Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Boys Can Have Periods Too!

Here's another story demonstrating just how contorted the beliefs of the Left must be to support the fiction of "transgender".

Boys can have periods too, children to be taught in latest victory for transgender campaigners

School children will be taught that "all genders" can have periods in new sex education lessons, in a victory for transgender rights campaigners.

The advice to teachers was approved by Brighton & Hove City Council as they try to tackle stigma around menstruation.

The new advice follows a council report which said: "Trans boys and men and non-binary people may have periods", adding that "menstruation must be inclusive of all genders".

Bins used for menstruation products will be provided in all toilets for children, according to the report.

It also calls for transgender students and pupils to be provided with additional support from a school nurse if needed.

The report recommends that "language and learning about periods is inclusive of all genders, cultures, faiths and sexual orientations. For example; ‘girls and women and others who have periods'".

Brighton & Hove City Council said in a statement: "By encouraging effective education on menstruation and puberty, we hope to reduce stigma and ensure no child or young person feels shame in asking for period products inside or outside of school if they need them.

"We believe that it’s important for all genders to be able to learn and talk about menstruation together… Our approach recognises the fact that some people who have periods are trans or non-binary."

The same council also recently released a "Trans Inclusion Schools Toolkit" to help teachers treat gender identity sensitively.

It asks teachers to be respectful and inclusive of children who are questioning their gender, and tells them that purposefully not referring to children by their preferred pronoun or name can constitute harassment.

The toolkit also recommends schools adopt a non-gendered uniform so all children feel included, and to reduce bullying.

Tory MP David Davies told The Mail on Sunday that it was "insanity" for teachers to tell pupils that transgender boys can have periods.

He said: "Learning about periods is already a difficult subject for children that age, so to throw in the idea girls who believe they are boys also have periods will leave them completely confused."

However, leading doctors have previously recommended that primary school children are taught about LGBT issues.

Earlier this year, the Royal College of Paediatricians and Child Health (RCPCH) urged minister go further in their guidance on sex and relationship classes, which will become compulsory from 2020.

Draft Government recommendations say schools are free to determine how they address lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) issues, ensuring teaching is “sensitive and age-appropriate”.

The Royal College said: “There needs to be a clear statement that LGBT people and relationships are part of teaching about healthy relationships in primary school. This can be demonstrated in relation to families - but also it is helpful to children to learn the meaning of terms such as lesbian, gay and bisexual”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...y-transgender/

Should our schools teach that "Boys can have babies too"?
    Last edited by evensaul; December 16th, 2018 at 01:33 PM.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

Unless one really has a problem with the fact that some people are transgendered, I don't see what the problem is here.

I think perhaps one issue that might be causing some confusion is that of the term "gender". So here's a definition:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gender

"Either of the two sexes (male and female), especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones."

So there is a difference between biological sex (your chromosomes and birth characteristics) and gender and of course the article is referring to "gender" being based on the sex one identifies with instead of one's birth characteristics. So going by that, a "transgender boy" is a person who was born with "girl parts" but has adopted the gender of a boy and therefore is indeed a "boy" who can menstruate and even give birth to children.

Short of a flat-out refusal to allow gender to be based on anything other than one's birth characteristic (and such a choice is purely subjective and I've heard no good rationalization for doing that), I don't see a real problem with saying that transgendered boys can menstruate and give birth.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, dictionaries are bowing to the Left's agenda, and conflating gender with sex helps muddy the water. The Left's agenda only advances when definitions get confused and broadened to include nearly any possible interpretation, e.g. marriage. The lies of the left just keep on coming.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    e.g. marriage. The lies of the left just keep on coming.
    What lie concerning marriage are you referring to?
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    Unless one really has a problem with the fact that some people are transgendered, I don't see what the problem is here.
    What does transgendered have to with:
    "School children will be taught that "all genders" can have periods in new sex education lessons"

Clearly not everyone can have a period/menstruate! How can this be a discussion?

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Short of a flat-out refusal to allow gender to be based on anything other than one's birth characteristic
    Ok, bit this takes any real and useful meaning out of the terms it seems....

What useful definition can a term have if it is purely subjective? We would be better off not supposing a "gender" at all on anyone...

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    What does transgendered have to with:
    "School children will be taught that "all genders" can have periods in new sex education lessons"

Clearly not everyone can have a period/menstruate! How can this be a discussion?
    Not everyone but people of both genders can menstruate.

As an example, I know a transgendered male (son of a friend of mine). This person was born with female body parts but identifies as a male and therefore this person's gender is male. So this person of the male gender menstruates. And of course most people of the female gender have female bodies so they can menstruate as well.

So there are people of both genders that can menstruate (although most of them are of the female gender).

Ok, bit this takes any real and useful meaning out of the terms it seems....

What useful definition can a term have if it is purely subjective? We would be better off not supposing a "gender" at all on anyone...
    I don't see why not. There is value in knowing that I identify as a male and therefore am of the male gender. And this is not subjective. It is an objective fact that I identify as a male and therefore am of the male gender. And that likewise goes for my transgendered male friend.

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Yes, dictionaries are bowing to the Left's agenda, and conflating gender with sex helps muddy the water.
    I don't think the waters are muddy at all. If you mean that the reality of the situation is confusing, that's not the fault of the language but just reality.

The Left's agenda only advances when definitions get confused and broadened to include nearly any possible interpretation, e.g. marriage.
    I don't know what is suppose to be confusing (what's confusing you here?) and broadening terms to include people who should be included is a good thing.

The lies of the left just keep on coming.
    And the confusion of the right is rather unfortunate.

Post Thanks / Like

It is an objective fact that I identify as a male and therefore am of the male gender.
    What does "identify as a male" mean?

What is male?

If I decided I was female, what would I base that decision on?

When you say:
    "This person was born with female body parts but identifies as a male and therefore this person's gender is male."
    What does this mean, if "male" is defined by the individual?
    IOW, what is this "born with female body parts" identifying with? What is he/she deciding he/she is?

This sounds exactly like "double think" in the book "1984"...

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Not everyone but people of both genders can menstruate.
    The Op was clear about "all" so a lot of your commentary does not apply..

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

There is value in knowing that I identify as a male and therefore am of the male gender. And this is not subjective. It is an objective fact that I identify as a male and therefore am of the male gender.
    How is this objective?
    Last edited by Belthazor; December 16th, 2018 at 09:44 PM.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

What does "identify as a male" mean?

What is male?

If I decided I was female, what would I base that decision on?

When you say:
    "This person was born with female body parts but identifies as a male and therefore this person's gender is male."
    What does this mean, if "male" is defined by the individual?
    IOW, what is this "born with female body parts" identifying with? What is he/she deciding he/she is?
    If you are as confused on the issue as your questions seem to indicate that you are, I suggest you do some research on the issue.

But I will point out that your sex organs and your gender identity are not the same thing. So it does make sense to have different terms for those things. If a man loses his sex organs, like in an accident, he does not cease to identify as a man because he no longer has the organs so obviously his gender identity is not the same thing as having male sex organs.

This sounds exactly like "double think" in the book "1984"...
    No it doesn't. Please support.

The Op was clear about "all" so a lot of your commentary does not apply..
    Yes it does. "all" genders have individuals who can menstruate so all genders can menstruate. It did not say that "all" people can menstruate.

How is this objective?
    It's an observable fact that I identify as a male. I'm not sure on what basis one can logically say that that is not an objective fact.
    Last edited by mican333; December 17th, 2018 at 08:56 AM.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

One should note that Mican evades the simple question of "What is male?" because any answer he gives is problematic.

And he claims that it is a fact he identifies as male, without saying it is a fact he is male.

Identifying as a gender other than one's true sex is a fiction, requiring changing understood definitions of words, and evading straight answers to simple questions. Transgender is a fraud being perpetrated by the Left on people who don't know better. It is truly despicable. We shouldn't confuse children and their parents to let a small percentage of societal misfits feel good about themselves.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

One should note that Mican evades the simple question of "What is male?" because any answer he gives is problematic.
    Only to those who need simple answers to less than simple questions.

And he claims that it is a fact he identifies as male, without saying it is a fact he is male.
    Because the issue under discuss was gender identity.

Identifying as a gender other than one's true sex is a fiction, requiring changing understood definitions of words, and evading straight answers to simple questions.
    It's not a fiction that some people identify with a gender other than the one represented by the birth characteristics. It's a fiction to pretend that this is not so. We have to deal with reality as it is, not as we'd like it to be.

I mean gender identity and birth characteristics are indeed two different things, even for cisgendered people. I have a male gender identity and was born with a male body so in all relevant aspects I'm male. I don't see why it's so confusing to recognize them as two different things and give them two different names ("gender" for identity and "sex" for the body).

If it's too confusing for you to comprehend or you just want to ignore this, so be it. But it's alright to explain this to school children since it's true.

Transgender is a fraud being perpetrated by the Left on people who don't know better.
    How so? What objective untruth (fraud) is being forwarded? And please note that I said OBJECTIVE truth and therefore more of your opinion is not relevant to the question asked.

We shouldn't confuse children and their parents to let a small percentage of societal misfits feel good about themselves.
    Actually recognizing the truth is what will lessen confusion. It's an objective fact that some people identify as the gender that does not correspond with their birth sex. Pretending that that isn't so or just calling them names and insulting them (like "societal misfits") does not help clear up any confusion one might have on the issue.

11. Likes Sigfried liked this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

If some people began to species identify as a horses, even though they were born with human species body parts, would you support them in their species identification? Or would you think they were Loony Tunes?

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

If some people began to species identify as a horses, even though they were born with human species body parts, would you support them in their species identification?
    I'm not hearing a rebuttal to any argument I've made. So if you want to conflate species and gender for an argument, then make your argument and we'll see if it's at all valid.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I'll make my arguments the way I want to Mican. You're not running the show.

I see you once again evaded a simple question. Species identification is a valid comparison to gender identification. And you are transparently unable to cope with it.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I'll make my arguments the way I want to Mican.
    Sure. But if you are going to support a position, you do need to say something that will lead to a certain conclusion. Asking questions doesn't do that.

You're not running the show.
    You're not running the show either.

I see you once again evaded a simple question.
    Which I am entitled to do. As I said, you aren't running the show.

Species identification is a valid comparison to gender identification.
    Well, it depends on the argument one is making. They are similar is some ways and very different in other ways.

So whether the comparison is valid in a given argument depends on the argument itself.

So go ahead and make your argument and we'll see if I agree if the comparison is valid within your argument.

Or don't make an argument and the whole issue of comparison within an argument is moot because there is no argument.
    Last edited by mican333; December 18th, 2018 at 09:02 AM.

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

While I'm sympathetic to the issues here, I worry that they shoot themselves in the foot with stuff like this. I mean, when you're talking about menstruation, you should be talking about a biological function of reproductive organs, not social inclusion. This kind of forced inclusion, from my point of view, sets the left up to be ruthlessly mocked by setting up a minefield of ridiculous contradictions (Ex: Gender has nothing do with biology, but somehow hormone therapy and sex-reassignment surgery are things). WHY are we talking about social inclusion in biology class? Or, WHY are we talking about biological function in sociology class? The whole thing feels forced and unnecessary.

Also, one of the issues I have with the left right now is that there don't seem to be any constraining limitations to just how open-minded people should be - Evensaul's comment about species dysphoria isn't something that can be blithely pushed aside (and I'm speaking generally; I don't mean to suggest that Mican was blithe at all). It's a real phenomenon, and one dynamic that the left tends to ignore is IF and WHEN we should try to identify and understand circumstances where people genuinely need help in dealing with how they interact with the world.

Insofar as we are obliged to treat people with kindness, understanding, fairness, equity and so on, are we not also obliged to at the very least open the door to the discussion as to whether people are engaging the world in a healthy way? In my view, the left keeping the door so tightly closed to discussion about gender-weirdness (I don't know what else to call it) is just as dumb and short-sighted as the right keeping the door closed on discussions about rules around guns.

17. Thanks Squatch347, Apokalupsis, evensaul thanked for this post
    Likes theophilus, Sigfried liked this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

And I thought I was creating a hypothetical. These people really exist, and are no different than supposed transgenders. They're all delusional.

Otherkin Are People Too; They Just Identify as Nonhuman

Otherkin are people who identify as partially or entirely nonhuman. A dragon, a lion, a fox—you name it—there is probably someone out there who feels like they are more these things than they are human. The otherkin community can be found lurking on Reddit, Tumblr, TV Tropes, and other online forums.

The popularity of the otherkin phenomena seems to have been steadily increasing—particularly on Tumblr—since 2012. But what does it mean to truly believe you're nonhuman? Do people genuinely wake up one day and think that they are a fox or is this just a bizarre form of escapism? Is it body dysmorphia or fantasy?

I spoke to John on Reddit, a 19-year-old from Knoxville, USA, known on the web as Noslavic. He introduced himself: "I am a red fox-kin who was, as we call, awakened about a year ago." He said that awakening felt, "at the very least, relieving," because "everything seemed to come together for me.

"I started getting odd dreams where I would change physically into a fox, and they were very realistic—honestly. And after a while, in real life, it felt quite real, like I actually had a tail, I actually had ears, I actually had paws.

"At first it was one of those things that I freaked out over, and then after a while it was like ah... I'm just gonna play with my tail for a minute." Every so often, John says he gets mental shifts: "I could just be at home, and all of a sudden, click, the fox part of me just kind of comes out for a while, and then it just goes." ... https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/m...you-want-to-be

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

And I thought I was creating a hypothetical. These people really exist, and are no different than supposed transgenders.
    Of course they are different. Since gender and species are two different things, there is an obvious difference between the two. So the statement that they are no different is clearly false.

They're all delusional.
    Support or retract that transgendered people are delusional.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Of course they are different. Since gender and species are two different things, there is an obvious difference between the two. So the statement that they are no different is clearly false.
    It's scary that you might actually believe this.

Support or retract that transgendered people are delusional.
    It is manifest. I notice that you don't ask for support that Otherkin are delusional. So you know their beliefs are indefensible.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

It's scary that you might actually believe this.
    It's "scary" that I believe that gender and species are two different things?

It's plainly obvious that they are different. Me being the species of human and me being the gender of male are two different things. It's not scary, it's obvious.

It is manifest.
    That is not support. So again, support or retract that transgendered people are delusional.

I notice that you don't ask for support that Otherkin are delusional.
    That's because this debate is not about whether Otherkin or delusional or not. I actually have no position regarding them at this time.

If you make some coherent argument that is on-topic regarding transgendered and requires me to assess whether Otherkin are delusional or not, then I will concern myself with that issue.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

It's "scary" that I believe that gender and species are two different things?

It's plainly obvious that they are different. Me being the species of human and me being the gender of male are two different things. It's not scary, it's obvious.
    I’m not going to waste time on your pedantic maneuvering.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast