Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

The Gender Pay Gap: convince me

I am on the fence when it comes to the gender pay gap. I honestly could go either way on it. I've read convincing arguments on both sides.

To define what we're talking about, the gender pay gap is the idea that women make only a fraction of what men make doing the same jobs. Often, the figure is touted as 75%. Moreover, the gender pay gap insists (and this bit is important) that the gap is from some nefarious reason such as bigotry or discrimination.

I've seen studies where stem scientists were given identical applications save for the name (male vs female) and universally chose to give the female applications less pay.

I've read articles from women in reputable magazines (like Forbes) that insist the gender wage gap exists, but there's nothing nefarious about it. They insist the pay gap can be explained by the choices women make. To greatly simplify/paraphrase, if John and Sally both earn $25.00 an hour and John works for 4 hours, but Sally chooses to go home after 3 hours then John will have $100 whereas Sally only has $75.

So which is it, ODN? Convince me one way or the other. Make sure you bring facts and support without linkwarzing.