Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 146

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Here's another story demonstrating just how contorted the beliefs of the Left must be to support the fiction of "transgender".

    Boys can have periods too, children to be taught in latest victory for transgender campaigners

    School children will be taught that "all genders" can have periods in new sex education lessons, in a victory for transgender rights campaigners.

    The advice to teachers was approved by Brighton & Hove City Council as they try to tackle stigma around menstruation.

    The new advice follows a council report which said: "Trans boys and men and non-binary people may have periods", adding that "menstruation must be inclusive of all genders".

    Bins used for menstruation products will be provided in all toilets for children, according to the report.

    It also calls for transgender students and pupils to be provided with additional support from a school nurse if needed.

    The report recommends that "language and learning about periods is inclusive of all genders, cultures, faiths and sexual orientations. For example; ‘girls and women and others who have periods'".

    Brighton & Hove City Council said in a statement: "By encouraging effective education on menstruation and puberty, we hope to reduce stigma and ensure no child or young person feels shame in asking for period products inside or outside of school if they need them.

    "We believe that it’s important for all genders to be able to learn and talk about menstruation together… Our approach recognises the fact that some people who have periods are trans or non-binary."

    The same council also recently released a "Trans Inclusion Schools Toolkit" to help teachers treat gender identity sensitively.

    It asks teachers to be respectful and inclusive of children who are questioning their gender, and tells them that purposefully not referring to children by their preferred pronoun or name can constitute harassment.

    The toolkit also recommends schools adopt a non-gendered uniform so all children feel included, and to reduce bullying.

    Tory MP David Davies told The Mail on Sunday that it was "insanity" for teachers to tell pupils that transgender boys can have periods.

    He said: "Learning about periods is already a difficult subject for children that age, so to throw in the idea girls who believe they are boys also have periods will leave them completely confused."

    However, leading doctors have previously recommended that primary school children are taught about LGBT issues.

    Earlier this year, the Royal College of Paediatricians and Child Health (RCPCH) urged minister go further in their guidance on sex and relationship classes, which will become compulsory from 2020.

    Draft Government recommendations say schools are free to determine how they address lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) issues, ensuring teaching is “sensitive and age-appropriate”.

    The Royal College said: “There needs to be a clear statement that LGBT people and relationships are part of teaching about healthy relationships in primary school. This can be demonstrated in relation to families - but also it is helpful to children to learn the meaning of terms such as lesbian, gay and bisexual”.

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...y-transgender/


    Should our schools teach that "Boys can have babies too"?
    Last edited by evensaul; December 16th, 2018 at 12:33 PM.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

  2. #2
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Unless one really has a problem with the fact that some people are transgendered, I don't see what the problem is here.

    I think perhaps one issue that might be causing some confusion is that of the term "gender". So here's a definition:

    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gender

    "Either of the two sexes (male and female), especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones."

    So there is a difference between biological sex (your chromosomes and birth characteristics) and gender and of course the article is referring to "gender" being based on the sex one identifies with instead of one's birth characteristics. So going by that, a "transgender boy" is a person who was born with "girl parts" but has adopted the gender of a boy and therefore is indeed a "boy" who can menstruate and even give birth to children.

    Short of a flat-out refusal to allow gender to be based on anything other than one's birth characteristic (and such a choice is purely subjective and I've heard no good rationalization for doing that), I don't see a real problem with saying that transgendered boys can menstruate and give birth.

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    Unless one really has a problem with the fact that some people are transgendered, I don't see what the problem is here.
    What does transgendered have to with:
    "School children will be taught that "all genders" can have periods in new sex education lessons"

    Clearly not everyone can have a period/menstruate! How can this be a discussion?

    ---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    Short of a flat-out refusal to allow gender to be based on anything other than one's birth characteristic
    Ok, bit this takes any real and useful meaning out of the terms it seems....

    What useful definition can a term have if it is purely subjective? We would be better off not supposing a "gender" at all on anyone...

  4. #4
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    What does transgendered have to with:
    "School children will be taught that "all genders" can have periods in new sex education lessons"

    Clearly not everyone can have a period/menstruate! How can this be a discussion?
    Not everyone but people of both genders can menstruate.

    As an example, I know a transgendered male (son of a friend of mine). This person was born with female body parts but identifies as a male and therefore this person's gender is male. So this person of the male gender menstruates. And of course most people of the female gender have female bodies so they can menstruate as well.

    So there are people of both genders that can menstruate (although most of them are of the female gender).



    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    Ok, bit this takes any real and useful meaning out of the terms it seems....

    What useful definition can a term have if it is purely subjective? We would be better off not supposing a "gender" at all on anyone...
    I don't see why not. There is value in knowing that I identify as a male and therefore am of the male gender. And this is not subjective. It is an objective fact that I identify as a male and therefore am of the male gender. And that likewise goes for my transgendered male friend.

    ---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Yes, dictionaries are bowing to the Left's agenda, and conflating gender with sex helps muddy the water.
    I don't think the waters are muddy at all. If you mean that the reality of the situation is confusing, that's not the fault of the language but just reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    The Left's agenda only advances when definitions get confused and broadened to include nearly any possible interpretation, e.g. marriage.
    I don't know what is suppose to be confusing (what's confusing you here?) and broadening terms to include people who should be included is a good thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    The lies of the left just keep on coming.
    And the confusion of the right is rather unfortunate.

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    It is an objective fact that I identify as a male and therefore am of the male gender.
    What does "identify as a male" mean?

    What is male?

    If I decided I was female, what would I base that decision on?

    When you say:
    "This person was born with female body parts but identifies as a male and therefore this person's gender is male."
    What does this mean, if "male" is defined by the individual?
    IOW, what is this "born with female body parts" identifying with? What is he/she deciding he/she is?

    This sounds exactly like "double think" in the book "1984"...

    ---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    Not everyone but people of both genders can menstruate.
    The Op was clear about "all" so a lot of your commentary does not apply..

    ---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    There is value in knowing that I identify as a male and therefore am of the male gender. And this is not subjective. It is an objective fact that I identify as a male and therefore am of the male gender.
    How is this objective?
    Last edited by Belthazor; December 16th, 2018 at 08:44 PM.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    What does "identify as a male" mean?

    What is male?

    If I decided I was female, what would I base that decision on?

    When you say:
    "This person was born with female body parts but identifies as a male and therefore this person's gender is male."
    What does this mean, if "male" is defined by the individual?
    IOW, what is this "born with female body parts" identifying with? What is he/she deciding he/she is?
    If you are as confused on the issue as your questions seem to indicate that you are, I suggest you do some research on the issue.

    But I will point out that your sex organs and your gender identity are not the same thing. So it does make sense to have different terms for those things. If a man loses his sex organs, like in an accident, he does not cease to identify as a man because he no longer has the organs so obviously his gender identity is not the same thing as having male sex organs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    This sounds exactly like "double think" in the book "1984"...
    No it doesn't. Please support.



    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    The Op was clear about "all" so a lot of your commentary does not apply..
    Yes it does. "all" genders have individuals who can menstruate so all genders can menstruate. It did not say that "all" people can menstruate.




    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    How is this objective?
    It's an observable fact that I identify as a male. I'm not sure on what basis one can logically say that that is not an objective fact.
    Last edited by mican333; December 17th, 2018 at 07:56 AM.

  7. #7
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    One should note that Mican evades the simple question of "What is male?" because any answer he gives is problematic.

    And he claims that it is a fact he identifies as male, without saying it is a fact he is male.

    Identifying as a gender other than one's true sex is a fiction, requiring changing understood definitions of words, and evading straight answers to simple questions. Transgender is a fraud being perpetrated by the Left on people who don't know better. It is truly despicable. We shouldn't confuse children and their parents to let a small percentage of societal misfits feel good about themselves.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

  8. #8
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    One should note that Mican evades the simple question of "What is male?" because any answer he gives is problematic.
    Only to those who need simple answers to less than simple questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    And he claims that it is a fact he identifies as male, without saying it is a fact he is male.
    Because the issue under discuss was gender identity.


    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Identifying as a gender other than one's true sex is a fiction, requiring changing understood definitions of words, and evading straight answers to simple questions.
    It's not a fiction that some people identify with a gender other than the one represented by the birth characteristics. It's a fiction to pretend that this is not so. We have to deal with reality as it is, not as we'd like it to be.

    I mean gender identity and birth characteristics are indeed two different things, even for cisgendered people. I have a male gender identity and was born with a male body so in all relevant aspects I'm male. I don't see why it's so confusing to recognize them as two different things and give them two different names ("gender" for identity and "sex" for the body).

    If it's too confusing for you to comprehend or you just want to ignore this, so be it. But it's alright to explain this to school children since it's true.

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Transgender is a fraud being perpetrated by the Left on people who don't know better.
    How so? What objective untruth (fraud) is being forwarded? And please note that I said OBJECTIVE truth and therefore more of your opinion is not relevant to the question asked.



    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    We shouldn't confuse children and their parents to let a small percentage of societal misfits feel good about themselves.
    Actually recognizing the truth is what will lessen confusion. It's an objective fact that some people identify as the gender that does not correspond with their birth sex. Pretending that that isn't so or just calling them names and insulting them (like "societal misfits") does not help clear up any confusion one might have on the issue.

  9. #9
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    If you are as confused on the issue as your questions seem to indicate that you are, I suggest you do some research on the issue.
    Evasive. Irrelevant. Why did you even bother?

    What does "identify as male" mean?
    Should be an easy answer given your posts....

    ---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    It's an observable fact that I identify as a male. I'm not sure on what basis one can logically say that that is not an objective fact.
    I asked "how is this objective" not "observable".

    1. When you "identify as male" what does that mean?

    2. When a person can identify as they wish, and change that identity at any time, that clearly is the definition of subjective!
    2a. or you need to define "objective", cause you are currently making 0 (as in no) sense to me.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    Evasive. Irrelevant. Why did you even bother?
    Well, I was evading answering six separate questions as well I should. I am certainly under no obligation to answer every question you might ask.

    If you are going to narrow it down to one question, I'll respond.


    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    What does "identify as male" mean?
    Should be an easy answer given your posts....
    To identify as male is to consider oneself to be a male.

    As an example, you consider yourself to be male and therefore you identify as male.



    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    I asked "how is this objective" not "observable".
    Observed reality qualifies as objective fact. That fact that you are seeing a computer screen right now makes it an objective fact that you are looking at a computer. And the fact that you can observe that you identify as male makes it an objective fact that you identify as male.


    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    2. When a person can identify as they wish, and change that identity at any time, that clearly is the definition of subjective!
    Sure. But then all evidence points to one not being able to just change their gender identity at any time.

    Can YOU decide, right now, to change your gender identity? Of course not. Of course you can put on a dress and say "I'm a girl" but it's pretty obvious that you would not actually believe that you are a girl and would still, if you are being honest with yourself, consider yourself a man. Even if you had gender reassignment surgery and replaced your penis with a vagina, you would consider yourself to be a "man with a vagina" instead of an actual woman.

    So I very much doubt that you, me, or anyone else can just change their gender identity by simple choice.

    And you are going to argue that a person can just change their gender identity by simple choice, please support that position.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Belthazor.

    I guess you weren't satisfied with my last post but I assure you that I gave the best answer I could. Again,

    To self-identify as something means that one think that he/she is that something.

    So if one identifies as male, then they consider themselves to be male.

    I honestly don't know what other answer to give.

    Or are you trying to ask me what causes one to identify as a certain gender? I'll give you an honest answer to that question. The answer is I don't know and I don't think there is a scientific consensus on the answer. I did a bit of research and found an article that indicated that a trans man's brain has a physical structure similar to a cis man's brain so that seems to indicate that the reason one identifies as a certain gender is because of the physical structure of the brain so to put in simple terms a trans man is a person with a man's body and a woman's brain. But again, I don't think a solid conclusion has been reached.

    So hopefully that clears up any misunderstanding. I was trying to give a good answer.
    Last edited by mican333; December 19th, 2018 at 08:11 PM.

  12. #12
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    ….. I don't see a real problem with saying that transgendered boys can menstruate and give birth.
    Ok, no problem with most people them I think,

    1. transgendered boys can have a period
    2. boys can not have a period

  13. #13
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    Ok, no problem with most people them I think,

    1. transgendered boys can have a period
    2. boys can not have a period
    As written, those two points contradict each other. If boys cannot have period, then transgendered boys can't have periods. So either 1 is wrong or 2 is wrong.

    That can be fixed by making it:

    1. transgendered boys can have a period
    2. cisgendered boys can not have a period

  14. #14
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    As written, those two points contradict each other. If boys cannot have period, then transgendered boys can't have periods. So either 1 is wrong or 2 is wrong.
    A transgendered boy is physically a girl per you and decided "they" wanted to be seen as a boy. Fine.
    Boys born as boys are not capable of a period no matter what gender they decide they are.

    ---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    1. transgendered boys can have a period
    2. cisgendered boys can not have a period
    Long way around, but no issue can see

  15. #15
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    A transgendered boy is physically a girl per you and decided "they" wanted to be seen as a boy. Fine.
    Boys born as boys are not capable of a period no matter what gender they decide they are.
    Sure. But the issue how do we define what is a "boy" and the school in the OP has chosen to define based on gender identity instead of "born as". And I don't see anything particularly wrong with that.

  16. #16
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    Sure.
    I like it.
    Then boys can not have periods, transgendered boys can.

    ---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    Sure. But the issue how do we define what is a "boy"
    You already have, several times in this thread:

    "Once you get the concept of identifying as a particular gender and you get the concept that the identity does not always match the birth sex, then the concept of "transgender" is pretty easy to understand."

    In your words here "birth sex", not the decided gender. Fairly clear (in a liberal speak kinda way).

  17. #17
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    I like it.
    Then boys can not have periods, transgendered boys can.
    Again, those statements contradict each other.

    If boys cannot have periods, the ALL boys, including transgendered boys, cannot have periods

    If transgender boys can have periods, then SOME boys can have periods.

    Unless you are going to hold that transgendered boys are not boys, then you have to agree that some boys can have periods.



    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    You already have, several times in this thread:

    "Once you get the concept of identifying as a particular gender and you get the concept that the identity does not always match the birth sex, then the concept of "transgender" is pretty easy to understand."

    In your words here "birth sex", not the decided gender. Fairly clear (in a liberal speak kinda way).
    My statement mentions birth sex but it certainly doesn't say that that is the criteria we must use.

  18. #18
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    Again, those statements contradict each other.
    You are incorrect, see below

    ---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    Unless you are going to hold that transgendered boys are not boys, then you have to agree that some boys can have periods.

    This is an example of doublethink

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublethink
    Doublethink is the act of simultaneously accepting two mutually contradictory beliefs as correct, often in distinct social contexts.

    ---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    Again, those statements contradict each other.
    In this case trans means to identify as that which you are not.

    Per you, post #2
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gender

    "Either of the two sexes (male and female), especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones."


    So we have established there are TWO sexes (that some are born both or neither doesn't change this).

    To be a trans boy by definition means you are NOT a boy (though you identify as one), the criteria that you want to use to differentiate boys from girls doesn't change anything!

    Otherwise you are saying a person can be "A" and not "A" at the same time.

  19. #19
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Yes, dictionaries are bowing to the Left's agenda, and conflating gender with sex helps muddy the water. The Left's agenda only advances when definitions get confused and broadened to include nearly any possible interpretation, e.g. marriage. The lies of the left just keep on coming.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

  20. #20
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,802
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Boys Can Have Periods Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    e.g. marriage. The lies of the left just keep on coming.
    What lie concerning marriage are you referring to?
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

 

 
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Time for some encouraging news boys and girls!
    By cstamford in forum Shootin' the Breeze / Off-Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 10th, 2014, 02:44 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 11th, 2011, 03:40 PM
  3. Backstreet Boys?
    By Mr. Hyde in forum Shootin' the Breeze / Off-Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: November 28th, 2006, 10:42 PM
  4. Hello Again, Boys And Girls
    By DeviantNorm in forum Shootin' the Breeze / Off-Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 20th, 2005, 10:00 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •