Supernatural?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
    Why is there a need to support that with which we both agree?

OTOH, if you disagree with the contention that only evidence makes a possibly true proposition probable, then just say that you don't agree with it and we can talk about it.
    I will re-post my last post with the addition that I disagree.

As far as the probability that p is true goes, it doesn't matter that the "amount of evidence" for p is the same as the "amount of evidence" for ~p if there is no evidence for either p or ~p.

The only thing that gives a proposition a probability of truth is evidence. If there is no evidence whatsoever that p is true, then no probability that p is true can be formulated.
    I disagree that if there is no evidence whatsoever that p is true, then no probability that p is true can be formulated. So please support this assertion.

If I've got that wrong and you actually believe that something other than evidence can give a proposition a probability of being true, then please state what this other, non-evidence thing is.
    My logic chain supports that NO evidence for p and -p can be used to make a valid logical guess at 50/50 and you have not shown any flaw in the logic chain. Both of your attacks on Premise 2 seemed to be based on misstating or misunderstanding what it says.

So again, I forward the logic chain for my support that no evidence can be used for estimation.

1. If the amount of evidence for or against X being true is equal, then the most logical conclusion regarding the probability of X being true is 50/50
    2. If there is no evidence that X is true and there is no evidence that X is not true, then the amount of evidence for or against X being true is equal.
    3. Therefore if there is no evidence that X is true and there is no evidence that X is not true, then the most logical conclusion regarding the probability of X being true is 50/50.

And please note that the chain counts as support so not only have a stated a position regarding no evidence and probability but I have also supported it and therefore it should be accepted until you can show a valid flaw in the logic chain.
    Last edited by mican333; June 11th, 2018 at 06:22 PM.