Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fake Meat

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fake Meat

I've never argued that there is no demand. My argument is that it seems pretty stupid for a consumer to want vegetables to look like meat. And that *some* (possibly a very significant number) are being fooled into thinking it is real meat. So claim all you want that there is demand, but I've never argued that there isn't.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Some people buy higher priced items because they think higher price means better quality.
    Yes, SOME people do. And who are these people?

From your link: "It is used to maximize profit in areas where customers are happy to pay more"

But as established, those who might make a mistake purchase are likely to be illiterate and therefore are likely to be poor and therefore NOT people who "are happy to pay more".

You've offered unsupported, illogical opinions, and have demonstrated that you have zero knowledge of relevant packaging, marketing and pricing strategies.
    Your OPINION on my arguments and understanding are noted. But then your opinion is irrelevant.

When I make an argument, you can either rebut it or let it stand. If you let it stand, then it stands and hurling barbs at me is not a rebuttal to any of my arguments and your personal attacks on my understanding is likewise poor debating but not too inconsistent for your style of debating.
    Last edited by mican333; September 9th, 2018 at 07:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never argued that there is no demand.
    When we previously discussed the reason why fake meat is being sold, I brought up the point about how there are more vegetarians who still want to enjoy the hamburger experience, and that food manufacturers are targeting that dollar. Recap:
    ES: "How many people are eating it for the reason you offered?"
    FB: "Enough people to justify countless companies' attempts to improve imitation meat over the last few decades."
    ES: "Do you have support for the claim that there are "enough people (in your category) to justify countless companies' attempts to improve imitation meat" and that they aren't 75% people who are too stupid to understand the difference and another 20% who want to fool themselves?"
    FB: "The support is the growing popularity of the vegetarian and vegan lifestyles over the past decades. Are you denying that these lifestyles have become more popular over recent years? Can you not understand how companies in a capitalistic economy will try to take advantage of that growing market?"
    ES: no response

You obviously think that the companies aren't just targeting the increased and valid demand from vegetarians/vegans for imitation meat products, and you imply that they're trying to make money off tricking people. You even made up numbers to dispute that the main reason to produce fake meat is the increased valid demand, claiming that the majority of consumers of it is people who are tricked.

Again, are you denying that these lifestyles have become more popular over recent years? Can you not understand how companies in a capitalistic economy will try to take advantage of that growing market?

My argument is that it seems pretty stupid for a consumer to want vegetables to look like meat.
    I've already responded to this. If you think it's stupid, don't eat it, but there are valid reasons for people to want vegetables to look, taste, smell, and feel like meat.

And that *some* (possibly a very significant number)
    Until you offer support for any number, this is bare assertion. Statistics about literacy proves nothing about how many people are being tricked into buying fake meat, especially at restaurants where it is clearly identified apart from other menu items, and where there is verbal interaction between the seller and customer about them.

are being fooled into thinking it is real meat.
    Which I've supported isn't the case, since it strains credibility to think that, during the entire time that the Beyond burger was offered at A&W and subsequently sold out, there would be any confusion about the new menu item, let alone enough to empty their stock of it. This proves that there is actual demand for the product, which is what the companies producing it are targeting, and that they're not trying to make money off tricking people.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3