Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Mind Trapped by: Supreme court nominations and sexual assault accusations

The most dominate story right now, is in regards to sexual assault accusations for the Supreme court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.
    CNN provides a timeline of events that ends on the 17th.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/17/polit...ine/index.html

https://www.louderwithcrowder.com/th...sation-circus/
    Provides an alternative time line.

The distinction between these two time lines can effect how we view the situation. The first by CNN is from the point of view of the accuser, and is more a time line of her experience then of ours.
    So if we put ourselves in her shoes, then we may be more sympathetic to her claims. The second is more a reflection of how the general public experienced this story, and that may make us less sympathetic to her, and more to Kavanaugh. This is how, from the first time line, this doesn't come out of no where, but was building over time. From the second time line, the timing seem purely political. Opponents waiting till the last possible moment to drop an anonymous bombshell accusation to achieve a delay with political hopes of delaying till power changes.

For me, I take the second point of view. The first view is not established fact, it is gossip, these are unsupported allegations with internal problems, and denial from direct witnesses.
    Internal problems because her current story, doesn't line up with the evidence she is offering.
    From CNN timeline link
    Quote Originally Posted by LINK
    While at couples therapy with her husband, Ford told the Post she described the alleged incident in detail for the first time. Her husband, Russell Ford, recalled to the Post that she talked during their 2012 sessions about the incident, mentioning Kavanaugh's last name and that he was a federal judge who might be on the Supreme Court eventually. Ford provided portions of the therapist's notes to the paper, which described an incident without mentioning Kavanaugh by name. The Post said the notes referred to four boys involved, which Ford said was an error made by her therapist. Ford told the Post four boys at the party, but only two were in the room.
    Denied by direct (alleged) witnesses

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/18/polit...ugh/index.html
    "I understand that I have been identified by Dr. Christine Blasey Ford as the person she remembers as 'PJ' who supposedly was present at the party she described in her statements to the Washington Post," Smyth says in his statement to the Senate Judiciary Committee. "I am issuing this statement today to make it clear to all involved that I have no knowledge of the party in question; nor do I have any knowledge of the allegations of improper conduct she has leveled against Brett Kavanaugh."
    Another friend and classmate of Kavanaugh's, Mark Judge, has been named as the other person who was in the room when the alleged incident took place. Judge has also denied the incident happened.
    And that is the state of things. We have an accusation, and 3 denials from people supposedly at the event. What can we do with that? Is that enough to ruin a carrier? There are some who say, even if it did happen it doesn't matter because it was so long ago, and wasn't really that big a deal. I don't subscribe to that, if it did happen I agree that it should be one of those things that comes back to haunt you in life. But we don't know that it happened, and I am not fond of public opinion trails.

I would say that due to the nature of the whole event, and some of the ridiculous demands, that I am highly disinclined to believe the event actually occurred. One of her demands is that Kavanaugh defend himself before she makes her accusations. Which is patently absurd, and is a move for maximum political damage. The very first thing that rubbed me the wrong way, was that we were supposed to have a negative reaction and stop the whole proceedings based on an ANONYMOUS accusation. That is more absurd then expecting the accused to defend himself before hearing charges. It should be viewed as a major problem that "justice" and "truth" are thought to be perused in this way. This is how kangaroo courts work, and it is really unworthy of the process for placement on the highest court in the land.

One sympathy I have for those who say it doesn't matter, is that I do believe people can redeem themselves. I believe people can change. It certainly doesn't appear that Kavanaugh currently reflects the kind of person that would do that kind of thing. It is horrible, and it is a bad thing, but I was all for Ben Carson, and he admitted to attempting to stab someone. The reason that was powerful story FOR him being qualified, was specifically because he was no longer that person. My point is, its not like we are currently faced with the possibility of appointing a monster to the highest court. (That is making a lot of assumptions we shouldn't make, just giving worst case scenario IMO).

Not very interesting is a story about the lawyers inconsistency.. Debra Kats is the accusers lawyers.. But who really cares about the moral standard of lawyers?
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...n-franken.html
    To serve man.