Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mind Trapped by: Supreme court nominations and sexual assault accusations

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    I am prone to rhetorical flourishes.
    (This post in not really related to the Op, but since ODN is leaving us...)

So, absolutely nothing appropriate nor meaningful in this comment!
    I appreciate your honesty, if not your humility....

If you really did hold the intellectually superior position you believe you do, it should be easy to make your point to the less learned
    Your response here is just an attempt to justify being an ass!

I used to really enjoy you and Apok fighting it out years ago! I think I learned from those conversations and I thank you for your clarity of thought and insight at that time.
    Squatch believes your current posts are "better" than the past. This is another example though, when my friend and I disagree.

As I told Apok several times, the civility of this site is why I stayed once I found it!
    I am really going to miss this site :(
    but I am happy for what I have learned here!

My apologies for this post not relating more to the Op.

Sig, I hope you don't take this as a personal attack.
    I really did read and enjoy your posts for a number of years prior to joining and making my first post! I hope you are having a great night and will miss reading your posts after ODN is gone...
    B

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

To my mind, a bit of jibing and rhetoric is part of the fun of debate. You want a little passion and pathos to happen. If we are too dry it takes away some of the humanity of the effort to fight for an idea or position.

I don't think that makes it uncivil, or meaningless, so long as the jibe is part of a more substantial post.

I'm a writer and I like to turn a phrase, make puns, alliteration, and to generally be a smart ass on occasion. It makes debate somewhat playful.

i also do silly stuff. I had a video debate on nudity, and I did it with my shirt off on camera, because... well it was funny.

Beyond that, part of persuasive speech is getting peoples attention, making what you say memorable, and other rhetorical flourishes that are largely psychological. Not to persuade with emotion but to use emotion to get the audience to pay attention.

If I offended, I apologize. It wasn't meant to be a serious attack on your intelligence or character, more a jibe/goad.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    To my mind, a bit of jibing and rhetoric is part of the fun of debate. You want a little passion and pathos to happen. If we are too dry it takes away some of the humanity of the effort to fight for an idea or position.

I don't think that makes it uncivil, or meaningless, so long as the jibe is part of a more substantial post.

I'm a writer and I like to turn a phrase, make puns, alliteration, and to generally be a smart ass on occasion. It makes debate somewhat playful.

i also do silly stuff. I had a video debate on nudity, and I did it with my shirt off on camera, because... well it was funny.

Beyond that, part of persuasive speech is getting peoples attention, making what you say memorable, and other rhetorical flourishes that are largely psychological. Not to persuade with emotion but to use emotion to get the audience to pay attention.

If I offended, I apologize. It wasn't meant to be a serious attack on your intelligence or character, more a jibe/goad.
    Well then, no offense taken

As I have said many times here on ODN, "I like to keep a little humor in my argumentation".

I didn't like Ronald Reagan when he was president (though in retrospect, I think I was a bit misguided back then...), however, I always admired how he used humor in conflicts with democrats.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11