Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    That's so not true. The OP mentions two separate incidents.

And the only Republican was President Trump. If you are extrapolating that out to all Republicans you've committed a hasty generalization fallacy and we can shelve the thread now. Otherwise, you are simply making an argument about Trump and referencing two different examples. And that argument was decisively defeated by Ibelsd.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post

And the only Republican was President Trump. If you are extrapolating that out to all Republicans you've committed a hasty generalization fallacy and we can shelve the thread now. Otherwise, you are simply making an argument about Trump and referencing two different examples. And that argument was decisively defeated by Ibelsd.
    The second example had nothing to do with Trump. I wish I knew who it was, I'm guessing it was Bill Cunningham, regardless it was on notoriously republican supporting talk radio - which is why I listen to it.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

The second example had nothing to do with Trump. I wish I knew who it was, I'm guessing it was Bill Cunningham, regardless it was on notoriously republican supporting talk radio - which is why I listen to it.

You mean your random radio story? That wasn't an example at all, it was just Cowboy's story time. It also isn't clear at all that that person was even a Republican (you identify them as libertarian).

Even if we presumed it was a Republican, and some kind of influential republican (I'm not sure who Bill Cunningham is), two individuals is hardly "The Republican Party" so it would still be a hasty generalization fallacy.
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Post Thanks / Like

[COLOR="#800080"]
    You mean your random radio story? That wasn't an example at all, it was just Cowboy's story time. It also isn't clear at all that that person was even a Republican (you identify them as libertarian).
    Right, he sounded like a libertarian type. Are you saying talk radio isn't dominated by those towing the republican line?

It was a different example - Clinton's email.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

Even if we presumed it was a Republican, and some kind of influential republican (I'm not sure who Bill Cunningham is), two individuals is hardly "The Republican Party" so it would still be a hasty generalization fallacy.
    You're the one claiming I can only talk about Trump. Huh? So my support against a fallacy is the post about Moscow Mitch.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Right, he sounded like a libertarian type. Are you saying talk radio isn't dominated by those towing the republican line?

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

You're the one claiming I can only talk about Trump. Huh? So my support against a fallacy is the post about Moscow Mitch, and, of course, the legislation passed by the democrats.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

That didn't reference a single Republican, which is the point here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy

You're the one claiming I can only talk about Trump.

I said the only Republican referenced was President Trump. That is objectively and definitively the case, right?

Post Thanks / Like

That didn't reference a single Republican, which is the point here.
    That I know of for sure? Yes. What he was talking about and where is relevant. I'm talking about Republicans as policy makers and their fixation with Hillary's emails. That support comes from their base (including media outlets) is relevant no matter their actual party affiliation (or lack thereof):

“If Trump & co. just pivoted to ‘Aren’t you glad Russia helped us defeat Hillary Clinton?’ would there be any serious blowback from his base?”

The question was rhetorical. The answers that began trickling in were not.

“No,” said Cassandra Fairbanks, a writer at the right-wing news and conspiracy website Gateway Pundit (and a former Sputnik employee). “I mean, I would be cool with it. Im already there. If russia was involved we should thank them.”

“No,” responded another self-identified Trump voter. “Hillary is a greater threat to our Republic.”

Several people pointed me to Jacob Wohl, a Trump booster with a large Twitter following, who had mused just hours earlier, “If Russia assists MAGA Candidates on the internet in this year’s midterms, that’s not the end of the world.” And others re-upped a C-span clip from the day before in which a caller identified as Mary Lou from Connecticut said, “I’ll try not to sound too awful, but I want to thank the Russians for interfering with our election to stop Hillary Clinton from becoming president. That woman has got illusions of grandeur.”

Given this pattern of deflection and rationalization, is it really so implausible that a significant segment of Trump backers might complete the journey from denying Russian meddling to celebrating it? Already, GOP voters’ attitudes toward Russia have warmed considerably in the years since the then-Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney identified the country as America’s top geopolitical foe. According to Gallup, the percentage of Republicans who view Russia as “friendly” or an “ally” has doubled since 2014—from 22 percent to 40 percent.

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

I said the only Republican referenced was President Trump. That is objectively and definitively the case, right?
    I suppose if we're only talking about registered republicans. When I find such and example supporting my OP I should be able to post it.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

That I know of for sure? Yes.

Which is the point, attempt to substitute other stuff notwithstanding. Since you only mentioned President Trump in the OP, and we all agree that Ibelsd has defeated the OP, the thread is defunct.

Post Thanks / Like

Which is the point, attempt to substitute other stuff notwithstanding. Since you only mentioned President Trump in the OP, and we all agree that Ibelsd has defeated the OP, the thread is defunct.
    Trump is not the only republican of consequence.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6