Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Democrats - masters of the made up nonsense investigation - RussiaGate

In this thread I will be looking for evidence that Trump colluded with Russia to illegally steal the 2016 presidential election, as Democrats and the liberal media have been claiming for more than a year.

Anyone?

Anyone?

There is no evidence.
    Last edited by evensaul; May 24th, 2018 at 10:14 AM.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Democrats - masters of the made up nonsense investigation - RussiaGate

Not just Democrats, Even - last I heard nearly half of the Republican party was in favour of the investigation.
    You need to update the title to "Democrats, liberal media, and a large portion of the Republican party" - but that would defeat the purpose of your thread as a snide response to CowboyX.

In any case, this really shouldn't be in the Debate Forum, since there's no argument being forwarded.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Just for you, boy, I added a four word sentence to the op to forward an argument.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    There is no evidence.
    First, are you claiming that there was no collusion, or simply expressing your interpretation of an ongoing investigation?
    Second, are you aware of the requirements for an investigation like this to even be seriously considered by the various agencies involved, let alone actually undertaken?
    Third, are you aware that the investigation has already resulted in numerous guilty please and criminal indictments?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by futureboy View Post
    First, are you claiming that there was no collusion, or simply expressing your interpretation of an ongoing investigation?
    Second, are you aware of the requirements for an investigation like this to even be seriously considered by the various agencies involved, let alone actually undertaken?
    Third, are you aware that the investigation has already resulted in numerous guilty please and criminal indictments?
    Enlighten me.

In the mean time, you might also read the House Intelligence Committee final report that found NO EVIDENCE of collusion between Trump and Russia:

https://docs.house.gov/meetings/IG/I...-1_1-p1-U3.pdf

It's kind of long, so here is a summary:

There is no evidence that Trump specifically, or even any members of his campaign, colluded with Moscow to break any election laws. There was no evidence of vote tampering. No evidence of hacking election voting machines or ballots or any other part of the election. No evidence of any illegal hacking performed by or with the knowledge of Trump or campaign officials. There IS NO EVIDENCE.

Maybe Trump's staff were naive or even incompetent in some ways by taking meetings with questionable people, but there is absolutely no evidence they did anything illegal.

But because Putin and the CLINTON campaign managed to convince intelligence agencies that there may have been illegal activities, or that Trump might be susceptible to blackmail over an invented episode in a Moscow hotel, Obama's administration, through the intelligence agencies, began spying on the opposing candidate and his political staff. THAT is the real scandal.

Post Thanks / Like

In the mean time, you might also read the House Intelligence Committee final report that found NO EVIDENCE of collusion between Trump and Russia
    Wow, a committee headed by avid Trump-supporter Nunes released a heavily-redacted and already widely-criticized report exonerating (though not really) Trump? Impossible!
    But I guess that settles it for you, right? The fact that they found no evidence means there literally is no evidence, and whatever Mueller is (still in the process of) doing is completely made up.

But because Putin and the CLINTON campaign managed to convince intelligence agencies that there may have been illegal activities, or that Trump might be susceptible to blackmail over an invented episode in a Moscow hotel, Obama's administration, through the intelligence agencies, began spying on the opposing candidate and his political staff. THAT is the real scandal.
    Yes, we'll see how the "real scandal" plays out after the real investigation, which has already resulted in convictions and indictments, plays out.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, a committee headed by avid Trump-supporter Nunes released a heavily-redacted and already widely-criticized report exonerating (though not really) Trump? Impossible!
    But I guess that settles it for you, right? The fact that they found no evidence means there literally is no evidence, and whatever Mueller is (still in the process of) doing is completely made up.
    This is not a refutation, at all. You've offered no evidence. None. But that is exactly what I expected.

Yes, we'll see how the "real scandal" plays out after the real investigation, which has already resulted in convictions and indictments, plays out.
    Again no evidence against Trump or anyone else regarding "collusion with Russia". None. Zero. NADA!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

There is something of a strawman here, or a sort of Half-Strawman.

Officially
    The investigation was never "Trump colluded with the Russians" It was whether members of the Trump campaign colluded with the Russians. While that could include Trump, from what we know, he was not personally the primary focus of the investigation.

Other members of his campaign however were and not shockingly, that's where the indictments have been made so far, among the campaign staff. So far, they have not proven collusion there either, instead, they uncovered a number of financial crimes in the course of the investigation. Other indictments are against foreign nationals.

So the straw man is that officially, this was never an effort to prove Trump colluded with Russians. Therefore demanding evidence that this is shown is demanding evidence for something that was never specifically claimed.

Unofficially
    Of course, there are people who suspect Trump of collusion, but you are correct in that there is no strong evidence saying he did. I suspect he did not. I think it's possible he did violate a law or two, but only because he isn't very careful about such things and has a long history of doing shady deals. Not nefarious exactly, just without much concern for if they are strictly ethical or legal. That said, I don't think any of them will be significant enough to impeach him or indict him.

So it's fair to ask people who think he colluded to show you their support for that, but it's not really fair to ask that of the FBI (or their apologists) since that was never a claim put forward.

What I think
    There is very strong evidence Russia did meddle in the election, nearly everyone who is honest about it admits this is well established. It is also agreed all around that this is not legal.
    Whether Putin directed it specifically is much harder to prove. It is reasonable, he is the former head of the KGB after all. So he probably has some say in what Russian intelligence gets up to.
    There is strong evidence that some of Trump's aids in the campaign had strong Russian connections and participated in illegal financial transactions. Others in very suspect transactions but not strictly illegal.
    The preponderance of the evidence shows that the preponderance of interference was anti-Hillary. A bit less than it was pro trump.
    There is no evidence that strongly supports the notion that the interference changed the outcome of the election, it is possible, but not very likely.

I do not think that there was coordination between the Trump campaign and the Russians meddling in the election. Nor is there yet strong evidence to show there was.
    We know meddling happend, we know there were strong Russian connections, but we don't know that any kind of deal was struck or coordination happened. And I suspect there wasn't.

That doesn't mean there wasn't cause to investigate. We knew there was a crime. We knew certain people were connected to the perpetrators of that crime in meaningful ways. What we didn't know is if there was coordination, and that is what the investigation set out to discover. So far, it has not shown any, but it is not finished just yet.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    There is something of a strawman here, or a sort of Half-Strawman.

Officially
    The investigation was never "Trump colluded with the Russians" It was whether members of the Trump campaign colluded with the Russians. While that could include Trump, from what we know, he was not personally the primary focus of the investigation.
    While I appreciate your reply, I think the only straw man here is yours, Sig. I never said or implied that the official investigation by the FBI (or the House committee) was about whether Trump colluded with Russians. The headline of this thread and my argument, is that Democrats and their lackeys in the media have worked very hard to make the public think that there was collusion, and to make average Joe think that the investigations are about the supposed collusion. And I think that claim is self-evidently true to anyone watching the news for the past year.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Btw, this is an Argument to the Future fallacy. A natural effort, though, because without it you've got nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Btw, this is an Argument to the Future fallacy. A natural effort, though, because without it you've got nothing.
    No, it's a valid approach to the whole mess - let's just wait and see, instead of making snide and pointless threads on ODN.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

No, it's a valid approach to the whole mess - let's just wait and see, instead of making snide and pointless threads on ODN.
    If you feel that way, you are very welcome to not participate, boy. It's real easy. When you see a thread headline you don't like, just move on to the next one. Or maybe, here's a tougher one, start your own thread on a subject you think isn't pointless, more often than once every six months, instead of making snide comments on threads you don't see a point.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

In this thread I will be looking for evidence that Trump colluded with Russia to illegally steal the 2016 presidential election, as Democrats and the liberal media have been claiming for more than a year.

Anyone?

Anyone?

There is no evidence.
    This seems to be engaging in the argument from ignorance fallacy.

You can't use your lack of knowledge of evidence as the basis for your claim that there is no evidence.

Obviously the Mueller investigation is keeping a lot of what it knows secret. So whether they have, or in the future will have, strong evidence of Trump colluding with Russia is simply not known by common people like you and me.

So the fact is you don't know if there's evidence or not. If you are going to claim that you do know there is no evidence, you will need to support that assertion.

---------------------------

And beyond that, even if when all is said and done, it turns out that Trump did not collude, it's plainly ridiculous to say that the Russia investigation is a "made up nonsense investigation" cooked up by the Democrats. It's pretty much the consensus of the US Intelligence community that Russia did interfere with our election which is a serious issue and should be investigated. Do you disagree with me on that?
    Last edited by mican333; May 24th, 2018 at 03:33 PM.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Okay nitpicker Mican, the Democrats and media who promote the idea of Trump-Russia collusion have offered no evidence that it is true.

If an atheist says there is no evidence that God exists, is that also an argument from ignorance fallacy? Or do you have a special pleading ready for that argument?

And you are offering a straw man, because I didn't say the investigation is nonsense, or that Democrats started it or officially run it. I'm saying the claim of Trump-Russia collusion is made up nonsense. By Dems and the media. With no evidence. Get that? If you don't understand the diff, then I don't really care to discuss it further with you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

While I appreciate your reply, I think the only strawman here is yours, Sig. I never said or implied that the official investigation by the FBI (or the House committee) was about whether Trump colluded with Russians. The headline of this thread and my argument, is that Democrats and their lackeys in the media have worked very hard to make the public think that there was collusion, and to make average Joe think that the investigations are about the supposed collusion. And I think that claim is self-evidently true to anyone watching the news for the past year.
    Granted, sorry, I argue this with some other folks that go farther on this than you and claim that the FBI is actually just doing the Democrats dirty work on their behalf using the deep state etc... That said...

Can you show me some evidence that the Democratic party or the mainstream media is arguing that Donald Trump colluded with the Russians? I have challenges with these kinds of claims as I don't watch TV news, which most people do (or so I'm told) I sometimes listen to NPR, and I use news aggretation sites like Google News to link me to written articles aobut news stories from various sources.

From those channels, I have never seen a straight claim that there is proof Donald Trump has been shown to collude with Russia during the election. Mostly they report about the investigation, and they report about what various pundits say when trying to analyze the information that is available.

I do see the right wing media claim that the left wing media is saying that, but I've never actually seen them say that. Individual pundits and the like, sure, but not actual news organizations or the Democratic party as a whole. So while you might have that impression, I'd like to see where you get it from that isn't simply someone else saying that they say that.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    Individual pundits and the like, sure, but not actual news organizations or the Democratic party as a whole. So while you might have that impression, I'd like to see where you get it from that isn't simply someone else saying that they say that.
    Well, the Democratic National Committee has filed a lawsuit alleging a broad conspiracy between Russia, wikileaks and the Trump campaign. https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.f1ca68bc1bdd

Dems high and low along with the liberal media have pushed rumors of new "bombshell" information every couple months for a year and a half, trying to delegitimize the Trump presidency. And most of the liberal media have given countless on air hours to Dems and their proxie pundits pushing the same fraud. It has been almost non-stop for a year and a half. With NO evidence offered.

So the headline for this thread doesn't say that Dems started the investigation, or are leading it in any official way, but rather that they are masters of the fraudulent spin still being perpetrated against the American public.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Okay nitpicker Mican, the Democrats and media who promote the idea of Trump-Russia collusion have offered no evidence that it is true.
    That's not nitpicking. You said there is no evidence. It's not nitpicking to challenge claims that you make.

And if you are saying that liberals (media, Democrats, whatever) are saying that Trump is guilty of collusion but not providing evidence to back up the claim, please support that.

I watch MSNBC (which I would say is a good example of "liberal media") clips with some regularity and I don't recall anyone saying specifically that Trump is guilty of collusion. They make the case that it looks suspicious (and it does) but I don't recall them saying that he is indeed guilty.

If an atheist says there is no evidence that God exists, is that also an argument from ignorance fallacy?
    If an atheist says "There is no God" based on the notion that no one has provided evidence that God exists, it would be an AFI argument.

And you directly said "There is no evidence" after challenging someone to provide evidence. If you didn't mean that no evidence exists then you misspoke and now we've cleared up what you meant. But don't blame me for addressing your arguments as you write them. You said "There is no evidence".

And you are offering a straw man, because I didn't say the investigation is nonsense, or that Democrats started it or officially run it.
    The thread title suggests otherwise "Democrats - masters of the made up nonsense investigation - RussiaGate"

The only investigation into alleged Trump collusion is the Mueller investigation. If that's not the "made up nonsense investigation" that the Democrats are "masters" of, which investigation were you referring to?

I'm saying the claim of Trump-Russia collusion is made up nonsense. By Dems and the media.
    Okay. Now support that statement.

With no evidence.
    That doesn't support that they made it all up.

While I don't think that we have seen any "smoking gun" linking Trump himself with Russian collusion, there is plenty of evidence to give one a reasonable suspicion of the Trump campaign. When Don Jr has an e-mail saying that he would love to meet with some Russians to get dirt on Hillary, it's kind of hard to make the case that the collusion issue is just made up from nothing but political bias. I think any reasonable person would have at least some suspicion that the Trump campaign may have colluded.

You can say that there is no real evidence that Donald himself colluded but I don't see how the evidence that we do have doesn't give one a reason to think that there might have been collusion.
    Last edited by mican333; May 24th, 2018 at 06:07 PM.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    If an atheist says "There is no God" based on the notion that no one has provided evidence that God exists, it would be an AFI argument.
    And the equivalent would be me saying Trump is innocent of collusion because there is no evidence. But I'm not making that claim, so your AFI is as bogus as Dem claims of collusion.

I've had it with you, again, Mican. If you weren't a mod, I'd have put you on ignore years ago. I won't be replying to you any more in this thread.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

And the equivalent would be me saying Trump is innocent of collusion because there is no evidence.
    No, the equivalent would be you saying "there is no evidence" based on evidence not being presented.

But I'm not making that claim, so your AFI is as bogus as Dem claims of collusion.
    And I didn't say you made that claim.

You said no one presented evidence and then said there is no evidence. That IS an AFI argument.

I've had it with you, again, Mican. If you weren't a mod, I'd have put you on ignore years ago. I won't be replying to you any more in this thread.
    Considering that I've done a pretty good job at tearing your arguments apart, I'm fine with you bowing out. I'm not much interested in your excuse for bowing out, though.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the Democratic National Committee has filed a lawsuit alleging a broad conspiracy between Russia, wikileaks and the Trump campaign. https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.f1ca68bc1bdd
    Thanks, I hadn't seen that. I think that certainly supports your assertion. I suppose the lawsuit would outline what they feel is their evidence. I suspect it is pretty weak.

Dems high and low along with the liberal media have pushed rumors of new "bombshell" information every couple months for a year and a half, trying to delegitimize the Trump presidency. And most of the liberal media have given countless on-air hours to Dems and their proxie pundits pushing the same fraud. It has been almost non-stop for a year and a half. With NO evidence offered.
    I don't see a lot of difference between that and the pressure on Obama and Clinton from the right. We had 8 years of it pretty solid. I don't see why we'd expect different with Trump. And again, I don't see the news making specific claims, they report the claims that others make.

So the headline for this thread doesn't say that Dems started the investigation, or are leading it in any official way, but rather that they are masters of the fraudulent spin still being perpetrated against the American public.
    I don't see anything too exciting in that claim. The Republicans also have lots of BS spin on this that and the other topic. I don't see one worse or better than the other in that regard. Which is not to say you are wrong, just that it's not all that unusual for political parties to spin hard and fast to attack their political opponents. They are supposed to be bias and confrontational.

I am more concerned about media making blatantly false claims or sharing blatantly false information. That's very problematic to me. Bias I can handle, but false claims I don't like at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Obama's administration, through the intelligence agencies, began spying on the opposing candidate and his political staff. THAT is the real scandal.
    Why wouldn't you post your evidence in my thread?
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast