Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Lies About George Soros

During my usual scanning of the right wing controlled talk radio on my way to work I once again heard the usual lies about George Soros.

Here's a pretty complete debunking of those lies that usually slip on by and are repeated as fact.

What I heard on this particular broadcast was that Soros was a collaborator and took part in confiscating property of jews. Again, I didn't catch the name of the show. I'm going to pay attention more to that next time.

"Was Soros a Nazi Collaborator?

It is also claimed that Soros survived the German occupation of Budapest by becoming a Nazi “collaborator.” Fox News pundit Glenn Beck alleged in November 2010, for example, that the 14-year-old Soros “help[ed] the government confiscate the lands of his fellow Jewish friends and neighbors,” and, worse (in Beck’s view), was unrepentant about it:

So when George Soros was 14, his father basically bribed a government official to take his son in and let him pretend to be a Christian. His father was just trying to keep him alive. He even had to go around confiscating property of Jewish people.

Now, imagine you are Jewish and you have to go and confiscate the property of your fellow Jews. And you are pretending to not be a Jew and if anybody finds out, you’re dead. He actually had to endure watching people sent off to their eventual murders, watching people gathering their stuff, sending them off knowing that they were going to go to their death.

“I don’t want to question the 14-year-old,” Beck disingenuously stated during a series of broadcasts devoted to painting Soros as an evil “puppet-master” of the left. “I would have, however, liked to question the 80-year-old man who has never once said he regretted it,” he added.

Central to Beck’s case were quotes and clips from a 1998 60 Minutes interview (which can be viewed in its entirety here), an excerpt from which was also used as the centerpiece in a commentary on the conspiracist web site InfoWars.com in which host Alex Jones claimed that the teenaged Soros “helped round up thousands of people” and “stole hundreds of millions of dollars” from Hungarian Jews on behalf of the Nazi occupiers:

Conservative author Dinesh D’Souza (who has gone so far as to compare the 14-year-old George Soros to Nazi war criminal Josef Mengele) revived the “Nazi collaborator” claim in his 2017 book The Big Lie: Exposing the Nazi Roots of the American Left, doubling down on it in a social media campaign to promote book sales:

Dinesh D'Souza

@DineshDSouza
    .@georgesoros, now a principle financial backer of violent #Antifa thugs, admits his collaboration with Hitler and says he has no regrets: pic.twitter.com/P1Xl1vo87T

8:30 PM - Sep 1, 2017
    Other conservative and alt-right media figures followed suit:

Mike Cernovich 🇺🇸

@Cernovich
    Soros was Nazi collaborator. He laughed about it.

James Woods

@RealJamesWoods
    #Nazi collaborator #GeorgeSoros in his own words, while other Jews his age had died fighting Nazis in the Warsaw Ghetto...

Ann Coulter

@AnnCoulter
    Media Matters sugar daddy is George Soros, WHO IDENTIFIED JEWS TO THE NAZIS, as he admitted on 60 Minutes

10:51 PM - Jun 11, 2015

"Yet the simple truth is that George Soros neither said nor did anything resembling what he has been accused of. In no sense was Soros, who turned 14 years old not long after the Germans occupied Hungary in 1944, a “Nazi collaborator.” At no time did he confiscate (or help confiscate) the property of Jews, “identify Jews to the Nazis,” or help “round up” people targeted for deportation or extermination by the Germans (to answer just a few of the accusations leveled against him). And although Soros did attest during the infamous 60 Minutes interview that he regrets nothing about the time of German occupation, he also said it is precisely because he didn’t do any of the things attributed to him that his conscience is clear."

While it’s true that one of the jobs delegated to young George’s temporary protector, a Hungarian bureaucrat named Baumbach, was taking inventory of Jewish properties already confiscated by the Nazis, Kaufman writes, the extent of Soros’s participation was accompanying Baumbach on one of these assignments:

Shortly after George went to live with Baumbach, the man was assigned to take inventory on the vast estate of Mor Kornfeld, an extremely wealthy aristocrat of Jewish origin. The Kornfeld family had the wealth, wisdom, and connections to be able to leave some of its belongings behind in exchange for permission to make their way to Lisbon. Baumbach was ordered to go to the Kornfeld estate and inventory the artworks, furnishings, and other property. Rather than leave his “godson” behind in Budapest for three days, he took the boy with him. As Baumbach itemized the material, George walked around the grounds and spent time with Kornfeld’s staff. It was his first visit to such a mansion, and the first time he rode a horse. He collaborated with no one and he paid attention to what he understood to be his primary responsibility: making sure that no one doubted that he was Sandor Kiss [Soros’s assumed identity]. Among his practical concerns was to make sure that no one saw him pee.
    "
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

2. Likes Sigfried liked this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lies About George Soros

Lies about Soros are completely uncalled for. The truth should be enough.

George Soros is a leftist billionaire who offers financial support to MoveOn.org, Black Lives Matter and likely a much larger web of leftist organizations through donations to his Centers for American Progress and Open Society organizations. The man who expects transparency in others does not readily disclose the size of his donations or what they are used for as he works to effect US politics. He has also funded dissident efforts in Russia and is very involved with politics in Europe, Africa and the Middle East. (Is Soros an anti-Semite? I think probably, yes.) The hypocritical left seems to think it is just fine to interfere in the politics of other countries, but want prosecutions against outsiders who cause them problems in the United States.

How does Soros gain his wealth? By causing and then taking advantage of financial crises in targeted economies. Nobel winning economist Paul Krugman (no conservative he) said of Soros "[N]obody who has read a business magazine in the last few years can be unaware that these days there really are investors who not only move money in anticipation of a currency crisis, but actually do their best to trigger that crisis for fun and profit. These new actors on the scene do not yet have a standard name; my proposed term is 'Soroi'."
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Lies about Soros are completely uncalled for.
    Good approach, you about ruined it with your Anti-Semite remark, but other than that, fair enough. Critiquing someone for what they are openly and expressly for is totally fair, and the best way to go.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Post Thanks / Like

Lies about Soros are completely uncalled for. The truth should be enough.

George Soros is a leftist billionaire who offers financial support to MoveOn.org, Black Lives Matter and likely a much larger web of leftist organizations through donations to his Centers for American Progress and Open Society organizations. The man who expects transparency in others does not readily disclose the size of his donations or what they are used for as he works to effect US politics. He has also funded dissident efforts in Russia and is very involved with politics in Europe, Africa and the Middle East. (Is Soros an anti-Semite? I think probably, yes.) The hypocritical left seems to think it is just fine to interfere in the politics of other countries, but want prosecutions against outsiders who cause them problems in the United States.
    The truth can be proven (not just supported, though that would be nice). Minus that it looks like you've just spouted more lies about Mr. Soros.
    Last edited by CowboyX; September 1st, 2018 at 07:15 PM.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    Minus that it looks like you've just spouted more lies about Mr. Soros.
    What, specifically, are the lies that I have presented as fact? Your general dismissal suggests you can't rebut a single item.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

What, specifically, are the lies that I have presented as fact? Your general dismissal suggests you can't rebut a single item.
    You've supported nothing - not even your quote - so there really is no need to rebut.

"He has also funded dissident efforts in Russia and is very involved with politics in Europe, Africa and the Middle East. The hypocritical left seems to think it is just fine to interfere in the politics of other countries, but want prosecutions against outsiders who cause them problems in the United States."

Support that Soros has engaged in anything resembling what Mueller is investigating (there was another guilty plea on Friday).

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The facts I offered, including the quote, came from the Wikipedia page on Soros: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Soros

I don't see much difference between what Mueller is supposed to investigate and what Soros does on a regular basis.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see much difference between what Mueller is supposed to investigate and what Soros does on a regular basis.
    Not sure how you can since you haven't presented anything.

Here's a more complete quote from your source:

"In 1997, during the Asian financial crisis, the prime minister of Malaysia, Mahathir bin Mohamad, accused Soros of using the wealth under his control to punish the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) for welcoming Myanmar as a member. Following on a history of antisemitic remarks, Mahathir made specific reference to Soros' Jewish background ("It is a Jew who triggered the currency plunge"[64]) and implied Soros was orchestrating the crash as part of a larger Jewish conspiracy. Nine years later, in 2006, Mahathir met with Soros and afterward stated that he accepted that Soros had not been responsible for the crisis.[65] In 1998's The Crisis of Global Capitalism: Open Society Endangered Soros explained his role in the crisis as follows:

The financial crisis that originated in Thailand in 1997 was particularly unnerving because of its scope and severity... By the beginning of 1997, it was clear to Soros Fund Management that the discrepancy between the trade account and the capital account was becoming untenable. We sold short the Thai baht and the Malaysian ringgit early in 1997 with maturities ranging from six months to a year. (That is, we entered into contracts to deliver at future dates Thai baht and Malaysian ringgit that we did not currently hold.) Subsequently Prime Minister Mahathir of Malaysia accused me of causing the crisis, a wholly unfounded accusation. We were not sellers of the currency during or several months before the crisis; on the contrary, we were buyers when the currencies began to decline—we were purchasing ringgits to realize the profits on our earlier speculation. (Much too soon, as it turned out. We left most of the potential gain on the table because we were afraid that Mahathir would impose capital controls. He did so, but much later.)[66]

In 1999, economist Paul Krugman was critical of Soros' effect on financial markets.

[N]obody who has read a business magazine in the last few years can be unaware that these days there really are investors who not only move money in anticipation of a currency crisis, but actually do their best to trigger that crisis for fun and profit. These new actors on the scene do not yet have a standard name; my proposed term is 'Soroi'.[67]"

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

You've got one former Malaysian PM who made a statement ten years later. So what? He could have said that for any number of reasons. And why did you leave out the other predatory financial activities?

That's all you've got? No response to how he interferes in government and politics around the world? That's all completely acceptable to you, is it? I guess anything advancing the leftist agenda is just fine in your eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

And why did you leave out the other predatory financial activities?
    Such as?

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

That's all you've got? No response to how he interferes in government and politics around the world? That's all completely acceptable to you, is it?
    As long as it is acceptable behavior, then, yes, it is acceptable to me.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

I guess anything advancing the leftist agenda is just fine in your eyes.
    I'm not sure how you define "the leftist agenda" but the way I define it, well, yes.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

... yes, it is acceptable to me.
    Right, that demonstrates the hypocrisy of the Left. Outside interference in what you thought would be a Clinton victory is unacceptable. But interference in the politics of other countries is completely okay with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Right, that demonstrates the hypocrisy of the Left.
    False equivalence.

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Outside interference in what you thought would be a Clinton victory is unacceptable.
    The unacceptable behavior, yes, is unacceptable. Patten just plead guilty to such behavior.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

But interference in the politics of other countries is completely okay with you.
    As long as it is acceptable behavior, yes, acceptable. Do you have any examples of unacceptable behavior?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

As long as it is acceptable behavior, yes, acceptable. Do you have any examples of unacceptable behavior?
    Keep repeating that if you like. We both know your categorization of acceptable and unacceptable depends on whether the left is benefited or hindered. Soros can interfere in countries around the world, and you cheer. But anyone from abroad doing the same here, opposing your agenda, would be vilified.

Post Thanks / Like

We both know your categorization of acceptable and unacceptable depends on whether the left is benefited or hindered.
    That is your definition, not mine. Yes, those who have been convicted so far should be vilified (this also includes those that were pardoned (in this context)).