Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Republicans - masters of the made up nonsense investigation - Spygate

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/23/polit...ils/index.html

"How cocktail party chatter led a Trump ally to claim a 'deep state' conspiracy

A seemingly impromptu suggestion at a cocktail party in 2016 -- that Hillary Clinton's deleted emails were circulating among the intelligence community and the Trump campaign might be able to get hold of them -- has irked former Trump campaign adviser Michael Caputo for years, he said.

Now, Caputo believes the mention of those emails by a government contractor -- and that person's advice that the Trump campaign pursue sources in the US intelligence community for opposition research on Clinton -- was part of a government conspiracy to entrap members of the Trump campaign."

From the contractor:

"This is insanity."

"I made no offer. I did not entice these people. I just made a cocktail party statement that is now conflated into 'I am a spy,'" the contractor said.

"There's a lot of DNI and NSA lower level folks that may be open to 'leaking' a copy. Maybe even FBI. Just a thought," the contractor said in mid-May, adding, "The Clinton Global Initiative emails are not 'classified'. So no issue there."

"Breitbart article today claiming the NSA has all of Hillary's emails -- including the 'deleted' ones concerning her quid pro quo when SecState for her family foundation. Suggest Trump people comb the contractors in Annapolis Junction -- suspect you'll get a friendly ear there by some with copies to give."
    The contractor reiterated that they aren't classified, "so no legal issues to make public once received."

"This is just really, really overblown," the contractor told CNN. "I made no offer. I had no possession. I said, 'Do your own math here.'"

As it stands its a case of gossip and hearsay:

"The contractor recounted hearing about the emails in the first place, which took place during a meeting with a business contact near the Fort Meade military compound in Maryland.
    The contractor expressed incredulity that the government had not recovered Clinton's deleted emails, saying something like "You've got to be kidding me that you guys can't find these emails," the contractor recalled.
    The business contact "basically alluded to me, yeah, and they're even worse than you guys think," the contractor said."

In this thread I will be looking for evidence that this contractor was indeed an operative and/or that the conspired purpose of his operation was to entrap members of the Trump campaign.

Conspiracy theories and speculation are what Caputo and the President are spewing so they have no place in this thread. They will we ignored and I will ask that the moderators delete them.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Republicans - masters of the made up nonsense investigation - Spygate

Why should anyone believe a guy who is accused of being a spy, denies it, but refuses to be identified in a news story about him? Isn't that exactly what a spy would do, in an effort to avoid being outed?
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the accusation is that he might be an agent working to entrap them.

That is possible, so ya, they might be an agent. But as you say, that's about as far as it goes. No evidence particularly for or against. He could simply be an ally who thinks he had an angle that might be helpful to them.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    Well, the accusation is that he might be an agent working to entrap them.

That is possible, so ya, they might be an agent. But as you say, that's about as far as it goes. No evidence particularly for or against. He could simply be an ally who thinks he had an angle that might be helpful to them.
    There would be evidence for the lack of which would be against. So far there has been none for presented here.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    There would be evidence for the lack of which would be against. So far there has been none for presented here.
    No, a person could well be a spy even if there is no evidence to point to them being a spy. Indeed, a good spy makes it so that there is little to no evidence indicating they are a spy. What you put forward is an Argument from Ignorance falacy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

The truth is, you don't know. He could be a spy, he could not be a spy. Without strong evidence one way or the other you don't know.

You can make an inductive argument about the likelihood he is a spy, and make the case that since most people are not spies, the likelihood he is a spy is small unless there is specific evidence supporting that he is.

There is an argument to be made that if his behavior is indicative of the behavior a spy would have, then there is an increased chance he is a spy.

Because of the limited evidence, we have to use our own judgment to decide whether it is likely or unlikely. I deem it unlikely, but I would not rule it out entirely.

I think the strongest evidence against is the statements by congressmen that have viewed confidential information on the matter. Their statements do not gell with the notion he was a spy. That and Trump's pseudo backpedaling claiming that he's using a very vernacular version of the word Spy. AKA anyone who might have collected any information in a covert manner. As opposed to the more specific term of a paid plant who's primary mission is to collect information in a covert manner.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    No, a person could well be a spy even if there is no evidence to point to them being a spy.
    Taking the OP at its most obtuse that might be possible, he could be a single actor..."I'm going to be a spy today".

But that's not what the theory put forth in the OP or since is that he "was part of a government conspiracy to entrap members of the Trump campaign".

There is no need to attempt to shift the burden of proof, it rests entirely with the accusers.

7. Thanks Sigfried thanked for this post