Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25
  1. #21
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ps. I lie you...or do i

    Quote Originally Posted by futureboy View Post
    It seems you've confused me for someone else, since I never made any statements in this thread regarding the trustworthiness of liars. My point was regarding what using the politician-liar adage indicates about the current political climate. Your #3 and repetition of the adage only illustrates my point further. Whether you do or don't support him, your appeal to past liars' misdeeds to try and lessen the or excuse impact his lies have on America is the issue. While I readily agree that there have been huge lies which have done harm in the past, the constant and unabated twisting of the truth which he employs has the potential to be just a harmful, if not more, considering his lies have been mostly just harmless bragging, and not the kind of big ambitious lies you've offered in comparison. Let's see what happens when he tries his hand at a doozie.
    In any case, I guess if you care more about sticking it to those pesky progressives than the humiliation Trump has brought on the nation, then I guess his lies are not a problem.
    I think I thought this was from your Snacking amigo. Anyhow....

    I am not claiming Trump does not lie. Even you acknowledge most of his lies fall into the harmless bragging category. When he tries his hand at a doozie, as you say, then fine. Not sure what you'll have proven at that point. I certainly don't doubt he isn't above the big lie. In my book, it is just kinda same-old, same-old. The thing is, most lies don't negatively impact America. Let's consider the biggest lies told by Presidents of the last 40-50 years.

    Here is a list of possible lies. I don't want to litigate them here. I'm putting things in here which may or may not have actually been lies, but that are statements often considered lies.

    1) Trump - Biggest inauguration ever.
    2) Obama - If you like your health plan...
    3) Obama - Benghazi and videotape
    4) Bush - Sadaam has weapons of mass destruction.
    5) Clinton - I did not have sex with that woman.
    6) Clinton - I didn't have sex with that woman either.
    7) Clinton - I didn't rape that woman.
    8) Clinton - Just kidding.
    9) Bush Sr. - Read my lips, no new taxes.
    10) Reagan - Iran-Contra
    11) Carter - Honestly, I cannot think of a single thing he did, said, or promised.
    12) Ford - See comments for Carter.
    13) Nixon - I am not a crook.
    14) Nixon - We are not in Cambodia.
    15) LBJ - Who died in Vietnam? Things are going great!

    I could keep going, but I just want to make a few points here and the think the list is good enough. I laugh at progressive histrionics because they are so devoid of any historical perspective. This war drum about Trump's lies as though the country will sink under the weight of his mistruths is absurd. Look at the above list. We have gotten through some, as you say, doozies. And these doozies cross party lines. I am not trying to lessen Trump's impact (or lessen the impact of Trump's lying). I don't think most lies told by Presidents have much impact at all. They are kinda like a blowjob from a cheap whore. Mostly harmless and once in a while they make you smile. On the other hand, sometimes, you walk away with gonorrhea. You roll the dice. But, most of the time the lie isn't spreading VD. It may make you a little sad, depressed, and/or lonely. Sure, sometimes, you are a little embarrassed. At the end of the day, its usually nothing that a good long, hot shower can't wash away. What I'm saying is that you have me all backwards. I'm not trying to lesson the impact of Trump's lies. I just don't have a whole lot of respect for U.S. Presidents in general and don't think they do much more than the occasional rub and tug down the street. So, yeah, I find the reaction people have to be deeply amusing.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  2. #22
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Posts
    7,229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ps. I lie you...or do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    I think I thought this was from your Snacking amigo. Anyhow....

    I am not claiming Trump does not lie. Even you acknowledge most of his lies fall into the harmless bragging category.
    I think that is one of the reasons he has such a terrible reputation for lying. In most presidential lies, they lie to protect themselves from serious political fallout, or they lie to try and preserve some policy they think is essential etc... Basically, they have some strong motivation to lie that has serious consequences. (mind you these are the worst lies for the same reason) But you can understand the motivation and see yourself perhaps also lying to try and achieve some end or to cover your ass.

    But Trump lies about just about everything. He makes **** up constantly, claiming things he simply wants to be true. It has that petty and pathological quality to it that just says, "this guy is totally full of **** all the time." He is a liar by nature rather than a liar by circumstance. A habitual liar rather than a calculated one.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

  3. Likes snackboy, Rodriguez liked this post
  4. #23
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ps. I lie you...or do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    I think that is one of the reasons he has such a terrible reputation for lying. In most presidential lies, they lie to protect themselves from serious political fallout, or they lie to try and preserve some policy they think is essential etc... Basically, they have some strong motivation to lie that has serious consequences. (mind you these are the worst lies for the same reason) But you can understand the motivation and see yourself perhaps also lying to try and achieve some end or to cover your ass.

    But Trump lies about just about everything. He makes **** up constantly, claiming things he simply wants to be true. It has that petty and pathological quality to it that just says, "this guy is totally full of **** all the time." He is a liar by nature rather than a liar by circumstance. A habitual liar rather than a calculated one.
    I see that. I really do. However, most stable people would listen to Trump and laugh. Take his claims with a grain of salt and admire the nice weather we're having. Progressives hear he caught a fish he claims is the biggest ever and they melt down screaming that all the fish must be dying. So, I do get your point. I'm just really entertained by the reaction his claims bring to the opposition despite how inconsequential his lies tend to be.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  5. #24
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Posts
    7,229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ps. I lie you...or do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    I see that. I really do. However, most stable people would listen to Trump and laugh. Take his claims with a grain of salt and admire the nice weather we're having.
    I'm a very stable person. I think having a pathological liar as president of the United States is a disgrace to the character of the nation and is very embarrassing and potentially very dangerous. Ethical people think it matters when you are a liar. Stable people worry about unstable people like Trump.

    Dullards and sheep simply accept such things and ignore politics for the weather or the latest sports scores.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

  6. #25
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ps. I lie you...or do i

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    I'm a very stable person. I think having a pathological liar as president of the United States is a disgrace to the character of the nation and is very embarrassing and potentially very dangerous. Ethical people think it matters when you are a liar. Stable people worry about unstable people like Trump.

    Dullards and sheep simply accept such things and ignore politics for the weather or the latest sports scores.
    So, it didn't worry you when past Presidents lied because you didn't believe they were pathological liars even though many times their lies amounted to very big issues and had important consequences? However, this president's lies are of grave concern because you believe he is pathological? Curiously, you've written off past presidents as not being pathological? And, of course, we are willing to make diagnoses even though none of us are actually qualified to do so. But, let's put aside the technicalities for now, as we are aiming to be intellectuals here and you believe previous lies told by previous Presidents were not embarrassing even when they were dangerous??? Or you believe being embarrassed is of greater importance then being put in danger? I'm just trying to work out how deep thinking and serious folk are putting the current presidency into perspective considering our checkered history of lying presidents. Really, I'm trying to work out what a lie which is potentially very dangerous could even mean. Is it like when I tell you can back up two more feet when clearly there is only a foot between your bumper and the other car's bumper but because of the slow speed the collision results in no damage. My law, therefore, was only potentially dangerous, but practically harmless. Help me to work this out.

    I mean, if you point to a particular Trump lie which has turned out to be dangerous, then perhaps we can find some common ground.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •