Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 154

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    Roger Stone indicted today. Manafort and Cohen earlier.

    But where are the charges for illegally colluding with Russia to win the election? Nowhere to be seen! They don't exist. Stone, for example, is charged with lying to federal investigators and witness tampering, things that happened after the investigation by Mueller began, and having nothing to do with any supposed collusion with Russia.

    The only immoral collusion I see going on is between Democrats, the media and Mueller to make the public think that Trump did something illegal to win the election.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

  2. #2
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    9,148
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    I'm a bit confused by the "collusion" accusation.

    If collusion is talking to the Russian gov to influence the election. Isn't that exactly what the Trump Dossier is?
    Why is that not an issue to be investigated?

    I know that the immediate response is to say that collusion refers to something else, but that certainly doesn't seem to be the way it is used on the most common basis.
    It just seems like the way the accusation is being used, there are many other people that just so happen to be dems that should be under investigation as well.
    To serve man.

  3. #3
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Posts
    7,399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    I'm a bit confused by the "collusion" accusation.

    If collusion is talking to the Russian gov to influence the election. Isn't that exactly what the Trump Dossier is?
    Why is that not an issue to be investigated?

    I know that the immediate response is to say that collusion refers to something else, but that certainly doesn't seem to be the way it is used on the most common basis.
    It just seems like the way the accusation is being used, there are many other people that just so happen to be dems that should be under investigation as well.
    The collision would be when you participate in or encourage activities that are criminal in some way. Russian agents spending money in the US elections is illegal so if the trump campaign participated in that then they were committing a crime. Same goes for stealing emails or any other criminal activity.

    Hiring a foreign firm to do work on behalf of your campaign, so long as you are paying them a market price, is not illegal.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

  4. #4
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Roger Stone indicted today. Manafort and Cohen earlier.

    But where are the charges for illegally colluding with Russia to win the election? Nowhere to be seen! They don't exist. Stone, for example, is charged with lying to federal investigators and witness tampering, things that happened after the investigation by Mueller began, and having nothing to do with any supposed collusion with Russia.

    "WASHINGTON — The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, revealed on Friday the most direct link yet between the Trump campaign’s and WikiLeaks’ parallel efforts to use Democratic Party material stolen by Russians to damage the election campaign of Hillary Clinton.

    In an indictment unsealed Friday, the special counsel disclosed evidence that a top campaign official in 2016 dispatched Roger J. Stone, a longtime adviser to President Trump, to get information from WikiLeaks about the thousands of hacked Democratic emails. The effort began well after it was widely reported that Russian intelligence operatives were behind the theft, which was part of Moscow’s broad campaign to sabotage the 2016 president election."


    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/25/u...p-mueller.html

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    The only immoral collusion I see going on is between Democrats, the media and Mueller to make the public think that Trump did something illegal to win the election.
    Got anything resembling support for this charge?

  5. #5
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    "WASHINGTON — The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, revealed on Friday the most direct link yet between the Trump campaign’s and WikiLeaks’ parallel efforts to use Democratic Party material stolen by Russians to damage the election campaign of Hillary Clinton.

    In an indictment unsealed Friday, the special counsel disclosed evidence that a top campaign official in 2016 dispatched Roger J. Stone, a longtime adviser to President Trump, to get information from WikiLeaks about the thousands of hacked Democratic emails. The effort began well after it was widely reported that Russian intelligence operatives were behind the theft, which was part of Moscow’s broad campaign to sabotage the 2016 president election."


    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/25/u...p-mueller.html
    Is there something you want to say about this article? Because I don't see anything that points to a crime being committed by Stone or Trump prior to the start of Mueller's investigation. Do you believe it is a crime "to get information from WikiLeaks"? If so, then why wasn't Stone charged with that crime? Hmmm?
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

  6. #6
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Is there something you want to say about this article? Because I don't see anything that points to a crime being committed by Stone or Trump prior to the start of Mueller's investigation.
    The article does not directly say anything about Trump but it does indicate that Stone did indeed collude.

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Do you believe it is a crime "to get information from WikiLeaks"?
    Not in an of itself. But if the Russians attempt to interfere in a US election (which is illegal) and a US citizen help them with their efforts, such as using the stolen information they stole to help a candidate win, then they are indeed colluding with the Russians to interfere with the election.

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    If so, then why wasn't Stone charged with that crime? Hmmm?
    Don't know why it hasn't happened YET. I assume you have a bunch of unsupported theories on the matter?

    But either way, I have supported that there is at least a good reason to believe that Stone was involved in collusion with the Russians. And to be clear, that doesn't mean that Trump is directly involved. It's not impossible that members of his campaign colluded without his direction or even knowledge. But this Stone story is certainly not a nothingburger when it comes to the issue of the Trump campaign's alleged collusion.

  7. #7
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    ... it does indicate that Stone did indeed collude.
    No, it does not. Collusion means working together. Where does anything say that Stone worked with Wikileaks or Russians, much less to do something illegal? You, like everyone else on the drooling, rabid Left, are imagining details that aren't in the indictments and saying things that aren't supported by the available information.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

  8. #8
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    No, it does not. Collusion means working together. Where does anything say that Stone worked with Wikileaks or Russians, much less to do something illegal?

    "In an indictment unsealed Friday, the special counsel disclosed evidence that a top campaign official in 2016 dispatched Roger J. Stone, a longtime adviser to President Trump, to get information from WikiLeaks about the thousands of hacked Democratic emails. The effort began well after it was widely reported that Russian intelligence operatives were behind the theft, which was part of Moscow’s broad campaign to sabotage the 2016 president election."

    And as I already explained, what the Russians were doing was illegal and therefore any effort to help them is likewise illegal.


    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    You, like everyone else on the drooling, rabid Left, are imagining details that aren't in the indictments and saying things that aren't supported by the available information.
    "Drooling rabid left"? Can we debate like grown-ups and not hurl insults, please?

  9. #9
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    And as I already explained, what the Russians were doing was illegal and therefore any effort to help them is likewise illegal.
    Is there any evidence showing that anyone helped them? The indictments don't show any. Again, you're imagining that it is there. An effort to get information from Wikileaks is not collusion. It is not helping anyone in a collaborative way.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

  10. #10
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Is there any evidence showing that anyone helped them? The indictments don't show any.
    I don't think indictments provide evidence. They just state what is alleged to have happened.

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Again, you're imagining that it is there.
    You're imagining that I'm imagining that it is there. I never said there was.

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    An effort to get information from Wikileaks is not collusion. It is not helping anyone in a collaborative way.
    It is if it's being obtained in order to help the Russians influence the election, which is what the indictment says:

    "WASHINGTON — The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, revealed on Friday the most direct link yet between the Trump campaign’s and WikiLeaks’ parallel efforts to use Democratic Party material stolen by Russians to damage the election campaign of Hillary Clinton."

  11. #11
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    to damage the election campaign of Hillary Clinton[/B]."
    [/I]
    It doesn't say "to help the Russians damage the election campaign of Hillary Clinton", does it? The Trump campaign wanted to damage the Clinton campaign. Yes. But that doesn't mean they were working with the Russians to do so. The fact that two groups had the same goal does not prove that they were working together to reach that goal.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

  12. #12
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    A reading of the full indictment showed that Stone claimed he had inside knowledge of what WikiLeaks had and he bragged about it to trump campaign officials who asked him for what he knew. It is also clear from the emails Stone actually had no idea what Wikileaks had or what/when they would release. He did lie about having conversations about this but it is pretty obvious there wasn't any collision with russia or russian operatives.

    To go a little further, the trump campaign did nothing illegal. There is nothing illegal in wanting to know what dirt exists about your opponent, even of the info was obtained illegally doing as the campaign played no part in the illegal activity. The Steele Dosier is an example of a campaign basically pushing made up accusations to the public, also provided by the Russians, but no one is talking Russian collusion. Why? Because like the Wikileaks email dump, the campaign didnt actually direct the Russians to provide the info.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  13. #13
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,786
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    There is nothing illegal in wanting to know what dirt exists about your opponent [TRUE], even of the info was obtained illegally doing as the campaign played no part in the illegal activity [WRONG]. The Steele Dosier is an example of a campaign basically pushing made up [WRONG] accusations to the public, also provided by the Russians [WRONG, provided by an english dude], but no one is talking Russian collusion. Why? Because like the Wikileaks email dump, the campaign didnt actually direct the Russians to provide the info.
    Apples and oranges comparing a sincere intelligence document and an attack against the United States by a foreign power. There is a thread on this.

    ---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    The thing about the Dossier is that it was the key piece of evidence used to begin this whole collusion investigation.
    Wrong, already completely discussed in the thread concerning it.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  14. #14
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    From Jonathan Turley, the Shapiro Professor of Public Interest Law at George Washington University, printed in USA Today:


    "...The main issue however remains the lack of objectivity of the coverage of the indictment. Stone has featured prominently in theories seeking "smoking gun" evidence of collusion. There is nothing smoking in this indictment. There is no suggestion of involvement or knowledge by Stone in the hacking. Stone has suggested that he was a conduit of hacked information from Wikileaks but he later insisted that he was not actually speaking to Julian Assange and that he had no direct knowledge that Russians were responsible for the Democratic hackings. The indictment does not contradict that later account.

    The important thing is that, even if Stone and the campaign did seek the email information, it would not be a crime. The crime is the conspiracy to hack the email system. Campaigns often seek confidential information obtained by journalists, leakers, whistleblowers and others. Indeed, the Clinton campaign (while denying its role before the election) funded the Steele dossier investigation to dig up dirt on Trump, including dirt from Russian intelligence figures. Even if Stone implicated Trump in seeking the information, it would merely establish the type of dirty politics that Stone expressly embraced as his curious calling and talent. ..."

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/2678017002/
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

  15. #15
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    The important thing is that, even if Stone and the campaign did seek the email information, it would not be a crime. The crime is the conspiracy to hack the email system.
    That is ONE crime.

    Another crime is for a foreign power to interfere in US elections. So yes, hacking is a crime. It is also a crime for a foreign government to use that hacked information to influence a US election and it's a crime for anyone to assist that foreign government in such efforts. And the indictment says Stone did just that.

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Campaigns often seek confidential information obtained by journalists, leakers, whistleblowers and others. Indeed, the Clinton campaign (while denying its role before the election) funded the Steele dossier investigation to dig up dirt on Trump, including dirt from Russian intelligence figures. Even if Stone implicated Trump in seeking the information, it would merely establish the type of dirty politics that Stone expressly embraced as his curious calling and talent. ..."
    This is dodging the main issue.

    Russia committed a crime against the US. Any US citizen who aided Russia in this crime has colluded in a foreign criminal scheme. The fact that this particular crime resembles common political actions that aren't necessarily criminal does not change that.

  16. #16
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    There has been no evidence shown that Stone assisted Russia, despite your attempts to portray it that way. You’re just wrong.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

  17. #17
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    There has been no evidence shown that Stone assisted Russia, despite your attempts to portray it that way. You’re just wrong.
    "WASHINGTON — The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, revealed on Friday the most direct link yet between the Trump campaign’s and WikiLeaks’ parallel efforts to use Democratic Party material stolen by Russians to damage the election campaign of Hillary Clinton.

    In an indictment unsealed Friday, the special counsel disclosed evidence that a top campaign official in 2016 dispatched Roger J. Stone, a longtime adviser to President Trump, to get information from WikiLeaks about the thousands of hacked Democratic emails. The effort began well after it was widely reported that Russian intelligence operatives were behind the theft, which was part of Moscow’s broad campaign to sabotage the 2016 president election."

    Russia stole the e-mails to be used against Clinton. Stone knowingly took those Russian-pilfered e-mail to use against Clinton.

    That is part 1 and part 2 of a Russian effort to sabotage the election. All parties involved committed a crime.

  18. #18
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    Repeating faulty analysis doesn’t make it correct.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

  19. #19
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Repeating faulty analysis doesn’t make it correct.
    If you are going to argue that analysis is incorrect, you will need to explain how it's wrong. Just saying "it's wrong" does not suffice.

    ---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    Isn't that what the dosier was? Russian intelligence agents information, accepted by one side, in an effort to effect the election?
    What dossier are you referring to?

    If it's not related to Stone's alleged crimes, you seem to be changing the topic here.

  20. #20
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Where are the Russia Collusion Charges?

    Been there and done that. I’m not required to repeat myself for you, just because you demand it.

    Hypothetically, lets say Stone did receive information from wikileaks. Is there any evidence that WL is controlled by Russia?
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

 

 
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Collusion!
    By CowboyX in forum Member Contributed News
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: July 31st, 2019, 05:53 AM
  2. Man defends home, possibly facing charges?
    By Someguy in forum Member Contributed News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 6th, 2014, 10:39 AM
  3. Vicar admits child porn charges
    By pikatore in forum Member Contributed News
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: September 4th, 2008, 04:32 AM
  4. Charges in Haditha case are dropped!
    By Ivan in forum Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 28th, 2007, 02:50 PM
  5. Replies: 34
    Last Post: October 19th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •