Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

I've been given a "timeout"

Post Thanks / Like

Lying Trump Lies to the Troops

Trump misleads about military pay raises during visit to Iraq

"President Donald Trump incorrectly told troops in Iraq on Wednesday that he gave them their first pay raise in more than 10 years — a falsehood he has repeatedly told.

Speaking to troops at Al Asad Air Base during his surprise visit to Iraq, Trump told troops: “You protect us. We are always going to protect you. And you just saw that, ’cause you just got one of the biggest pay raises you’ve ever received. … You haven’t gotten one in more than 10 years. More than 10 years. And we got you a big one. I got you a big one. I got you a big one.”

In fact, military pay has increased every year for more than three decades. It was raised 2.4% in 2018 and then 2.6% in the 2019 National Defense Authorization Act. The 2.6% pay raise is the largest in the past 9 years.

The President and first lady quietly swept into Iraq on Wednesday to pay a holiday visit to US troops — the first trip Trump has made to a war zone.

“They had plenty of people that came up, they said, ‘You know, we could make it smaller. We could make it 3%, we could make it 2%, we could make it 4%,'” Trump told the troops about the latest pay raise. “I said, ‘No. Make it 10%. Make it more than 10%.'”

“Cause it’s been a long time, it’s been more than 10 years. Been more than 10 years, that’s a long time,” Trump said, repeating the false claim."

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lying Trump Lies to the Troops

It's nice of him to go visit the troops overseas. So good on them for that. But it would have gone a bit better if he just didn't open his mouth and let his stupid hang out so much.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

3. Likes Squatch347, theophilus liked this post
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say, I certainly enjoy the entertainment. Trump just drives the media nutz, and just enough justifiably so (IE sigs comment about stupid hanging out is fair), that they go over the edge way more than necessary.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.f0984478cfd9
    Quote Originally Posted by link
    NBC News has changed its headline to this formulation: “Trump becomes first president since 2002 not to visit troops on or before Christmas.” Better, not best.

The new version also includes an expanded editor’s note explaining other changes needed to align the piece with Trump’s unannounced departure:
    I can't wait for more fire works.
    To serve man.

5. Likes theophilus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    I have to say, I certainly enjoy the entertainment. Trump just drives the media nutz, and just enough justifiably so (IE sigs comment about stupid hanging out is fair), that they go over the edge way more than necessary.
    So in the alternative facts universe he's justified in lying to the troops. Got it.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    So in the alternative facts universe he's justified in lying to the troops. Got it.
    No, man. He's just saying that the there Trumps foolishness gets more attention than it warrants.

I agree to an extent. Partly because his foolishness is so commonplace.

But I also think we have to consider just how powerful Trump is, what impact he can have on the world and its people and that such consistent bad judgment and lack of character is worrying in someone so powerful and important.

Then again, all presidents are fundamentally human. This is the ethos of the American public servant. And he does represent the foolishness of a good number of people who chose him to represent them. The frustration at this in others manifests as perhaps more hand-wringing that is really waranted if we accept the true nature of democracy.

8. Thanks MindTrap028 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    No, man. He's just saying that the there Trumps foolishness gets more attention than it warrants.
    You're saying he misspoke or didn't really know what he was saying?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Cowbay, if Trump was a liberal advancing the agenda of the Left, you wouldn't give a sh1t about any of the stuff you post. You'd just laugh at anyone who criticized him, because you'd know he was doing what you wanted on important issues. So when you and the media go crazy about every little thing you can criticize, we just think HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. TFB. Obama's "legacy" is getting wiped out a little more every month, and that's what we really wanted. Watching you and your ilk with your hair on fire is a nice bonus.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...ught-on-video/
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

You're saying he misspoke or didn't really know what he was saying?
    I have no clue what is in his idiot's head. He lies reflexively. He may have thought it was true, but only because he wanted it to be.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Cowbay, if Trump was a liberal advancing the agenda of the Left, you wouldn't give a sh1t about any of the stuff you post. You'd just laugh at anyone who criticized him, because you'd know he was doing what you wanted on important issues. So when you and the media go crazy about every little thing you can criticize, we just think HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. TFB. Obama's "legacy" is getting wiped out a little more every month, and that's what we really wanted. Watching you and your ilk with your hair on fire is a nice bonus.
    And if he were a liberal you would be howling in rage at how terrible the liberals are and pointing to him as an example. Watching your ilk embarrass themselves with support for such an idiot and show complete moral bankrupsy is just as amusing I assure you.

12. Thanks futureboy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cowbay, if Trump was a liberal advancing the agenda of the Left, you wouldn't give a sh1t about any of the stuff you post.
    Probably true, but it'd be you that'd be pointing out all the lies, right.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

[QUOTE=evensaul;562921]Obama's "legacy" is getting wiped out a little more every month, and that's what we really wanted. Watching you and your ilk with your hair on fire is a nice bonus.

It is refreshing to hear you admit you can't stand it that a black was president, an effective one at that.

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

He lies reflexively.
    I see that, and that he gets away with it, as a problem and dangerous. One thing it shows how controlled the media is by the right...Obama couldn't get away with wearing a tan suit or ordering french mustard.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

and show complete moral bankrupsy
    This is pretty rich coming from a guy who believes in killing unborn children, divorce on demand, premarital sex, homosexual "marriage" and probably stands way left on a lot more morality issues, who pretends to be a moderate who is conservative on some issues, but probably never ever made a conservative argument on anything important.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

It is refreshing to hear you admit you can't stand it that a black was president, an effective one at that.
    A typical liberal argument - can't post a rational argument but substitutes a claim of racism. Have you ever posted a thought without it being lifted from the tired old playbook of the Left?
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

A typical liberal argument - can't post a rational argument but substitutes a claim of racism. Have you ever posted a thought without it being lifted from the tired old playbook of the Left?
    You'd have to have an argument against Obama's "legacy" first. Until then it is just your racism.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

More proof that you’ve got nothing to offer. Zero. Nada.

Post Thanks / Like

More proof that you’ve got nothing to offer. Zero. Nada.
    Thanks for proving my point for me.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Watching your ilk embarrass themselves with support for such an idiot and show complete moral bankrupsy is just as amusing I assure you.
    It isn't just the lunatic Left refusing to serve people wearing MAGA hats or Trump t-shirts. The entire Democrat party has thrown away every moral or political touchstone and replaced them with an overriding resistance to Trump and opposition to whatever position Trump takes. This assessment from Johnathan Turley, himself a liberal, who bemoans the direction of the Democrat party:

In this age of rage, voters seem to have no patience, let alone need, for leaders speaking of abstract principles. They want immediate unequivocal action in supporting or opposing President Trump. For Democrats, that all consuming purpose has led to the abandonment of core unifying values, including many that first drew me to the Democratic Party. While they would vehemently deny it, Trump is remaking the party in his inverse image. This past month shows how far that transformation has gone.

The remaking of the Democratic Party was evident last week with the reaction to the decision to withdraw troops from Syria. There was a time when a sizable number of Democrats opposed undeclared wars and unending military campaigns. Now, they are appalled that Trump would not continue a war in one of the myriad countries with American troops engaged in combat operations. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi called the withdrawal a “Christmas gift to Vladimir Putin,” while Tim Kaine, David Cicilline, and other Democrats called it “irresponsible” or “hasty.”

Of course, this “hasty” move is after seven years of intervention in the civil war, including personnel on the ground since 2012. Our military also has been in Iraq since 2003 and in Afghanistan since 2001. One study estimated the costs of the wars in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan at $5.6 trillion. More importantly, thousands of military personnel have been killed and tens of thousands have been wounded. Yet, Democrats now espouse the same lines denounced during the Bush administration.

Popular cable programs with Democratic and liberal viewers are equally full of recriminations over withdrawing from these wars. MSNBC host Rachel Maddow criticized the plan to withdraw troops as merely an effort to distract the public, despite Trump campaigning in 2016 on promises to withdraw from such wars. “Morning Joe” host and former Republican congressman Joe Scarborough denounced the president as a “quivering coward” who failed to understand that we must fight “enemies like ISIS abroad, so we do not have to fight them in our own schools, churches and airports.” Liberals once rejected the premise that we should engage in continual wars in other countries or face terrorism on our streets at home.

Democrats are now defined by Trump the way that antimatter is defined by matter, with each particle of matter corresponding to an antiparticle. Take the secrecy. Democrats once were the party that fought against the misuse of secret classification laws by the FBI and other agencies. They demanded greater transparency from the executive branch, which is a position that I have readily supported. Yet, when oversight committees sought documents related to the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act investigation of Trump associates, Democrats denounced the very thought that Republicans would question the judgment of the FBI that any such disclosures would be tantamount to jeopardizing national security.

Democratic Party leaders including Pelosi declared that the oversight committees had moved beyond “dangerous irresponsibility and disregard for our national security” and “disregarded the warnings of the Justice Department and the FBI.” Likewise, House Intelligence Committee ranking minority member Adam Schiff expressed shock that the FBI was not given deference in withholding the information in the surveillance investigation.

Yet, when the information was finally forced out of the FBI, including the disclosure of previously redacted material, it was clear that the FBI had engaged in overclassification to shield not national security but to shield the bureau itself from criticism. It included discussion of the roles of high ranking FBI officials and their reliance on such sources as the Christopher Steele dossier, which were already publicly known. Democratic House members like Schiff presumably knew what was in the redactions and, nevertheless, wanted deference to the classification decisions of the FBI.

In supporting the investigation of Trump, Democrats have embraced expanding definitions of crimes like obstruction, conspiracy, and the like. Historically, Democrats have resisted such efforts to stretch the criminal code to criminalize broader and broader areas of conduct. During the Trump administration, Democrats sound like legal hawks in demanding criminal charges for conduct long treated as civil matters, such as campaign finance violations and foreign agent registration violations.

In pursuing Trump, Democrats have also adopted a type of “red scare” mindset. While Republicans long pumped up the Russian menace as a political Cold War narrative, Democrats are now adopting the same type of rhetoric over the Russian attempt to interfere with the 2016 president election. Democrats for the past two years speak about how Russians “stole” the election or destroyed the legitimacy of the results, with little empirical data to support such irresponsible and unfounded claims.

While many of us support the Mueller investigation and the need for sanctions against Russia for its interference, Democrats now routinely refer to Russia as our “enemy” and accuse any people with alleged connections to Russians as “traitors.” Special counsel Robert Mueller may have more to reveal on Russian hacking, but there is little evidence that either the trolling operation or leaked emails of the Hillary Clinton campaign had a material impact on the 2016 presidential election.

In building up the Russian menace, Democrats ignore that we have not only hacked the emails of our enemies but of our allies as well for years. Moreover, we have routinely intervened in or influenced foreign elections. Likewise, other nations from Israel to Mexico to China and many more, have long tried to influence our elections. Still, Democrats are escalating their calls for greater action against Russia, including criticism of being too dovish in not confronting Russian military elements around the world.

A party requires more than hatred for an individual. A party has to stand for something that transcends the immediate or the visceral. Yet, in the age of Trump, the public is not interested in nuance or niceties. The watchword is “resist” and that means to push back at all costs, even against our core values. So the question is not what the Democratic Party will do but what it will be after Donald Trump eventually leaves office.

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-ho...-the-democrats

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/12/3...es-their-party

Post Thanks / Like

Of course, this “hasty” move is after seven years of intervention in the civil war, including personnel on the ground since 2012.

Who was the president in 2012?

*mic drop*

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't just the lunatic Left refusing to serve people wearing MAGA hats or Trump t-shirts.
    It isn't just the lunatic right that calls black people niggers in private either.

As to that article, the left is hardly the party of peace in the middle east. Plenty of Democrats supported the Iraq war. Many of our nations military engagements were started by and continued by mainstream Democrats. It was never the party of peace. There have always been liberals who are staunchly anti-war, and I've personally seen many of them aplaud Trumps limited withdrawl from the middle east. I've also seen many republicans critiquing it harshly.

None of this changes the fact that Trump is a moron and a fool. That does not mean everything he does is bad. But his stupidity is evident nearly every time he opens his mouth or fires up his twitter account.

21. Likes CowboyX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Let's be glad there's still adults in government that don't follow his ridiculous orders.

He'll pee all over the troops if given the chance:

Navy Admits Request to Hide USS John McCain During Trump Visit

The U.S. Navy confirmed that all the reports were true and the White House had requested to hide the USS John S. McCain during President Donald Trump’s state visit to Japan. “A request was made to the U.S. Navy to minimize the visibility of USS John S. McCain, however, all ships remained in their normal configuration during the President’s visit,” Rear Adm. Charlie Brown, chief of Navy information, said in a statement. “There were also no intentional efforts to explicitly exclude Sailors assigned to USS John S. McCain.”

The acknowledgement came shortly after acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan called for an investigation of the incident. “Our business is to run military operations and not become politicized,” Shanahan told reporters in Singapore. “I would not have moved the ship.” The controversy over the request began earlier this week when the Wall Street Journal reported that the White House wanted the destroyer to be moved “out of sight” during the president’s visit. In the statement, Brown said the Navy is “fully cooperating with the review of this matter.”

According to earlier reports, the request to hide the ship came from the White House military operations office. And it seems the Navy initially tried to comply with the request. Although the USS John S. McCain was under repairs and moving It would have been impractical, its name was temporarily hidden by a giant tarp. Once higher ups got wind of what was going on they called the whole thing off. But the question remains about whether sailors from the USS McCain were deliberately kept away from Trump’s speech. Some say they were turned away, but officials insist that if that happened it was solely due to a space issue and not because their uniforms include the ship’s name.

Trump has denied he knew anything about the request but also did not seem particularly troubled by it, saying that whoever made it likely had good intentions. “Now, somebody did it because they thought I didn’t like him, O.K.?” Trump told reporters. “They were well meaning, I will say. I didn’t know anything about it. I would never have done that.” He also used the opportunity to once again explain why he “was not a big fan of John McCain.”

Meghan McCain

@MeghanMcCain
    Trump is a child who will always be deeply threatened by the greatness of my dads incredible life. There is a lot of criticism of how much I speak about my dad, but nine months since he passed, Trump won't let him RIP. So I have to stand up for him.

It makes my grief unbearable.

Post Thanks / Like

Trump lies with the graves of fallen soldiers behind him:

https://cnn.it/2IqDj49

"Let me tell you, he made such a fool out of himself ... because what people don't report is the letter he had to do to straighten out his testimony because his testimony was wrong."

(Mueller hasn't testified)

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Who was the president in 2012?
    Obama. So?

*mic drop*
    Probably better you leave it down there.

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

None of this changes the fact that Trump is a moron and a fool.
    Because you don't agree with his actions or approve of his methods? He didn't beat a big R field in 2016 primaries, or Clinton in the general election, by being a moron and a fool. He hasn't dismantled Obama's legacy and cemented support from his base through court appointments and other accomplishments by being stupid. All summed, the evidence suggests he's a pretty shrewd politician.

Post Thanks / Like

Because you don't agree with his actions or approve of his methods? He didn't beat a big R field in 2016 primaries, or Clinton in the general election, by being a moron and a fool. He hasn't dismantled Obama's legacy and cemented support from his base through court appointments and other accomplishments by being stupid. All summed, the evidence suggests he's a pretty shrewd politician.
    I somewhat agree. I'd say he's shameless, not a fool.

The people who support, follow, and vote for him, they're the fools.