Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protected Classes: Expand, Reduce or Maintain?

Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    Or how about we learn from history?
    If people had spoken up sooner, the jim crow laws could have been abolished sooner. It was a mistake to keep them so long, I believe the same applies here.
    We have gone about 60 yrs since jim crow laws. During those 60 yrs even teenagers (of any sex or color) now can and do become millionaires by the power of the internet. It has probably been the best yrs for a human to be alive in history.

Maybe to be "fair", we should just consider all men/women (adult, able bodied, etc) are created equal and give all equal protection. I'm sure there are valid exceptions, but in general, all should be treated equal under the law.
    But Jim Crow laws were wrong in origin. They were not meant to address an injustice, but to create one.

When someone is stolen from, what is the most just compensation? To pay them back of course. There may also be cause for some punishment from the state.

So when the US government stole liberty and opportunity from Black Americans, the just compensation is only to stop doing that? No. The most just compensation is to pay back the liberty and opportunity that was stolen by gicing them greater opportunity. (greater liberty is a near impossible thing to grant, though I can think of some possibilities).

What you propose is actually an injustice by any normal standards. Its saying that the crimes that were done should simply be forgiven and forgotten and that the victims should simply lump it and accept the damage done.
    Feed me some debate pellets!