Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Mind trapped By: a series of unfortunate events

Over the pat month or so, I have been in a low speed head on collision, where I wasn't at fault. I Was attacked by an American Bulldog. Looked like one pictured below.. and finally... so far I crushed the tip of my finger while mixing cement. Everything could have been much worse but geez....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9304565.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	3798
    To serve man.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mind trapped By: a series of unfortunate events

Wow, that is terrible. At least they were (comparably) minor events.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

3. Thanks MindTrap028 thanked for this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Bad things are said to come in 3s. Maybe you're in the clear now.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

5. Thanks MindTrap028 thanked for this post
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by squatch
    Wow, that is terrible. At least they were (comparably) minor events.
    Yea, I keep telling myself, it could be worse.. and easily so.

Quote Originally Posted by evensaul
    Bad things are said to come in 3s. Maybe you're in the clear now.
    yea...i hope i have met my quota.
    i am really disappointed I broke my streak. 40 years without a broken bone.
    To serve man.

7. Likes Squatch347 liked this post
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience, bulldogs are usually very sweet.

I have a friend who recently had a much worse dog attack. I've only heard about it via social media but he and his cat were attacked by a neighbor's pit bull. My friend suffered very minor injuries but his cat got killed (it was a really pretty, friendly cat so many are upset about it 9- including me). Apparently the dog lived with four other pitbulls in neglectful conditions. When animal control went over, there was only one dog in the house so I guess the owners moved most of the dogs before the visit so it looks like not much was done about it at this time.

I always blame the owners, not the dogs. I got attacked by a dog that some dumbass brought to a party in the woods. I stood my ground and basically "barked back" to keep the dog at bay until the owner called the dog back but the owner obviously had no idea how to raise a dog and even was pretty blase about the dog biting people.

9. Thanks MindTrap028 thanked for this post
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to animals, i blame both. The breeds of dogs that insurance wont cover, is not because of owners inherent neglect, but the nature of the beasts. Given how amazing dogs are as creatures, the insane level of breeding selection of traits, another unrecognized problem is breeders. You can breed a dog to attack people, and then breed another dog to guard them... but poor breeding can mix the two purposes of breeding, and that is a recipe for disaster. such is the case for pitbulls I think.

Right now, i think there should be a legal requirement to carry insurance on "vicious" breeds of dogs. in my case the dog jumped a 4ft chain fence to attack me.
    To serve man.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    When it comes to animals, i blame both. The breeds of dogs that insurance wont cover, is not because of owners inherent neglect, but the nature of the beasts. Given how amazing dogs are as creatures, the insane level of breeding selection of traits, another unrecognized problem is breeders. You can breed a dog to attack people, and then breed another dog to guard them... but poor breeding can mix the two purposes of breeding, and that is a recipe for disaster. such is the case for pitbulls I think.

Right now, i think there should be a legal requirement to carry insurance on "vicious" breeds of dogs. in my case the dog jumped a 4ft chain fence to attack me.
    As I understand, the most aggressive breeds are Daschunds and Chihuahuas (I used to own a cat that was severely injured as a kitten by a chihuahua before I adopted her) but since they are small dogs, they aren't considered dangerous. And apparently Pit Bulls are generally very nice dogs but have a very strong bite so they aren't dangerous due to unusual aggressive nature but because they are more physically capable of damage if they are raised poorly. And again, by my unscientific methodology (encountering them from time to time), I always though bull dogs are very sweet.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mican
    As I understand, the most aggressive breeds are Daschunds and Chihuahuas (I used to own a cat that was severely injured as a kitten by a chihuahua before I adopted her) but since they are small dogs, they aren't considered dangerous.
    We have a chaweenie, which is a mix of both. My experience is that they just want to run away. However, i did run into one a tenant owned that was mean as hell. ... so basically 1/3 of all of them i know personally. The owner was a good owner imo... but it was mean.

Pits should be purged as a breed. not hard to find good pit owners, who die hard advocates, who changed their toon when their "family" "nice" dog suddenly attacked and killed their young child. I know such a person.

As for bulls, i don't think the one that attacked me was a pure bulldog. So that goes to my breeder point. Mutts are dangerous because you don't know what you are going to get, and some breeds are broken and tainted... like pit-bulls.

---
    blaiming owners.

Some dogs are super territorial, some are extreme pack driven (think family). They can be treated well, and just be put into a situation where they attack. Like don't yell at a dobermans owner, in their house when the dog is loose. It may think you are threatening momma.. and that is exactly how they are breed. Nothing broken.. just in a bad situation.

So when you say you blaime the owner. I picture neglectful bad owners. .. but that isn't the norm, I think it is more of the above. .. is there a clarification in your mind? Which are you thinking of?
    To serve man.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Pits should be purged as a breed. not hard to find good pit owners, who die hard advocates, who changed their toon when their "family" "nice" dog suddenly attacked and killed their young child. I know such a person.
    If such a thing is a common occurance, you have a point. But again, my understanding is that pit bulls are generally not very aggressive (I just looked it up and here's a link - https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/features/pit-bulls-safety#1) and a single incident does not really create a solid argument against that notion. Any large dog can do a lot of harm if it turns violent so I'm not sure why pit bulls need to be singled out for purging. There doens't seem to be anything inherently wrong with the breed.

Some dogs are super territorial, some are extreme pack driven (think family). They can be treated well, and just be put into a situation where they attack. Like don't yell at a dobermans owner, in their house when the dog is loose. It may think you are threatening momma.. and that is exactly how they are breed. Nothing broken.. just in a bad situation.

So when you say you blaime the owner. I picture neglectful bad owners. .. but that isn't the norm, I think it is more of the above. .. is there a clarification in your mind? Which are you thinking of?
    For starters, I'm thinking of the owner who's dog killed my friend's cat. That dog was clearly neglected. And likewise the dog that attacked me in the woods had a clueless owner (I met the guy later) who didn't seem to care that his dog might bite someone. And of course some dogs are specifically trained to be aggressive so if such a dog does hurt someone, the owner can be blamed.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

If such a thing is a common occurance, you have a point. But again, my understanding is that pit bulls are generally not very aggressive (I just looked it up and here's a link - https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/features/pit-bulls-safety#1) and a single incident does not really create a solid argument against that notion. Any large dog can do a lot of harm if it turns violent so I'm not sure why pit bulls need to be singled out for purging. There doens't seem to be anything inherently wrong with the breed.
    Well, just taking a laymans view of it. There is something that should tell us there is something "wrong" with a given breed. First off, insurance companies won't cover them. As they are driven by actualized risk tables... we should believe that the breeds cause significantly more risk of injury than those not similarly banned.

This would be a direct evidential contradiction to your understanding that pitbulls are generally not aggressive. In fact, they are generally a higher risk for aggression.. hence their exclusion from home owners insurance.

For starters, I'm thinking of the owner who's dog killed my friend's cat. That dog was clearly neglected. And likewise the dog that attacked me in the woods had a clueless owner (I met the guy later) who didn't seem to care that his dog might bite someone. And of course some dogs are specifically trained to be aggressive so if such a dog does hurt someone, the owner can be blamed.
    Right, and no doubt that plays a roll.
    especially fatal attacks.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_..._United_States

Just a quick view of the link... shows that pitbulls kill .. a lot... especially compared to the many breeds that don't make this particularly bad list.
    However, poor ownership isn't specific to a given breed, yet certain breeds are the vast majority of attacks.

---
    So, I propose that as these breeds are more deadly, and poor ownership can lead to deaths of others, and typical insurance does't cover them.. Then anyone who wants to own it should have insurance in order to own them.
    To serve man.