Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 80
  1. #41
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,075
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    Support that I asked for please. The smart thing to do would be to go out and look for stuff the republicans have done. You're just helping my argument by bloviating.
    Non sequitur

  2. #42
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    Non sequitur
    If you'd like to go over what the Russians did and are doing that be a great topic for another thread. It's a given in this thread.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  3. #43
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,075
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    If you'd like to go over what the Russians did and are doing that be a great topic for another thread. It's a given in this thread.
    Ok, it's given in this thread the Russian's did "something" to attempt to affect our last presidential election.

    We don't know what they did nor how successful they were in this attempt

    What should be the appropriate response be?
    Once we know that, we can judge how far off the mark republican's actually are.

  4. #44
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    We don't know how successful they were in this attempt
    Yes we do.

    ---------- Post added at 02:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    What should be the appropriate response be?
    and you therefore agree that there should be a response.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  5. #45
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,075
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    Yes we do.
    Awesome! I have seen nothing on this, what do you have to offer?

    ---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    and you therefore agree that there should be a response.
    No, I am trying to work within the confines of the Op.

    You claim the Rep's have not responded adequately, so I am asking what would be adequate.

  6. #46
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    Awesome! I have seen nothing on this, what do you have to offer?[COLOR="Silver"]
    See the OP.

    ---------- Post added at 02:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    .

    You claim the Rep's have not responded adequately
    Nope, see the title of this thread.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  7. #47
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    Russia Hacked U.S. Power Grid — So What Will The Trump Administration Do About It? March 23, 2018

    "The government informed electric companies last summer that Russia undertook what DHS calls a "multistage intrusion campaign" against the utilities, using common hacking techniques such as malware and spear-phishing. The hackers were able to to gain access to at least one power plant's control system."

    ""Our energy infrastructure is under attack," Cantwell said. "It's under cyberattack, and we need to do much more to protect it as a national critical asset."

    Cantwell wants the Trump administration to do an assessment of Russian cyberattacks against the electric grid. The Department of Energy is establishing an Office of Cybersecurity, Energy Security, and Emergency Response, which will focus on energy infrastructure security.

    But any retaliation in response to Russia's cyber-incursion would be up to Trump."




    Is it possible that Russia hacked our utility grid and caused the current disaster here in Massachusetts? Perhaps to distract from the Mannaforte announcement?

    If so, and knowing that it happened before and that this is a favored tactic of the Russians, has Trump not protected us?

    This would be an act of war, no? especially since people died?
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  8. #48
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Posts
    7,391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    Since it is against international law and US tax dollars can not be used for such a purpose by US law, I am convinced the US would not try to influence another country's elections so we are justified in being outraged that a country would try to influence ours (*by allowing some truths to be known about one party only).
    It is quite possible to be outraged about both you know... I think our efforts to interfere in the affairs of other nations is generally reprehensible and ill-conceived. I also think it is important that we take reasonable steps to protect ourselves from such interference.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

  9. #49
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,075
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    It is quite possible to be outraged about both you know...
    I don't believe I have suggested otherwise, indeed, the reason for my sarcastic quote was to exemplify Americans trying to take the moral/legal high ground when our own gov't has/tried to assassinate other world leaders, let alone try to "influence" their countries elections.

    ---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    I think our efforts to interfere in the affairs of other nations is generally reprehensible and ill-conceived.
    I agree in general, though I do see times when it would benefit almost everyone. There have been/are situations where I think it was/is in the best interest of humanity that we intervene, but it shouldn't be our basic foreign policy.

    ---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    I also think it is important that we take reasonable steps to protect ourselves from such interference.
    Agreed. The threats are many and very real!

    However, we should have a fairly clear idea of what we are responding to, so our response is appropriate, PRIOR to responding, which goes against the spirit of this thread thus far...

  10. #50
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    goes against the spirit of this thread thus far...
    In which you'd be completely wrong.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  11. #51
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    Hill push to battle foreign election interference is stuck at McConnell roadblock

    The Senate majority leader has not allowed a vote on any of the bipartisan measures to strengthen election systems and make it harder for hostile powers to manipulate social media.

    WASHINGTON — Not every Republican agrees with President Trump that foreigners have a role to play in American elections.

    In fact, some GOP senators have joined with Democrats to co-sponsor legislation designed to shore up voting machines and make it harder for foreign intelligence operatives to hack, leak and manipulate social media the way the Russians did in 2016.

    But those bills are going nowhere — because Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., has not allowed a vote on any of them.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  12. #52
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,373
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    Russia Hacked U.S. Power Grid — So What Will The Trump Administration Do About It? March 23, 2018

    "The government informed electric companies last summer that Russia undertook what DHS calls a "multistage intrusion campaign" against the utilities, using common hacking techniques such as malware and spear-phishing. The hackers were able to to gain access to at least one power plant's control system."

    ""Our energy infrastructure is under attack," Cantwell said. "It's under cyberattack, and we need to do much more to protect it as a national critical asset."

    Cantwell wants the Trump administration to do an assessment of Russian cyberattacks against the electric grid. The Department of Energy is establishing an Office of Cybersecurity, Energy Security, and Emergency Response, which will focus on energy infrastructure security.

    But any retaliation in response to Russia's cyber-incursion would be up to Trump."




    Is it possible that Russia hacked our utility grid and caused the current disaster here in Massachusetts? Perhaps to distract from the Mannaforte announcement?

    If so, and knowing that it happened before and that this is a favored tactic of the Russians, has Trump not protected us?

    This would be an act of war, no? especially since people died?
    You mean
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/06/trump-cyber-russia-power-hacking.html
    The Trump admin has done the following:
    "So the United States is hacking Russia’s power grid, just as Russia is hacking ours, in ways that are more aggressive than in the past"

    Without slipping down your wild conspiracy theories and tin hat allegations, it appears the Trump admin has given greater operational authority to U.S. Cybercommand to go on the offensive without having to seek his permission. It just makes your brain hurt though, but... but... Trump and Putin and Russia and collusion.. I know, I know, complex and it makes those with TRD hurt all over. Why don't we just present the Russians with a big "Reset" button which will secretly launch a cyber attack upon themselves. Then, we can have Trump whisper in Putin's ear that it'll all stop quietly after he wins the next election where he'll have more maneuverability in such matters. I mean, it worked once right and they'll never suspect a thing since the last time we presented them a big red reset button, it was just a harmless gimmick that misspelled reset.

    Now we wait for CB to libsplain in T-minus 10...9...8...
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  13. #53
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    bwahahahahahaha

    The Times reports that Donald Trump wasn’t even fully briefed on the hacking of Russia’s power grid, in part because officials feared that he might “countermand” the order—suggesting the hack was in place before they told Trump anything about it—and that he might tell foreign officials about it, carelessly or otherwise. Whatever the reason, Trump wasn’t fully briefed because he didn’t have to be.
    I thought the Times was "fake news"?
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  14. #54
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,373
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    bwahahahahahaha



    I thought the Times was "fake news"?
    Right, as suspected, the Trump admin is tougher on Russia than his predeccosor and all you can do is point to a quote from the Times that Trump isn't in the loop. Let's go with that. So what? It was his admin's decision to give the U.S. Cyber Command greater freedom to launch offenses. It is because they have this freedom that they can operate without Trump's permission. It is the freedom that Trump gave them. I know, not nearly as tough as a big red button, but considering Trump and Putin are pals, this is surprising, no?
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  15. #55
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Right, as suspected, the Trump admin is tougher on Russia than his predeccosor and all you can do is point to a quote from the Times that Trump isn't in the loop. Let's go with that. So what? It was his admin's decision to give the U.S. Cyber Command greater freedom to launch offenses. It is because they have this freedom that they can operate without Trump's permission. It is the freedom that Trump gave them. I know, not nearly as tough as a big red button, but considering Trump and Putin are pals, this is surprising, no?
    I'll admit it is somewhat comforting that this, along with other reports of staff disregarding him, suggests that there are adults around that know he needs to be isolated. You'd probably call them the deep state or some such nonsense.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  16. #56
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,373
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    I'll admit it is somewhat comforting that this, along with other reports of staff disregarding him, suggests that there are adults around that know he needs to be isolated. You'd probably call them the deep state or some such nonsense.
    Again, Trump gave them the freedom to act. Gonna ignore that part, eh?
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  17. #57
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Again, Trump gave them the freedom to act. Gonna ignore that part, eh?
    Well, yes, who would allow themselves to get involved otherwise? Maybe a moron with a wish to spend some time in prison.

    I won't also forget his inability to handle his duties as commander in chief.

    he might tell foreign officials about it, carelessly or otherwise



    You voted for a dunce *snicker*
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  18. #58
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,373
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    Well, yes, who would allow themselves to get involved otherwise? Maybe a moron with a wish to spend some time in prison.

    I won't also forget his inability to handle his duties as commander in chief.






    You voted for a dunce *snicker*
    There are facts and then there are rumors and stories which may or may not be true. The fact is that Trump gave cyber command the authority to do what they felt needed to be done. The rest is just rumor and opinion. Your claim has been that Trump is in Putin's pocket. The fact is that he just gave the cyber command agency the freedom to do what Obama would not allow them to do, namely take offensive action against Russia. Those are the facts. You can spin this a million ways to Sunday and the facts do not change. You can feel better about someone's opinion if you'd like, but it still does not change the facts.

    And.. I didn't vote for Trump. Sorry. Oh, but I think I will in the upcoming election. Lower taxes. Booming economy. Potential to be the first President in modern history (I've only gone back 100 years or so) to have not gotten us into a foreign war inside the first term of his Presidency. Yeah, he's been real terrible for America...
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  19. #59
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    The fact is that he just gave the cyber command agency the freedom to do what Obama would not allow them to do, namely take offensive action against Russia.
    That's not a fact, that's some nonsense you made up.

    ---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    The fact is that Trump gave cyber command the authority to do what they felt needed to be done.
    More likely this was put through by the adults in the room due to the distinct possibility that Trump is compromised. They said as much..."he might tell foreign officials about it, carelessly or otherwise"
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  20. #60
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    9,101
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Republicans Refuse to Defend Us Against Foreign Attacks

    "more likely... " Yea that is a piece of baseless bias
    To serve man.

 

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A Man CAN Refuse Forced Fatherhood
    By Scarlett44 in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: March 11th, 2014, 02:15 PM
  2. For those who defend your beloved GOP
    By Ibelsd in forum Politics
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2010, 09:42 PM
  3. Defend the Monster
    By Apokalupsis in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: January 2nd, 2006, 06:12 AM
  4. Personal Attacks Enforcement
    By Apokalupsis in forum Announcements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2005, 01:33 PM
  5. Relious freedom to refuse medical treatment for children
    By tinkerbell in forum Philosophical Debates
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: August 15th, 2004, 02:28 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •