Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Your comment is not responsive to the op, or to my argument for why it is essentially the same logic as used in other threads where the writer claims x doesn't exist.
    I'm merely correcting you on your flawed characterization of the threads you mentioned, and pointing out that your comparison fails due to those OPs not making a claim that x doesn't exists because of opinion. In any case, since you've already implicitly admitted that this entire thread is nothing more than an attempt to highlight what you believe is bad argumentation on the side of atheists, your complaint that a comment is off-topic doesn't really mean much.

If you really want to point out a flaw in the reasoning of any specific OPs, the correct course would be to respond in the specific thread which contains the argument you think is flawed. Otherwise, people might think you're just out to troll.

2. Likes Belthazor liked this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SharmaK View Post
    I'm not saying that "the soul doesn't exist because I'm not convinced it exists" - that's a tautology.
    No, it is not. You should read definitions and maybe a wiki once in a while so as not to demonstrate total ignorance.

Here is the concluding sentence of your op: "That there is little evidence of the soul or for any of the supporting materials, one must conclude, based on all the facts at hand, that souls don’t really exist beyond mere speculation and mainly for religious purposes." The rest was window dressing so that it wouldn't be obvious you're just not convinced by the evidence that does exist. The soul could well exist, despite a lack of evidence. Black holes existed before scientist knew how to detect them. Lots of species exist without being identified. You are predisposed to not believe in souls, so you use the lack of convincing (to you) evidence to say they don't exist, rather than admitting that you just don't know.
    Last edited by Squatch347; February 28th, 2019 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Don't call people trolls. If you think they are trolling then report them with an explanation.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    No, it is not. You should read definitions and maybe a wiki once in a while so as not to demonstrate total ignorance.

Here is the concluding sentence of your op: "That there is little evidence of the soul or for any of the supporting materials, one must conclude, based on all the facts at hand, that souls don’t really exist beyond mere speculation and mainly for religious purposes." The rest was window dressing so that it wouldn't be obvious you're just not convinced by the evidence that does exist. The soul could well exist, despite a lack of evidence. Black holes existed before scientist knew how to detect them. Lots of species exist without being identified. You are predisposed to not believe in souls, so you use the lack of convincing (to you) evidence to say they don't exist, rather than admitting that you just don't know.
    lol - you keep missing the point don't you? Why do you think equate positive knowledge that souls are nonsensical with much better explanations for the same experience with religious nonsense that are clearly fabrications! But before we even get there, you need to support what the soul even is; even better hop over to the other thread and show me what you're purporting to be evidence! I'm getting tired of our resident "agnostic" whose only agnostic because he doesn't appear to know very much - and getting trapped by his rabbit holes isn't much fun: if you can do a better job, feel free to do so!

I am in no-way predisposed to not believe in souls because I have examined what that would be and conclude the idea is nonsensical religious hickory pokery to steal from the living with lies about what would happen in the afterlife. I'll give you a fair hearing but just stop threads like this - it doesn't look good; particularly since you're not even being slightly clever or funny about it.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

And...thread locked. Gentlemen, I am all for attempting to point out what you believe is a logical fallacy using an analogy via an OP. Its clever. But when the participants of a thread forget that a fallacy is a fallacy because of its logic or structure, not because of the person you are discussing it with (itself a fallacy) these kinds of discussions will always devolve into mud slinging and flame wars. I'm glad this one just ended in a spam-out.

I want to offer this as a warning to all participants of this thread. If the same kind of behavior goes on in other threads, I will delete the post and infract the participant. Stick to the arguments, not your opponents' motivations. If you feel someone is being a troll, or has flamed you, or has posted spam. REPORT IT! There is a reason that little button is down there on the left. Don't feel the need to go out vigilante style and reply in kind.

Seriously, last warning.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2