Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trump Engaged in Suspect Tax Schemes

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy
    They're the ones doing my taxes and they seem to believe they know what they are doing since they are willing to put their money where their mouths are.
    So. Their mistakes are built into the cost of their business model.
    so what?

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOY
    Which is why only fools have no representation.
    Exactly my point. And not even your representations can claim to be legally certain.
    They can do the best they know how, and they can have a high rate of success. But even if that effort they STILL have to account for when the IRS decides against them.
    To serve man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    I disagree. Businesses give guarantees that you won't be audited. Seems like they think they are pretty certain. I'm not sure how tax professionals would feel about this statement and is it more conspiracy theory than reality.
    What company that does your taxes for you, "guarantees you will not be audited"?

I have not heard of such a thing before.

the Donald should use them I'm thinkin....

3. Likes Squatch347, MindTrap028 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    What company that does your taxes for you, "guarantees you will not be audited"?

I have not heard of such a thing before.

the Donald should use them I'm thinkin....
    My tax guy does, TurboTax used to but I haven't used them in years, H&R Block
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

Post Thanks / Like

My tax guy does, TurboTax used to but I haven't used them in years, H&R Block
    Negative.
    TurboTax (I have used it always) never did and "your tax guy" is a bit vague Scooter....

6. Thanks Squatch347 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Negative.
    TurboTax (I have used it always) never did and "your tax guy" is a bit vague Scooter....
    huh?

TaxResources, Inc., dba TaxAudit, will provide the audit defense services for the tax return described on the membership certificate in return for the applicable membership fee and compliance with all applicable terms of this agreement (the "Audit Defense Plan").
    That's from the TurboTax website. Are you further suggesting that TurboTax wouldn't stand by its software should there be a problem on their end? Say, they made a mistake in the tax code in their application that resulted in an audit?

Yes, my tax guy guarantees his work and backs it up. Granted, I've never had a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

huh?
    Since you find that confusing let us revisit your claim:

"I disagree. Businesses give guarantees that you won't be audited. Seems like they think they are pretty certain. I'm not sure how tax professionals would feel about this statement and is it more conspiracy theory than reality."

Turbo Tax does not make this claim.

That's from the TurboTax website. Are you further suggesting that TurboTax wouldn't stand by its software should there be a problem on their end?
    That Turbo Tax (for an extra fee) will send a representative of their firm to go to the audit with you isn't even in the same Library as "guaranteeing you will not be audited"
    Turbo Tax will stand by their software during your audit, but they have no control how you plug the numbers in, so the tax return is still all you.
    MT's point (that started this) still stands.

Yes, my tax guy guarantees his work and backs it up. Granted, I've never had a problem.
    This is a much different claim I have no issue with, since it appears you believe you could still be audited.

Now granted, if you are used to filing a 1040EZ form tax law means little. I have a rental property (for instance) and the tax laws of what I can right off are pretty vague. The more of these kinds of financial issues and the tax code becomes quite burdensome to understand and comply with even when one intends to. A lot of it comes down to interpretation. For instance:

If I buy a plastic tarp and I am a house builder, is it taxable or not?

Answer:
    1. If it is used under a concrete slab - NON taxable!
    2. If it is used to cover building materials from the weather TOTALLY taxable!

Tax law is bullsh!t on purpose! It is made to be confusing on purpose (by BOTH PARTIES THANK YOU!)!
    The gov't hopes you will just give up and pay the tax, even if you don't owe it, because of the hassle and penalties if you put something wrong and it is found in an audit (again this was MT's point really).

9. Thanks Squatch347, MindTrap028 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Since you find that confusing let us revisit your claim:

"I disagree. Businesses give guarantees that you won't be audited. Seems like they think they are pretty certain. I'm not sure how tax professionals would feel about this statement and is it more conspiracy theory than reality."

Turbo Tax does not make this claim.
    You're saying that if TurboTax makes a istake in interpreting the tax code and that leads to your being audited they won't stand by their product?

That seems far fetched.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

That Turbo Tax (for an extra fee) will send a representative of their firm to go to the audit with you isn't even in the same Library as "guaranteeing you will not be audited"
    Turbo Tax will stand by their software during your audit, but they have no control how you plug the numbers in, so the tax return is still all you.
    MT's point (that started this) still stands.
    MT has a paranoid conspiracy theory which is unsupported and refuted by the enormity of the tax preparation industry which does just fine.

The extent of the guarantee is irrelevant - they aren't going to guarantee I won't get audited if I lie, for example.

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

This is a much different claim I have no issue with, since it appears you believe you could still be audited.
    When did I claim otherwise?

Post Thanks / Like

When did I claim otherwise?
    For god's sake....
    You:

"I disagree. Businesses give guarantees that you won't be audited"
    (Emphasis mine!)

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

MT has a paranoid conspiracy theory which is unsupported and refuted by the enormity of the tax preparation industry which does just fine.

Seriously, I didn't forward any conspiracy. Just the parameters of the law and how it can, and is applied.
    That isn't in any way shape or form, a conspiracy, and the fact that you think it is, is the exact reason why no one takes you serious.
    To serve man.

Post Thanks / Like

For god's sake....
    You:

(Emphasis mine!)
    How is that different?

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post

Seriously, I didn't forward any conspiracy.
    Sure you did, that they could get you at any time if they wanted to - as opposed to enforcing the law in a just manner.

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

If I buy a plastic tarp and I am a house builder, is it taxable or not?

Answer:
    1. If it is used under a concrete slab - NON taxable!
    2. If it is used to cover building materials from the weather TOTALLY taxable!
    Are you talking about sales tax?

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Sure you did, that they could get you at any time if they wanted to - as opposed to enforcing the law in a just manner.
    It isn't a conspiracy to say that everyone has violated the tax code, because the tax code can be applied "correctly" to everyone such that they are guilty of breaking it.
    To serve man.

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't a conspiracy to say that everyone has violated the tax code, because the tax code can be applied "correctly" to everyone such that they are guilty of breaking it.
    So those of us not having problems with the IRS aren't on the radar or aren't the ones "they're" out to "get"...that's a conspiracy theory. If not, everyone would be getting audited by your premise.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy
    So those of us not having problems with the IRS aren't on the radar or aren't the ones "they're" out to "get"...that's a conspiracy theory. If not, everyone would be getting audited by your premise.
    Why? That is your theory not mine.

Why is it a conspiracy to think that the IRS is prioritizing?
    Do the police pull you over for doing 1mile over the speed limit EVERY TIME(they could)? Couldn't they?
    To serve man.

Post Thanks / Like

Why? That is your theory not mine.

Why is it a conspiracy to think that the IRS is prioritizing?
    Do the police pull you over for doing 1mile over the speed limit EVERY TIME(they could)? Couldn't they?
    False analogy. I'd have to be speeding at all times according to your theory. And this is you theory, entirely.

And how do they prioritize? You said they could prosecute anyone if they wanted to - not that they had priorities. "if they were so inclined" I believe you said or something like that.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

No the anology would hold. You only had to speed in the time frame that they investigate. Where the anology breaks Down is that speeding does leave a paper trail.

As to the IRS being inclined or not. That is not a conspiracy at all. Some people get audited often. Others never.
    I am not forwarding any kind of politically driven motivation, or apparent malace of the system tewards people.

The point is that the tax code is Linda like other vague or open ended laws that expose basically everyone to prosecution.

I just read that if you access unsecured wifi, you are committing a felony under informations act.
    I ain't saying everyone has done that .. but I know a guy that totally isnt me at all, who has.

It is important to note that we aren't talking about what the IRS actually can prove, or that they are even trying to enforce.
    To serve man.

Post Thanks / Like

So what are the priorities?

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

So what are the priorities?
    The same thing it is in every gov organization pinky. Try to take over the world!!!
    Muhahahaha!

. but seriously.
    What do you mean? Are you unfamiliar with gov law enforcement agencies prioritizing resources? Is this a foreign concept to you so as to sound alien and "conspiratorial"?
    Or is it that you expect some kind of "official" list such as 1) Get trump and conservatives.. 2) Get that guy on 32nd street(Santa movie reference 3) Find Easter bunny, and Nail him for tax evasion.
    To serve man.

Post Thanks / Like

T
    . but seriously.
    What do you mean? Are you unfamiliar with gov law enforcement agencies prioritizing resources? Is this a foreign concept to you so as to sound alien and "conspiratorial"?
    Or is it that you expect some kind of "official" list such as 1) Get trump and conservatives.. 2) Get that guy on 32nd street(Santa movie reference 3) Find Easter bunny, and Nail him for tax evasion.
    Yes. I don't know what you mean. Explain.

Because we've moved from "they can get you at any time as they feel 'inclined'" to what I hope you are going to argue is some rational set of priorities.

Like maybe high up on the list would be someone who has contacts and business transactions overseas...with dubious actors looking to move large sums of cash from who knows where...into investments that require little regulation or oversight...like real estate.

---

To finish what I think you were saying. It's the complexity of the tax code that allows you to be prosecuted at any time and if the tax code was less complex they wouldn't be able to. Right?

Post Thanks / Like

How is that different?
    You are having trouble discerning the difference between:

and

"TaxResources, Inc., dba TaxAudit, will provide the audit defense services for the tax return described on the membership certificate in return for the applicable membership fee and compliance with all applicable terms of this agreement (the "Audit Defense Plan").

Your first claim is NO audit will happen period. Guaranteed
    Your second claim is IF you are audited a rep will go with you to the audit.

No business is going to make the first claim, it's ridiculous!

The IRS generally audits people that try to avail themselves of tax law to enjoy a lower tax burden (this is commonly referred to as "tax loopholes" by the left).
    After all, if you filed a 1040ez form there really isn't a reason to audit is there? Having said that, there is no American that can not be audited, so NO company would guarantee you won't be.

The laws concerning income tax deductions are complicated (on purpose). Rental properties and other types of investments have myriad possible deductions depending on your particular circumstances. If you have not been exposed to it, I could understand that you, well, just don't understand how burdensome and confusing it is until you live thru it.

Post Thanks / Like

Your first claim is NO audit will happen period. Guaranteed
    Your second claim is IF you are audited a rep will go with you to the audit.
    No, you're confused. I claimed that businesses give guarantees that you won't get audited without going into the details of what such a guarantee entails. As in the details.

To which you tried to claim that no businesses do such a thing and to which I provided support that they do with examples and the details.

You're welcome to go down the semantic rabbit hole about what the definition of the word guarantee is. Let's say warranty. Is that better?

Doesn't matter to the argument in which I have prevailed.

So we have a tax code that is understandable enough for an entire industry, full of professionals, to be built around it. One that is confident enough in its ability to understand the tax code to stand behind their work and products.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast