Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Racism & Sexual Scandal - A Statute of Limitations?

Blackface racism. Sexual acts. Youthful indiscretions. Apologies and more apologies. Current events in Virginia are pretty representative of happenings nationwide.

I'm going to agree for the purpose of this debate, that any use of blackface, by anyone, at any time, is inherently racist, and that any unwanted sexual advance or act is immoral and should be denounced.

Should we citizens and voters never forgive any such acts that an elected official or candidate for office may have committed? Or should we have some unofficial statute of limitations, not because of a lack of witnesses or failed memories, but because people and culture change over time?

To me, what the three accused Virginia officials did, even if true, happened a long time ago. What is considered acceptable behavior has changed over time, and the three of them have no doubt changed also. I don't believe they should be disqualified for public service based on the distant past, any more than I though Judge Kavanaugh should have been rejected for the Supreme Court based on what might have happened when he was a teenager.

Sure, there is a need to look at each case individually, and take into account the seriousness of the prior conduct, and some actions might not be forgiven. But on the whole, I think a zero tolerance policy by the public (and political parties) is not warranted, just, or good for the country.

For further reading: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/08/u...r-scandal.html
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan