Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Impeachment of Donald J. Trump

COMMITTEES RELEASE TESTIMONY OF YOVANOVITCH AND McKINLEY AS PART OF NEW PUBLIC PHASE OF IMPEACHMENT INQUIRY

Washington, November 4, 2019

Washington, DC – Today, Rep. Adam B. Schiff, the Chairman of the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, Rep. Eliot L. Engel, the Chairman of the Committee on Foreign Affairs, and Rep. Carolyn Maloney, the Acting Chairwoman of the Committee on Oversight and Reform, released the transcripts of former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie “Masha” Yovanovitch and former Senior Advisor to the Secretary of State Ambassador P. Michael McKinley.

Both of these individuals testified before the Committees as part of the House of Representatives’ impeachment inquiry of President Donald J. Trump. The resolution passed by the House last week authorized the Committees to make the inquiry transcripts of their recent depositions and interviews available to Members and public at the discretion at the Chairman of the Intelligence Committee in advance of open hearings.

The three Chairs issued the following statement announcing today’s releases:

“As we move towards this new public phase of the impeachment inquiry, the American public will begin to see for themselves the evidence that the committees have collected. With each new interview, we learn more about the President’s attempt to manipulate the levers of power to his personal political benefit.

“The transcripts of interviews with Ambassadors Yovanovitch and McKinley demonstrate clearly how President Trump approved the removal of a highly respected and effective diplomat based on public falsehoods and smears against Ambassador Yovanovitch’s character and her work in support of long-held U.S. foreign policy anticorruption goals.

“Ambassadors Yovanovitch and McKinley’s testimony also demonstrates the contamination of U.S. foreign policy by an irregular back channel that sought to advance the President’s personal and political interests, and the serious concerns that this activity elicited across our government.

“Unfortunately, despite those concerns, the transcripts also show clearly that efforts to secure public support for Ambassador Yovanovitch from the senior-most levels of the State Department were never realized, thanks to worry among those leaders that such support would be directly undermined by presidential attacks.”

The testimony of former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie “Masha” Yovanovitch from October 11, 2019 can be found here. Key excerpts from Yovanovitch’s testimony can be found here.
    Q: Also on page 4, at the top, President Trump said, “The former ambassador from
    the United States, the woman, was bad news and the people she was dealing with
    in the Ukraine were bad news, so I just want to let you know that.” Do you see
    that?
    A: Yes.
    Q: What was your reaction when you saw that?
    A: Again, I hate to be repetitive, but I was shocked. I mean, I was very surprised
    that President Trump would—first of all, that I would feature repeatedly in a
    Presidential phone call, but secondly, that the President would speak about me or
    any ambassador in that way to a foreign counterpart.
    Q: At the bottom of that same page, President Trump says, “Well, she’s going to go
    through some things.” What did you understand that to mean?
    A: I didn’t know what it meant. I was very concerned. I still am.
    Q: Did you feel threatened?

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

The testimony of former Senior Advisor to the Secretary of State Ambassador P. Michael McKinley from October 16, 2019 can be found here. Key excerpts from McKinley’s testimony can be found here:
    “I’ve worked in conflict areas the world over. And by diplomats doing what they do overseas,
    they help keep this country secure and prosperous and also offer us the possibility of being
    linked to the outside world. In terms of supporting our values, we’re also the front line in
    promoting issues of human rights, democracy, and cooperation internationally. In this context,
    frankly, to see the emerging information on the engagement of our missions to procure negative
    political information for domestic purposes, combined with the failure I saw in the building to
    provide support for our professional cadre in a particularly trying time
    , I think the combination
    was a pretty good reason to decide enough, that I had—I had no longer a useful role to play.”
    Excerpt source.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

Who hates the troops?

Rudy Giuliani pushes dual loyalty smear against decorated Iraq War hero Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman: ‘I thought he worked for US’

Hey Rudy, he’s a real American hero — and he’s from Brooklyn!

Rudy Giuliani slammed Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman as a traitor over reports that the White House official discussed the presidential lawyer’s activities with Ukrainian counterparts in their mother tongue.

“(Vindman was) giving advice to two countries,” Giuliani tweeted. “I thought he worked for US.”

Vindman, who was was born in Ukraine and came to Brighton Beach with his family as a toddler, is the White House’s top expert on Ukraine, so it’s not surprising that he interacted with Ukrainian counterparts in any language.

Giuliani was apparently triggered by reports that the Ukrainian diplomats asked Vindman how they could navigate Giuliani’s highly unusual campaign to dig up dirt on Democrats in Ukraine.

Trump has also questioned Vindman’s loyalty, picking up on the talking point first raised by Fox News host Laura Ingraham even before Vindman testified Tuesday to the impeachment inquiry.

The smear of an Iraq War veteran and Purple Heart recipient winner sparked push-back from even Trump’s most loyal allies.

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.), a staunch opponent of impeachment, called the attacks on Vindman “shameful” and urged right-wing allies to stop targeting the decorated Army officer, who arrived for his testimony in full dress uniform.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

Post Thanks / Like

So much for the impartial juror:

'THIS IS ILLEGAL': DONALD TRUMP AND RAND PAUL ARE INCITING VIOLENCE BY CALLING FOR WHISTLEBLOWER'S IDENTITY, FORMER GOP STRATEGIST SAYS

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul set Twitter alight on Monday after calling on the media to reveal the identity of the anonymous intelligence official whose complaint sparked the impeachment investigation into President Donald Trump.

The president and his GOP allies have been agitating for the official to be identified, even though legal experts warn such a step would violate federal laws protecting whistleblowers.

The investigation—into whether Trump solicited Ukrainian interference in the 2020 election in exchange for military aid—has moved on from the whistleblower, with multiple named officials testifying to House investigators and corroborating the concerns of the anonymous complainant.

Regardless, Trump and his supporters have sought to keep the focus on the official, citing their anonymity as evidence of Democratic opacity.

On Monday, Trump was joined by Paul as both men attacked the whistleblower, the Democrats and the impeachment investigation.

Paul told the Kentucky audience that he knew the name of the whistleblower, according to USA Today. Citing unverified reports in conservative media outlets, Paul claimed that the official "worked for Joe Biden at the same time Hunter Biden was getting money from corrupt oligarchs."

He continued: "I say tonight to the media, do your job and print his name. And I say this to my fellow colleagues in Congress, to every Republican in Washington, step up and subpoena Hunter Biden and subpoena the whistleblower!"

Twitter users were quick to condemn Paul's assertions, warning that uncovering the identity of the whistleblower would be both unethical and illegal.

National security lawyer Bradley Moss suggested that all Trump allies calling for the official's name to be revealed would be culpable if any harm came to them.

"If any harm befalls the whistleblower, or someone erroneously identified as the whistleblower, we will not soon forget your call to out them and place them in harm's way," he wrote on Twitter.

Moss added that he is struggling "to find consistency between the purported libertarian philosophy of Rand Paul and his desire to place a lawful whistleblower in harm's way."

Former GOP strategist Sophia Nelson warned that what Paul was proposing violates federal laws that date back to 1777. "This is illegal," she told a CNN panel. On Twitter, she added, "Let me be clear: Senator #RandPaul & the President of the United States are inciting others."

Former Illinois representative Joe Walsh—who is also running a 2020 presidential campaign challenging Trump—criticized Paul's apparent kowtowing to the president and his capture of the GOP.

"I call on Rand Paul to have the courage to immediately find the other Rand Paul," he wrote. "The Rand Paul I used to admire. The Rand Paul who wasn't emasculated by Donald Trump."

On the other side of the political spectrum, Democratic Coalition co-founder Scott Dworkin suggested that any U.S. lawmaker calling for whistleblowers to be exposed "should resign immediately." He added, "Rand Paul, let's start with you."

Post Thanks / Like

This is why grand juries are conducted in secret (and why the republicans wanted them stopped):

Sondland changes his testimony full text here.

Sondland changes testimony, acknowledges delivering quid pro quo message to Ukraine
    Sondland provided additional testimony to House impeachment investigators this week that updates his deposition from last month.

WASHINGTON — U.S. Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland made a significant change to his testimony to House impeachment investigators this week: He said he now remembers telling a top aide to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy that Ukraine would not receive U.S. military assistance until it committed to investigating the 2016 election and former Vice President Joe Biden.

Sondland's latest testimony — stated in a three-page declaration to the House committees leading the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump — represents an update to the testimony he gave in October and contains significant new details. That includes a fuller accounting of the role he played in personally telling the Ukrainians they needed to cooperate with the demands of Trump's personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, if they wanted the aid money.

The timeline of events Sondland first outlined in his opening statement in October largely absolved him of any wrongdoing or of having any advance knowledge of a scheme to use U.S. foreign policy to promote Trump’s political interests. That characterization, however, was at stark odds with both the testimony of other officials and with written records obtained by the House in its impeachment inquiry. His new testimony makes clear that he had been well aware that releasing foreign aid was conditional to Ukraine launching the desired investigations.

According to the new sworn declaration, Sondland told Congress that his memory was "refreshed" after reviewing the opening statements given to Congress by Bill Taylor, the acting ambassador to Ukraine, and Tim Morrison, a former adviser to Trump on Russian and European affairs.

Morrison told investigators that a conversation he had with Sondland gave him reason to believe that the release of aid to Ukraine might be tied to the country making a public anti-corruption statement that would announce the revival of an investigation into the energy company Burisma Holdings, the Ukrainian gas company whose board of directors Biden’s son Hunter Biden joined in 2014.

Taylor testified behind closed doors that Sondland had told him of an effort by the president to link security aid for Ukraine to probes of the Bidens and matters related to the 2016 presidential election.

Sondland said that by the beginning of September, he “presumed that the aid suspension had become linked to the proposed anti-corruption statement.”

Sondland said he also now remembered a Sept. 1 conversation in Warsaw with Andriy Yermak, a top Zelenskiy adviser, in which he told Yermak that "the resumption of U.S. aid would likely not occur until Ukraine provided the public anti-corruption statement that we had been discussing for many weeks."

He also said that soon after, he "came to understand" the statement would have to come from Zelenskiy himself. He claimed he doesn't remember exactly how he learned this, but that he thought it may have come from Giuliani or Kurt Volker, then-U.S. special envoy to Ukraine who resigned after his name appeared in a whistleblower complaint about Trump’s dealings with Ukraine.

Sondland previously told Congress that the idea for Zelenskiy to deliver a public statement later “morphed” into “some kind of an interview that President Zelenskiy would give to a TV station.”

Asked with what network, Sondland said, “I don't know, but something President Trump would see.”

“Tucker,” he added, referring to Fox News host Tucker Carlson’s weeknight program.

The release of Sondland’s latest round of testimony came at the same time as the committees also released a transcript of his prior testimony in October as well as of Volker’s testimony from October.

In addition, a fresh round of text messages given to the committee by Volker and released Tuesday revealed specifics about the language of the public anti-corruption statement that had been drafted for Zelenskiy to read.

According to the texts, Yermak sent Volker a draft that did not include specific mention of Burisma or the 2016 election on August 11. But Volker asked Yermak to add “the 2 key items” to it, and the next draft included specific mentions of “Burisma” and the “2016 U.S. elections.”

The transcript of Sondland's October testimony, however, paints a picture of a diplomat deeply entrenched in unorthodox channels who nonetheless found the push by the White House to launch politically advantageous investigations increasingly "insidious."

In that transcript, Sondland called the saga "sort of a continuum" that "started as talk to Rudy, then others talk to Rudy."

"Corruption was mentioned. Then, as time went on — and, again, I can’t nail down the dates — then let’s get the Ukrainians to give a statement about corruption. And then, no, corruption isn’t enough, we need to talk about the 2016 election and the Burisma investigations. And it was always described to me as ongoing investigations that had been stopped by the previous administration and they wanted them started up again. That’s how it was always described. And then finally at some point I made the Biden-Burisma connection, and then the transcript was released," Sondland said.

"It kept getting more insidious as [the] timeline went on, and back in July, it was all about just corruption," Sondland added, according to the transcript.

There is no evidence of wrongdoing by either Biden.

Sondland also said in his original deposition that he grew frustrated with how conditions were continually being added for Ukraine to get a meeting with Trump.

"We were jerking Ukraine around, and I didn’t like it," Sondland said, according to the transcript.

Later, in the the transcript, Sondland suggests that he understood efforts to have the Ukrainians investigate the Bidens were unlawful.

When asked if he felt the efforts were “illegal,” he responded, “I’m not a lawyer, but I assume so.”

Trump has repeatedly denied engaging in a quid pro quo with Ukraine. In a statement, the White House said the transcripts released Tuesday "show there is even less evidence for this illegitimate impeachment sham than previously thought."

White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said that Sondland "squarely states that he 'did not know, (and still does not know) when, why or by whom the aid was suspended' and that he said he 'presumed' there was a link to the aid — but cannot identify any solid source for that assumption."

"No amount of salacious media-biased headlines, which are clearly designed to influence the narrative, change the fact that the President has done nothing wrong," Grisham said.

According to the transcript of his October testimony, Sondland revealed that Trump had seized on a baseless conspiracy theory — known in some circles as "the insurance policy" — that the Democratic National Committee framed Russia for election interference in 2016 and that Ukraine had attempted to help Hillary Clinton win.

"'They tried to take me down,'" Sondland quotes Trump as saying, referring to Ukraine and the DNC. "He kept saying that over and over."

In a statement, the chairs of the three committees leading the inquiry — House Intelligence Committee Chair Adam Schiff, D-N.Y., House Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Eliot Engel, D-N.Y. and House Oversight Committee acting Chair Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y. — said the testimony of Sondland and Volker “shows the progression of efforts by the president and his agent, Rudy Giuliani, to use the State Department to press Ukraine to announce investigations beneficial to the president’s personal and political interests.”

A key figure in the unfolding impeachment inquiry, Sondland had no diplomatic experience before Trump nominated him in 2017 to become ambassador to the E.U., a club of nations that does not include Ukraine. He was a wealthy hotelier who donated about $1 million to Trump’s inaugural committee and refers to himself in his prepared testimony as a “lifelong Republican.”

His depiction of a Trump-ordered campaign to pressure Zelenskiy to open an investigation adds to a growing body of testimony corroborating the underlying allegations contained in a whistleblower’s complaint that led the House to launch the impeachment inquiry late last month. Trump has maintained he did "nothing wrong" and that all his efforts on Ukraine were both legal and appropriate.

At points in his testimony, Sondland had problems recalling key events described by other witnesses.

Asked about a July 10 meeting with White House and Ukrainian officials where Sondland allegedly said he’d worked out a deal with acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney that Zelenskiy could have a meeting with the president if Ukraine opened “investigations,” Sondland said he couldn’t remember.

Sondland also testified in his original deposition that he didn't remember whether he told Marie Yovanovitch, the ousted U.S. ambassador to Ukraine, that she should tweet out support or praise for Trump if she wanted to save her job, as she told House impeachment investigators, according to a transcript of her testimony released on Monday.

Post Thanks / Like

Nov 8, 2019

3 days, 5 transcripts: What we’ve learned from recently released impeachment depositions

On Monday, transcripts of depositions by Marie Yovanovitch, the former US ambassador to Ukraine, and Michael McKinley, a former senior adviser to the secretary of state, were released. On Tuesday, transcripts from Kurt Volker, the former US special representative to Ukraine, and Gordon Sondland, the US ambassador to the European Union, were made public. And on Wednesday, we got one from Bill Taylor, who is the current top US diplomat in Ukraine.

Post Thanks / Like

Taylor said Trump also wanted Kyiv to investigate a long-debunked 2016 election conspiracy theory: that a Democratic National Committee server was whisked away to Ukraine to hide the fact that that country interfered in the vote, not Russia.

Just in case anyone is apt to fall for this nonsense, here's the server:

A filing cabinet broken into in 1972 as part of the Watergate burglary sits beside a computer server that Russian hackers breached during the 2016 presidential campaign at the Democratic National Committee’s headquarters in Washington.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gellerson-New-York-Times-DNC-breakin-1-768x549.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	3825

Post Thanks / Like

Schiff calls whistleblower testimony "redundant and unnecessary"

House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff said in a letter Saturday that the whistleblower's testimony is "redundant and unnecessary" because the impeachment inquiry has gathered evidence that "not only confirms, but far exceeds" information in the original complaint.

Why it matters: Schiff's letter to Rep. Devin Nunes, the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, comes after Nunes complained that Democrats had yet to treat President Trump with "fairness" in the impeachment process, directing witnesses not to answer questions from GOP committee members and withholding transcripts.

In light of the President's threats, the individual's appearance before us would only place their personal safety at grave risk."
    The full letter here.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice reference material here:

Impeachment Testimony Cheat Sheet

Republicans release list of people they want to testify:

-Devon Archer
    -Hunter Biden
    -Alexandra Chalupa
    -David Hale
    -Tim Morrison
    -Nellie Ohr
    -Amb. Volker
    -The “Whistleblower” & their sources

I'd like to see Chalupa since she seems to be the lynchpin to all of their conspiracy theories but Nellie Ohr?

---------- Post added at 07:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

Pretty disgusting:

Lt. Colonel Vindman Fired. Updated.

Post Thanks / Like

Washington, November 11, 2019

Washington, D.C.— Today, Rep. Adam B. Schiff, the Chairman of the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, Rep. Eliot L. Engel, the Chairman of the Committee on Foreign Affairs, and Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney, the Acting Chairwoman of the Committee on Oversight and Reform, released the transcript from the joint deposition of Laura Cooper, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Department of Defense.

The three Chairs issued the following statement announcing today’s release:

“Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense Laura Cooper testified that President Trump, through the Office of Management and Budget, directed the freeze on hundreds of millions of dollars of critical military aid for Ukraine, against the judgment of career officials in the Department of Defense, Department of State, and other relevant agencies. Cooper also told the Committees that she raised concerns, as did others on several occasions, to senior U.S. government officials about the legality of withholding the congressionally-authorized money, and the challenges that White House delays would put on spending it.

“Cooper also testified that, during a meeting on August 20, 2019, with Ambassador Kurt Volker, he strongly implied that the hold on assistance might be resolved if Ukraine was willing to issue a statement related to election interference.”

The testimony of Deputy Assistant Secretary Laura Cooper can be found here.

Key excerpts of Deputy Assistant Secretary Laura Cooper testimony can be found here:
    A: But towards the end of August when [Volker] met with me for what, you know, I thought
    was going to be you know just a routine touch base on Ukraine, but also I thought it was
    going to be a strategizing session on how do we get this security assistance released
    knowing that we both—we both wanted the funding released. So in that meeting he did
    mention something to me that, you know, was the first about somehow an effort that he
    was engaged in to see if there was a statement that the government of Ukraine would
    make that would somehow disavow any interference in U.S. elections and would commit
    to the prosecution of any individuals involved in election interference. And that was
    about as specific as it got.

Q: Okay. Did he indicate to you that if that channel he was working was successful it might
    lift this issue?

Post Thanks / Like

Democrats land damning new evidence in impeachment testimony

Donald Trump called a U.S. diplomat and close GOP associate in July for an update on efforts to push Ukraine to investigate his Democratic adversaries, a witness in the House’s impeachment inquiry revealed Wednesday.

The existence of the call — relayed by William Taylor, the top U.S. diplomat in Ukraine, during the first public hearing since the inquiry began — delivered Democrats an explosive new detail and underscored the depth of Trump’s fixation with targeting Joe Biden and his son Hunter, as well as his alleged effort to exploit a U.S. ally at war with Russia in order to boost his 2020 reelection campaign.

As the hearing unfolded, Democrats repeatedly tied Trump's effort to life-and-death questions about whether the president's handling of Ukraine endangered not just the lives of Ukrainian soldiers but also U.S. national security. Their goal: to convince Americans that Trump abused his office and committed offenses that can be remedied only by impeachment and removal from office.

“If this is not impeachable conduct, what is? Does the oath of office itself ... still have meaning?” said House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.).

With Schiff's opening statement, the House’s historic sprint toward Trump's impeachment began.

The most explosive revelation came from Taylor, who told lawmakers that one of his aides overheard Gordon Sondland — the U.S. ambassador to the European Union and a top Trump campaign donor — on the phone with the president, during which the aide could hear Trump ask about “the investigations.” Taylor said Sondland told the president that the Ukrainians were “ready to move forward.”

The aide told Taylor that Sondland subsequently relayed “that President Trump cares more about the investigations of Biden, which [Rudy] Giuliani was pressing for.” Taylor said he was “not aware of this information” when he testified at a private deposition on Oct. 22, and learned of it only last week.

The aide is David Holmes, a source familiar with the matter told POLITICO.

Impeachment investigators announced during the hearing that Holmes, an official at the U.S. Embassy in Ukraine, is scheduled to testify behind closed doors on Friday,
    an indication that Democrats’ efforts to unearth new information is active even as they have begun making their public sales pitch to the American people. It is also a reflection of how rapidly the investigation has unfolded, yielding new and often startling evidence on a near-daily basis that has fueled the party’s drive toward the third presidential impeachment in U.S. history.

When pressed by Schiff about whether he understood Trump’s remarks on the call with Sondland to mean that Trump cares more about a Biden investigation than he does about Ukraine, Taylor responded: “Yes, sir.”

A lawyer for Sondland declined to comment, adding: “Ambassador Sondland will address whatever Mr. Taylor's aide said when he testifies next week.”

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

Full Taylor and Kent Testimony:

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Committee rejects republican request to suponea whistle blower:

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Hill and Holmes full testimony:

---------- Post added at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 AM ----------

Full Sondland testimony:

---------- Post added at 03:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 AM ----------

Full Cooper and Hale testimony:

---------- Post added at 03:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 AM ----------

Full Williams and Vindman testimony:

---------- Post added at 03:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 AM ----------

Full Yovanovich testimony:

---------- Post added at 03:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 AM ----------

Full Volker and Williams testimony:

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 AM ----------

And here we are just before turkey day:

---------- Post added at 03:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 AM ----------

Transcript from above video:

DONALD TRUMP TODAY RESORTING TO A FAMILIAR TACTIC SPREADING LIES
    A FAMILIAR TACTIC SPREADING LIES AND SMEARS ON ONE OF HIS
    AND SMEARS ON ONE OF HIS FAVORITE CABLE NEWS PROGRAMS IN
    FAVORITE CABLE NEWS PROGRAMS IN THE WAKE OF THE HOUSE DEMOCRAT’S
    THE WAKE OF THE HOUSE DEMOCRAT’S PUBLIC HEARINGS THIS WEEK
    PUBLIC HEARINGS THIS WEEK PROVIDING IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE
    PROVIDING IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE THAT DONALD TRUMP CONDITIONED
    THAT DONALD TRUMP CONDITIONED REFUSED MILITARY AID COULD TUKT
    REFUSED MILITARY AID COULD TUKT INFORMATIONS.
    INFORMATIONS.
    THE "NEW YORK TIMES" WRITES,
    THE "NEW YORK TIMES" WRITES, QUOTE, PRESIDENT TRUMP UNLEASHED
    QUOTE, PRESIDENT TRUMP UNLEASHED A SERIES OF FALSEHOODS ON FRIDAY
    A SERIES OF FALSEHOODS ON FRIDAY ON AN EFFORT TO INVALIDATE THE
    ON AN EFFORT TO INVALIDATE THE IMPEACHMENT INQUIRY AND COUNTER
    IMPEACHMENT INQUIRY AND COUNTER SWORN TESTIMONY FROM OFFICIALS
    SWORN TESTIMONY FROM OFFICIALS IN HIS OWN ADMINISTRATION.
    IN HIS OWN ADMINISTRATION
    . AFTER A WEEK OF DAMAGING PUBLIC
    AFTER A WEEK OF DAMAGING PUBLIC HEARINGS.
    HEARINGS. AND WHILE DIVISIONS IN OUR
    AND WHILE DIVISIONS IN OUR POLITICS ENDURE, IT’S BEYOND
    POLITICS ENDURE, IT’S BEYOND DEBATE THAT THE DEMOCRATS’ FACT
    DEBATE THAT THE DEMOCRATS’ FACT WITNESSES, THE MAJORITY OF THEM,
    WITNESSES, THE MAJORITY OF THEM, TRUMP APPOINTEES AND CAREER
    TRUMP APPOINTEES AND CAREER DIPLOMATS, PAINTED A DEVASTATING
    DIPLOMATS, PAINTED A DEVASTATING PICTURE OF PRESIDENTIAL
    PICTURE OF PRESIDENTIAL MISCONDUCT THAT WAS DAMNING
    MISCONDUCT THAT WAS DAMNING ENOUGH THAT THE "NEW YORK TIMES"
    ENOUGH THAT THE "NEW YORK TIMES" TODAY DESCRIBES TRUMP’S
    TODAY DESCRIBES TRUMP’S REPUBLICAN ALLIES AS, QUOTE, ALL
    REPUBLICAN ALLIES AS, QUOTE, ALL BUT CERTAIN THAT THE HOUSE WILL
    BUT CERTAIN THAT THE HOUSE WILL MOVE FORWARD TO IMPEACH
    MOVE FORWARD TO IMPEACH PRESIDENT TRUMP.
    PRESIDENT TRUMP. NBC NEWS REPORTS TODAY THAT THE
    NBC NEWS REPORTS TODAY THAT THE HOUSE IS EXPECTING TO VOTE ON
    HOUSE IS EXPECTING TO VOTE ON ARTICLES OF IMPEACHMENT IN A
    ARTICLES OF IMPEACHMENT IN A MATTER OF WEEKS AS REPUBLICANS
    MATTER OF WEEKS AS REPUBLICANS FACE A DEVASTATING DISMANTLING
    FACE A DEVASTATING DISMANTLING OF THEIR LAST REMAINING DEFENSES
    OF THEIR LAST REMAINING DEFENSES AGAINST THE ALLEGATIONS AT THE
    AGAINST THE ALLEGATIONS AT THE HEART OF THE UKRAINE SCANDAL.
    HEART OF THE UKRAINE SCANDAL. "THE WASHINGTON POST" ADDS THIS.
    "THE WASHINGTON POST" ADDS THIS. QUOTE, THE COMMITTEE HAS BEGUN
    QUOTE, THE COMMITTEE HAS BEGUN WRITING A REPORT SUMMARIZING ITS
    WRITING A REPORT SUMMARIZING ITS FINDINGS ACCORDING TO PEOPLE
    FINDINGS ACCORDING TO PEOPLE FAMILIAR WITH THE MATTER WHO
    FAMILIAR WITH THE MATTER WHO SPOKE ANONYMOUSLY TO DISCUSS THE
    SPOKE ANONYMOUSLY TO DISCUSS THE DEMOCRATS’ NEXT MOVE.
    DEMOCRATS’ NEXT MOVE. ONCE THAT’S COMPLETED
    ONCE THAT’S COMPLETED PROCEEDINGS MOVE TO THE HOUSE
    PROCEEDINGS MOVE TO THE HOUSE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE WHICH WILL
    JUDICIARY COMMITTEE WHICH WILL DRAFT SPECIFIC ARTICLES OF
    DRAFT SPECIFIC ARTICLES OF IMPEACHMENT.
    IMPEACHMENT. THE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE COULD
    THE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE COULD BEGIN ITS WORK WHEN LAWMAKERS
    BEGIN ITS WORK WHEN LAWMAKERS RETURN FROM THANKSGIVING.
    RETURN FROM THANKSGIVING. WHAT WE NOW KNOW FOR CERTAIN
    WHAT WE NOW KNOW FOR CERTAIN BASED ON THE PUBLIC TESTIMONY OF
    BASED ON THE PUBLIC TESTIMONY OF 12 OF TRUMP’S OWN CURRENT AND
    12 OF TRUMP’S OWN CURRENT AND FORMER ADMINISTRATION OFFICIALS
    FORMER ADMINISTRATION OFFICIALS IS THAT THERE WAS, WITHOUT
    IS THAT THERE WAS, WITHOUT QUESTION, A QUID PRO QUO WITH
    QUESTION, A QUID PRO QUO WITH UKRAINE.
    UKRAINE
    . A PURSUIT TRUMP’S FORMER SENIOR
    A PURSUIT TRUMP’S FORMER SENIOR AIDE FIONA HILL REBRANDED THIS
    AIDE FIONA HILL REBRANDED THIS WEEK AS, QUOTE, POLITICAL
    WEEK AS, QUOTE, POLITICAL ERRANDS
    WE HAVE ALSO LEARNED
    ERRANDS WE HAVE ALSO LEARNED THAT THE UKRAINIANS KNEW FULL
    THAT THE UKRAINIANS KNEW FULL WELL THAT THEIR MILITARY AID WAS
    WELL THAT THEIR MILITARY AID WAS IN JEOPARDY AS EARLY AS THE DAY
    IN JEOPARDY AS EARLY AS THE DAY OF THE JULY 25th PHONE CALL WHEN
    OF THE JULY 25th PHONE CALL WHEN TRUMP ASKED ZELENSKY FOR A FAVOR
    TRUMP ASKED ZELENSKY FOR A FAVOR THOUGH.
    THOUGH. INVESTIGATIONS INTO THE BIDENS
    INVESTIGATIONS INTO THE BIDENS AND THAT WHEN IT CAME TO THE
    AND THAT WHEN IT CAME TO THE DAY-TO-DAY MACHINATIONS OF THE
    DAY-TO-DAY MACHINATIONS OF THE PRESSURE CAMPAIGN, THE PRESIDENT
    PRESSURE CAMPAIGN, THE PRESIDENT WITH
    WITH -- EVERYONE WAS IN THE LOOP.
    -- EVERYONE WAS IN THE LOOP. >> MR. GIULIANI’S REQUESTS WERE
    >> MR. GIULIANI’S REQUESTS WERE A QUID PRO QUO FOR ARRANGING A
    A QUID PRO QUO FOR ARRANGING A WHITE HOUSE VISIT FOR PRESIDENT
    WHITE HOUSE VISIT FOR PRESIDENT ZELENSKY.
    ZELENSKY. WAS THERE A QUID PRO QUO?
    WAS THERE A QUID PRO QUO? THE ANSWER IS YES.
    THE ANSWER IS YES. >> WHAT DID AMBASSADOR SONDLAND
    >> WHAT DID AMBASSADOR SONDLAND TELL YOU THAT HE TOLD MR.
    TELL YOU THAT HE TOLD MR. MR. YERMAK?
    MR. YERMAK? >> THAT THE UKRAINIANS WOULD
    >> THAT THE UKRAINIANS WOULD HAVE TO HAVE THE PROSECUTOR
    HAVE TO HAVE THE PROSECUTOR GENERAL MAKE A STATEMENT WITH
    GENERAL MAKE A STATEMENT WITH RESPECT TO THE INVESTIGATIONS AS
    RESPECT TO THE INVESTIGATIONS AS A CONDITION OF HAVING THE AID
    A CONDITION OF HAVING THE AID LIFTED.
    LIFTED. >> YOUR STAFF AT LEAST GLEANED
    >> YOUR STAFF AT LEAST GLEANED FROM THOSE CONVERSATIONS THAT
    FROM THOSE CONVERSATIONS THAT THE UKRAINIAN EMBASSY WAS AWARE
    THE UKRAINIAN EMBASSY WAS AWARE THAT THERE WAS SOME KIND OF A
    THAT THERE WAS SOME KIND OF A HOLD ON THE ASSISTANCE.
    HOLD ON THE ASSISTANCE. >> SIR, THE WAY I WOULD PHRASE
    >> SIR, THE WAY I WOULD PHRASE IT IS THAT THERE WAS SOME KIND
    IT IS THAT THERE WAS SOME KIND OF AN ISSUE, YES.
    OF AN ISSUE, YES. >> SECRETARY PERRY, AMBASSADOR
    >> SECRETARY PERRY, AMBASSADOR VOLKER, AND I WORKED WITH
    VOLKER, AND I WORKED WITH MR. RUDY GIULIANI ON UKRAINE
    MR. RUDY GIULIANI ON UKRAINE MATTERS AT THE EXPRESS DIRECTION
    MATTERS AT THE EXPRESS DIRECTION OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED
    OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.
    STATES. >> I WAS UPSET WITH HIM THAT HE
    >> I WAS UPSET WITH HIM THAT HE WASN’T FULLY TELLING US ABOUT
    WASN’T FULLY TELLING US ABOUT ALL OF THE MEETINGS THAT HE WAS
    ALL OF THE MEETINGS THAT HE WAS HAVING.
    HAVING. AND HE SAID TO ME BUT I AM
    AND HE SAID TO ME BUT I AM BRIEFING THE PRESIDENT, I AM
    BRIEFING THE PRESIDENT, I AM BRIEFING CHIEF OF STAFF
    BRIEFING CHIEF OF STAFF MULVANEY, I AM BRIEFING
    MULVANEY, I AM BRIEFING SECRETARY POMPEO, AND I HAVE
    SECRETARY POMPEO, AND I HAVE TALKED TO AMBASSADOR BOLTON.
    TALKED TO AMBASSADOR BOLTON. WHO ELSE DO I HAVE TO DEAL WITH?
    WHO ELSE DO I HAVE TO DEAL WITH? HE WAS BEING INVOLVED IN A
    HE WAS BEING INVOLVED IN A DOMESTIC POLITICAL ERRAND.
    DOMESTIC POLITICAL ERRAND. AND WE WERE BEING INVOLVED IN
    AND WE WERE BEING INVOLVED IN NATIONAL SECURITY FOREIGN
    NATIONAL SECURITY FOREIGN POLICY, AND THOSE TWO THINGS HAD
    POLICY, AND THOSE TWO THINGS HAD JUST DIVERGED.
    JUST DIVERGED. I DID SAY TO HIM AMBASSADOR
    I DID SAY TO HIM AMBASSADOR SONDLAND, I THINK THIS IS ALL
    SONDLAND, I THINK THIS IS ALL GOING TO BLOW UP, AND HERE WE
    GOING TO BLOW UP, AND HERE WE ARE.
    ARE. >> AND HERE WE ARE.
    >> AND HERE WE ARE. THOSE WITNESSES AGAIN SOME OF
    THOSE WITNESSES AGAIN SOME OF WHOM STILL WORK IN THE TRUMP
    WHOM STILL WORK IN THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION ARE CONSISTENT
    ADMINISTRATION ARE CONSISTENT AND THEY TELL A DAMAGING STORY
    AND THEY TELL A DAMAGING STORY LEAVING SUCH LITTLE ROOM FOR
    LEAVING SUCH LITTLE ROOM FOR SPIN THAT PRESIDENT TRUMP TODAY
    SPIN THAT PRESIDENT TRUMP TODAY HAD TO RESORT TO AN ATTACK ON
    HAD TO RESORT TO AN ATTACK ON UKRAINE AND A BASELESS
    UKRAINE AND A BASELESS CONSPIRACY THEORY THAT EVERY
    CONSPIRACY THEORY THAT EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE WITNESSES TO
    SINGLE ONE OF THE WITNESSES TO DATE HAS DEBUNKED IN A
    DATE HAS DEBUNKED IN A HEAD-SPINNING REBUTTAL INTERVIEW
    HEAD-SPINNING REBUTTAL INTERVIEW THIS MORNING ON FOX AND FRIENDS.
    THIS MORNING ON FOX AND FRIENDS. >> WHY SHOULD WE GIVE MONEY TO A
    >> WHY SHOULD WE GIVE MONEY TO A COUNTRY THAT’S KNOWN CORRUPT,
    COUNTRY THAT’S KNOWN CORRUPT, IT’S A VERY CORRUPT COUNTRY.
    IT’S A VERY CORRUPT COUNTRY. I LOVE THE PEOPLE IN UKRAINE.
    I LOVE THE PEOPLE IN UKRAINE. I KNOW UKRAINIAN PEOPLE.
    I KNOW UKRAINIAN PEOPLE. THEY ARE GREAT PEOPLE.
    THEY ARE GREAT PEOPLE. BUT IT’S KNOWN AS BEING THE
    BUT IT’S KNOWN AS BEING THE THIRD MOST CORRUPT CONSIDER EYE
    THIRD MOST CORRUPT CONSIDER EYE IN THE WORLD.
    IN THE WORLD. NOW, WITH THIS GUY WHO, BY THE
    NOW, WITH THIS GUY WHO, BY THE WAY I HARDLY KNOW HIM, I STILL
    WAY I HARDLY KNOW HIM, I STILL WANT TO SEE THAT SERVER.
    WANT TO SEE THAT SERVER. THE FBI’S NEVER GOTTEN THAT
    THE FBI’S NEVER GOTTEN THAT SERVER.
    SERVER. THAT’S A BIG PART OF THIS WHOLE
    THAT’S A BIG PART OF THIS WHOLE THING.
    THING. WHY DID THEY GIVE IT TO A
    WHY DID THEY GIVE IT TO A UKRAINIAN COMPANY?
    UKRAINIAN COMPANY? >> ARE YOU SURE THEY DID THAT?
    >> ARE YOU SURE THEY DID THAT? ARE YOU SURE THEY GAVE IT TO
    ARE YOU SURE THEY GAVE IT TO UKRAINE?
    UKRAINE? >> WELL, THAT’S WHAT THE WORD
    >> WELL, THAT’S WHAT THE WORD IS.
    IS. THAT’S WHAT I ASKED ACTUALLY IN
    THAT’S WHAT I ASKED ACTUALLY IN MY PHONE CALL.
    MY PHONE CALL. I ASKED IT VERY POINT-BLANK
    I ASKED IT VERY POINT-BLANK BECAUSE WE ARE LOOKING FOR
    BECAUSE WE ARE LOOKING FOR CORRUPTION.
    CORRUPTION. >> THAT’S WHAT THE WORD IS FROM
    >> THAT’S WHAT THE WORD IS FROM WHOM?
    WHOM? FROM RUDY?
    FROM RUDY? AGAIN, THERE IS NO TRUTH TO WHAT
    AGAIN, THERE IS NO TRUTH TO WHAT THE PRESIDENT IS SAYING.
    THE PRESIDENT IS SAYING. AND THERE IS A NEW REPORT IN THE
    AND THERE IS A NEW REPORT IN THE "NEW YORK TIMES" REVEALS THIS
    "NEW YORK TIMES" REVEALS THIS CLAIM THAT UKRAINE MEDDLED IN
    CLAIM THAT UKRAINE MEDDLED IN THE 2016 ELECTION IS LITERALLY A
    THE 2016 ELECTION IS LITERALLY A RUSSIAN TALKING POINT, PART OF A
    RUSSIAN TALKING POINT, PART OF A YEARS-LONG RUSSIAN OPERATION TO
    YEARS-LONG RUSSIAN OPERATION TO BLAME UKRAINE TO DEFLECT FROM
    BLAME UKRAINE TO DEFLECT FROM WHAT IT GOT CAUGHT DOING,
    WHAT IT GOT CAUGHT DOING, INTERFERING IN OUR ELECTION IN
    INTERFERING IN OUR ELECTION IN 2016.
    2016. THAT’S WHERE WE START TODAY WITH
    THAT’S WHERE WE START TODAY WITH SOME OF OUR FAVORITE REPORTERS
    SOME OF OUR FAVORITE REPORTERS AND FRIENDS.
    AND FRIENDS. FORMER U.S. ATTORNEY JOYCE VANCE
    FORMER U.S. ATTORNEY JOYCE VANCE JOINS US, MICHAEL STEELE, FORMER
    JOINS US, MICHAEL STEELE, FORMER CHAIRMAN OF THE RNC IS HERE.
    CHAIRMAN OF THE RNC IS HERE. AT THE TABLE KIMBERLY ATKINS,
    AT THE TABLE KIMBERLY ATKINS, SENIOR CORRESPONDENT FOR
    SENIOR CORRESPONDENT FOR BOSTON’S PUBLIC NEWS STATION,
    BOSTON’S PUBLIC NEWS STATION, "NEW YORK TIMES" POLITICAL
    "NEW YORK TIMES" POLITICAL REPORTER NICK CONFESSORI, AND
    REPORTER NICK CONFESSORI, AND CONTRIBUTOR FOR THE BULWARK, TIM
    CONTRIBUTOR FOR THE BULWARK, TIM MILLER IS HERE.
    MILLER IS HERE. KIM, I HAVE TO START WITH YOU.
    KIM, I HAVE TO START WITH YOU. YOU COULD NOT MAKE UP, YOU KNOW,
    YOU COULD NOT MAKE UP, YOU KNOW, A NEW CYCLE TO PROVE THAT
    A NEW CYCLE TO PROVE THAT EVERYTHING THAT FIONA HILL TRIED
    EVERYTHING THAT FIONA HILL TRIED TO TELL DONALD TRUMP BEHIND
    TO TELL DONALD TRUMP BEHIND CLOSED DOORS FELL ON DEAF EARS,
    CLOSED DOORS FELL ON DEAF EARS, THEN TO PUT DONALD TRUMP ON FOX
    THEN TO PUT DONALD TRUMP ON FOX AND FRIENDS WHERE HE REPEATS THE
    AND FRIENDS WHERE HE REPEATS THE CONSPIRACY THEORIES THAT SHE AND
    CONSPIRACY THEORIES THAT SHE AND TOM BOSSERT AND JOHN BOLTON
    TOM BOSSERT AND JOHN BOLTON TRIED TO BEAT OUT OF HIM FOR
    TRIED TO BEAT OUT OF HIM FOR THREE YEARS.
    THREE YEARS. >> YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.
    >> YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. AND NOT JUST THE VERY CONVINCING
    AND NOT JUST THE VERY CONVINCING TESTIMONY BY FIONA HILL, BUT A
    TESTIMONY BY FIONA HILL, BUT A CULMINATION OF TWO WEEKS OF
    CULMINATION OF TWO WEEKS OF STORIES WHICH ALL FIT TOGETHER
    STORIES WHICH ALL FIT TOGETHER TO PAINT THIS PICTURE OF THIS,
    TO PAINT THIS PICTURE OF THIS, WHICH SHE CALLED THIS DOMESTIC
    WHICH SHE CALLED THIS DOMESTIC POLITICAL ERRAND THAT WAS
    POLITICAL ERRAND THAT WAS COMPLETELY DIVERGENT FROM U.S.
    COMPLETELY DIVERGENT FROM U.S. POLICY AND THAT WAS FOCUSED
    POLICY AND THAT WAS FOCUSED SPECIFICALLY ON GETTING
    SPECIFICALLY ON GETTING INFORMATION ABOUT JOE BIDEN AND
    INFORMATION ABOUT JOE BIDEN AND HUNTER BIDEN IN EXCHANGE FOR
    HUNTER BIDEN IN EXCHANGE FOR EITHER A WHITE HOUSE MEETING,
    EITHER A WHITE HOUSE MEETING, WHICH THE UKRAINIANS WANTED A
    WHICH THE UKRAINIANS WANTED A PHONE CALL, OR MOST IMPORTANTLY
    PHONE CALL, OR MOST IMPORTANTLY AID AT A TIME WHERE THE COUNTRY
    AID AT A TIME WHERE THE COUNTRY WAS AT WAR WITH RUSSIA.
    WAS AT WAR WITH RUSSIA. EVERY OFFICIAL PAINTED THE SAME
    EVERY OFFICIAL PAINTED THE SAME PICTURE.
    PICTURE. EVEN THOSE LIKE GORDON SONDLAND
    EVEN THOSE LIKE GORDON SONDLAND SOMEBODY WHO GOT HIS JOB AFTER
    SOMEBODY WHO GOT HIS JOB AFTER GIVING A MILLION DOLLARS TO
    GIVING A MILLION DOLLARS TO TRUMP’S INAUGURAL COMMITTEE.
    TRUMP’S INAUGURAL COMMITTEE. IT WAS A VERY DAMNING TWO WEEKS
    IT WAS A VERY DAMNING TWO WEEKS OF TESTIMONY.
    OF TESTIMONY. IT SEEMS THAT THE PRESIDENT HAS
    IT SEEMS THAT THE PRESIDENT HAS SETTLED ON, A, DIGGING IN, AND,
    SETTLED ON, A, DIGGING IN, AND, B, CONTINUING TO PUT FORWARD
    B, CONTINUING TO PUT FORWARD THESE TALKING POINTS THAT WE
    THESE TALKING POINTS THAT WE HAVE HEARD FROM HIM AND WE HAVE
    HAVE HEARD FROM HIM AND WE HAVE HEARD THEM FROM RUDY GIULIANI
    HEARD THEM FROM RUDY GIULIANI ABOUT UKRAINE, WHICH HAVE BEEN
    ABOUT UKRAINE, WHICH HAVE BEEN DISPROVEN.
    DISPROVEN. >> YOU KNOW, NICK, YOU’RE IN THE
    >> YOU KNOW, NICK, YOU’RE IN THE BUSINESS OF INVESTIGATIVE
    BUSINESS OF INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM AND YOU GO ABOUT IF
    JOURNALISM AND YOU GO ABOUT IF IT’S A DICEY STORY YOU NEED AT
    IT’S A DICEY STORY YOU NEED AT LEAST TWO SOURCES.
    LEAST TWO SOURCES. AND IF IT’S REALLY DICEY YOU
    AND IF IT’S REALLY DICEY YOU NEED THREE OR FOUR.
    NEED THREE OR FOUR. TO PROVE A QUID PRO QUO THE
    TO PROVE A QUID PRO QUO THE DEMOCRATS HAD 17 WITNESSES.
    DEMOCRATS HAD 17 WITNESSES. IT’S PROVEN BEYOND A REASONABLE
    IT’S PROVEN BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT THAT DONALD TRUMP
    DOUBT THAT DONALD TRUMP CONDITIONED MILITARY AID FOR
    CONDITIONED MILITARY AID FOR U.S. ALLY, A DEMOCRACY AT RISK
    U.S. ALLY, A DEMOCRACY AT RISK FROM RUSSIA ON POLITICALLY
    FROM RUSSIA ON POLITICALLY MOTIVATED INVESTIGATIONS INTO
    MOTIVATED INVESTIGATIONS INTO 2016 AND INTO THE BIDENS.
    2016 AND INTO THE BIDENS. AND HE TOLD US SO.
    AND HE TOLD US SO. >> YEAH.
    >> YEAH. >> SO ON A FACTUAL BASIS, WHERE
    >> SO ON A FACTUAL BASIS, WHERE WOULD YOU RANK SORT OF THE
    WOULD YOU RANK SORT OF THE VORACITY OF THE CASE THE
    VORACITY OF THE CASE THE DEMOCRATS MADE?
    DEMOCRATS MADE? >> IF I WAS A REPORTER, AND I
    >> IF I WAS A REPORTER, AND I AM, I’D BE SUPER CONFIDENT IN
    AM, I’D BE SUPER CONFIDENT IN TAKING OUT OF THE PHRASE ALLEGED
    TAKING OUT OF THE PHRASE ALLEGED AND JUST SAYING THIS IS WHAT
    AND JUST SAYING THIS IS WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED.
    ACTUALLY HAPPENED. WE NOW KNOW WHAT REALLY
    WE NOW KNOW WHAT REALLY HAPPENED.
    HAPPENED. WE KNOW WHAT THE TRADE WAS.
    WE KNOW WHAT THE TRADE WAS. I WOULD SAY IF THIS WAS LIKE A
    I WOULD SAY IF THIS WAS LIKE A JIG SAW PUZZLE, INSTEAD OF THE
    JIG SAW PUZZLE, INSTEAD OF THE ONE WHERE LIKE YOU TRY AND
    ONE WHERE LIKE YOU TRY AND FIGURE OUT WHERE THE PIECES FIT
    FIGURE OUT WHERE THE PIECES FIT TOGETHER, WE SORT OF STARTED
    TOGETHER, WE SORT OF STARTED WITH LIKE THE BORDER ALREADY
    WITH LIKE THE BORDER ALREADY BUILT AND WE WERE KIND OF
    BUILT AND WE WERE KIND OF FILLING IN THE MIDDLE.
    FILLING IN THE MIDDLE. NOW WE HAVE THE WHOLE THING.
    NOW WE HAVE THE WHOLE THING. IT’S ACTUALLY VERY CLEAR.
    IT’S ACTUALLY VERY CLEAR. WE HAVE LEARNED SOME IMPORTANT
    WE HAVE LEARNED SOME IMPORTANT NEW THINGS OBVIOUSLY FROM THESE
    NEW THINGS OBVIOUSLY FROM THESE HEARINGS.
    HEARINGS. BUT THEY’RE MOSTLY ABOUT PRECISE
    BUT THEY’RE MOSTLY ABOUT PRECISE ISSUES OF TIMING WHICH ARE
    ISSUES OF TIMING WHICH ARE ALWAYS HELPFUL IN FIGURING OUT
    ALWAYS HELPFUL IN FIGURING OUT SOMETHING.
    SOMETHING. KIND OF WHO KNEW WHAT WHEN, THE
    KIND OF WHO KNEW WHAT WHEN, THE PRESIDENT’S INVOLVEMENT,
    PRESIDENT’S INVOLVEMENT, MULVANEY’S INVOLVEMENT, AND THE
    MULVANEY’S INVOLVEMENT, AND THE UKRAINIANS’ KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT
    UKRAINIANS’ KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT WAS HAPPENING AT ANY GIVEN TIME.
    WAS HAPPENING AT ANY GIVEN TIME. THOSE ARE ALL IMPORTANT
    THOSE ARE ALL IMPORTANT INGREDIENTS.
    INGREDIENTS. IT WASN’T LIKE IT WAS A
    IT WASN’T LIKE IT WAS A POINTLESS EXERCISE.
    POINTLESS EXERCISE. BUT, MAN, EVERYTHING IS PRETTY
    BUT, MAN, EVERYTHING IS PRETTY NAILED DOWN NOW.
    NAILED DOWN NOW. >> YOU KNOW, IT’S A GREAT POINT,
    >> YOU KNOW, IT’S A GREAT POINT, JOYCE.
    JOYCE. AND I WAS THINKING ABOUT IT WITH
    AND I WAS THINKING ABOUT IT WITH NICK SITTING HERE FROM AN
    NICK SITTING HERE FROM AN INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALIST’S
    INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALIST’S PERSPECTIVE.
    PERSPECTIVE. BUT YOU ARE A PROSECUTOR.
    BUT YOU ARE A PROSECUTOR. ANDREW WEISSMANN WAS AT OUR
    ANDREW WEISSMANN WAS AT OUR TABLE YESTERDAY.
    TABLE YESTERDAY. AND OTHER PROSECUTORS.
    AND OTHER PROSECUTORS. I MEAN, IF YOU ASK PEOPLE IF
    I MEAN, IF YOU ASK PEOPLE IF THEY’D TAKE THIS CASE AND THINK
    THEY’D TAKE THIS CASE AND THINK THEY COULD PROVE IT.
    THEY COULD PROVE IT. CLAIRE McCASKILL SAYS I COULD
    CLAIRE McCASKILL SAYS I COULD TAKE IT, I COULD PROVE IT PRETTY
    TAKE IT, I COULD PROVE IT PRETTY CUT AND DRY.
    CUT AND DRY. >> YOU KNOW, IN A CRIMINAL CASE,
    >> YOU KNOW, IN A CRIMINAL CASE, WHICH IMPEACHMENT IS NOT THE
    WHICH IMPEACHMENT IS NOT THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS THE HIGHEST
    BURDEN OF PROOF IS THE HIGHEST PROOF IN OUR LEGAL SYSTEM, PROOF
    PROOF IN OUR LEGAL SYSTEM, PROOF BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT.
    BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT. BUT WHAT JUDGES TELL JURIES, YOU
    BUT WHAT JUDGES TELL JURIES, YOU DON’T HAVE TO INCLUDE EVERY
    DON’T HAVE TO INCLUDE EVERY SCINTILLA OF DOUBT.
    SCINTILLA OF DOUBT. YOU JUST HAVE TO BE COMFORTABLE
    YOU JUST HAVE TO BE COMFORTABLE ENOUGH WITH THE EVIDENCE THAT
    ENOUGH WITH THE EVIDENCE THAT YOU WOULD USE IT TO ACT ON ONE
    YOU WOULD USE IT TO ACT ON ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT DECISIONS
    OF THE MOST IMPORTANT DECISIONS IN YOUR OWN PERSONAL LIFE.
    IN YOUR OWN PERSONAL LIFE. AND THAT I THINK IS WHAT WE SEE
    AND THAT I THINK IS WHAT WE SEE HERE.
    HERE. WHEN I HEAR NICK SAY HE WOULD
    WHEN I HEAR NICK SAY HE WOULD TAKE OUT THE WORD ALLEGED, THAT
    TAKE OUT THE WORD ALLEGED, THAT MEANS A LOT TO ME.
    MEANS A LOT TO ME. THE ONLY DEFENSE THAT THIS
    THE ONLY DEFENSE THAT THIS PRESIDENT HAS EVER TRIED TO
    PRESIDENT HAS EVER TRIED TO MOUNT HERE IS THE DEFENSE THAT
    MOUNT HERE IS THE DEFENSE THAT HE’S A CORRUPTION FIGHTER.
    HE’S A CORRUPTION FIGHTER. TRUMP WHO IS ANTI-CORRUPTION.
    TRUMP WHO IS ANTI-CORRUPTION. AND ASIDE FROM THE FACT THAT
    AND ASIDE FROM THE FACT THAT THAT DEFENSE IS COMPLETELY
    THAT DEFENSE IS COMPLETELY LAUGHABLE FOR ALL OF THE REASONS
    LAUGHABLE FOR ALL OF THE REASONS THAT WE KNOW AND TALK ABOUT
    THAT WE KNOW AND TALK ABOUT EVERY DAY, WHAT REALLY NAILS IT
    EVERY DAY, WHAT REALLY NAILS IT IS THE FACT THAT IF TRUMP WANTED
    IS THE FACT THAT IF TRUMP WANTED TO FIGHT CORRUPTION IN UKRAINE,
    TO FIGHT CORRUPTION IN UKRAINE, HE WOULD HAVE KEPT MARIE
    HE WOULD HAVE KEPT MARIE YOVANOVITCH ON THE JOB.
    YOVANOVITCH ON THE JOB. SHE WAS A KNOWN CORRUPTION
    SHE WAS A KNOWN CORRUPTION FIGHTER.
    FIGHTER. THERE’S NO REASON TO BRING IN A
    THERE’S NO REASON TO BRING IN A BUMBLING RUDY GIULIANI AND THE
    BUMBLING RUDY GIULIANI AND THE THREE AMIGOS.
    THREE AMIGOS. SO EVERY DEFENSE THAT THE
    SO EVERY DEFENSE THAT THE PRESIDENT HAS TO OFFER HERE I
    PRESIDENT HAS TO OFFER HERE I THINK AS A CRIMINAL CASE THIS
    THINK AS A CRIMINAL CASE THIS WOULD BE VERY STRONG.
    WOULD BE VERY STRONG. >> MICHAEL STEELE AND TIM MILLER
    >> MICHAEL STEELE AND TIM MILLER FROM THE PARTY FORMERLY KNOWN AS
    FROM THE PARTY FORMERLY KNOWN AS REPUBLICANS.
    REPUBLICANS. LET ME READ YOU FROM WHAT PEGGY
    LET ME READ YOU FROM WHAT PEGGY NUNA SAID.
    NUNA SAID. WHAT WAS BUT MORE DEADLY WAS
    WHAT WAS BUT MORE DEADLY WAS WHAT HAS NEVER BEEN SAID.
    WHAT HAS NEVER BEEN SAID. IN THE TWO MONTHS SINCE SPEAKER
    IN THE TWO MONTHS SINCE SPEAKER NANCY PELOSI ANNOUNCED A FORMAL
    NANCY PELOSI ANNOUNCED A FORMAL IMPEACHMENT INQUIRY WAS UNDERWAY
    IMPEACHMENT INQUIRY WAS UNDERWAY IN THE TWO WEEKS SINCE THE
    IN THE TWO WEEKS SINCE THE INTELLIGENCE COMMITTEE’S PUBLIC
    INTELLIGENCE COMMITTEE’S PUBLIC HEARINGS BEGAN, NO ONE S EVEN IN
    HEARINGS BEGAN, NO ONE S EVEN IN THE WHITE HOUSE HAS SAID
    THE WHITE HOUSE HAS SAID ANYTHING LIKE HE WOULDN’T DO
    ANYTHING LIKE HE WOULDN’T DO THAT OR THAT WOULD BE SO UNLIKE
    THAT OR THAT WOULD BE SO UNLIKE HIM.
    HIM. HIS BEST FRIENDS, KNOW HE WOULD
    HIS BEST FRIENDS, KNOW HE WOULD DO IT, AND IT’S EXACTLY LIKE
    DO IT, AND IT’S EXACTLY LIKE HIM.
    HIM. THE CASE HAS BEEN SO CLEARLY
    THE CASE HAS BEEN SO CLEARLY MADE YOU WONDER WHAT EXACTLY THE
    MADE YOU WONDER WHAT EXACTLY THE SENATE WILL BE LEFT DOING.
    SENATE WILL BE LEFT DOING. HOW WILL THEY HOLD A LENGTHY
    HOW WILL THEY HOLD A LENGTHY TRIAL WITH A CASE THAT IS THIS
    TRIAL WITH A CASE THAT IS THIS CLEAR?
    CLEAR? WHO EXACTLY WILL BE THE
    WHO EXACTLY WILL BE THE PRESIDENT’S WITNESSES?
    PRESIDENT’S WITNESSES? THOSE WHO TESTIFY THEY DIDN’T
    THOSE WHO TESTIFY THEY DIDN’T KNOW WHAT HE APPEARS TO HAVEN’T
    KNOW WHAT HE APPEARS TO HAVEN’T DONE?
    DONE? >> BRAVO FIRST OFF ON THAT
    >> BRAVO FIRST OFF ON THAT PIECE.
    PIECE. BUT I WOULD ANSWER THE QUESTION
    BUT I WOULD ANSWER THE QUESTION OF THE TRIAL ITSELF AS IT WILL
    OF THE TRIAL ITSELF AS IT WILL BE NOTHING MORE THAN A SHOW
    BE NOTHING MORE THAN A SHOW TRIAL.
    TRIAL. IT WILL GO DOWN ONE OF TWO
    IT WILL GO DOWN ONE OF TWO PATHS.
    PATHS. EITHER THOSE IMPEACHMENT
    EITHER THOSE IMPEACHMENT ARTICLES WILL COME TO THE SENATE
    ARTICLES WILL COME TO THE SENATE AND BE PUT IN THE DRAWER OF THE
    AND BE PUT IN THE DRAWER OF THE SENATE PRESIDENT BECAUSE HE
    SENATE PRESIDENT BECAUSE HE FEELS MR. McCONNELL THAT THERE
    FEELS MR. McCONNELL THAT THERE IS NOTHING THAT MERITS A TRIAL,
    IS NOTHING THAT MERITS A TRIAL, OR IF HE FEELS THAT, OKAY, WE’LL
    OR IF HE FEELS THAT, OKAY, WE’LL JUST GO THROUGH THE PROCESS,
    JUST GO THROUGH THE PROCESS, THEY WILL GO THROUGH THE
    THEY WILL GO THROUGH THE PROCESS.
    PROCESS. BUT WE ALREADY KNOW THE VOTE,
    BUT WE ALREADY KNOW THE VOTE, DON’T WE?
    DON’T WE? >> WHY DO WE?
    >> WHY DO WE? >> THE JURORS -- WELL, BECAUSE
    >> THE JURORS -- WELL, BECAUSE THE JURORS HAVE TOLD US AT LEAST
    THE JURORS HAVE TOLD US AT LEAST ONE OF THEM HAS SAID I’M NOT
    ONE OF THEM HAS SAID I’M NOT EVEN GOING TO READ WHAT COMES
    EVEN GOING TO READ WHAT COMES OUT OF THIS, MR. LINDSEY GRAHAM.
    OUT OF THIS, MR. LINDSEY GRAHAM. IMAGINE AS A CITIZEN GOING INTO
    IMAGINE AS A CITIZEN GOING INTO A COURTROOM AND YOU’RE ONE OF
    A COURTROOM AND YOU’RE ONE OF THE JURORS, YOU’RE GOING TO DO
    THE JURORS, YOU’RE GOING TO DO YOUR CIVIC DUTY AND THE GUY NEXT
    YOUR CIVIC DUTY AND THE GUY NEXT TO YOU GOES I AIN’T EVEN GOING
    TO YOU GOES I AIN’T EVEN GOING TO READ THIS STUFF.
    TO READ THIS STUFF. I AIN’T EVEN GOING TO BOTHER
    I AIN’T EVEN GOING TO BOTHER WITH IT.
    WITH IT. THE WHOLE SYSTEM BECOMES
    THE WHOLE SYSTEM BECOMES CORRUPTED.
    CORRUPTED. AND THAT’S THE END GAME HERE.
    AND THAT’S THE END GAME HERE. THAT’S WHAT IT’S BEEN FROM JIM
    THAT’S WHAT IT’S BEEN FROM JIM JORDAN TO LINDSEY GRAHAM.
    JORDAN TO LINDSEY GRAHAM. THIS IS ALL ABOUT CORRUPTING
    THIS IS ALL ABOUT CORRUPTING THIS PROCESS SO VILY THAT THE
    THIS PROCESS SO VILY THAT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE TURNED OFF
    AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE TURNED OFF AND TURNED AWAY.
    AND TURNED AWAY. >> IT IS SUCH A SAD COMMENTARY.
    >> IT IS SUCH A SAD COMMENTARY. AND I’M ONLY PICKING ON MY
    AND I’M ONLY PICKING ON MY FRIEND MICHAEL STEELE BECAUSE I
    FRIEND MICHAEL STEELE BECAUSE I FIND IT, IT GUTS ME THAT THIS IS
    FIND IT, IT GUTS ME THAT THIS IS WHAT THE REPUBLICAN PARTY’S
    WHAT THE REPUBLICAN PARTY’S TURNED INTO, THAT THE CORRUPTION
    TURNED INTO, THAT THE CORRUPTION IS IN THE GOP IN WASHINGTON.
    IS IN THE GOP IN WASHINGTON. THE CORRUPTION ISN’T IN UKRAINE.
    THE CORRUPTION ISN’T IN UKRAINE. I MEAN, I’M JEALOUS THAT PEOPLE
    I MEAN, I’M JEALOUS THAT PEOPLE LIKE MARIE YOVANOVITCH SORT OF
    LIKE MARIE YOVANOVITCH SORT OF WALK THE LINE AND ROOTED OUT
    WALK THE LINE AND ROOTED OUT CORRUPTION.
    CORRUPTION. MAYBE THEY CAN BRING HER TO
    MAYBE THEY CAN BRING HER TO WASHINGTON AND PUT HER TO WORK
    WASHINGTON AND PUT HER TO WORK IN THE CONGRESS, TIM.
    IN THE CONGRESS, TIM. >> EXACTLY WHAT THE PRESIDENT
    >> EXACTLY WHAT THE PRESIDENT AND RUDY GIULIANI ARE ACCUSING
    AND RUDY GIULIANI ARE ACCUSING JOE BIDEN OF DOING IS WHAT THEY
    JOE BIDEN OF DOING IS WHAT THEY DID IN UKRAINE.
    DID IN UKRAINE. IT WAS RUDY GIULIANI WHO WENT TO
    IT WAS RUDY GIULIANI WHO WENT TO UKRAINE WHO HAD BUSINESS
    UKRAINE WHO HAD BUSINESS INTERESTS WHO WANTED THERE TO BE
    INTERESTS WHO WANTED THERE TO BE CHANGES IN THE WAY THAT THEY DID
    CHANGES IN THE WAY THAT THEY DID NATURAL GAS BUSINESS IN UKRAINE
    NATURAL GAS BUSINESS IN UKRAINE BECAUSE HE HAD CLIENTS THERE.
    BECAUSE HE HAD CLIENTS THERE. IT WAS THIS ADMINISTRATION THAT
    IT WAS THIS ADMINISTRATION THAT HAS DONE THAT, AND NOW IN
    HAS DONE THAT, AND NOW IN UKRAINE AND TURKEY AND SAUDI
    UKRAINE AND TURKEY AND SAUDI ARABIA WHERE THEY HAVE
    ARABIA WHERE THEY HAVE BUSINESSES AND WHERE THEY ARE
    BUSINESSES AND WHERE THEY ARE CORRUPT.
    CORRUPT. YOU’RE RIGHT THE ENTIRE SENATE
    YOU’RE RIGHT THE ENTIRE SENATE HAS BEEN CORRUPTED BY THIS.
    HAS BEEN CORRUPTED BY THIS. LINDSEY GRAHAM, THERE WAS A
    LINDSEY GRAHAM, THERE WAS A VIDEO GOING AROUND OF HIM DOING
    VIDEO GOING AROUND OF HIM DOING AN INTERVIEW WITH MY DIFFERENT
    AN INTERVIEW WITH MY DIFFERENT SCOTT CONWAY WHERE HE GETS
    SCOTT CONWAY WHERE HE GETS EMOTIONAL TALKING ABOUT JOE
    EMOTIONAL TALKING ABOUT JOE BIDEN.
    BIDEN. HE SAYS THERE IS NO BETTER MAN
    HE SAYS THERE IS NO BETTER MAN THAN JOE BIDEN.
    THAN JOE BIDEN. AND HERE HE IS TODAY PUTTING
    AND HERE HE IS TODAY PUTTING FORTH JUST A BASICALLY FOR-SHOW
    FORTH JUST A BASICALLY FOR-SHOW INVESTIGATION FOR THE SENATE
    INVESTIGATION FOR THE SENATE THAT HE KNOWS IS B.S. AGAINST
    THAT HE KNOWS IS B.S. AGAINST JOE BIDEN.
    JOE BIDEN. BECAUSE WHATEVER YOU THINK ABOUT
    BECAUSE WHATEVER YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT HUNTER DID AND IT WAS, YOU
    WHAT HUNTER DID AND IT WAS, YOU KNOW, PROBABLY A LITTLE BIT
    KNOW, PROBABLY A LITTLE BIT DIRTY, JOE BIDEN WENT INTO
    DIRTY, JOE BIDEN WENT INTO UKRAINE TO ENCOURAGE --
    UKRAINE TO ENCOURAGE -- >> WHAT WAS DIRTY ABOUT IT?
    >> WHAT WAS DIRTY ABOUT IT? I JUST WANT TO BE CAREFUL WITH
    I JUST WANT TO BE CAREFUL WITH OUR WORDS.
    OUR WORDS. WE HAD 11 WITNESSES PUBLICLY.
    WE HAD 11 WITNESSES PUBLICLY. NO ONE TESTIFIED ANYTHING DIRTY.
    NO ONE TESTIFIED ANYTHING DIRTY. ARE YOU SAYING IT LOOKED BAD?
    ARE YOU SAYING IT LOOKED BAD? >> THE OPTICS ARE TERRIBLE, AND
    >> THE OPTICS ARE TERRIBLE, AND OBVIOUSLY HUNTER BIDEN DOESN’T
    OBVIOUSLY HUNTER BIDEN DOESN’T HAVE THE EXPERTISE IN THIS AREA.
    HAVE THE EXPERTISE IN THIS AREA. I THINK THAT’S A FAIR POINT THAT
    I THINK THAT’S A FAIR POINT THAT THE REPUBLICANS ARE MAKING ON
    THE REPUBLICANS ARE MAKING ON THE HILL.
    THE HILL. BUT HERE IS THE PROBLEM IS THAT
    BUT HERE IS THE PROBLEM IS THAT THEY ARE OBSCURING THE REALITY
    THEY ARE OBSCURING THE REALITY OF THE POINT, WHICH IS THAT JOE
    OF THE POINT, WHICH IS THAT JOE BIDEN, PRESIDENT OBAMA, AND
    BIDEN, PRESIDENT OBAMA, AND MULTIPLE OTHER MEMBERS OF THE
    MULTIPLE OTHER MEMBERS OF THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION WENT INTO
    OBAMA ADMINISTRATION WENT INTO UKRAINE WITH AN EARNEST EFFORT
    UKRAINE WITH AN EARNEST EFFORT TO STOP CORRUPTION.
    TO STOP CORRUPTION. THEY WANTED TO GET RID OF THE
    THEY WANTED TO GET RID OF THE PROSECUTOR BECAUSE HE WASN’T
    PROSECUTOR BECAUSE HE WASN’T PROSECUTING THE COMPANY THAT
    PROSECUTING THE COMPANY THAT HUNTER BIDEN WORKED FOR.
    HUNTER BIDEN WORKED FOR. THAT WAS A GENUINE
    THAT WAS A GENUINE ANTI-CORRUPTION EFFORT.
    ANTI-CORRUPTION EFFORT. SO, WHAT JOE BIDEN DID --
    SO, WHAT JOE BIDEN DID -- >> CAN I JUST SAY?
    >> CAN I JUST SAY? HERE’S WHAT ELSE THEY ARE
    HERE’S WHAT ELSE THEY ARE OBSCURING.
    OBSCURING. IF A REAL CRIME HAPPENED DONALD
    IF A REAL CRIME HAPPENED DONALD TRUMP SITS ATOP THE PART OF THE
    TRUMP SITS ATOP THE PART OF THE GOVERNMENT WHERE HE CAN PICK UP
    GOVERNMENT WHERE HE CAN PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL THE JUSTICE
    THE PHONE AND CALL THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT WITH A TIP.
    DEPARTMENT WITH A TIP. THEY’VE GOT TIP LINES.
    THEY’VE GOT TIP LINES. IF A REAL CRIME HAPPENED, YOU
    IF A REAL CRIME HAPPENED, YOU DON’T CALL A FAKE CORRUPTION
    DON’T CALL A FAKE CORRUPTION HUNTER LIKE RUDY GIULIANI.
    HUNTER LIKE RUDY GIULIANI. >> AND BY THE WAY, THAT GOES
    >> AND BY THE WAY, THAT GOES DOUBLY TRUE FOR RON JOHNSON AND
    DOUBLY TRUE FOR RON JOHNSON AND LINDSEY GRAHAM AND ALL THOSE
    LINDSEY GRAHAM AND ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHO WERE IN THE SENATE
    PEOPLE WHO WERE IN THE SENATE WHEN THIS HAPPENED.
    WHEN THIS HAPPENED. LIKE, THIS WASN’T IN ANCIENT
    LIKE, THIS WASN’T IN ANCIENT HISTORY.
    HISTORY. THE REPUBLICANS CONTROLLED THE
    THE REPUBLICANS CONTROLLED THE HOUSE AND THE SENATE WHEN JOE
    HOUSE AND THE SENATE WHEN JOE BIDEN WAS GOING OVER TO UKRAINE
    BIDEN WAS GOING OVER TO UKRAINE TO DO ANTI-CORRUPTION EFFORTS.
    TO DO ANTI-CORRUPTION EFFORTS. IF THEY THOUGHT THAT THE DEAL
    IF THEY THOUGHT THAT THE DEAL WAS ROTTEN, THEY COULD HAVE DONE
    WAS ROTTEN, THEY COULD HAVE DONE INVESTIGATIONS THEN.
    INVESTIGATIONS THEN. THEY DIDN’T.
    THEY DIDN’T. RON JOHNSON SIGNED A LETTER
    RON JOHNSON SIGNED A LETTER SAYING HE AGREED THAT THE
    SAYING HE AGREED THAT THE PROSECUTOR SHOULD BE FIRED.
    PROSECUTOR SHOULD BE FIRED. IT’S ALL A FARCE.
    IT’S ALL A FARCE. >> WELL, YOU KNOW, IT DOESN’T
    >> WELL, YOU KNOW, IT DOESN’T HAVE TO BE.
    HAVE TO BE. MAYBE I HAVE WATCHED TOO MANY
    MAYBE I HAVE WATCHED TOO MANY ERIN SORKIN MOVIES, BUT THERE IS
    ERIN SORKIN MOVIES, BUT THERE IS STILL A SCENARIO WHERE I THOUGHT
    STILL A SCENARIO WHERE I THOUGHT SOME TECTONIC PLATES SHIFTED
    SOME TECTONIC PLATES SHIFTED THIS WEEK.
    THIS WEEK. I THOUGHT ONE OF THEM WAS GORDON
    I THOUGHT ONE OF THEM WAS GORDON SONDLAND’S SORT OF EARLY MORNING
    SONDLAND’S SORT OF EARLY MORNING RELEASE OF HIS STATEMENT WHERE
    RELEASE OF HIS STATEMENT WHERE HE SAID EVERYBODY WAS IN ON IT.
    HE SAID EVERYBODY WAS IN ON IT. I WASN’T ROGUE, I WASN’T PART OF
    I WASN’T ROGUE, I WASN’T PART OF AN IRREGULAR POLICY CHANNEL.
    AN IRREGULAR POLICY CHANNEL. THIS WAS THE CHANNEL.
    THIS WAS THE CHANNEL. IT WAS RUN BY DONALD TRUMP, VICE
    IT WAS RUN BY DONALD TRUMP, VICE PRESIDENT PENCE AND MIKE POMPEO.
    PRESIDENT PENCE AND MIKE POMPEO. THIS WAS THE CHANNEL.
    THIS WAS THE CHANNEL. AND THEN I THOUGHT THE PLATE
    AND THEN I THOUGHT THE PLATE SHIFTED AGAIN WHEN FIONA HILL
    SHIFTED AGAIN WHEN FIONA HILL CAME IN YESTERDAY AND SAID YOU
    CAME IN YESTERDAY AND SAID YOU ARE DOING RUSSIA’S WORK FOR
    ARE DOING RUSSIA’S WORK FOR THEM.
    THEM. DO WE REALLY THINK THERE IS NO
    DO WE REALLY THINK THERE IS NO SCENARIO WHERE IF JOHN BOLTON
    SCENARIO WHERE IF JOHN BOLTON WERE TO SORT OF FIND RELIGION
    WERE TO SORT OF FIND RELIGION AND WALK IN AND TESTIFY IN A
    AND WALK IN AND TESTIFY IN A SENATE TRIAL THAT REPUBLICANS
    SENATE TRIAL THAT REPUBLICANS WHO HAVE TRUSTED JOHN BOLTON FOR
    WHO HAVE TRUSTED JOHN BOLTON FOR DECADES WOULDN’T SAY H-MMM?
    DECADES WOULDN’T SAY H-MMM? >> I THINK THE ONE VARIABLE HERE
    >> I THINK THE ONE VARIABLE HERE IS PUBLIC OPINION.
    IS PUBLIC OPINION. WE HAVE SEEN THAT SHIFTED SINCE,
    WE HAVE SEEN THAT SHIFTED SINCE, FOR EXAMPLE, THE MUELLER
    FOR EXAMPLE, THE MUELLER INVESTIGATION, IT SEEMED TO GO
    INVESTIGATION, IT SEEMED TO GO ON AND ON, HARD TO WRAP YOUR
    ON AND ON, HARD TO WRAP YOUR HEAD AROUND.
    HEAD AROUND. THE LAST TWO WEEKS HAS PAINTED A
    THE LAST TWO WEEKS HAS PAINTED A FAIRLY CLEAR PICTURE.
    FAIRLY CLEAR PICTURE. WE ARE GOING INTO A BREAK WHERE
    WE ARE GOING INTO A BREAK WHERE WE ARE GOING TO HAVE PEOPLE AND
    WE ARE GOING TO HAVE PEOPLE AND THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO TALK
    THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO TALK ABOUT POLITICS AT THE
    ABOUT POLITICS AT THE THANKSGIVING TABLE, BUT I HAVE A
    THANKSGIVING TABLE, BUT I HAVE A FEELING THAT THAT WILL BE
    FEELING THAT THAT WILL BE HAPPENING.
    HAPPENING. AND PEOPLE HAVE BEEN, LOOK, WHEN
    AND PEOPLE HAVE BEEN, LOOK, WHEN I TRAVELED ACROSS.
    I TRAVELED ACROSS. I’VE BEEN EVERYWHERE FROM
    I’VE BEEN EVERYWHERE FROM CALIFORNIA TO THE EAST COAST AND
    CALIFORNIA TO THE EAST COAST AND THE MIDWEST.
    THE MIDWEST. EVERYONE STOPS AND ASKS ABOUT
    EVERYONE STOPS AND ASKS ABOUT THE IMPEACHMENT.
    THE IMPEACHMENT. IT’S ON PEOPLE’S MINDS.
    IT’S ON PEOPLE’S MINDS. PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BE TALKING
    PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BE TALKING ABOUT IT.
    ABOUT IT. >> PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BE
    >> PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BE DIGESTING WHAT HAS HAPPENED OVER
    DIGESTING WHAT HAS HAPPENED OVER THE LAST TWO WEEKS.
    THE LAST TWO WEEKS. AND THEY ARE GOING TO BE -- THE
    AND THEY ARE GOING TO BE -- THE LAWMAKERS ARE GOING TO BE
    LAWMAKERS ARE GOING TO BE HEARING FROM THEM ABOUT IT.
    HEARING FROM THEM ABOUT IT. IF THAT SHIFTS PARTICULARLY SOME
    IF THAT SHIFTS PARTICULARLY SOME MORE MODERATE REPUBLICANS WE MAY
    MORE MODERATE REPUBLICANS WE MAY HEAR FOLKS BEGIN TO SPEAK OUT
    HEAR FOLKS BEGIN TO SPEAK OUT MORE, THAT MIGHT TIP THE NEEDLE.
    MORE, THAT MIGHT TIP THE NEEDLE. >> WELL, THEY MIGHT NOT BE
    >> WELL, THEY MIGHT NOT BE REPUBLICAN.
    REPUBLICAN. I CAN SEE MICHAEL STEELE SHAKING
    I CAN SEE MICHAEL STEELE SHAKING HIS HEAD.
    HIS HEAD. LET ME COME BACK TO JOYCE.
    LET ME COME BACK TO JOYCE. I THINK THAT A LARGE SWATH OF
    I THINK THAT A LARGE SWATH OF THE AMERICAN PUBLIC THAT MAY NOT
    THE AMERICAN PUBLIC THAT MAY NOT BE THE ONES THAT WATCH PRIME
    BE THE ONES THAT WATCH PRIME TIME ON ANY CABLE NEWS CHANNEL.
    TIME ON ANY CABLE NEWS CHANNEL. BUT A PART OF THE PUBLIC HAS NOW
    BUT A PART OF THE PUBLIC HAS NOW WATCHED, AND THEY MAY NOT HAVE
    WATCHED, AND THEY MAY NOT HAVE BEEN COMPELLED BY OR MOVED BY OR
    BEEN COMPELLED BY OR MOVED BY OR ALARMED BY THE MUELLER HEARING.
    ALARMED BY THE MUELLER HEARING. BUT THEY LEARNED THAT ROBERT
    BUT THEY LEARNED THAT ROBERT MUELLER COULDN’T TOUCH DONALD
    MUELLER COULDN’T TOUCH DONALD TRUMP BECAUSE A SITTING
    TRUMP BECAUSE A SITTING PRESIDENT CAN’T BE INDICTED.
    PRESIDENT CAN’T BE INDICTED. THEY MIGHT NOT HAVE WATCHED
    THEY MIGHT NOT HAVE WATCHED MICHAEL COHEN TESTIFIED BUT THEY
    MICHAEL COHEN TESTIFIED BUT THEY KNEW SOME OTHER GUY ASSOCIATED
    KNEW SOME OTHER GUY ASSOCIATED WITH TRUMP IS SITTING IN JAIL.
    WITH TRUMP IS SITTING IN JAIL. BUT DONALD TRUMP EVEN THOUGH
    BUT DONALD TRUMP EVEN THOUGH HE’S AN UNINDICTED
    HE’S AN UNINDICTED CO-CONSPIRATOR THERE, HE CAN’T
    CO-CONSPIRATOR THERE, HE CAN’T GO TO JAIL BECAUSE HE’S
    GO TO JAIL BECAUSE HE’S PRESIDENT.
    PRESIDENT. SO HE CAN’T GET IN TROUBLE IN
    SO HE CAN’T GET IN TROUBLE IN ANY FEDERAL CRIMINAL
    ANY FEDERAL CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION.
    INVESTIGATION. NOW HE CAN’T GET IN TROUBLE FOR
    NOW HE CAN’T GET IN TROUBLE FOR A CRIME HE CONFESSES TO ON THE
    A CRIME HE CONFESSES TO ON THE SOUTH LAWN OF THE WHITE HOUSE
    SOUTH LAWN OF THE WHITE HOUSE THAT 17 PEOPLE WHO WORK FOR THEM
    THAT 17 PEOPLE WHO WORK FOR THEM HALF OF THEM HE PICKED HIMSELF
    HALF OF THEM HE PICKED HIMSELF ATTESTED TO?
    ATTESTED TO? I THINK DONALD TRUMP MAYBE
    I THINK DONALD TRUMP MAYBE SHOULD BE ACCOUNTABLE TO
    SHOULD BE ACCOUNTABLE TO SOMEBODY.
    SOMEBODY. >> I THINK THAT YOU’VE
    >> I THINK THAT YOU’VE IDENTIFIED THE PROBLEM.
    IDENTIFIED THE PROBLEM. AND IT GOES BACK TO WHAT KIM
    AND IT GOES BACK TO WHAT KIM SAID ABOUT HOW IMPORTANT PUBLIC
    SAID ABOUT HOW IMPORTANT PUBLIC OPINION IS HERE IN SOME WAYS
    OPINION IS HERE IN SOME WAYS MAYBE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE
    MAYBE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE EVIDENCE ITSELF.
    EVIDENCE ITSELF. BECAUSE THE PROBLEM IS HALF OF
    BECAUSE THE PROBLEM IS HALF OF THE COUNTRY IS APPALLED BY THE
    THE COUNTRY IS APPALLED BY THE NOTION THAT A PRESIDENT WOULD
    NOTION THAT A PRESIDENT WOULD SUCCEED IN HOLDING HIMSELF ABOVE
    SUCCEED IN HOLDING HIMSELF ABOVE THE LAW.
    THE LAW. BUT THERE IS ANOTHER HALF OF THE
    BUT THERE IS ANOTHER HALF OF THE COUNTRY THAT SAYS WE LIKE THIS
    COUNTRY THAT SAYS WE LIKE THIS GUY, THIS IS WHAT WE SIGNED UP
    GUY, THIS IS WHAT WE SIGNED UP FOR, HE IS SOMEBODY WHO’S ALWAYS
    FOR, HE IS SOMEBODY WHO’S ALWAYS HAD ANIMOSITY FOR THE SYSTEM.
    HAD ANIMOSITY FOR THE SYSTEM. THEY DON’T SEEM TROUBLED BY IT.
    THEY DON’T SEEM TROUBLED BY IT. SO WHAT WE SEE HAPPENING I THINK
    SO WHAT WE SEE HAPPENING I THINK ESPECIALLY IN THE WAKE OF
    ESPECIALLY IN THE WAKE OF DR. HILL’S TESTIMONY AND THE
    DR. HILL’S TESTIMONY AND THE REPORTING TODAY THAT THE SENATE
    REPORTING TODAY THAT THE SENATE HAS BEEN BRIEFED BY THE
    HAS BEEN BRIEFED BY THE INTELLIGENCE COMMUNITY ON THE
    INTELLIGENCE COMMUNITY ON THE FACT THAT MOSCOW HAS BEEN
    FACT THAT MOSCOW HAS BEEN RUNNING SINCE AT LEAST 2017 AN
    RUNNING SINCE AT LEAST 2017 AN EFFORT TO PUSH THIS UKRAINIAN
    EFFORT TO PUSH THIS UKRAINIAN NARRATIVE THAT IT WAS UKRAINE
    NARRATIVE THAT IT WAS UKRAINE NOT MOSCOW THAT WAS RESPONSIBLE
    NOT MOSCOW THAT WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR INTERFERENCE IN THE 2016
    FOR INTERFERENCE IN THE 2016 ELECTION.
    ELECTION. THE SHIFT THAT WILL HAVE TO COME
    THE SHIFT THAT WILL HAVE TO COME IS THAT THE AMERICAN PUBLIC WILL
    IS THAT THE AMERICAN PUBLIC WILL HAVE TO LOOK AT THAT PIECE OF
    HAVE TO LOOK AT THAT PIECE OF THE PUZZLE AND SORT OF BACK UP
    THE PUZZLE AND SORT OF BACK UP FROM ALL OF THE EVIDENCE ALL OF
    FROM ALL OF THE EVIDENCE ALL OF THE TREES AND LOOK AT THE WHOLE
    THE TREES AND LOOK AT THE WHOLE FOREST AND SAY THE SOVIET UNION
    FOREST AND SAY THE SOVIET UNION MAY HAVE LOST THE COLD WAR BUT
    MAY HAVE LOST THE COLD WAR BUT PUTIN HAS EXTRACTED A HELL OF A
    PUTIN HAS EXTRACTED A HELL OF A PAYBACK ON US TRYING TO TEAR US
    PAYBACK ON US TRYING TO TEAR US APART TRYING TO MANIPULATE US.
    APART TRYING TO MANIPULATE US. AND IT’S ONLY AT THE POINT WHERE
    AND IT’S ONLY AT THE POINT WHERE PUBLIC OPINION SHIFTS AND SAYS
    PUBLIC OPINION SHIFTS AND SAYS WE WON’T STAND FOR THIS AND
    WE WON’T STAND FOR THIS AND CONVEYS THAT TO THEIR
    CONVEYS THAT TO THEIR LEGISLATORS, TO THEIR REPUBLICAN
    LEGISLATORS, TO THEIR REPUBLICAN SENATORS THAT THERE’S REALLY ANY
    SENATORS THAT THERE’S REALLY ANY CHANCE THAT THERE IS REAL
    CHANCE THAT THERE IS REAL MOVEMENT.
    MOVEMENT. I THINK IN SOME WAYS THAT
    I THINK IN SOME WAYS THAT OVERALL VISION IS MORE IMPORTANT
    OVERALL VISION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE INDIVIDUAL PIECES OF
    THAN THE INDIVIDUAL PIECES OF EVIDENCE BECAUSE THEY’RE DAMNING
    EVIDENCE BECAUSE THEY’RE DAMNING BUT THEY HAVEN’T CREATED ANY
    BUT THEY HAVEN’T CREATED ANY MOVEMENT.
    MOVEMENT. >> MICHAEL STEELE.
    >> MICHAEL STEELE. >> YEAH.
    >> YEAH. I THINK THAT LAST POINT IS THE
    I THINK THAT LAST POINT IS THE CRUX TO THIS.
    CRUX TO THIS. I JUST DON’T SEE THAT MOVEMENT
    I JUST DON’T SEE THAT MOVEMENT HAPPENING.
    HAPPENING. I THINK THE PRESIDENT AND HIS
    I THINK THE PRESIDENT AND HIS TEAM VERY MUCH AS WE SAW WITH
    TEAM VERY MUCH AS WE SAW WITH THE MUELLER CASE HAVE BEEN
    THE MUELLER CASE HAVE BEEN SOMEWHAT SUCCESSFUL WITH
    SOMEWHAT SUCCESSFUL WITH CREATING A NARRATIVE IN WHICH
    CREATING A NARRATIVE IN WHICH THIS IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS THE
    THIS IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS THE DEMOCRATS.
    DEMOCRATS. NOTICE DURING THIS ENTIRE THING,
    NOTICE DURING THIS ENTIRE THING, DEMOCRATS TALKED ABOUT MY
    DEMOCRATS TALKED ABOUT MY COLLEAGUES, THE GENTLEMAN ACROSS
    COLLEAGUES, THE GENTLEMAN ACROSS THE AISLE.
    THE AISLE. REPUBLICANS EMPHASIZED THE
    REPUBLICANS EMPHASIZED THE DEMOCRATS ARE DOING THIS, THE
    DEMOCRATS ARE DOING THIS, THE DEMOCRATS ARE DOING THIS.
    DEMOCRATS ARE DOING THIS. THEY HAVE POLITICIZED THIS THING
    THEY HAVE POLITICIZED THIS THING DOWN TO THE POINT WHERE IT IS
    DOWN TO THE POINT WHERE IT IS ALMOST MEANINGLESS TO SOME
    ALMOST MEANINGLESS TO SOME VOTERS.
    VOTERS. AND THE POLLING RIGHT NOW IS
    AND THE POLLING RIGHT NOW IS SHOWING PEOPLE BACKING OFF OF
    SHOWING PEOPLE BACKING OFF OF THIS IDEA OF MOVING FORWARD WITH
    THIS IDEA OF MOVING FORWARD WITH IMPEACHMENT.
    IMPEACHMENT. SO, THERE HAS BEEN SOME SUCCESS
    SO, THERE HAS BEEN SOME SUCCESS BY WHAT WE’VE SEEN IN THE HOUSE
    BY WHAT WE’VE SEEN IN THE HOUSE AND THE PERFORMANCES THAT TOOK
    AND THE PERFORMANCES THAT TOOK PLACE OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF
    PLACE OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS.
    WEEKS. THE PRESIDENT SPENDING 53
    THE PRESIDENT SPENDING 53 MINUTES ON FOX NEWS THIS
    MINUTES ON FOX NEWS THIS MORNING.
    MORNING. DO YOU HAVE A JOB, DO YOU WORK?
    DO YOU HAVE A JOB, DO YOU WORK? HOW DO YOU HAVE 53 MINUTES ON
    HOW DO YOU HAVE 53 MINUTES ON TELEVISION, RIGHT?
    TELEVISION, RIGHT? BUT THAT’S THE POINT.
    BUT THAT’S THE POINT. THE MOST IMPORTANT JOB IS TO
    THE MOST IMPORTANT JOB IS TO DUMB DOWN THE CONVERSATION AND
    DUMB DOWN THE CONVERSATION AND TO DRIVE HOME THE NARRATIVE THAT
    TO DRIVE HOME THE NARRATIVE THAT JUST AS THERE WAS NO COLLUSION
    JUST AS THERE WAS NO COLLUSION THERE IS STILL NO QUID PRO QUO.
    THERE IS STILL NO QUID PRO QUO. >> DO YOU THINK ANYBODY BELIEVES
    >> DO YOU THINK ANYBODY BELIEVES THAT?
    THAT? >> YES.
    >> YES. A LOT MORE THAN WE PROBABLY WANT
    A LOT MORE THAN WE PROBABLY WANT TO ADMIT.
    TO ADMIT. AND YOU’RE GOING TO HEAR A LOT
    AND YOU’RE GOING TO HEAR A LOT OF THAT THIS THANKSGIVING DINNER
    OF THAT THIS THANKSGIVING DINNER AROUND TURKEY.
    AROUND TURKEY. >> SEE, I THINK THEY BELIEVE IT
    >> SEE, I THINK THEY BELIEVE IT BECAUSE DONALD TRUMP SAID IT.
    BECAUSE DONALD TRUMP SAID IT. I THINK THEY DON’T CARE.
    I THINK THEY DON’T CARE. I MEAN, I DON’T DISAGREE ON THE
    I MEAN, I DON’T DISAGREE ON THE POLITICS.
    POLITICS. BUT I ACTUALLY THINK THIS IS
    BUT I ACTUALLY THINK THIS IS DIFFERENT.
    DIFFERENT. I THINK THAT THEY BOUGHT THERE
    I THINK THAT THEY BOUGHT THERE WAS NO COLLUSION BECAUSE, AS
    WAS NO COLLUSION BECAUSE, AS FRIENDS OF DONALD TRUMP WILL
    FRIENDS OF DONALD TRUMP WILL TELL YOU PRIVATELY, THEY DON’T
    TELL YOU PRIVATELY, THEY DON’T THINK HE IS SMART ENOUGH TO
    THINK HE IS SMART ENOUGH TO COLLUDE WITH VLADIMIR PUTIN.
    COLLUDE WITH VLADIMIR PUTIN. BUT I THINK EVERYBODY THINKS
    BUT I THINK EVERYBODY THINKS THAT HE’S DIRTY ENOUGH TO HAVE
    THAT HE’S DIRTY ENOUGH TO HAVE HELD OVER THE HEAD OF A FRAGILE

English - en

12. Thanks Sigfried thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

State Department Releases Ukraine Documents to American Oversight

On Friday evening, the State Department released nearly 100 pages of records in response to American Oversight’s lawsuit seeking a range of documents related to the Trump administration’s dealings with Ukraine.

Among other records, the production includes emails that confirm multiple contacts in March of 2019 between Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani, at least one of which was facilitated by President Trump’s assistant Madeleine Westerhout.

American Oversight is reviewing the production to assess whether the State Department has fully complied with the court’s order. Notes on what we’ve found are below.

“We can see why Mike Pompeo has refused to release this information to Congress. It reveals a clear paper trail from Rudy Giuliani to the Oval Office to Secretary Pompeo to facilitate Giuliani’s smear campaign against a U.S. ambassador.

“This is just the first round of disclosures. The evidence is only going to get worse for the administration as its stonewall strategy collapses in the face of court orders.

“That American Oversight could obtain these documents establishes that there is no legal basis for the administration to withhold them from Congress. That conclusively shows that the administration is engaged in obstruction of justice. The president and his allies should ask themselves if impeachment for obstruction is worth it if the strategy isn’t even going to be effective.

“This lawsuit is just one of several American Oversight is pursuing to bring transparency to the Ukraine investigation. The public should expect more disclosures, over the administration’s strong objection, for the foreseeable future.”

Post Thanks / Like

Meanwhile on the right:

End Times broadcaster Rick Wiles used his most recent “TruNews” program to rail against an alleged “Jew coup” that he believes is working to impeach President Donald Trump.

Wiles, who is deeply anti-Semitic and dedicates many of his TruNews programs to railing against Israel and the Jews—yet still regularly receives press credentials from the Trump administration—titled his Friday night program, “Jew Coup: Seditious Jews Orchestrating Trump Impeachment Lynching” and spent an hour and a half viciously attacking various Jewish members of Congress, the media, and the government.

“That’s the way the Jews work, they are deceivers, they plot, they lie, they do whatever they have to do to accomplish their political agenda,” Wiles said. “This ‘impeach Trump’ effort is a Jew coup and the American people better wake up to it really fast because this thing is moving now toward a vote in the House and then a trial in the Senate. We could have a trial before Christmas. This country could be in civil war at Christmastime. Members of the U.S. military are going to have to take a stand just like they did in the 1860s with the Civil War. They are going to have to decide: are you fighting for the North or the South?”

“People are going to be forced, possibly by this Christmas, to take a stand because of this Jew coup in the United States,” he added. “This is a coup led by Jews to overthrow the constitutionally elected president of the United States and it’s beyond removing Donald Trump, it’s removing you and me. That’s what’s at the heart of it.”

“You have been taken over by a Jewish cabal,” Wiles continued. “The church of Jesus Christ, you’re next. Get it through your head! They’re coming for you. There will be a purge. That’s the next thing that happens when Jews take over a country, they kill millions of Christians.”

Putin: Maybe Jews or minorities behind US election interference

Jewish groups are criticizing Russian President Vladimir Putin after he suggested Russian minorities such as Jews or Tatars could be behind alleged meddling in the 2016 US presidential election.

"Maybe they're not even Russians," he said. "Maybe they're Ukrainians, Tatars, Jews, just with Russian citizenship. Even that needs to be checked. Maybe they have dual citizenship. Or maybe a green card. Maybe it was the Americans who paid them for this work. How do you know? I don't know."

15. Likes Sigfried liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Full report here.

Key Findings of Fact

Based on witness testimony and evidence collected during the impeachment inquiry, the Intelligence Committee has found that:

I. Donald J. Trump, the 45th President of the United States—acting personally and through his agents within and outside of the U.S. government—solicited the interference of a foreign government, Ukraine, in the 2020 U.S. presidential election. The President engaged in this course of conduct for the benefit of his reelection, to harm the election prospects of a political opponent, and to influence our nation’s upcoming presidential election to his advantage. In so doing, the President placed his personal political interests above the national interests of the United States, sought to undermine the integrity of the U.S. presidential election process, and endangered U.S. national security.

II. In furtherance of this scheme, President Trump—directly and acting through his agents within and outside the U.S. government—sought to pressure and induce Ukraine’s newly-elected president, Volodymyr Zelensky, to publicly announce unfounded investigations that would benefit President Trump’s personal political interests and reelection effort. To advance his personal political objectives, President Trump encouraged the President of Ukraine to work with his personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani.

III. As part of this scheme, President Trump, acting in his official capacity and using his position of public trust, personally and directly requested from the President of Ukraine that the government of Ukraine publicly announce investigations into (1) the President’s political opponent, former Vice President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. and his son, Hunter Biden, and (2) a baseless theory promoted by Russia alleging that Ukraine—rather than Russia—interfered in the 2016 U.S. election. These investigations were intended to harm a potential political opponent of President Trump and benefit the President’s domestic political standing.

IV. President Trump ordered the suspension of $391 million in vital military assistance urgently needed by Ukraine, a strategic partner, to resist Russian aggression. Because the aid was appropriated by Congress, on a bipartisan basis, and signed into law by the President, its expenditure was required by law. Acting directly and through his subordinates within the U.S. government, the President withheld from Ukraine this military assistance without any legitimate foreign policy, national security, or anti-corruption justification. The President did so despite the longstanding bipartisan support of Congress, uniform support across federal departments and agencies for the provision to Ukraine of the military assistance, and his obligations under the Impoundment Control Act.

V. President Trump used the power of the Office of the President and exercised his authority over the Executive Branch, including his control of the instruments of the federal government, to apply increasing pressure on the President of Ukraine and the Ukrainian government to announce the politically-motivated investigations desired by President Trump. Specifically, to advance and promote his scheme, the President withheld official acts of value to Ukraine and conditioned their fulfillment on actions by Ukraine that would benefit his personal political interests:

A. President Trump—acting through agents within and outside the U.S. government—conditioned a head of state meeting at the White House, which the President of Ukraine desperately sought to demonstrate continued United States support for Ukraine in the face of Russian aggression, on Ukraine publicly announcing the investigations that President Trump believed would aid his reelection campaign.

B. To increase leverage over the President of Ukraine, President Trump, acting through his agents and subordinates, conditioned release of the vital military assistance he had suspended to Ukraine on the President of Ukraine’s public announcement of the investigations that President Trump sought.

C. President Trump’s closest subordinates and advisors within the Executive Branch, including Acting Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Secretary of Energy J. Richard Perry, and other senior White House and Executive Branch officials had knowledge of, in some cases facilitated and furthered the President’s scheme, and withheld information about the scheme from the Congress and the American public.

VI. In directing and orchestrating this scheme to advance his personal political interests, President Trump did not implement, promote, or advance U.S. anti-corruption policies. In fact, the President sought to pressure and induce the government of Ukraine to announce politically-motivated investigations lacking legitimate predication that the U.S. government otherwise discourages and opposes as a matter of policy in that country and around the world. In so doing, the President undermined U.S. policy supporting anti-corruption reform and the rule of law in Ukraine, and undermined U.S. national security.

VII. By withholding vital military assistance and diplomatic support from a strategic foreign partner government engaged in an ongoing military conflict illegally instigated by Russia, President Trump compromised national security to advance his personal political interests.

VIII. Faced with the revelation of his actions, President Trump publicly and repeatedly persisted in urging foreign governments, including Ukraine and China, to investigate his political opponent. This continued solicitation of foreign interference in a U.S. election presents a clear and present danger that the President will continue to use the power of his office for his personal political gain.

IX. Using the power of the Office of the President, and exercising his authority over the Executive Branch, President Trump ordered and implemented a campaign to conceal his conduct from the public and frustrate and obstruct the House of Representatives’ impeachment inquiry by:

A. refusing to produce to the impeachment inquiry’s investigating Committees information and records in the possession of the White House, in defiance of a lawful subpoena;

B. directing Executive Branch agencies to defy lawful subpoenas and withhold the production of all documents and records from the investigating Committees;

C. directing current and former Executive Branch officials not to cooperate with the Committees, including in defiance of lawful subpoenas for testimony; and

D. intimidating, threatening, and tampering with prospective and actual witnesses in the impeachment inquiry in an effort to prevent, delay, or influence the testimony of those witnesses.

In so doing, and despite the fact that the Constitution vests in the House of Representatives the “sole Power of Impeachment,” the President sought to arrogate to himself the right to determine the propriety, scope, and nature of an impeachment inquiry into his own misconduct, and the right to deny any and all information to the Congress in the conduct of its constitutional responsibilities.

17. Likes Sigfried liked this post

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7