Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,572
    Post Thanks / Like

    Global Warming Does Not Exist

    Arguments for the existence of man-made global warming have not convinced me that it exists.

    Therefore it does not exist.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

  2. #2
    ODN's Crotchety Old Man

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Location, Location
    Posts
    9,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    I'm convinced. You win.

    /end thread

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    lol! It's not global warming - it's climate change.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Arguments for the existence of man-made global warming have not convinced me that it exists.

    Therefore it does not exist.
    Well, clearly that is a flawed argument.

    Just because you are not convinced that a given argument is true does not mean that the opposite of the argument is true.

    Now I suspect that you are fully aware that your initial argument is flawed and am hoping someone will point that out so you can make some other point. So i'm not really taking adversarial position but am just seeing where you are going with this. I'm playing your game quite intentionally. So you may consider this a more friendly stance from me than you usually get. Or maybe I misread what's going on. But the point is I don't intend to be the pain in your ass that I often am in other threads.
    Last edited by mican333; February 25th, 2019 at 07:23 AM.

  5. Thanks Sigfried thanked for this post
  6. #5
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,572
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
    /end thread
    Apparently not.

    ---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by SharmaK View Post
    lol! It's not global warming - it's climate change.
    Your comments are nonresponsive to the op.

    If you can't offer convincing evidence of man-made global warming, then it does not exist.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

  7. #6
    ODN's Crotchety Old Man

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Location, Location
    Posts
    9,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Apparently not.
    I find this response convincing. Damn, you did it again!

  8. #7
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    If you can't offer convincing evidence of man-made global warming, then it does not exist.
    I'm curious about why you are intentionally forwarding clearly logically flawed arguments.

    I assume there's a point to this.

  9. #8
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    912
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Arguments for the existence of man-made global warming have not convinced me that it exists.

    Therefore it does not exist.
    I love vanilla ice cream
    (real vanilla beans only though, no fake stuff...)

  10. #9
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,572
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    I love vanilla ice cream
    (real vanilla beans only though, no fake stuff...)
    Your comments are not responsive to the op.

    If you cannot provide convincing evidence that man-made global warming exists, then man-made global warming does not exist.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

  11. #10
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Your comments are not responsive to the op.

    If you cannot provide convincing evidence that man-made global warming exists, then man-made global warming does not exist.
    Okay, you win. I would really like to shoot down this argument but the logic is indeed unassailable.

    Since you are indeed the sole determiner of reality, if you personally are not convinced that something exists, then it clearly does not exist.

    So I concede this point and you win.

    Good job, sir!
    Last edited by mican333; February 25th, 2019 at 07:30 PM.

  12. #11
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    912
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Your comments are not responsive to the op.

    If you cannot provide convincing evidence that man-made global warming exists, then man-made global warming does not exist.
    Though I personally believe "the climate change arguments showing humans as the only/largest cause" are flawed, and so is the Op for obvious reasons.

    I was hoping Mican was right and you had something "saved" that you hadn't stated yet we could explore.
    Last edited by Belthazor; February 26th, 2019 at 03:11 PM.

  13. #12
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Arguments for the existence of man-made global warming have not convinced me that it exists.

    Therefore it does not exist.
    Not true. The only fair position to take is an agnostic one for reasons I refuse to explain.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  14. #13
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    912
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post

    If you cannot provide convincing evidence that man-made global warming exists, then man-made global warming does not exist.
    I can't provide you with evidence that life exists planets other than Earth either, but that does not preclude such life from living.
    IOW, man caused global warming won't suddenly become real just because you have evidence of it.

    It is true or it is not, whether you personally have/are given evidence or not.

  15. #14
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,572
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    Quote Originally Posted by Belthazor View Post
    It is true or it is not, whether you personally have/are given evidence or not.
    Are you saying that something doesn't exist or not exist based on my personal belief? Are you sure? Because, I got the impression we could each declare that something doesn't exist based solely on our opinion of the evidence. Recent examples of this logical approach as currently used on ODN are:

    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...does-not-exist

    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...ally-justified

    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...ine-hiddenness

    The op writer in each of those uses an argument that boils down to "I'm not convinced x exists. Therefore x does not exist."

    If it is a legitimate approach for atheists who claim that God and souls do not exist, then it should also work for the subject of global warming.
    Last edited by evensaul; February 27th, 2019 at 11:16 AM.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

  16. #15
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    The op writer in each of those uses an argument that boils down to "I'm not convinced x exists. Therefore x does not exist."
    Nice strawman - although I'm not at all surprised. It may seem to you as though the arguments in those OPs boil down to that, but they don't.

    In the thread about how theists lack rational justification for their beliefs, the argument is not that x doesn't exist, except for the rational justification which theists claim to have for their beliefs. Theists are free to present support in that thread for their claim that they have rational justification for their theistic beliefs - so far none have done so successfully, which supports the OP.
    In the thread about the problem of divine hiddenness, the argument is that the claimed deities don't exist as claimed due to the lack of other evidence which would necessarily exist if those claims were true.

    You and I did have a few somewhat lengthy exchanges in both those threads, but you abandoned those exchanges without addressing my rebuttals to your arguments, hence they are retracted.
    If you want to maintain that somehow your argumentation in those threads stands, I invite you to respond to the rebuttals. I have re-posted the last responses containing rebuttals which you did not address in each of those threads for your convenience.

  17. #16
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,572
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    Quote Originally Posted by futureboy View Post
    In the thread about how theists lack rational justification for their beliefs,... so far none have done so successfully
    In your sole opinion, which supports my claim here.

    Quote Originally Posted by futureboy View Post
    In the thread about the problem of divine hiddenness, the argument is that the claimed deities don't exist as claimed due to the lack of other evidence which would necessarily exist if those claims were true.
    In the sole opinion of the writer (you), which further supports my claim here.

    Thanks for trying.
    Last edited by evensaul; February 27th, 2019 at 12:47 PM.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

  18. #17
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    I'm sorry, but abandoning a discussion without addressing rebuttals to your arguments and then just calling your counterparts statements "opinions" doesn't count as support for anything.

  19. #18
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,572
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    Quote Originally Posted by futureboy View Post
    I'm sorry, but abandoning a discussion without addressing rebuttals to your arguments and then just calling your counterparts statements "opinions" doesn't count as support for anything.
    Your comment is not responsive to the op, or to my argument for why it is essentially the same logic as used in other threads where the writer claims x doesn't exist.

    If you can't address the issues without using Red Herrings, you will be ignored.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

  20. #19
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    912
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Are you saying that something doesn't exist or not exist based on my personal belief? Are you sure? Because, I got the impression we could each declare that something doesn't exist based solely on our opinion of the evidence. Recent examples of this logical approach as currently used on ODN are:

    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...does-not-exist

    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...ally-justified

    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...ine-hiddenness

    The op writer in each of those uses an argument that boils down to "I'm not convinced x exists. Therefore x does not exist."

    If it is a legitimate approach for atheists who claim that God and souls do not exist, then it should also work for the subject of global warming.
    Oh I get it, thank you for the clarification.

    In that case, I get your opinion of the threads you attached, however I am in those threads and there is a little more going on than just "I'm not convinced".

    If you were really emulating the Op's of those threads you would have listed why you believe GW people are wrong/delusional. The Op's you reference all start with a premise why the Op is correct.

    I find your point kinda interesting, I just think it still needs a little work to actually get where you are trying to go...

  21. #20
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Global Warming Does Not Exist

    Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Are you saying that something doesn't exist or not exist based on my personal belief? Are you sure? Because, I got the impression we could each declare that something doesn't exist based solely on our opinion of the evidence. Recent examples of this logical approach as currently used on ODN are:

    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...does-not-exist

    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...ally-justified

    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...ine-hiddenness

    The op writer in each of those uses an argument that boils down to "I'm not convinced x exists. Therefore x does not exist."

    If it is a legitimate approach for atheists who claim that God and souls do not exist, then it should also work for the subject of global warming.
    lol - as someone who consistently runs away from threads as soon as they've lost, I am unsurprised that you like to misrepresent people's OPs and threads. My own thread, for example is based solely on reasoning and on facts about the mind and the brain.

    I'm not saying that "the soul doesn't exist because I'm not convinced it exists" - that's a tautology. So it's clear you don't even bother reading the threads you're complaining about.

    Atheists aren't the only ones that claim that God and souls do not exist: other religions do too! So to single out just atheists is factually wrong and again, this is an example of Christians playing victim whilst attacking another minority. It's wearing thin that you gloss over actual reasoning and attack people in an insidiously oblique way - I wish you'd just stick to arguments and not personal attacks, especially one that takes up a whole thread. And in doing so, you're not even accurately representing the other side's position correctly: you're attacking science from the 1980's for goodness sakes: just because you don't believe science you don't have to misrepresent it with your straw man attacks!

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Global warming...?
    By GoldPhoenix in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: March 28th, 2010, 02:24 AM
  2. Global Warming...
    By CliveStaples in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 216
    Last Post: April 16th, 2009, 06:12 AM
  3. Global Warming III
    By Zorak in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 7th, 2008, 11:33 AM
  4. Is it just me or is it getting HOT (Global Warming) in here?
    By wanxtrmBANNED in forum Conspiracies
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: September 20th, 2007, 01:19 AM
  5. Global Warming (what is it?)
    By FruitandNut in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 159
    Last Post: September 29th, 2006, 01:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •